PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Report Cards are Out!

Phil C
03-01-2005, 10:14 AM
This is regarding the new academic requirements for athletes. This preliminary report cards are merely warnings to show where schools need to improve and if they don't they could be penalized. As I understand it a score of 925 out of 1000 is passing. They are still working some kinks out of it too. UT scored low (833) in men's basketball and slightly below it in baseball (919). One of the reasons men's basketball was low was because some players like Ford went to the pros early and the NCAA is working to correct that problem. Both the Texas and Oklahoma football programs which have been observed carefully by some passed. Overall UT scored 946 which is two points above the Division 1 Average. The UT women did outstandingly well scoring perfect scores (1000) in women's golf, softball :), and tennis. Women's basketball at UT scored 966 and the women's soccer scored 963 :).

Phil C
03-01-2005, 10:14 AM
I encourage fans of other schools to give us a report also.

Phil C
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Speaking of maybe why these rules are getting strict I will give you a little NCAA history to the younger ones. Back in 1969 Texas won the National Championship in football and James Street was a senior and the star quarterback of the Texas team. Back then the fall semester didn't end until two weeks after you got back from the Christmas and New Year's holidays. He played all season and then in the cotton bowl on New Year's Day. Right after the students got back in January he withdrew from college which meant that he got a W for withdraw on all classes that he took. This created an uproar at the time but the thing is that it was perfectly legal at the time and that it wasn't just Texas athletes that did it but he got the attention because of the national championship.

AggieJohn
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
yeah we scored low in football and men's bball

Phil C
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
yeah we scored low in football and men's bball

Hey Aggie I bet your women athletes scored pretty high in most cases.

sahen
03-01-2005, 05:43 PM
we scored low in men's bball, which seems to happen when ur teams leaves....women's tennis was low too but we had a mass exodus last year because of more talent coming in so they were almost all transfers...i think men's tennis was like 1 or 2 points low but they r supposed to make a new system for small squad sports like tennis and such because one person transfering would put u under in those situations....the only sport that wouldve gotten us in trouble w/ their report was men's bball and i think that would've been understandable to the NCAA being that everyone left and we only have 1 player from that team here...

Rainman
03-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Rice Univerity was tops in Texas, (number 5 on the nation wide list) with an average of 981. The lowest scorer was mens basketball and yet all teams were well over the 925 standard. Only Rice exceeded that mark in all sports (ranked first in twelve out of the thirteen varisty sports it plays). SMU, North Texas and TCU are the only other Texas Division 1-A schools that have no teams in jeopardy.

BrahmaMom
03-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks for noticing, Rainman. I am proud of the Rice Owls! They get the whole package there--tremendous education first and foremost, D-I athletics, great people and one of the top cities in the nation. Congratulations to Rice University for maintaining high standards!

mwynn05
03-01-2005, 11:14 PM
What schools were the top 5?

Keith7
03-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaMom
Thanks for noticing, Rainman. I am proud of the Rice Owls! They get the whole package there--tremendous education first and foremost, D-I athletics, great people and one of the top cities in the nation. Congratulations to Rice University for maintaining high standards!

They have a heck of a basketball player in J.R. Harrison too..

BrahmaMom
03-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Top Ten:
1. Stanford
2. Navy
3. Duke
4. Rutgers
5. RICE
6. BC
7. Ole Miss
8. Iowa (BrahmaDad's alma mater)
9. Miami (OH)
10. UConn.UVA (tie)

BrahmaMom
03-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Keith, they have some fine young men on the basketball court, as people as well as talent. Both Harris and McKreith have gone through tremendous personal adversity and continue to play their hearts out. Rice plays as a team in every sport--they win as a team and they lose as a team, a concept I really like. Though I'd rather win, than lose, as a team. I hope you got to see some of their basketball season. GO OWLS!!

ej2525
03-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Where is the site you are viewing these scores?

BrahmaMom
03-02-2005, 11:05 AM
I saw it on www.ricefootball.net, then go to the forum and it is under the topic Dallas paper APR link.