PDA

View Full Version : Whataburger Field is taking shape

pirate44
03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Each day i drive over the Corpus Christi Harbor bridge to get to work. Whataburger Field has been under construction for about a year now and is looking really sharp. The Astros AA team the Hooks will debut on their new home turf in April and I'm pretty psyched. Backdropped by the bridge and the ship channel, the Field was built to be fan friendly in the same fashion as Dell Diamond in Round Rock. Nolan and Reid Ryan sure do put out a good product.
Corpus Christi Hooks (http://www.cchooks.com/)

Phil C
03-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Does the parking look adequate Pirate? If so then maybe Corpus Christi should be the home of the State Championships instead of Austin. :)

pirate44
03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Does the parking look adequate Pirate? If so then maybe Corpus Christi should be the home of the State Championships instead of Austin. :)
they really are doing a good job with the parking, and pedestrian walkways and lighting. they had cost overruns, but i think its all worth it. after spending money on Columbus replica ships, along with tons of other boondoggles, Corpus Christi finally got something right.:clap:

Phil C
03-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Great News Pirate! Austin has a great field but the parking is always crowded and hard to find a space at times. It would be great if they could move it to Corpus Christi even though it would mean a lot of travel to some teams but then again they could spend spare time enjoying the beach and fishing! :)

pirate44
03-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Great News Pirate! Austin has a great field but the parking is always crowded and hard to find a space at times. It would be great if they could move it to Corpus Christi even though it would mean a lot of travel to some teams but then again they could spend spare time enjoying the beach and fishing! :)
the city really needs to woo these big time hotel chains down here though. that seems to be their downfall. they want to be a tourist destination, but they have (2) 3 star hotels and numerous 1 star hotels. where are the Hyatts, Westins, and HIltons, along with the numerous boutique hotels that make a tourist destination worth visiting?

superslyguy06
03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
hey pirate, i lived in corpus about 10 years ago, and i was wondering, do you remember the Baracudas? cuz i sure do.

pirate44
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by superslyguy06
hey pirate, i lived in corpus about 10 years ago, and i was wondering, do you remember the Baracudas? cuz i sure do.
oh yeah. i went to several games. they had a great product on the field with an amazing amount of talent. but playing at Cabiness was a big turn-off to fans. no beer, poor facilities. not to mention it wasnt MLB affiliated. i still have a team cap.

superslyguy06
03-01-2005, 11:37 AM
i was only about 7 or 8 but i have my cap laying around somewhere to

pirate44
03-01-2005, 12:15 PM
here are just a few pics of the field under construction

http://img146.exs.cx/img146/6679/whataburgerfield017qb.jpg
http://img146.exs.cx/img146/9261/whataburgerfield024sn.jpg
http://img146.exs.cx/img146/5430/whataburgerfield036ce.jpg

District303aPastPlayer
03-01-2005, 12:21 PM
you think it will be physically possible, without steroids... to hit the water

pirate44
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
you think it will be physically possible, without steroids... to hit the water
we did the civil design over there. let me take a look at the drawings and ill get back with ya on that

pirate44
03-01-2005, 12:56 PM
ok, heres the deal, its about 550 ft from home plate to a road (Port Ave. i believe) behind the fence and then another 300 ft to the water in left field. if someone really hit it out there, and somehow got a good bounce on that roadand then maybe a nice breeze caught it, it might could make it in the water. it will definately be a front page story if it ever makes it that far.

pirate44
03-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Phil C, there will be approx 2000 parking spaces around the facilities, but we designed a new dock for the water taxi, which will allow people parking by the marina and old coliseum, or new arena and convention center to ride over on the water taxi.

AP Panther Fan
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
It really is looking good! Construction on this new facility will probably be completed before the renovations to the Harbor Bridge!:rolleyes:

Pirate44, I have been caught in the traffic when they take the bridge down from 6 lanes to two, it is NO FUN! I feel for you having to deal with it on a daily basis.:mad:

pirate44
03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
It really is looking good! Construction on this new facility will probably be completed before the renovations to the Harbor Bridge!:rolleyes:

Pirate44, I have been caught in the traffic when they take the bridge down from 6 lanes to two, it is NO FUN! I feel for you having to deal with it on a daily basis.:mad:
i get to work early enough that there is nothing going on when i come to work. when i go home, i usually go via I37 through odem. just think AP, in 20 years, we'll have a new harbor bridge where the bottom is as high as the current bridge's apex.

Maroon87
03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Between Whataburger Field and Fairgrounds Field in Robstown, I'm sure there will be tons of HS playoffs at those facilities, in addition to the Hooks, Aviators, and the area college teams. If you are a hardcore baseball fan, you have just reached heaven...

AP Panther Fan
03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i get to work early enough that there is nothing going on when i come to work. when i go home, i usually go via I37 through odem. just think AP, in 20 years, we'll have a new harbor bridge where the bottom is as high as the current bridge's apex.

Really? I didn't know there were long-term plans for that. Interesting....:thinking:

AP Panther Fan
03-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
If you are a hardcore baseball fan, you have just reached heaven...

Amen! :)

pirate44
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Really? I didn't know there were long-term plans for that. Interesting....:thinking:
even before that gets started, there will be a major highway going up along the orth end of the ship channel connecting 181 to I37 near Southern Minerals Rd. i believe.