PDA

View Full Version : Ballinger Coach?

vet93
02-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Well.....from some of the other boards it sounds like that if Greenwood doesn't take Coach Owens....then Monahans will....dang it:( Do you guys know anyone who wants to move to Ballinger? We have some great classes coming up...several undefeated.....we are in a tough district but have good facilities (renovated football stadium, new track, relatively new gym). Hopefully, these are all just rumors, but I have a feeling that they are not! Good luck to Coach Owens if he does move on to greener pastures.

Wtx_coach
02-28-2005, 07:10 PM
by tonight both of the jobs are his I hear, I wander which one he will pick!!

VWG
02-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Tough luck. He is a very good coach.
Coach from 1A Windthorst would be a good pick up if he wanted to move up to 2A football.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Tough luck. He is a very good coach.
Coach from 1A Windthorst would be a good pick up if he wanted to move up to 2A football.

Yes he would be a great choice.

VWG
02-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Well.....from some of the other boards it sounds like that if Greenwood doesn't take Coach Owens....then Monahans will....dang it:( Do you guys know anyone who wants to move to Ballinger? We have some great classes coming up...several undefeated.....we are in a tough district but have good facilities (renovated football stadium, new track, relatively new gym). Hopefully, these are all just rumors, but I have a feeling that they are not! Good luck to Coach Owens if he does move on to greener pastures.

I was thinking that he would be a strong candidate with all the jobs that have opened up this year.
What I have learned is that if Ballinger had the $$ to keep him he would probably stay. If a coach is comfortable where he is at then as long he is being paid accordingly there is no reason to move and uproot the family. On the other hand, an extra $10 to $15k a year is a lot of change to lay lying on the ground.

GreenMonster
03-01-2005, 01:08 AM
The rumors I have been hearing about Windthorst's Bill Green is that he is one of the front runners for the Graham HS opening. It has been a solid month since I have heard anything new on this though. I'm unsure as to what Graham has done in that time. For all I know, they have allready hired someone. Green would be a great pick-up for any school. He will bring along one heck of a good athlete in his son Brad, a junior with 2 full years of starting varsity experience including 1 State title and 2 trips to the State Semi-Finals. Green has build Windthorst into a perenial class A powerhouse over the past 10 or so years including 2 state titles in that period. If Green leaves, look for Windthorst to hire from within as they have an excellent assistant on staff with previous AD experience in Scott Belcher.

VWG
03-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
The rumors I have been hearing about Windthorst's Bill Green is that he is one of the front runners for the Graham HS opening. It has been a solid month since I have heard anything new on this though. I'm unsure as to what Graham has done in that time. For all I know, they have allready hired someone. Green would be a great pick-up for any school. He will bring along one heck of a good athlete in his son Brad, a junior with 2 full years of starting varsity experience including 1 State title and 2 trips to the State Semi-Finals. Green has build Windthorst into a perenial class A powerhouse over the past 10 or so years including 2 state titles in that period. If Green leaves, look for Windthorst to hire from within as they have an excellent assistant on staff with previous AD experience in Scott Belcher.

Graham ISD hasn't hired anybody yet.... rumors have it that Brady McCoy from Tuscola Jim Ned(2A) is the front runner, along with a HC from 5A Georgetown High School.

VWG
03-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Correction..... Brad McCoy not Brady.

vet93
03-01-2005, 10:02 AM
I wish that we could pay more but we are just on the eastern edge of the oil money and while we have a couple of good employers in town (Muellers and Buddy's Plant Plus), we still don't quite have the tax base to really bump up the salaries to compete with some of the jobs out west. Ballinger does have some intangibles though....Central location, near both Abilene and San Angelo, close to lake Ivie, close to Lowake Steakhouse!!! Winning tradition and pretty good facilities to name a few. This next year was really looking up for Coach Owens because he has almost every starter coming back with fairly strong classes coming up through the ranks. If he does leave, it will be interesting to see who applies. Last time there was over 100 applicants.

Originally posted by VWG
I was thinking that he would be a strong candidate with all the jobs that have opened up this year.
What I have learned is that if Ballinger had the $$ to keep him he would probably stay. If a coach is comfortable where he is at then as long he is being paid accordingly there is no reason to move and uproot the family. On the other hand, an extra $10 to $15k a year is a lot of change to lay lying on the ground.