PDA

View Full Version : Bellville loses to Mexia

BrahmaMom
02-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Got a loud phone call, apparently right after the game, that the Brahmas had gone down in the second half, after a 25-25 score at halftime. A biased fan reported poor officiating, but the loss was by 11, so sounds like Mexia played a better ball game. Congratulations to Mexia. Also, Brahmas, Bellville is very proud of the season you had. Hold your heads high. 22?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-26-2005, 12:21 AM
The officiating in this game was very bad, Mexia had a very good team but Bellville was playing just as good or even better at times until the refs took Bellville out of this one. I belive anyone on the Bellville side would say the same.
Great season to the players, just bad you had to play the refs and Mexia, in this one!!!!!!
If Bulls-eye was there I would like to get his opionion on this one?

Adidas410s
02-26-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
The officiating in this game was very bad, Mexia had a very good team but Bellville was playing just as good or even better at times until the refs took Bellville out of this one. I belive anyone on the Bellville side would say the same.
Great season to the players, just bad you had to play the refs and Mexia, in this one!!!!!!
If Bulls-eye was there I would like to get his opionion on this one?

Yes thats right because the refs decided to get into officiating so that they can screw over one team. Come on...give me a freakin' break! At least say "we just didnt play well or we would have killed 'em." Or better yet "Mexia played a great game!" That would be the best thing to say but I guess that isn't possible for some of us is it? Remind me though how many shots that Bellville missed that refs caused them to miss or that Mexia made that the refs helped them make? Yeah just checking...

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I will give you a freakin break if you were at the game, and if you were you would have said the same. I also talked to some Mexia fans, and they were in agrement the refs were very bad. So if you were there you have a right to talk, if not keep you coments to yourself!!!!!!

punt
02-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I talked to a friend last night after the game. He actually wanted Bellville to win because they are in our district. His opinion was that Mexia's playoff experience, coach and players, became a factor. Bellvilles big guy got into foul trouble early and mgmt of his playing time at the end of the second quarter was questionable. Clock and shot selection could have been better utilized also. Congrats to Bellville for becoming more than a one sport school. Congrats to Mexia for winnng. It's too bad when the refs become a factor in who wins. Just another opinion.

Gobbla2001
02-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I'd cheer for Bellville in this one if I were there...

However, it was by 11 points, not two or 3...

So, if the refs had caused Bellville to miss 4 two-point shots and a three (or whatever else happens) then I'd agree with you...

I know refs are usually bad, but they're usually horrible all-around, not just one-sided (to clear this up, I do not mean refs are really 'bad', they're just not going to make every call because sometimes they do not see it or do not see it as a foul, so don't attack me, refs, it's understandable, to me)...

BUT, I wasn't there, so I wouldn't know, I'd just like to know what exactly happened, and if Mexia had any bad calls...

You REALLY can't expect people to listen to the 'bad ref' call if you do not go into explanation...

Adidas... The refs screwed us against you guys (jk)... Congrats btw...

Bull's-eye
02-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Yes, I did get to see this game. Congratulations to Mexia on their victory.

In my opinion, this was a poor performance by the officiating crew. You would think that in the play-offs, the better crews would be used. I know that the 5A & 4A teams gets the top officials and the lower classes get the leftovers. I did see several bad calls go against Bellville and few bad calls against Mexia. Did it change the outcome of the game? I don't know, but it definately made sure Bellville didn't win.

No, the refs didn't cost Bellville to miss 4 two-point plays and a three. They did cause Bellville to play most of the 3rd quarter without their big man and one of their starting guards. The Refs didn't know the difference between a charge or blocking foul. Bellville led by 8 in the second quarter, but Mexia battled back to tie the game at the end of the first half. Bellville had a chance to break this game wide open, but several bad calls prevented this from happening. Two plays were Bellville had cleanly slapped the ball away, but fouls were called. On one play the Mexia blocked a ball after it had hit the backboard. This should of been goal tending. A few plays later, Bellville blocks a ball on the way up to the basket and they now decide to call goal tending. The worst call of the night was kind of funny. A Mexia player jumped on the back of a Bellville player and as he attempted to shoot the Ref called him for traveling. Mexia made their run in the 3rd quarter. They could finally go inside with Bellville's big man sitting with foul trouble. Yes, Refs can change the outcome of a game, even a 11 point game. Some people may read these comments and think what a bunch of sore losers. I just feel bad for any player that has his dreams taken away by poor officiating.

Congratulations to Bellville on a great season!

marlin fan
02-27-2005, 12:30 AM
well i wasnt there so i cant say anything but i have to agree with globba2001 the refs cant catch every little thing!! and the person who makes the most baskets wins not the one who has the least fouls!! but anyways Great season Bellville and good luck Mexia keep on repin D 18 AAA!!!!!

BrahmaMom
02-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Bull'sEye, for a replay of the game. Seems we were in foul trouble within the first minutes of the game. It sounded like all around a poorly called game. Too bad, Bulls, but we love you!

Gobbla2001
02-27-2005, 12:18 PM
A Mexia player jumped on a Bellville player's back?

Now I don't see how any ref can miss a kid getting a piggy-back ride...

So basically, from what I have gathered here with the goal-tending calls, Bellville should have scored two and Mexia shouldn't have, fair enough...

Mexia wins by 9...

Your big guy on the bench? Better teams usually have better benches, because a big guy STAYS in foul trouble most of the season if he is working hard against smaller/quicker guys...

How many points does that player average a game, and how many did he score against Mexia?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-27-2005, 12:52 PM
If you want to call it a piggy-back ride, that is what it was, and yes he was on his back, and the ref, called a travel on Bellville.
How can a ref miss that one you say, the Bellville fans would like to know!
Once again a very poor called game by the Refs, or sould I say the guys in the striped shirts pretending to be refs!!!!!

Gobbla2001
02-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
If you want to call it a piggy-back ride, that is what it was, and yes he was on his back, and the ref, called a travel on Bellville.
How can a ref miss that one you say, the Bellville fans would like to know!
Once again a very poor called game by the Refs, or sould I say the guys in the striped shirts pretending to be refs!!!!!

Poor games get called, not joke about that, I agree with all of you on that...

But there are no refs strong enough to keep a significantly better team from beating the lesser of the two... by 11 points...

Just think about it this way, guys... If it were a 1-point victory for Mexia, and it was an obvious call, EVERYONE KNEW IT, even the Mexia players, than I'd say y'all have every right to be tearing it down on this website...

And Bull's-Eye, I agree about feeling bad for any player who has his dreams taken away by poor officiating myself, and what you are doing now isn't much better, you're mentally taking away that victory from every Mexia player who gave it their all to win by 11 points...

Few bad calls for Mexia? If they had not had those, they may have drained three three-pointers in a row, then you'd be defending a 20-point loss...

I'm atleast glad you gave Mexia a congratulations in this reply... But lay off of Mexia, some of those players that played their butts off and had nothing to do with the officiating may be reading this board right now...

Or you can just call 'em all a buncha losers, whichever...

Bull's-eye
02-27-2005, 06:10 PM
I was asked my opinion of this game. I saw a poor officiated game. Unlike some of the other posters, I attended this game.

Lay off Mexia? I never said anything bad about Mexia. Their #21 played a great game and is an awesome player. They play great in your face defense and looked to be a well coached team.

Gobla2001, I don't know what kind of math you practice, but 2 goal-tending plays would of been a 4 point difference. Most players would rather win a fairly officiated game. If Mexia feels that they benefited from the refs, then they should have something taken away from their victory. Now, what about those Bellville players? Don't they deserve a better officiated game? They played their butts off, gave their all, and they had nothing to do with the officiating. Now, lets assume that Bellville drained 3's after everyone of their bad calls. They would of won this game easily.

I read several posts about the Wylie/Cuero state football game? I read where the refs weren't calling offensive holding against Wylie. Doesn't this take something away from the Wylie players? I didn't reply to these posts because I didn't see that game.

Gobbla2001
02-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I was asked my opinion of this game. I saw a poor officiated game. Unlike some of the other posters, I attended this game.

Lay off Mexia? I never said anything bad about Mexia. Their #21 played a great game and is an awesome player. They play great in your face defense and looked to be a well coached team.

Gobla2001, I don't know what kind of math you practice, but 2 goal-tending plays would of been a 4 point difference. Most players would rather win a fairly officiated game. If Mexia feels that they benefited from the refs, then they should have something taken away from their victory. Now, what about those Bellville players? Don't they deserve a better officiated game? They played their butts off, gave their all, and they had nothing to do with the officiating. Now, lets assume that Bellville drained 3's after everyone of their bad calls. They would of won this game easily.

I read several posts about the Wylie/Cuero state football game? I read where the refs weren't calling offensive holding against Wylie. Doesn't this take something away from the Wylie players? I didn't reply to these posts because I didn't see that game.

I didn't even see the Wylie posts, Wylie beat us fair and square in my opinion...

Forgive me, for I did screw up on the math...

Yah Bellville deserves a better officiated game, but Mexia deserves to be given the win, and if you believe that these kids should have their dreams, complain to the refs or whoever in private, not on a public forum for all of Mexia to read... Have some pride in your school and yourself, let them enjoy their win (and that goes for everyone)...

You lost by 11 points, and since my math was off, I'll say 7, that's still a three possession ball game...

Go to that texasprepxtra site, there is a Wimberly poster saying Yoakum won because they were screwed by the refs, go tell him about it...

I will say that I have complained many times about officiating, but only if Cuero has won the game, so that I do not take away from the Victory of the other team...

Hell, you could pm everything that happened, and I'd listen to it, just don't do it infront of everyone... geez, like something a kid does at walmart before he gets his butt whupped, whine in public...

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Gobbla, I agree with Bulls-eye, and I saw the game, no one is wineing in Wal-mart, he is just telling the truth, If you were there you have the right to give an oppinion, were you there? We saw the game and the refs were a big factor in Bellville losing this one!
11 points is not that big of a diiferance when you have 6 or more bad calls against a team!

Gobbla2001
02-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Well here's an assignment for you two then...

Contact the Mexia coaches and every Mexia player and have them contact me saying you told them that the refs, not Mexia, had a big part in winning that game... then I'll believe you that they were that screwed...

That's the only reason I didn't wanna get into this discussion, because I was NOT there... I can see both of you in this point...

Gobbla2001
02-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Well here's an assignment for you two then...

Contact the Mexia coaches and every Mexia player and have them contact me saying you told them that the refs, not Mexia, had a big part in winning that game... then I'll believe you that they were that screwed...

That's the only reason I didn't wanna get into this discussion, because I was NOT there... I can see both of you in this point...

And if you stand behind that belief SOOO much, you'll do this...

marlin fan
02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
lol im sure Mexia got their share of unfair falls or what ever so blah just drop it Mexia won bellville lost!!! nothing we can do about it now !!

BrahmaMom
02-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the sympathy, marlinfan. From all accounts, the officiating was sub-par and affected the game. That comes from dispassionate fans who are knowledgable. My initial report came from an emotional adolescent, so I withheld judgement till I heard from every present source I have come across. This in NO way takes anything away from Mexia--hey, they won, they obviously have a strong team and lots to be proud of. After playing Marlin over the years and observing their fans and players' behavior, I certainly hope we didn't come across like some of your folks did. We are licking our wounds and wondering "What if..." A few tough calls, especially poor calls, can change the momentum of the game up to eleven points over a half a game. Yes, Bellville had to play against Mexia and the refs, but as my old high school coach used to say,"a good team can beat the refs." Congratulations again to Mexia. Best of luck as they continue in their quest. I will be cheering for our other Austin County team, the Sealy Tigers!!! Go Tigers.

marlin fan
02-27-2005, 11:52 PM
yeah mom yall kinda came across that way!! but i know we are gonna move on from this.... good luck to yall next year!!! GO MEXIA KEEP REP'IN D 18 AAA!!!

UPanIN
02-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I didn't see this game but its the same old song and dance from Bellville.

They lose its not because they played a better team, always the refs had something to do with it. Doesn't matter what sport.

Bellville kids always compete well and they give their fans many reasons to be proud of them. Bellville fans need to learn to accept the loss and give Ups to the other team. (Some do)

I'm not looking for a fight with the Bellville fans just an outsiders observation over the years. I'm sure we all could do better at this.

Bellville22
02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by UPanIN
I didn't see this game but its the same old song and dance from Bellville.

They lose its not because they played a better team, always the refs had something to do with it. Doesn't matter what sport.

I know what you mean... I'm still not over the 30-6 (or something like that) loss to Marlin in the football playoffs last year. The refs really screwed us in that deal. Oh, and that loss to Bandera two years back... don't the officials know that if they're blitzing the entire game and we can't pick it up, that should eventually turn into and illegal play and be flagged, what were they thinking. :rolleyes:

Seriously 'UPanIN', throw me some evidence before you make statements like that. One incident I can recall (and I can recall alot of Bellville sports history) from my lifetime is the Illegal Man Downfield call against Marlin '03 at Kyle Field. But that was one play (and Bellville scored on the drive), and NO ONE took away from the fact that Marlin simply played 2 points better than Bellville that night.

The other is not from my lifetime, but I understand Bellville fans are quite upset over the reffing in the State Championship game in 1960. That poor officiating, however, was acknowledged by many of the Denver City supporters, as well as neutral fans.

Alright, I've provided you with 2 incidents (neither which really fits your claim), so do your homework, dig me up some dirt, and I'll eat my crow.

venomous tat2
02-28-2005, 12:15 PM
i wasn't there but congrats to bellville and mexia, the red mustache wanted to be there but he has the flu. if the call were bad on bellville it was for a reason mexia is very good and state ranked and everybody in r-3 is looking foward to a mexia/manor
showdown bellville on the other hand put up a heck of a fight that would have spoiled that m&m match up and they wern't going to let that happen(ref's ). That's what i think and i don't care what anybody else think's LOL. :thinking: :D

UPanIN
02-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Alright, I've provided you with 2 incidents (neither which really fits your claim), so do your homework, dig me up some dirt, and I'll eat my crow.

Well let's see. How about the beginning of this thread 22.

Bull's-eye
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Now I know why I shouldn't of posted my views of the game. I guess the refs in 3a are perfect and they never call a bad game. I've been told to lay off Mexia, I have never said anything bad about Mexia. I was told that I'm taking away from Mexia's victory and I sound like a kid crying at Wal-Mart. Somebody asked for details about the bad calls and then they say you should of sent a private message. Then I read on another post that Wimberly (Bellville Jr.) had complained about officiating. Geez! Some people just don't know when to quit. I'm sure will hear more.

fullhouse
02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
well, I wasn't at the game either, but have talked to Sealy people who were, and they ALL told me that the officiating was VERY biased and that is what cost Bellville the game. They said it was very obvious. I know lots of folks have said that poor officiating can't lose it for you, but I completely disagree with that. When 2 evenly matched teams meet up, biased officiating will make the difference in the ball game. JMO

Bellville22
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
(deleted)

The human head weighs 8 lbs.

marlin fan
02-28-2005, 05:02 PM
oh lordy!!! lol i have to say that yall are worse than marlin and i'm sure there are a few people on here that agree with me

UPanIN
02-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Bellville22. I also said this.

"Bellville fans need to learn to accept the loss and give Ups to the other team. (Some do)"

I'm aware that some Bellville fans do a good job of giving the other team respect when you get beat.

I guess I could spend time searching for threads but whats the point. Any example I give will never get you to the crow table. I stand by what I said and maybe Bellville fan will leave the refs out of the picture next time. Not holding my breath though.

Baseball is here and I'm sure "OLD BLUE" will have a few choice words thrown at him before the season is over.

Bull's-eye
02-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Fullhouse, I wanted to say that I admire the outstanding sportsmanship your son displayed during the first Bellville/Sealy game. Late in the game, one of the Bellville players fouled one of the Sealy players. It was a very hard and deliberate foul. Your son stepped in and kept his fellow player from retaliating. He really defused a potential bad situation. He's also a pretty good basketball player. Good luck in the play-offs!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Hey 22 did you read the post before yours? Sounds like there are other people saying the refs had a lot to do with this game!

BrahmaMom
02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I wasn't at this game, I am only saying that consistently, across the board, fans felt like the refs were a factor in this game. They can cost momentum, as I've said before, that could change things considerably. Too bad the officiating wasn't topnotch, then there would be no "whining" or question. 22, you dug up some old memories, there. Don't eat crow until the proof is there, and I don't think it's going to appear this time. fullhouse, thanks for your input from the other side of Austin County. And yes, her baby plays with grace and dignity, Bull'sEye--he's a heck of a young man! Let's get ready for baseball--GO BRAHMAS!!

28OptionOn2
02-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I watched the game in question, and both schools have very talented basketball teams. Mexia won the game, and while there were some questionable calls going either way, Bellville did have their chances to either make the game closer or even win it. However, the Bulls turned the ball over way too many times to beat a quality team like Mexia. Another thing that Bellville failed to do was block out on the backside boards. Mexia had too many offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points for Bellville to win. Having said that, the game might have been different if Mosley had not have picked up his 4th foul in the early to mid 3rd quarter. These things are just my opinion, but it seems to me that y'all are getting very close to a chicken/egg argument here. The game is over, Mexia won, and now both teams (and fan bases) have to move on. Sure it's fun to debate and talk about it, but let's not lose our tempers over a game and an outcome that can't be changed now.

Oh, and Bellville22, as long as we're bringing up some old school things, what about the clock operator in Bellville in 1977? From what I remember, he cost Sealy a shot at the state championship that year because he stopped the clock at the end of the game when the refs were signaling for the clock to run. Eric Dickerson clearly tackled the Bellville ball carrier in bounds so the clock should have run. The stopped clock however, allowed Bellville to get the FG unit on the field to kick the game winning FG, and Bellville won 15-13. Bellville doesn't always receive unfair officiating, especially when competing in Bellville.

Bellville22
02-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN

I guess I could spend time searching for threads but whats the point. Any example I give will never get you to the crow table. I stand by what I said and maybe Bellville fan will leave the refs out of the picture next time. Not holding my breath though.

C'mon now, don't give up so easily. If there's one thing I'll do, it's honor my word. You show me proof that your statement is accurate, and I'll eat my crow w/ bbq sauce, and you'll make a friend on this board. I love Bellville, but moreso I respect people's comments, and if yours are correct, then more power to you.

And it's the fact that you "stand by what [you] said" that bothers me, because basically you're standing by a comment that accuses a town of being a certain way simply because of what one or two fans say.

I beg you to not back out now. I would appreciate if you would find some evidence or retract your statement. I don't mean to come off as arrogant, although I'm sure I am (and I apologize), I just can't stand a shot at my school like that.

Bellville22
02-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 28OptionOn2

Oh, and Bellville22, as long as we're bringing up some old school things, what about the clock operator in Bellville in 1977? From what I remember, he cost Sealy a shot at the state championship that year because he stopped the clock at the end of the game when the refs were signaling for the clock to run. Eric Dickerson clearly tackled the Bellville ball carrier in bounds so the clock should have run. The stopped clock however, allowed Bellville to get the FG unit on the field to kick the game winning FG, and Bellville won 15-13. Bellville doesn't always receive unfair officiating, especially when competing in Bellville.

Oh yea, I have heard about this one too. It was a little before my time still, but I've heard the stories. Sounds like a screwy deal. It's nice that in most places now they have a ref-crew member running the clock, cause a home operator is a powerful weapon.

BrahmaMom
02-28-2005, 09:31 PM
22, I would call you "confident" not "arrogant"--you are way too respectful (and accurate most of the time) to be arrogant. You are also loyal--wouldn't want to be on the opposing team! The youngest of the four attended, and he never gives when he's accurate (a common family trait which leads to loud dinner discussions), can calmly state days later he still thinks the refs were terrible. Between the two of you, I'd have to assume they weren't the best. That said, Mexia won, and I wish them well. The old Deer Park saying of "a good team can beat the refs" rings in my ears to this day (scary, isn't it??). I am sorry the senior Brahmas didn't get to have more fun. Good luck, Tigers!

fullhouse
03-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Bulls-eye and BrahmaMom! ( I'm very proud of that boy! ). Thanks for the "Good Luck" wishes too ~ we're going to have our hands full with Mexia tonight, but the boys are really up for it.

KL3
03-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Gobbla2001, the player in question is Nick Mosely. He averaged 20 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks a game this year, and he is only a Junior. He is a 6'8" Power Forward/Center, and is ranked as the 57th best Jr. prospect in the state by Texas Hoops.com, including the #2 ranked Jr. prospect in 3A.

KL3
03-04-2005, 10:19 PM
ttt for Gobbla2001.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I havent read the sports in the bellville times yet, but heard the sports writer and coach, say the same about the officiating in the game. Any one read the sports yet?

marlin fan
03-04-2005, 11:18 PM
some poster on this board that will remain nameless said to shut up!!! yall lost get over it!!!

HighSchool Fan
03-04-2005, 11:25 PM
it's a sad day when a team can't accept losing and has to blame the refs for their own shortcomings.

AggiesAreWe
03-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Bellville get over it. Mexia whooped ya just like Silsbee whooped
Mexia tonight.

Silsbee 77 Mexia 63

BrahmaMom
03-05-2005, 12:02 AM
FBB: The Times article was as harsh as I've ever heard our astute editor be regarding the officiating. We are over it, we lost, Mexia obviously has some staying power. But I haven't heard anyone state that it was average or above average or even acceptable. That is a shame in the play-offs.

KL3
03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I really don't have a comment on the officiating since I wasn't at the game, the reason I brought this back to the top was to point out the specific player that was in foul trouble.

I'm just saying that Mosley wasn't some role-player on Bellville's team who would not have affected the outcome of the game. He changes the game not only on offense, but on defense as well.

KL3
03-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by punt
Congrats to Bellville for becoming more than a one sport school.

Punt, I don't know if you were being serious or not with this statement, but I'd really have to question it. Bellville has been the dominant sports program in its district for a good while now.

Did you know that 2 years ago I believe, Bellville won like 11 out of 14 possible district championships? I challenge you to find another school anything close to that.

Football - won 5 straight district championships
Volleyball - have dominated district for 25 years, 8 state championships, 3rd most in Texas, finished ranked 10th this season
Baseball - many district championships, made playoffs something like 19/20 years, 1 State Championship, 1 runner up
Boys Track - Have won 7 straight district championships
Girls Track - Have won 5/7 last district championships
Softball - currently ranked #5 in state, 3 state appearances
Girls Cross Country - finished 5th in state this year
Girls Tennis - dominated district, send girls to state most years
Girls Golf - tied for 5th at state last year, no seniors on team
Boys Cross Country - have done very well in district over the years
Boys and Girls Basketball- have been the weakest sport in the program, girls just missed out on playoffs this year, boys won a playoff game first time since early 90's.

Didn't mean to write a book here, but when you throw out a ridiculous statment like that, you need to be able to back it up.

Wanted to add this also, this year Bellville will be sending their tennis team to state for a 10th consecutive year as well.

Punt, still no reply?

BrahmaMom
03-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Nice review, KL3. I enjoyed reminiscing over some of those seasons. Your class was fun to watch! Bellville has been a dominant sports school in many areas for years, I am glad to see the basketball season becoming more fun. Now, on to Brahma Baseball--Go Bulls!!