PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Picks for week 4

Wtx_coach
09-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Permian vs. Lubbock Monterey- going to take the panthers on this one by 14, Monterey is improving but seems to be falling short, I do think they will be allright in the district.

Andrews vs. Greenwood- I know andrews lost to sweetwater and Greenwood beat Sweetwater, but im still taking the Andrews Mustangs over Greenwood by 10.

Pecos vs. Crane- Pecos is coming off a disappointing lost against Brownfield, and Crane is 3-0 and should be moving up in the top 10 poll this week, im taking Crane by 14,Cranes defense is probably one of the best in 2A.

Ft.Stockton vs. Snyder- Snyder hasnt been playing good ball yet this year, This game here will be a defensive battle, im taking the tigers by 10

Midland Lee vs. Louisville- Lee will break through in this game, im taking the rebels by 3, and yes I still think they will be in the playoffs!!

huthut
09-22-2002, 06:01 PM
i like your picks coach, i will take andrews by 8, but the rangers are still agood team regardless of the outcome

snyder by 10 over ft.stockton, but snyder better be ready

crane vs pecos= crane by 7, the eagles must regroup and make this a contest they take on 5a lubbock high next , could might as well start district 1-4, thecranes have one of the best teams in west tx, regardless of classification, plus they have a darn good coach in allen cherry

lewisville over lee by 12

Wtx_coach
09-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey hut, yes the eagles might be 1-4 going into district, all they have to do is beat kermit in the fisrt week of district, then they just have to beat monahans or stockton and they are in, no excuses but Pecos has players out and should be at full strength come district.

vet93
09-23-2002, 08:58 AM
I think that Snyder will feast on the Panthers. I predict a blowout by at least 21 points. Ft. Stockton has lost to both Ozona and C-city. Both of these teams are decent 2a squads but are not any where near the caliber of team that the Tigers have played.

ACE25
09-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Lee and Lewisville should be a good one. Both are struggling right now. I think Lee will take this one by three.

Wtx_coach
09-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by vet93:
I think that Snyder will feast on the Panthers. I predict a blowout by at least 21 points. Ft. Stockton has lost to both Ozona and C-city. Both of these teams are decent 2a squads but are not any where near the caliber of team that the Tigers have played.

Hey vet, remeber though stockton had a great defense, so if snyders offense dont pick up it could easily be a tight ball game,

hsguru
09-23-2002, 08:13 PM
Greenwood

Wylie over sweetwater

Ft. Stockton

Permian

Lewisville

Wtx_coach
09-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by hsguru:
Greenwood

Wylie over sweetwater

Ft. Stockton

Permian

Lewisville

Here my take if Stockton beat Snyder friday night, Snyder will not make the playoffs unless some drastic changes are made!!

vet93
09-24-2002, 03:10 PM
If for some reason Snyder doesn't make the playoffs, then who would be the DI representative? Who is bigger Sweetwater or Lamesa? By the way...I will stand by my prediction...Snyder by 21 and they will make the playoffs. Of course this prediction may be the kiss of death for the Tigers!!!

Originally posted by Wtx_coach:
Here my take if Stockton beat Snyder friday night, Snyder will not make the playoffs unless some drastic changes are made!!

Wtx_coach
09-24-2002, 03:15 PM
If for some reason Snyder doesn't make the playoffs, then who would be the DI representative? Who is bigger Sweetwater or Lamesa? By the way...I will stand by my prediction...Snyder by 21 and they will make the playoffs. Of course this prediction may be the kiss of death for the Tigers!!!

Yes vet it may be the kiss of death for thje tigers, but I really dont think so, oh yea It would be Lamesa representing the big school division either playing Pecos or Ft. Stockton.

wildstangs
09-24-2002, 07:03 PM

I have thought about that also, but have been to lazy to look up the numbers. By gosh we better not go Big School. I want this week to be the last week we see Abilene Wylie. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

huthut
09-25-2002, 04:23 PM
hey stang, after playing andrews , i would'nt be scared of wylie, beat there buts , bunch of preps , its like playing a 4aaaa team again, every year they miss it by 1, someone knows someone,good luck

pero chato
09-25-2002, 06:17 PM
OK. Let me educate you huthut. Don't try to stereotype all the kids at Wylie as "a bunch of preps." Every school has their preps, punks, etc., including yours. But those of us that are rednecks take offense at being called "preps". Sounds like a sissy name. As far as missing 4A by one student, again you are off base. The UIL sets the classification limits, and they are friends with NO ONE. There are a lot of 3As bigger than Wylie including Everman, and they missed the cutoff by a couple of students. The schools submit their enrollments in the fall. The UIL then analyzes the data collected and in the following Jan/Feb timeframe realigns the classification limits; and I'm guessing here; to keep about the same number of schools in each classification. Wylie missed it by at least 70 students this last round. Moving on --as I mentioned in an earlier post, Sweetwater's record is deceiving. A couple of breaks and they are 4-0. Thanks for the compliment, Wildstangs, let me return it. I don't think we want to see Sweetwater twice in one year either! Here's to an injury free game.

wildstangs
09-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by pero chato:
OK. Let me educate you huthut. Don't try to stereotype all the kids at Wylie as "a bunch of preps." Every school has their preps, punks, etc., including yours. But those of us that are rednecks take offense at being called "preps". Sounds like a sissy name. As far as missing 4A by one student, again you are off base. The UIL sets the classification limits, and they are friends with NO ONE. There are a lot of 3As bigger than Wylie including Everman, and they missed the cutoff by a couple of students. The schools submit their enrollments in the fall. The UIL then analyzes the data collected and in the following Jan/Feb timeframe realigns the classification limits; and I'm guessing here; to keep about the same number of schools in each classification. Wylie missed it by at least 70 students this last round. Moving on --as I mentioned in an earlier post, Sweetwater's record is deceiving. A couple of breaks and they are 4-0. Thanks for the compliment, Wildstangs, let me return it. I don't think we want to see Sweetwater twice in one year either! Here's to an injury free game.

Cant wait until Friday night!

tors2002
09-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by pero chato:
For once I kinda agree with huthut. I know the schools send their enerollment in the fall to the UIL. I would not put it past alot of schools to lobby the UIL Officials to raise or lower the enrollment levels for each class. It does change each time and is not a set count. I am not saying that Wylie has done this but I know schools definitely want successful programs no matter the cost. That is why Odessa Permian is where they are today, rebuilding. If you think that UIL Officials are not being lobbied by schools then you need to go to Austin and watch the political world that goes on down there. I know, it is all about the benjamins that are being passed around.

wildstangs
09-25-2002, 10:51 PM
Permian
Andrews
Crane
Snyder
Midland Lee
Sweetwater

pero chato
09-26-2002, 09:04 AM
I grow weary explaining and defending the classification process. I know lobbying occurs. But can you imagine the scandel that would destroy the UIL if they accepted money to keep the enrollment numbers a certain level? There are a lot of schools that bumped up to 4A with money, and yet the UIL still set the limits as they saw fit. I know for a fact that Wylie fully expected to go 4A three alignments ago. That's why Coach Sandifer loaded 4As in predistrict. I suppose every school whose attendance hovers around the limits will be accused of bribing the UIL. If you look at ALL classifications across the state, you will see that there are too many factors involved for the UIL to appease a few schools. I.E.; If I set the limits on 4A for a school that has bribed me, it affects the 5As and the 3As, and so on down the line. Not to mention that it's a committee, not an individual that sets the numbers. And as you know, a large enrollment doesn't guaranty a successful program. I think the two division playoff process is a good idea to help level the playing field. But,it's a free county, you can believe what you want. We'll just disagree agreeably.

vet93
09-26-2002, 12:06 PM
I honestly don't think that Wylie has done anything to manipulate the UIL. They have been fortunate to have a team at the top end of the classification as far as numbers go. Good fortune does not mean that they are doing anything dishonest. The administrators and school people at Wylie have a good reputation. To make statements that question the honesty of their school district without any evidence does nothing but perpetuate an unsubstantiated myth. For those of you who don't know me and think that I am just being a homer don't bother to respond. I am a Ballinger fan. We have to play Wylie every year in every sport. It is sometimes hard to watch your team have 10-15 people on the sideline and Wylie has 30-40, but there is not anything that we can do about it but compete. It is not Wylie's fault that they have good numbers and it is not their fault that they have a coach and program that can do something with those numbers. By the way...I refuse to give up the right to whine if the Bulldogs beat us again this year!!!

vet93
09-26-2002, 12:27 PM
duplicate...deleted

[This message has been edited by vet93 (edited September 26, 2002).]

pero chato
09-26-2002, 01:47 PM
You are a fine man, Vet93. I appreciate your comments. But I might be the one "whining" about getting beat this year. I remember not too long ago when Ballinger would hammer us on a regular basis. I'm sure y'all still lead the series, if anyone is keeping count. We put a lot of kids on the sideline for every game, however most of them are JV players, and there are usually two squads of JV. We still have a lot that go both ways on varsity. But of course it's always good to have a lot of participation. Hope y'all get healed up and have a great season!

wildstangs
09-26-2002, 05:32 PM
I honestly don't think that Wylie has done anything to manipulate the UIL. They have been fortunate to have a team at the top end of the classification as far as numbers go. Good fortune does not mean that they are doing anything dishonest. The administrators and school people at Wylie have a good reputation. To make statements that question the honesty of their school district without any evidence does nothing but perpetuate an unsubstantiated myth. For those of you who don't know me and think that I am just being a homer don't bother to respond. I am a Ballinger fan. We have to play Wylie every year in every sport. It is sometimes hard to watch your team have 10-15 people on the sideline and Wylie has 30-40, but there is not anything that we can do about it but compete. It is not Wylie's fault that they have good numbers and it is not their fault that they have a coach and program that can do something with those numbers. By the way...I refuse to give up the right to whine if the Bulldogs beat us again this year!!!

I agree with you Vet. And I am no homer either, I am from Sweetwater. I think many teams are just jealous of Wylies success and use the enrollment as a crutch as to why they lost. Any school that has great athletics will have alot of kids out. Let them have a few bad seasons, and no one wants to play anymore.

tors2002
09-26-2002, 08:31 PM
I never siad Wylie was into paying off the UIl in some way. I honestly don't think they are. I was impressed with the support and school spirit they had when we first played them two years ago in San Angelo. I think they have greta program. I do believe that this does happen sometimes.