PDA

View Full Version : Gifted and Talented

TheDOCTORdre
02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I was just wondering who all on the board was part of their school's gifted and talented program, if their school had one.

pirate44
02-22-2005, 10:08 AM
c'mon, isnt it enough that we already know who the smart-a$$es are?

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2005, 10:08 AM
My oldest was and the youngest is currently. # 55 could be, but he's a little "unmotivated" as far as school work is concerned. :rolleyes:

jason
02-22-2005, 10:10 AM
i dont remember if we had a 'talented and gifted' program, but i was in national honor society....i am also in the collegiate computer science national honor society - Epsilon Delta Pi --:nerd:-- :nerd:

Phil C
02-22-2005, 10:14 AM
We didn't have that back then but (and I am not in the following) our valadictorian (spelling?) is now an English teacher in Houston, our saluditorian (spelling?) is a CPA with an oil company, our class doctor tied for tenth place, and our millionnaire just barely got through high school! :)

District303aPastPlayer
02-22-2005, 10:20 AM
i was....
started HS at the age of 13 :)
was a senior at 16 :)

HighSchool Fan
02-22-2005, 10:24 AM
i saw a movie one time, and i promise ya, that woman was gifted and talented :D i was blown away at how good the little mermaid could swin :p

BullFrog Dad
02-22-2005, 10:32 AM
We didint have giffed and talinted wen I wint to skool.

big daddy russ
02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I was in our middle school honors program, but became a slacker when I got to HS and realized you don't really have to work to pass. Dang, that screwed me over when I got to college.

Bulldog_12
02-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I was in our middle school honors program, but became a slacker when I got to HS and realized you don't really have to work to pass. Dang, that screwed me over when I got to college.

Im right there with you. I stayed honors all the way till my freshmen year. Then I coasted through the last 3 years. Im hurting now.

footballmom
02-22-2005, 12:39 PM
We didn't have Gifted and Talented in the Fort Worth schools way back then but we did have the Magnet program. They bused a lot of smart kids to our school for this program. From what I remember this started in 4th grade. This was WAY back in 1974.:eek:

mustang04
02-22-2005, 12:52 PM
i was gifted and talented

also in many other aspects.....

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My oldest was and the youngest is currently. # 55 could be, but he's a little "unmotivated" as far as school work is concerned. :rolleyes:

Oops! I feel bad. # 55 is in advanced math & language arts and has been mad at me for 2 1/2 years because of it.

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by mustang04

:rolleyes: ;) :kiss:

TheDOCTORdre
02-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
i was gifted and talented

no you werent gifted and talented you were in the "special program" as far as the other aspects, lets not go there:D

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-22-2005, 03:52 PM
they have it at lake worth and every one of my siblings are in it, i was in middle school, but became unmotivated in high school, kinda like LHPM's #55.

BettyBoop
02-22-2005, 06:23 PM
As far the "gifted and talented " program goes here, it has nothing to do with being smart. It's all about creativity and imagination. My daughter was nominated and the test consists of shapes that you have to make pictures and stories with. It's your imagination that gets you in but you have to have the grades to be nominated. She didn't make it but was in National Honor society all four years of high school. I really don't think the whole program is named right.

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by BettyBoop
As far the "gifted and talented " program goes here, it has nothing to do with being smart. It's all about creativity and imagination. My daughter was nominated and the test consists of shapes that you have to make pictures and stories with. It's your imagination that gets you in but you have to have the grades to be nominated. She didn't make it but was in National Honor society all four years of high school. I really don't think the whole program is named right.

Our gifted and talented program actually begins in elementary; to qualify, the student must score a certain score on the ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills). In fifth grade, for qualifying students, advanced math program begins - they go through the entire fifth grade math book & half of the sixth grade book. My oldest was actually one of the first 3 in this program when he was in 6th grade. 6th grade continues with the math program, 7th grade book is completed & begins advanced language arts. Students taking the advanced classes are not necessarily in the GT program, that carries over from elem. In high school, GT is no longer a program, but students take advanced classes instead of mainstream.

HighSchool Fan
02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
(Iowa Test of Basic Skills).

Iowa? what are teaching them kids down there? hurry up and get them out of there while you still can.

BrahmaMom
02-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Iowa (where BrahmaDad hails from and still thinks is the center of the universe) is known for its educational testing. You don't have to live there to take the tests they create. And, they do a good job of tests, too.

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-22-2005, 06:52 PM
i remember taking an iowa test in elementary school. i thought i was like the taas, but dont remember much more than that.

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Iowa? what are teaching them kids down there? hurry up and get them out of there while you still can.
See! :tongue: :D

Originally posted by BrahmaMom
Iowa (where BrahmaDad hails from and still thinks is the center of the universe) is known for its educational testing. You don't have to live there to take the tests they create. And, they do a good job of tests, too.

HighSchool Fan
02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Iowa, HA

rockdale80
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
when i took the taas test in the 5th grade, and 8th grade i didnt miss a question....as a junior i missed a total of 3.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Well seeing that I'm from Sweetwater I was in the same G/T program that Dre and Reggie were in. 13 years total, big ass waste of time if you ask me.

lepfan
02-22-2005, 10:20 PM
A truly gifted child will be a very smart kid...but also must show creativity. Having staight A's or a 4.0 GPA does not always mean you are gifted...it means you are very smart. :D

In other words not all smart kids are gifted , but gifted kids are smart.

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
A truly gifted child will be a very smart kid...but also must show creativity. Having staight A's or a 4.0 GPA does not always mean you are gifted...it means you are very smart. :D

You're exactly right. :)

lepfan
02-23-2005, 01:20 AM
You're exactly right. :)

I just had to explain this to a mother....of course all mothers think their "smart" kid is gifted...it is not a pretty day when you have to break the news to them that they really just have a very smart kid...not a gifted kid

BullFrog Dad
02-23-2005, 08:54 AM
I just had to explain this to a mother....of course all mothers think their "smart" kid is gifted...it is not a pretty day when you have to break the news to them that they really just have a very smart kid...not a gifted kid All kids are gifted. With the exception of gangsta kids.

HighSchool Fan
02-23-2005, 09:03 AM

in the movie Rain Man, dustin hoffman was gifted but not very smart.

lepfan
02-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
in the movie Rain Man, dustin hoffman was gifted but not very smart.

I wouldn't say he was truly gifted....

Isn't he what they called an "idiot savant" --- An intellectually disabled person who exhibits extraordinary ability in a highly specialized area, such as mathematics or music.

NSUTrumpet08
02-23-2005, 11:07 AM
I know we had G/T through elementary school. In middle and high school, we had the choice to go to a pre-ap or honors class or even an AP class (that was in high school of course). I hated my senior year because of various things but especially not having a blow-off year like most seniors did...

I don't think anyone would like to have done AP Physics, PAP Government and Economics, Band, Dual Credit English I and II, College Speech, College Sociology, Spanish III P-AP, Spanish IV AP, AP Calculus...sheesh...my grades suffered but so far college is a breeze! Thank you Jasper ISD!