PDA

View Full Version : 4 teams in 5A in 2006

Matthew328
02-21-2005, 05:26 PM
What do you guys think about this?? I kind of like it.......I'd rather have 4 teams make it than 3

big daddy russ
02-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't like it a whole lot just because some teams that get in don't deserve to be there. There was a four-team 5A district that included the Tyler schools a few years back. Granted, that district may have been the toughest in the state, but if one of those teams hadn't been worth much or the district had been aligned just a little differently then we might've had an 0-10 team in the playoffs. It was discussed a little in another thread, but it's worth mentioning again because it'll eventually trickle down to 3A from the big brother just like the two-team and three-team format.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=303154#post303154

LH Panther Mom
02-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I think initially, it may water-down the playoffs. But, with what I've read about the growth in the number of 5a schools over the next 2-4 years, and that there will most likely be a few 10-team districts, some of that will be absorbed and teams will have to play that much harder to make the playoffs. I'd much rather see four teams than to add an additional class.

Matthew328
02-21-2005, 06:08 PM
I doubt it would ever trickle down to 3A.....maybe 4A...3A is bad enough with all the 5 team districts and 3 teams making it.....personally I would like to see a class 6A added....maybe 16 6 team districts with 2 teams from each district making the postseason....I like the 4 team in 5A playoff idea.....first off it evens the Div 1 and 2 brackets out....it eliminates the possibilty of 2 10-0 teams playing in bi-district which I like also..however you will see exclusively 8+ team districts in 5A....I doubt there will be any more 6 team districts...this could mean the Little SWC gets broken up...it would be sad but the day was coming...if it doesn't happen now it'll happen when one of the Abilene schools drops to 4A....DFW metroplex is growing so fast that there will be a need for another district in DFW...me and Matt Diggs came up with this idea
2-5A
North Zone
Amarillo
Amarillo Tascosa
Lubbock
Lubbock Monterrey
Lubbock Coronado

South Zone
Midland
Midland Lee
Odessa
Odessa Permian
San Angelo Central

3-5A
Abilene
Abilene Cooper
Weatherford
Granbury
Azle (likely 5A move up)
Burleson
FW Paschal
Saginaw Boswell (if they stay 5A, they have a new high school opening next year)

2-5A would be similar to the Fort Worth district's zone playoffs they had a couple of years ago...each team would play 5 non-district games....rivalries could be kept because the Abilene schools would be heavily involved in the non-district games and this would help eliminate non-district scheduling problems schools like Midland Lee and Abilene have had...top seed from north zone would play top seed from south zone and so on....they could maybe do it on a weekend at a neutral site...kind of like a playoff preview type deal.......

VWG
02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
I think Cooper is a target to move down to 4A.
I also think that the new school over near Saginaw Boswell will cause Boswell to drop back to 4A.
I don't really like the 4 team playoff scenario myself. Stick with the three teams like the rest of the state, because the only district areas that are growing is DFW and maybe San Antonio and Austin area.

Rockdale Tiger
02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I do not think it would be good for 3A. In a 6 team district a team with a 1-4 record could be able to get in.

Matthew328
02-21-2005, 06:32 PM
this is true......more likely than not Cooper will stay 5A because the cutoff number will drop some to allow the additon of more 5A schools....so many of your big 4A's will move up.....I know in DFW alone Frisco will have another high school, Denton will have a 3rd high school, Saginaw will have a 2nd high school, Rockwall will have a 2nd high school, I also believe Mansfield will have a 4th high school also...I like the D1 and 2 brackets being evened out......I'd rather see a 6A but it doesn't look like that will happen