PDA

View Full Version : 25th Anniversary Today

PhiI C
02-20-2005, 10:28 PM
It was exactly 25 years ago today that the USA Hockey team defeated the USSR hockey team in the Olympics 4 to 3! This was in the semis and the USA went on to the finals to win the gold but this game was the key. It was a big upset at the time because the USSR was considered invincible and had even beaten NHL teams. It would be like taking a group of high school Canadians and practicing a few weeks and then beating the New England Patriouts.

District303aPastPlayer
02-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Rizzo, Ralph Cox, Johnson, Janysek... man i see miracle and then the roundtable after Miracle.. and hearing Al Michaels call the final 11 seconds just gives me chills.

Astrosdawg07
02-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Rizzo, Ralph Cox, Johnson, Janysek... man i see miracle and then the roundtable after Miracle.. and hearing Al Michaels call the final 11 seconds just gives me chills.

And the sad thing is that during it's joyous 25th aniversary we are dealing w/ the cancelation of the NHL season.

AggieJohn
02-21-2005, 12:26 AM
yep

Phil C
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
It was significant but the strange thing is that the final game with Finland is never shown on the classics (that I know of). Even though the USA beat Russia in this great game they still had to beat Finland to cinch the gold medal. Had they lost to Finland they might have missed out on even a bronze medal. Of course we were favored in that game. As I remembered correctly the USA scored first for a 1-0 lead then Finland scored twice and led 2-1 then the USA scored three more times to lead 4 - 2 and that is how the game ended. True it didn't have as suspenseful ending but still it is worthy to be shown once in a while on the classics because this game as I mentioned was the gold medal cincher.

vet93
02-21-2005, 11:52 AM
One of my most cherished sports memories....I can still remember sitting there watching with tears in my eyes as our goalie, draped in the American flag was looking for his dad in the stands. His dad had just lost his wife the year before.......man what a game. I also still remember a huge banner draped on a building in front of the Soviet Embassy that read 4-3.....America needed that victory!