PDA

View Full Version : Woman Finds $100K Disgarded Lotto Ticket In Trash

ILS1
02-18-2005, 10:23 AM
SHELBYVILLE, Indiana (AP) -- Karrie Jeremiah pulled a discarded lottery ticket from a restaurant trash can and hit the jackpot.

Two other people had purchased the $5 Hoosier Lottery scratch-off ticket last week at the Chaperral Cafe. When a clerk at the downtown cafe told them it wasn't the $40 winner they were hoping for, they threw it away, lottery officials said.

It wasn't a $40 winner -- it was a $100,000 winner.

Jeremiah said she wondered whether the numbers were completely checked before the ticket was tossed.

"Who would ever throw this ticket in the trash knowing it was a $100,000 hit?" she said.

Lottery security director Ellen Corcella said the cafe clerk had not checked for any winning combinations other than for $40.

Lottery officials on February 10 issued Jeremiah a check for $71,600 -- the amount after taxes were withheld.

Corcella said the lottery was looking into the circumstances surrounding the ticket, but believed Jeremiah was the rightful winner.

"If I drop $100,000 in the street and walk away and the next person picks it up, it's their money," she said.

Mark McNeely, an attorney for cafe owner Shirley Bailey, said lottery officials had been negligent by not providing adequate training. "Let's focus on the real issues and not try to cast all of our blame on this little merchant here in Shelbyville when the lack of training may have been the issue that caused the problem to begin with," he said.

Trashed Lotto Ticket (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/18/discarded.ticket.ap/index.html)

District303aPastPlayer
02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
thats crap.... how can you mistakenly say that its not a winner if you are a lotto retailer... you would think that they would check the gmae by the barcode, like they do here in texas...

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
interesting.....wonder who actually threw the ticket away, the purchaser or cafe worker? at any rate, it was probably the person who bought the ticket that had the responsibility to check it and toss it or turn it in.:thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
02-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
interesting.....wonder who actually threw the ticket away, the purchaser or cafe worker? at any rate, it was probably the person who bought the ticket that had the responsibility to check it and toss it or turn it in.:thinking:

my grandpa found 2 lotto tickets outside my moms office... and he took them into the store, and they told him that they were thrown away... and couldnt cash them in for him... then tore them up in front of him...

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
my grandpa found 2 lotto tickets outside my moms office... and he took them into the store, and they told him that they were thrown away... and couldnt cash them in for him... then tore them up in front of him...

I think that is bs .... if I was your grandfather, I would have been really ticked off! What happened to him is the exact opposite of the Indiana events above. If something is thrown away and then picked up by someone else....I say it then belongs to the finder ...whether they purchased it or not.

The problem with the Indiana incident is that it was a worker in the establishment that sells and redeems the tickets and you have to question the integrity (circumstances) of exactly how the ticket got in her possession.

Phil C
02-18-2005, 11:37 AM
"If I drop $100,000 in the street and walk away and the next person picks it up, it's their money," she said.

Tha-thhaa--thhhaaa-thaaaat---thhhaaaaat-that's eaaaaaa-eaaaaasss-easssss-easy fo-fo-for yo-yo-you tttt-tt-to saaaaaa-saaaaa-say!!:D

Phil C
02-18-2005, 11:39 AM
It will be a mess if the other couple shows up that were deceived and can prove they were the couple. Law suit city here we come.

Phil C
02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I remember a friend of mine got cash from the bank and only was going to get $20 but they gave her $2000. There was no way the bank could know it was her. She was honest though and went back to the bank and they were very grateful and told her they never would have known that it was her that got the money. Using Jeriamia's logic the money was hers then instead of the bank. At least my friend never had to pay a bank charge after that. lol But something is fishy. I don't see too many people pulling lottery tickets out of the trash. I think there is more to this than meets the eye and possible conspiracy somewhere with maybe someone that works at the retail. But then maybe I am too cynical.

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Using Jeriamia's logic the money was hers then instead of the bank

pretty much true since it couldn't be proven otherwise....one thing is certain though, it would have cost that teller her job if your friend had not been honest. :clap: :clap: :clap:

GUNHO
02-18-2005, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ILS1
[B]SHELBYVILLE, Indiana (AP) -- Karrie Jeremiah pulled a discarded lottery ticket from a restaurant trash can and hit the jackpot.

Jeremiah said she wondered whether the numbers were completely checked before the ticket was tossed.

This really sounds and smells fishy to me.What was she doing in the trash can and what would make her think the numbers had not been checked COMPLETELY. The story just sounds funny to me.

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by GUNHO
[QUOTE]This really sounds and smells fishy to me.What was she doing in the trash can and what would make her think the numbers had not been checked COMPLETELY. The story just sounds funny to me.

I agree.:)

Phil C
02-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I agree.:)

Hey AP I just remembered that my wife and I were in Indiana a short time ago and we stopped by a store thinking we had won forty dollars and were told we hadn't so I threw the ticket away! :eek: I am going to a lawyer right now and head for Indiana!!:D

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey AP I just remembered that my wife and I were in Indiana a short time ago and we stopped by a store thinking we had won forty dollars and were told we hadn't so I threw the ticket away! :eek: I am going to a lawyer right now and head for Indiana!!:D

LOL! :D You know the sad part is that I can see the attorney fees on this deal exceeding the winnings by far .... so the only one that really wins is the lawyer.:rolleyes: :)