PDA

View Full Version : RM I think we have you beat

Holmes_Fans
02-17-2005, 07:18 PM
We killed this today, it's a good 4 1/2 feet long.

http://img222.exs.cx/img222/5259/10019593dw.jpg

lepfan
02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
What kind is that? I kill first and identify later...I have killed many a chicken snake swearing at the time it was a copperhead...

jason
02-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
We killed this today, it's a good 4 1/2 feet long. by 'We' he means his mommy....

CHS_CG
02-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by jason
by 'We' he means his mommy....

And I bet you woulda made ur mommy kill it too.

jason
02-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
And I bet you woulda made ur mommy kill it too. no, i would have bitten its head off and thrown the snake on the grill...

CHS_CG
02-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by jason
no, i would have bitten its head off and thrown the snake on the grill...

you are nasty!

SintonFan
02-17-2005, 08:30 PM
It kinda looks somewhat a little like a cottonmouth without the viper head albeit.

gobbler grad
02-17-2005, 08:33 PM
don't matter what kind it is, as long as its dead...best kind of snake is a dead snake...

onfirebball05mustang
02-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
don't matter what kind it is, as long as its dead...best kind of snake is a dead snake...

aww but they're all cute and cuddly! ICK! die snake, die

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm appauled that ya'll would celebrate killing a snake and I come from Sweetwater, home of the worlds largest rattlesnake roundup. Snakes are a vital part of the ecosystem and without them we would be overrun with vermin. As the owner of a beautiful candycane cornsnake I really think you should take a look at snakes before you kill them.

lepfan
02-17-2005, 11:12 PM
I killed a snake this summer...at midnight....it was stirking at my daughter...and was jumping up...she was frozen with fear...come to find out it was a bull snake...they do have a bite...but are not poisonous...i do not like snakes...and if i feel threatened by one...i will kill it if I can...Don't be apPauled...I do take a good look at them...just as I am getting my aim just right...

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Haha, I was really just messing with ya'll. I kill rattlesnakes all the time and I have also mistakenly killed a bullsnake. I do own a cornsnake and actually like the animals but I also understand peoples fear. Personally though I wish people would take time to see that most aren't venomous and aren't pest but that they are actually helpful. I'm just a biologist that had some respect for the natural world.

espn1
02-17-2005, 11:21 PM
That's a chicken Snake. Probably wasn't too hard to kill. They can't move very quickly this time of year. They move in slow motion.

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-17-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure on this and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Texas Rat snake is commonly reffered to as a "chicken snake" because they are often found around chicken pins. Except they are looking for rats that are feeding on scratch and not trying to eat chickens.

superslyguy06
02-17-2005, 11:43 PM
i shot a rattlesnake in a head w/ a paintball gun one time, it was cool.

espn1
02-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I'm not sure on this and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Texas Rat snake is commonly reffered to as a "chicken snake" because they are often found around chicken pins. Except they are looking for rats that are feeding on scratch and not trying to eat chickens. You are 100% correct. Except the fact that they love to eat baby chicks. That's why we call them chicken snakes.

rockdale80
02-18-2005, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by espn1
You are 100% correct. Except the fact that they love to eat baby chicks. That's why we call them chicken snakes.

and eggs.....

Ranger Mom
02-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Now that snake I wouldn't have killed...I would have captured it and relocated it to a safe location.

The snake I killed WAS a rattlesnake, on my back porch at my dogs bed. I had to kill it if I was ever going to get a peaceful nights sleep without listening to barking/growling/cyring all night.

Mine was just 2 feet long, but a lot deadlier then any old "chicken snake" LMAO!!!

AggieJohn
02-18-2005, 10:30 AM
impressive

espn1
02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
and eggs.....
I actually killed a chicken snake onetime with two eggs in it. I slid the two eggs out and they weren't even cracked. The thing bit me on the hand. Liked to have scared me to death. It was hiding behind a bag of feed.

lepfan
02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't kill all snakes...cause like you said they do have their purpose in the food chain...If we take them all out we have big problems...but, if it gets in my path and does not get outta the way quickly it is going down. BTW...I am no real threat to a snake...once it took 5 shots at point blank with a BB gun to kill one snake and the one this summer took 12 stabs with a floor scraper... :D :D

Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Haha, I was really just messing with ya'll. I kill rattlesnakes all the time and I have also mistakenly killed a bullsnake. I do own a cornsnake and actually like the animals but I also understand peoples fear. Personally though I wish people would take time to see that most aren't venomous and aren't pest but that they are actually helpful. I'm just a biologist that had some respect for the natural world.

Gobbla2001
02-18-2005, 01:50 PM
lepfan... Bull snakes have very sharp teeth, though, they're kinda like a saw... It would have left a nice cut in your daughter and the bacteria would have caused an infection...

I'm terrified of snakes, myself, I don't care what kind it is, it just doesn't look right...

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
...once it took 5 shots at point blank with a BB gun to kill one snake and the one this summer took 12 stabs with a floor scraper... :D :D

LOL...that reminds me, summer before last, my husband shot a water moccasin on the edge of the pond in our back yard ...I think he used a 12 gauge...anyway, after shooting it we walked to the edge of the pond with a rake to get the thing out.

He raked and raked and finally pulled up the tail (back HALF) of the snake. He continued to rake for the other piece because he wanted to measure how long it had been. Anyway after probably 5 minutes of raking under the water, the head of that snake popped up and it started swimming towards us. IT WAS HALF GONE and still alive and swimming. :eek:

I had nightmares about that snake for weeks!:D

ej2525
02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I'm terrified of snakes, myself, I don't care what kind it is, it just doesn't look right...

I am with you brother!! I hate snakes... I like some of them though (dead ones)!! :D

espn1
02-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ej2525
I am with you brother!! I hate snakes... I like some of them though (dead ones)!! :D
There are 4 types that I don't like.
1. Big Ones
2. Little Ones
3. Live Ones
4. Dead Ones :D :D :D

Gobbla2001
02-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Ewww, water moccasins...

I remember when I was like, 15, we were at Lake Corpus Christi/Lake Mathis/Lake whatever it is now and we were out at one of the 'beach' areas swimming... I brought our new knee-board with us so that I could practice getting on to it before actually trying it out in the middle of the lake...

Anyway, I was having so much trouble getting on to that thing, it sucked...

After about 10 minutes of trying, I was making my way back to land, and I saw everyone who was swimming (20 people) start backing up toword land, then my cuz and step-bro said "Derick, there's a moccasin right there." I swear the thing wasn't 5 yards away from me...

Needless to say, I was on that knee-board pretty quick...

Too bad we couldn't catch that snake and keep it, I could have used it when trying to get on the knee-board out in the boat later that day...

AP Panther Fan
02-18-2005, 03:55 PM
LOL ... I think we all have those "horrible" snake stories that won't soon be forgotten.:D

My son, as he was growing up, would spend an entire Saturday with his bb gun out in the back 40 behind our house hunting snakes....now that he's 17, it doesn't seem to have the appeal it used to.:rolleyes:

He used to keep the snake population of Aransas Pass in check ... but no more.:D

SintonFan
02-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Great stories yall.:)
I found out just how much I loved my Snapper lawnmower some time back. I had a section of my yard that was neglected for a couple of months. It had some lumber and other stuff on it I had intended to remove but waited until spring. After removing the junk I didn't notice anything unusual and started mowing. After a pass or two in first gear I noticed all kinds of slithering movement going to the freshly cut grass. Dangit but I saw two definate young rattlers. I turned that Snapper real quick but saw they were getting away. In one smooth motion I dropped the deck and shoved the mower into 4th gear. I'm not kidding when I say that mower literally popped a "wheelie"! Before you knew it I had overtaken both young serpents. There was a satisfaction of the parts spewing out the.... well you know what I mean.;)
I've shot snakes before and I guarantee those pieces didn't move too long after my Snapper.:D

lepfan
02-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I killed a small snake with a lawnmower...except I ran over it with the tire and just kept turning the wheels until it was dead....and to make sure it was I went in the house and got a butcher knive and took care of the rest of it. Your Snapper story reminded me of that incident last summer.