PDA

View Full Version : MyDoom Worm Spreads Via Search Engines

jason
02-17-2005, 05:26 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&ncid=1093&e=1&u=/pcworld/20050217/tc_pcworld/119718

just F.Y.I.

Thu Feb 17, 9:00 AM ET

Scarlet Pruitt, IDG News Service

Internet users are being threatened by yet another variant of the MyDoom mass mailing worm, which is spreading in part by using e-mail addresses found through popular search engines, security experts warn.

The new variant was first spotted late Wednesday and reports from computer users suggest the worm is already circling the globe, according to Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.

The worm proliferates by e-mailing itself through its own SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) engine, according to Sophos. When it infects a computer it scans the hard disk for e-mail addresses and then takes the domains of the addresses it finds and queries search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Lycos looking for similar addresses, Cluley says.

If it finds the address JohnDoe@yahoo.com, for instance, it will use a search engine to look for other addresses at the yahoo.com domain to send itself to, Cluley explains.

Similar Spread

A similar MyDoom variant appeared last July and managed to slow some search engines as it flooded them with queries.

Cluley says he doubts the new variant will have the same effect since this outbreak is not as severe. Additionally, search engines have taken measures to prevent being crippled by the worm again, Cluley says.

The latest worm was created by repackaging an older MyDoom variant in an encrypted "wrapper" so that antivirus software could not recognize it, Cluley says. The method is just one of the clever ways hackers use to hide their attacks and antivirus firms should be aware of the ruse, he adds.

Internet users should make sure their antivirus software is up to date to avoid infection.

sahen
02-17-2005, 05:30 PM
i bet if starting shooting these loosers on the spot when we found them there would be less of this...

jason
02-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i bet if starting shooting these loosers on the spot when we found them there would be less of this... no, because its all a conspiracy...its the people who own anti-virus companies, such as mcafee and norton, that pay geeks to write these viruses so that people have to buy their product (the anti-virus) to get rid of them...

viruses will always be a factor in computer systems...

Ranger Mom
02-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Wow!! What must it be like to have THAT much time on your hands...........*sigh*!

sahen
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by jason
no, because its all a conspiracy...its the people who own anti-virus companies, such as mcafee and norton, that pay geeks to write these viruses so that people have to buy their product (the anti-virus) to get rid of them...

viruses will always be a factor in computer systems...
maybe we should just shoot all the computer geeks then.....

jason
02-17-2005, 05:53 PM
maybe we should just shoot all the computer geeks then..... lol NOOOOOO :eek: :eek:

sahen
02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
lol NOOOOOO :eek: :eek:
as i suspected has one of the antivirus companies been in touch w/ u jason?

jason
02-17-2005, 06:00 PM
as i suspected has one of the antivirus companies been in touch w/ u jason? this site would be history if i was smart enough.....

:D :D

:eek: :devil: :evillaugh :evillaugh

not really, i love this web site

SintonFan
02-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by jason on 2-17-05 at 5:00 pm

this site would be history if i was smart enough to find a way to get rid of it.....

:D :D

:eek: :devil: :evillaugh :evillaugh

not really, i love this web site
Really jason... really...:evilgrin: :crazy: :evilgrin: