PDA

View Full Version : 4 Playoff teams in 5A starting 2006

Cat22
02-15-2005, 04:08 PM
What are your thoughts about having four playoff teams from each district? This was only approved by 5A starting in 2006.

pirate44
02-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Cat22
What are your thoughts about having four playoff teams from each district? This was only approved by 5A starting in 2006.
4??!! i think im gonna be sick:(

sahen
02-15-2005, 04:31 PM
this is prolly becasuse a lot of 5a districts have 8 or 9 teams and teams that used to make it yearly r not making it since the amount of teams r increasing...they should just make more districts and keep the 6 team districts...5 predistrict and 5 district games works well in my opinion....

KTJ
02-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by sahen
this is prolly becasuse a lot of 5a districts have 8 or 9 teams and teams that used to make it yearly r not making it since the amount of teams r increasing...they should just make more districts and keep the 6 team districts...5 predistrict and 5 district games works well in my opinion....

I seriously doubt this is the reason why.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
3 is enough. 4 is just too many.

pirate44
02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I seriously doubt this is the reason why.
i fall in the conspiracy theorist category. im guessing its all about money.

Ranger Mom
02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Geez...why don't we just let everyone have a playoff spot!!

It's too watered down right now IMO!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Geez...why don't we just let everyone have a playoff spot!!

It's too watered down right now IMO!! i agree. infact, i think they should take the top two teams from each district and they should all be in the same bracket, no div I and div II. that way there is no bickering about which team is actually the state champion.

Gobbla2001
02-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Going back to one or two teams would be nice, it would heat up the district competition...

But on the positive side, it adds 16 games to the football season...

I wish it wouldn't happen, but if they don't deserve a playoff spot, they won't make it far anyway, right?

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I wish it wouldn't happen, but if they don't deserve a playoff spot, they won't make it far anyway, right? thats not always the case. a team may not play well that has been a powerhouse all season long. i understand that if a team gets knocked off in the playoffs its for one reason or another and thats how the playoffs go. another aspect that just popped into my mind for doing this is it may give more kids a chance to be seen by scouts and get recruited for college, which could help further the students education. so on that stand point it would be a good thing to have more teams in the playoffs, but looking just at the game alone, i think only the top two teams should go, and this would infact cause more aggressive district play.

Gobbla2001
02-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Yah, plus, you don't want these kids 'getting their way' all of the time, parents let that happen enough these days, now the UIL is contributing to it... if you look at things thatta way...

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yah, plus, you don't want these kids 'getting their way' all of the time, parents let that happen enough these days, now the UIL is contributing to it... if you look at things thatta way... a friend of mine who is about to graduate told me on the phone the other day that she always gets what she wants rom her parents. and if she doesnt, she gets all huffy-puffy until she does. in my mind thats the wrong attitude to have, especially when your about to get out of school. i hate to say it, but when she does graduate and goes out to find her place in the real world, no one will care if she is huffy-puffy and throws a hissy fit like she is 7. i keep trying to help her grow out of this phase of her life and realize that things wont always go her way and she has to deal w/ situations in a mature manner if she wants to go anywhere in life.

Old Tiger
02-15-2005, 06:45 PM
That is stupid! What if it's a 6 team district? Someone w/ a 2-4 district record or possibly even a 1-4 district record.

Black_Magic
02-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Very bad deal. especialy with the 5 team districs.. cheapens the District play if it is that easy to get in. I think they could have a couple of seeds at large if they wanted to let a few more people in. Say 2 per region. Merkel finished 4th in the disrtrict this year and I believe they could have beaten Muleshoe, and Greenwood, Seminole, Perriton, and Breckenridge... NO disrespect to those Teams at all.

Highschoolfan78
02-15-2005, 08:16 PM
I personally want it to return to 2 teams from a district. This double champion crap is ridiculous. But that is just my 2 cents put in, and i would need 48 cents more for a coke.

espn1
02-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Don't worry about it. I'm for anything to lengthen the football season. The weaker teams would be going home quickly anyway. I just wish they could play arena football off season. I like it better than 7 on 7. I'm in some serious football withdrawals right now. Oh the pain!

wildstangs
02-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Its a tough call. I like three teams, but four seems to be too many. However, Like Magic said earlier, some teams 4th seed are much better than another districts top seed.

wildstangs
02-15-2005, 10:12 PM
How about the districts with 5 teams. Teams could end up 1-9 and make the playoffs.

Bandera won the state title as a 3rd place seed a few years ago.

Wichita Falls Rider got in the playoffs many years ago with a 2-8 record, and won two playoff games.

Any other good examples?

big daddy russ
02-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
That is stupid! What if it's a 6 team district? Someone w/ a 2-4 district record or possibly even a 1-4 district record. A few years ago, there was a four-team district up in East Texas. Tyler, Tyler Lee, and either Longview and Marshall or Lufkin and Nac.

District303aPastPlayer
02-15-2005, 11:50 PM
i remember that district... there was a write up about it in the DCTHSF this year... i think it weakens district play... why dont we just have a 16 week huge playoff system that pits all the teams against eachother... that would make everyone happy :)

rhs78
02-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Three teams is ok and four teams cheapen the whole playoffs, you should have to win say more than one or two district games to get in. it will make for some big blowouts in round one.

Phil C
02-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
How about the districts with 5 teams. Teams could end up 1-9 and make the playoffs.

Bandera won the state title as a 3rd place seed a few years ago.

Wichita Falls Rider got in the playoffs many years ago with a 2-8 record, and won two playoff games.

Any other good examples?

Wild this is 2A but I remember my hometown school Freer got into the playoffs with a 3-5-2 record as District Champions:eek: . This was back in the early 80s when only district champions advanced. The catch was the there were only five teams in the district and the three wins were in district and even though they lost a district game they won the other three and the team that beat them lost twice and all the other teams lost at least one game to someone else thus enabling Freer to win the district and advance. They played Rio Hondo who was 4-5-1 but they won games in district which gave them the championship. So you had two teams in what was called bi-district in the playoffs. Freer won a close defensive game 7 to 6. Freer scored in the second quarter but I think they got an extra penatration (inside the other team's 20 yard line and in case of ties penatration decided who advanced then. No overtime. :( . Anyway Rio Hondo got their td in the third quarter and since it was such a defensive game and they were behind in penatrations they must have felt they wouldn't get another chance so they went for two points and didn't make it. They were right about no other chances as Freer won 7 to 6. The next week Freer played a top team Refugio and lost 40 to 0 in the regionals.

Phil C
02-16-2005, 12:45 PM
I preferred it when they had two teams so I still feel that 4 teams is too much but of course that is just my opinion. I don't like the Division 1 or 2 set ups. If they have three teams the first week of playoffs would put No. 2 District Teams agains No. 3 District Teams and then that would leave 64 teams lived Division 2 has now and they could play until they had a winner then there would be one state champion in each class like the old days. Of course with the extra game the season might have to be moved a week earlier.

Necked
02-16-2005, 08:54 PM
As long as its just 5A, I'm fine with it. Basically what they are doing when you think about it is creating a class "6A" playoffs without the problems of trying to create enough 6A districts to make 6A plausible statewide. So as long as it stays in 5A, it just might be a good idea when its all said and done....
Only time will tell...

NSUTrumpet08
02-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I never understood why there is a Div 1 and a Div 2 in playoffs...is it to get the smaller schools in each class a chance to compete? I dunno...

JasperDog94
02-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Bandera won the state title as a 3rd place seed a few years ago. And Jasper came darn close this past year as the 3rd place team in district.

KTJ
02-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Necked
As long as its just 5A, I'm fine with it. Basically what they are doing when you think about it is creating a class "6A" playoffs without the problems of trying to create enough 6A districts to make 6A plausible statewide. So as long as it stays in 5A, it just might be a good idea when its all said and done....
Only time will tell...

The 4A supers actually vetoed this idea. But it won't be long before the Idiots on Manor Road force this into 3A and 4A.

big daddy russ
02-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Like KTJ said, it's a trickle-down effect. This is exactly what happened with the big-school, small-school playoff format. 5A adopted it sometime right around 1990 and 4A followed about six years later. Then 3A and 2A came around in the late-90's.