PDA

View Full Version : Schools that you NEVER see come playoff time...

KTJ
02-15-2005, 02:30 PM
This can be in football, basketball, track...whatever. But there is always that one school/town that you seem to never see in the playoff hunt and you have to wonder why. Is it coaching? Is it the athletes?

Here is my list...

-Dumas
-Amarillo Caprock
-Nocona
-any school from El Paso
-Marfa
-Marion
-Ft. Worth Paschal
-Roma
-Dallas Samuel
-any Laredo School
-Eagle Pass
-Joshua
-Houston Scarborough
-Whitehouse
-Port Lavaca Calhoun
-Somerset
-Guthrie
-Jayton
-

I'm sure I could think of a lot more. But I've always wondered about these types of schools. Surely they can compete in something?!?!?!?! Or am I being a bit too critical?

Phil C
02-15-2005, 02:32 PM
We have to remember though that Roma once had one of the fastest times in the state in track in the mile relay in 1967.

pirate44
02-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
We have to remember though that Roma once had one of the fastest times in the state in track in the mile relay in 1967.
not to mention, Phil C, that Roma sounds like Rome, which was the home of the 1960 Olymiad as well as the home of many gladiators who were the athletes of their time.

AP Panther Fan
02-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

LOL...most of these folks were not alive in that year!:rolleyes:

As for me, I was just waaaay too young to remember that!:D

HighSchool Fan
02-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
This can be in football, basketball, track...whatever. But there is always that one school/town that you seem to never see in the playoff hunt and you have to wonder why. Is it coaching? Is it the athletes?

Here is my list...

-Dumas
-Amarillo Caprock
-Nocona
-any school from El Paso
-Marfa
-Marion
-Ft. Worth Paschal
-Roma
-Dallas Samuel
-any Laredo School
-Eagle Pass
-Joshua
-Houston Scarborough
-Whitehouse
-Port Lavaca Calhoun
-Somerset
-Guthrie
-Jayton
-

I'm sure I could think of a lot more. But I've always wondered about these types of schools. Surely they can compete in something?!?!?!?! Or am I being a bit too critical?

KTJ, being from Gainesville, how could you leave off Whitesboro

Old Green
02-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Progresso

BullFrog Dad
02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Here is my list...

-Dumas
-Amarillo Caprock
-Nocona
-any school from El Paso
-Marfa
-Marion
-Ft. Worth Paschal
-Roma
-Dallas Samuel
-any Laredo School
-Eagle Pass
-Joshua
-Houston Scarborough
-Whitehouse
-Port Lavaca Calhoun
-Somerset
-Guthrie
-Jayton
-

I'm sure I could think of a lot more. But I've always wondered about these types of schools. Surely they can compete in something?!?!?!?! Or am I being a bit too critical? 2004 5A Region I Softball Champs FW Paschal

raider red 2000
02-15-2005, 03:19 PM
polacios

sahen
02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Tarkington..
in football

LH Panther Mom
02-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Guthrie used to be fairly strong years ago in football, but I'm sure you were either too young to remember or not born.

From my knowledge, I think you can add Motley Co. to the list.

Crow22
02-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Somerset has been in the playoffs in both football and basketball in the past few years.

pirate44
02-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Robstown for everything but baseball

Hupernikomen
02-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Tarkington..

I do believe that besides football Tarkington's accomplishments are far from woeful.

In the seven years that I have taught here we have made the playoffs 3 years in basketball, 3 years in baseball, district champs 4 years in track.

Cross Country champs nearly every one of those years in both boys and girls.

Many powerlifters have made state meet.

Golfers have made it to regionals nearly every year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Girls
Volleyball has made the regional tournament numerous times and was state finalist one year.
Cross country has sent girls to state as has track.
We have a girl this year that has an awesome shot of winning state in golf.

If this was a football only post I certainly would agree but it isn't foreign for the prairie to be represented come playoff time in the other sports.

sahen
02-15-2005, 04:27 PM
truely if u were a teacher then u would read the orignal post and see that it says this could be in "football, baseball" etc....thats why i post tarkington, sry i'll go cahnge it to read football for u though...

Hupernikomen
02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
suppose I did read too fast, but KTJ did say "surely they can compete in something"...Tarkington certainly isn't a power in football but trolling for reasons why a town doesn't make the playoffs isn't going to lead to any thing profitable. I just wanted to point out that we do have some limited success in the other sports and do quite well in others.

sic'em
02-15-2005, 05:07 PM
one prob with the initial list. dallas samuell has made the playoffs in football 7 years in a row. they are also a wrestling power in the disd, for what thats worth.

pirate44
02-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Sinton has never made the playoffs in soccer OR lacrosse. i say we string up the coaches!!:mad:

PurpleFreddy
02-15-2005, 05:11 PM
New Boston has qualified for the state playoffs in football only twice (1984, 2001) since 1953.

KTJ
02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
There's a difference between making the playoffs every year and getting knocked out in the first round--be that football, basketball, or baseball--and making it DEEP into the playoffs every year....Regional Finals, State Semi's, State Champions.

Also, some of those teams who "make the playoffs" have losing records.

big daddy russ
02-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Presidio
Taft
Cotulla until recently

HighSchool Fan
02-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Whitesboro has never mad the playoffs in football. they have fielded a team since 1936. is there any school worse than that?

Phil C
02-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Presidio
Taft
Cotulla until recently

Taft is in the playoffs in basketball this year and has made the playoffs in football before too. Once they were a real powerhouse in basketball.

Phil C
02-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
Sinton has never made the playoffs in soccer OR lacrosse. i say we string up the coaches!!:mad:

:D

LH Panther Mom
02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure that there is one specific reason why some teams seem to have long periods of draught in getting outside their district. In some schools, kids come out for sports because that may be the only legal entertainment in very rural areas - their other choice being to work. They may not really be driven by love of the sports. In some schools, the kids may really love the sports but may not be given the type of encouragement that breeds success.

There are definitely schools where coaching may be the issue; coaches and players need to respect each other. You can take two different school districts that have the same type of boot camp offseason programs. The team that is respect-laden on both sides will usually have greater success than the team that coaches & kids have little respect for each other. You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make him drink.

Are you too critical, KTJ? I would say without knowing the situations of the schools, it's hard to say. Just my $.02.

c-town_balla
02-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Smithville and FW Poly and D. Jarvis Hill

AggieJohn
02-15-2005, 10:15 PM
hardin

WOS1
02-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Has Huntington ever made the playoffs in football?

District303aPastPlayer
02-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Taft in football in recent year....
West Oso in Baseball....
Mathis in Baseball....
Orange Grove in everything....

Hupernikomen
02-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
Has Huntington ever made the playoffs in football?

I could go check collier sharp but I don't think they. I don't think they have had a program for a "long" time either. For some reason I want to say they began football in the early 80's. I could be way off here though.

rhs78
02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
woodsboro eagles should be on the list. and you have to take somerset off list because we played them in second round of basketball playoffs last year.

District303aPastPlayer
02-16-2005, 10:39 AM
but when else was the last time they made the playoffs... they make make it one year... but this is a list concerned about consistency... and you are right about woodsborro

rhs78
02-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
but when else was the last time they made the playoffs... they make make it one year... but this is a list concerned about consistency... and you are right about woodsborro
thats my bad because i thaught ktj said never in the playoff hunt. anyway you have to feel bad for any team that doesnt even get close year end and year out.

District303aPastPlayer
02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by rhs78
thats my bad because i thaught ktj said never in the playoff hunt. anyway you have to feel bad for any team that doesnt even get close year end and year out.

WHITESBORO...'nuff said

KTJ
02-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not sure that there is one specific reason why some teams seem to have long periods of draught in getting outside their district. In some schools, kids come out for sports because that may be the only legal entertainment in very rural areas - their other choice being to work. They may not really be driven by love of the sports. In some schools, the kids may really love the sports but may not be given the type of encouragement that breeds success.

There are definitely schools where coaching may be the issue; coaches and players need to respect each other. You can take two different school districts that have the same type of boot camp offseason programs. The team that is respect-laden on both sides will usually have greater success than the team that coaches & kids have little respect for each other. You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make him drink.

Are you too critical, KTJ? I would say without knowing the situations of the schools, it's hard to say. Just my $.02.

You always know the answer--to everything!

Just like mom. :D

LH Panther Mom
02-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
You always know the answer--to everything!

Just like mom. :D

Of course. ;)

Phil C
02-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

We have to remember though that in 1966-67 I think or the year before Woodsborro had a great basketball tems. I saw them practice when they were in the playoffs and those players were all tall and could shoot the ball in the basket both close and far off (there were no three point shots in those years). They went to State and got third place (back then the two losers played a consolation third place game). They really deserved better (runnerups) because the team that beat them won State and had an easier time winning State than they did with Woodsborro in the semis. A great team indeed.

crabman
02-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I am class of '77 at Calhoun High School. Thus the name crabman. We made the football playoffs in 1962 and haven't been back since. Now that's a drought. Girls basketball in the mid 70's had a good run when Jeanette Barlow was the coach. She always went up against Jan Lahodny from Victoria. Some of the best girls basketball ever. Since then, Nada.

Leopards,class of 75
02-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
KTJ, being from Gainesville, how could you leave off Whitesboro I don't think Whitesboro has ever made the playoffs in Football .

cage78123
02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Marion has made the playoffs 3 out of the past four years in football and has beaten Hondo for a bi-district championship, they just have to contend with teams like Liberty Hill and Wimberly being in the district the meet in the first round. As far as athletes, this year the Bulldogs earned 8 first team all-district nominations, 5 second team all-district nominations, along with 5 first team and 4 second team all-county nominations, and the head coach was a top candidate for best coach in the county, and is widely regarded as the top defensive mind in the district.

The Marion girls have also had quite a bit of success, making the playoffs in basketball 3 straight years and finishing in the regional finals in softball 2 years ago and had a good run last year as well.

neck_06
02-27-2005, 11:18 PM
sweeny........although they did have a good cross country team a few years back :doh:

big daddy russ
02-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
sweeny........although they did have a good cross country team a few years back :doh: Sweeny? I didn't realize they had dropped off. I just remember the Sweeny powerhouses growing up and automatically think they're still one of the top teams in the state by association of their tradition.

Ingleside's only made the playoffs in football twice (1995, 2004) since 1964. Only maybe three or times in baseball over the past two decades and only twice in boys hoops as far back as I can remember.

neck_06
02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Sweeny? I didn't realize they had dropped off. I just remember the Sweeny powerhouses growing up and automatically think they're still one of the top teams in the state by association of their tradition.

Sweeny was really good in the past, but they haven't made the playoffs in football or basketball in a few years, this year they went 1-9 in district in basketball, losing to palacois twice.

injuredinmelee
02-28-2005, 07:54 AM
How about Clyde is just about everything but basketball. Merkel also. they made the playoffs a couple of years ago but that was a fluke. They still suck.

Phil C
02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
Sweeny was really good in the past, but they haven't made the playoffs in football or basketball in a few years, this year they went 1-9 in district in basketball, losing to palacois twice.

We have to remember though that Sweeny has a state championship in football in 1966.

AggiesAreWe
02-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Lumberton has never made the playoffs in football or basketball in their school's history. They started playing varsity in 1970. They have made the baseball playoffs a couple of times, but only because of the 3 team playoff system.

CRHSeagle
03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Smithville and FW Poly and D. Jarvis Hill

FW Poly was a force this year in boys basketball and they usually field a pretty good soccer team. Diamond Hill had a good soccer team last year.