PDA

View Full Version : Region I Basketball

VWG
02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Sanger is sitting under the radar at (I think this is correct) 24 Wins and only 4 Losses.
Is Sanger for real?

Still got my money on Glen Rose for Region I champs.

HighSchool Fan
02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Sanger lost to Gainesville friday night 60-34.

They've also taken the Celina and Pilot Point approach to football, schedule a bunch of weak teams to make you look better.:D

VWG
02-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Sanger lost to Gainesville friday night 60-34.

So is Sanger then a fluke, or just an off night?

HighSchool Fan
02-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by VWG
So is Sanger then a fluke, or just an off night?

They have a good player in Chris Higgs, take him out of his game and they will lose.

TheDOCTORdre
02-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by VWG
gonna have to disagree on this one, I think Merkel will be the Region 1 champs

VWG
02-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Gotta like Merkel's point man, Lambert.
Good quick player and makes good decisions.
I don't think Merkel has the depth to take it all the way to state, though.

HighSchool Fan
02-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Sanger plays a heck of a zone defense. if you let them play that, they will be tough to beat. if you get them in man-to-man, they are not athletic enough to stop a good team. against Gainesville they playes zone for the first 3 quarters and Gville was only winning by 4 at end of the 3rd. Gville got them out of the zone in the 4th and outscored them by 22 in the 4th quarter

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Graham is my favorite to win Region 1. Lee Berand (sp?) is just dominate. The guards are hustlers. They had a bad week last week losing two games back-to-back, but I suspect they "rebound" well for a run at the state championship. They have only 4 losses on the year.

vet93
02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I know this is the wrong thread but I have to give an atta-girl to our girls basketball team. They played a warm-up game on friday with the Wimberely girls who are ranked #2 in 3A.....our girls beat them by 10 points! Hopefully, they can use this game as a springboard to Austin. We have a very tough region with Wall, Canadian and Shallowater. Sorry for jumping into the discussion....you can now return to a discussion on 3a boys basketball;)

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I know this is the wrong thread but I have to give an atta-girl to our girls basketball team. They played a warm-up game on friday with the Wimberely girls who are ranked #2 in 3A.....our girls beat them by 10 points!

:eek: :eek: WTG girls! :clap: :clap:

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Impressive win Bearcats!

KTJ
02-14-2005, 01:46 PM
High School Fan

So how does the District standings shape up since Gainesville beat Sanger? (thank god.)

And who do they play Tuesday?

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2005, 01:55 PM
gainesville plays PP tuesday night. if gainesville and sanger both win, they will play a tie breaker friday night

gainesville or sanger will be district champs, i'm not sure of the rest.

KTJ
02-14-2005, 02:02 PM
thanks hsf.

hmm, maybe we could be a bit underrated?

i don't even know who the coach is. but you know what makes me really upset? our girls team. they used to be district champs and playoff locks every single year. and this year, they didn't win a game in district. what is going on?

it makes me want to fight to become the girls coach next year...for some odd reason. i guarantee, i could turn that program around. as well as take the boys team back to state every year.

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2005, 02:06 PM
i agree with on the girls team, something don't seem right.

i think the boys are finally getting use to the coach's style of play. the coach is Craig Bankhead.

Macarthur
02-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Graham is my favorite to win Region 1. Lee Berand (sp?) is just dominate. The guards are hustlers. They had a bad week last week losing two games back-to-back, but I suspect they "rebound" well for a run at the state championship. They have only 4 losses on the year.

Z, that's an interesting district isn't it?

Graham - clear favorite, very strong team
Vernon - Strong team, has beaten Graham once & IP once.
Iowa Park - Has beaten Graham once, lead Vernon by 3 points wit 45 seconds to play and lost a tough one to Vernon. IP also had a tip in chance to beat Graham at the buzzer the first time they played.
Breck - Recently beat Vernon & IP.

What a wild race. If Vernon beats IP and Breck beats Hirschi tomorrow, then IP and Breck will have a playoff for the third spot.

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Z, that's an interesting district isn't it?

Graham - clear favorite, very strong team
Vernon - Strong team, has beaten Graham once & IP once.
Iowa Park - Has beaten Graham once, lead Vernon by 3 points wit 45 seconds to play and lost a tough one to Vernon. IP also had a tip in chance to beat Graham at the buzzer the first time they played.
Breck - Recently beat Vernon & IP.

What a wild race. If Vernon beats IP and Breck beats Hirschi tomorrow, then IP and Breck will have a playoff for the third spot.

i think Gainesville beat Vernon at Vernon this year

Macarthur
02-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i think Gainesville beat Vernon at Vernon this year

And I think IP beat Gainesville. That may have been before IP got their FB palyers.

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
And I think IP beat Gainesville. That may have been before IP got their FB palyers.

that game is not on the athletic website, it must of been a tournament game.

i'm not saying ip didn't beat them, i'm just saying that i don't know for sure. but i'll take your word for it

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Yes Gainesville did beat Vernon.

And heck that is a wild district. That dang Breckenridge just won't quit!

I think Graham is probably the best overall team. They are more stable, but with all the Hirschi crap and then all the trash talking that has been in the Wichita Falls papers (soundoff), Graham set themselves up to get beat by both Vernon and IP. Heck they are lucky to not have taken one from Hirschi.

Breck, Graham, IP and Vernon all have decent teams with Graham probably being the better of the bunch. If Vernon wins over IP tomorrow, then I think Vernon and Graham will have a playoff. That should be a good one.

I get so dissapointed in Vernon as they were set to win the district outright after beating Graham and then having IP put one on Graham. Then they go and lose to Breck. Just tears me up.

Graham has just beaten up on everyone for so long I think the players and fans have finaly had enough.

Last year Graham won all 4 major sports Football, basketball, Track and Baseball.

This year IP wins football and Vernon could take basketball. That would be a huge victory should that happen. I think IP and Vernon both will field some good track teams again too and should compete with Graham.

I don't know about baseball.

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
how many teams in a district goes to the playoffs?

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
3 go with the top team getting a bye.

VWG
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't see Graham getting out of the Region, maybe not even to the tournament out in Lubbock.
A couple of reasons:
1) Momentum- they haven't played well these past few games and going into the playoffs you need to be at peak level.
2) They have a dominating player, but that's it.
Yea, the team overall hustles and plays tenacious defense.... but you gotta have kids that can hit the perimeter shot.

Glen Rose seems more balanced and they've been playing really well.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by VWG
I don't see Graham getting out of the Region, maybe not even to the tournament out in Lubbock.
A couple of reasons:
1) Momentum- they haven't played well these past few games and going into the playoffs you need to be at peak level.
2) They have a dominating player, but that's it.
Yea, the team overall hustles and plays tenacious defense.... but you gotta have kids that can hit the perimeter shot.

Glen Rose seems more balanced and they've been playing really well.

I'll have to watch out for Glen Rose. Since my boy is out of high school and not playing basketball, I haven't been going to the games. I did go to the Graham game at Vernon but that has been it this year. I may go to the IP game tomorrow since it is at home, but it depends on which way the wind is blowing!

Hopefully all three teams can be competitive and each at least get 1 win in the playoffs. Something about cutting that net down that just sticks with you.

sic'em
02-15-2005, 05:04 PM
again a slight change of direction in the conversation but i just realized the regional for us (pp, gainesville, sanger) is in friggin lubbock. i was hoping to catch my lady cats at regionals if they make it. but so much for that. this region 1 stuff i am liking less and less. i guess the track regional will be in lubbock too? man, i thought going to stephenville back in my 2a days was a long way. that seems ridiculous far from pp, but i guess yall west texas folk are used to the driving. missing commerce...

HighSchool Fan
02-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by sic'em
missing commerce...

i know what ya mean, i miss commerce myself

KTJ
02-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Haha...that old crappy airplane hanger as a basketball arena. That was crappy crappy crappy!

:D

HighSchool Fan
02-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Haha...that old crappy airplane hanger as a basketball arena. That was crappy crappy crappy!

maybe crappy, but it's closer than lubbock

KTJ
02-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Well I'm in Austin so I have to wait until Gainesville makes it to State to see them anyway.

So be it Lubbock or Commerce, I just hope they win.

Hey, when we go back 4A, the drive will be even shorter--Regionals for that is in Denton.

HighSchool Fan
02-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Hey, when we go back 4A, the drive will be even shorter--Regionals for that is in Denton.

that will be awhile, the middle school classes are smaller than the ones graduating

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I hate to drop even more bad news, but the track regionals will be in Odessa!

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-15-2005, 05:28 PM
The good thing about it is that it is in Ratliff Stadium home of Permian football.

Just being there is awesome.

sic'em
02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
i promise you the atmosphere over at the hangar at east texas-commerce will far exceed anything in united spirit arena in lubbock for a high school game. that joint gets deafening loud when the whole crowd is stomping on those movable wooden bleachers. i went over there with a college buddy of mine who was from g-ville to see them play clarksville one time. that joint was loud.

Ranger Mom
02-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I hate to drop even more bad news, but the track regionals will be in Odessa!

Cool!! That's in my backyard!

sic'em
02-15-2005, 05:40 PM
NO WAY... ODESSA?!?:mad:
you've got to be kidding?!?
according to yahoo maps that is 374 miles and 7 hours 8 minutes from pilot point. how is the central to the region? i am going out on a limb and saying that is the farthest anyone has to drive for a regional event.
this is depressing. that prob means i will never see us compete in a regional bball or track tourny ever again. unless west texas starts seeing population regrowth.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Odessa is only for track.

wildstangs
02-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know how often they change up the places for Regional tourneys? I like Texas Tech for the 3A since the panhandle usually fields some great teams as well as the western part of the metroplex.

Last year the 5A Region 1 girls championship was in Odessa. All four reps at the tourney were from DFW. Talk about going out of your way for a game.

KTJ
02-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by sic'em
i promise you the atmosphere over at the hangar at east texas-commerce will far exceed anything in united spirit arena in lubbock for a high school game. that joint gets deafening loud when the whole crowd is stomping on those movable wooden bleachers. i went over there with a college buddy of mine who was from g-ville to see them play clarksville one time. that joint was loud.

Ahh, the Gainesville-Clarksville mini-rivalry. Those were awesome. Especially playing in them.