PDA

View Full Version : Any 3a players planning on going DIII?

Pudlugger
02-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Several 3a players contributed to the great season Mary Hardin Baylor had going to the NCAA final losing a squeeker to Linfield (Oregon). Hardin Simmons ( ASCC Champions), Trinity (SCAC Champions) and Texas Lutheran ( 3rd in ASCC) all had 3a players who played and contributed towards winning seasons. Are any of this year's 3a athletes considering playing in DIII? Unlike DI or DII DIII schools cannot offer athletic scholarships. Players must be student scholars first. The quality of play is excellent and it is all the better knowing the players are participating for the love of the game. .

Trinity had over a hundred and fifty prospective recruits for their two campus weekend events this January. Last season 58 first year players turned out for summer camp. This season should be even better.

BTW, Jerheme Urban (Victoria HS 1998), 2002 All American WR for Trinity, signed with the Seatle Seahawks Feb 8th. Way to go Jerheme!

LH Panther Mom
02-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I heard that MHB is looking at Dexter Hanson.

NHSRattler60
02-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Im headed to Hardin Simmons and will be trying out for the team.

Pudlugger
02-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Great. What position? Hardin-Simmons has a good team.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-13-2005, 03:31 PM
The DIII teams that have been mentioned all have very good football teams. Hardin-Simmons is a class act.

The only problem is that most of the D-III schools are private and the tution is not obtainable by many middle and lower class athletes. However, the ol' saying that when there is a will there is a way stands true and if one wanted to go to a private college and play ball well there is a way some how.

NHSRattler60
02-13-2005, 03:55 PM
O-line/D-line, but really I'll go wherever they need me.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Coach Wardes is a very good person as well as a heck of a coach. Hardin-Simmons is one good place to get an education and win some football games. Plus they have the JV so you can get playing time right away. My son who we begged to go to HSU ended up going to play DII ball and was red-shirted and never hit the field. That is hard to get used to, from a two way starter, All State DB in high school and then to never even tough the field. Hard on him and us as parents. I would have liked to have seen him play on the JV at HSU. Plus the campus is nice, Abilene is a decent city and the dorms at HSU are bigger compared to many I have seen.

I'll have to keep up with you NHSRattler60.

Best of luck.

NHSRattler60
02-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks.

Pudlugger
02-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
The DIII teams that have been mentioned all have very good football teams. Hardin-Simmons is a class act.

The only problem is that most of the D-III schools are private and the tution is not obtainable by many middle and lower class athletes. However, the ol' saying that when there is a will there is a way stands true and if one wanted to go to a private college and play ball well there is a way some how.

Not necesarilly so. If the athlete fills out the FAFSA form and qualifies for federal assistance there are enough Pell grants, loans and scholarships to offset more than the difference between a state school and private tuition. Actually MHBU has a pretty low tuition and is only a few thousand more than UT when you factor in room and board, books and incidentals which are more or less equal at all schools. I don't know about Hardin-Baylor but I bet the tuition isn't as high as SMU or TCU, probably close to MHBU. Trinity has gone up some over the past few years but is still much less than TCU or SMU. When you factor in the small class sizes the personal touch to education and the strong collegiate community you really get your moneies worth. Besides, your kid won't come home a Marxist from these more conservative schools and you can't say that for sure about UT or Texas State can you? The education they get is more a traditional
liberal one that hasn't abandoned the Western canon, and gone whole hog into the post-modern multicultural bs.

Gobbla2001
02-13-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.cuerorecord.com/uploads/articles/sport1pic.jpg

DaRaiderz
02-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Not necesarilly so. If the athlete fills out the FAFSA form and qualifies for federal assistance there are enough Pell grants, loans and scholarships to offset more than the difference between a state school and private tuition. Actually MHBU has a pretty low tuition and is only a few thousand more than UT when you factor in room and board, books and incidentals which are more or less equal at all schools. I don't know about Hardin-Baylor but I bet the tuition isn't as high as SMU or TCU, probably close to MHBU. Trinity has gone up some over the past few years but is still much less than TCU or SMU. When you factor in the small class sizes the personal touch to education and the strong collegiate community you really get your moneies worth. Besides, your kid won't come home a Marxist from these more conservative schools and you can't say that for sure about UT or Texas State can you? The education they get is more a traditional
liberal one that hasn't abandoned the Western canon, and gone whole hog into the post-modern multicultural bs.

I went to both Trinity and SWT (Texas State). You make statements about the two that simply are not true. Yes, D3 schools like Trinity have their own financial aid outside of the government provided financial aid that is available to many students. Some are provided as grants, others as loans. If you are eligible for and receive that aid, they can get you close to the amount it would cost to go to a state school with no funding provided. The oversight is if you are eligible for financial aid at the expensive school, you would more than likely be eligible for financial aid at the less expensive state school. Factor that in and D3 is considerably more expensive. I know, Ive got the student loan payments to prove it.

I dont get where you're going with the Marxist comment at all. It should also be noted that Trinity was WAAAYYYY more liberal than SWT. I mean way more liberal. I for one can say that for sure considering Ive been on both sides of the fence.

CRHSeagle
02-14-2005, 12:34 AM
one of our wr is suppose to go to ACU but im not sure after the coaching change.

big daddy russ
02-14-2005, 01:25 AM
....I don't know about Hardin-Baylor but I bet the tuition isn't as high as SMU or TCU, probably close to MHBU.... Are you referring to Mary Hardin Baylor with the MHBU? I'm confused.:confused:
I know Mary Hardin Baylor's in between $8K and $9K per semester if you factor in room and board.

Pudlugger
02-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Are you referring to Mary Hardin Baylor with the MHBU? I'm confused.:confused:
I know Mary Hardin Baylor's in between $8K and $9K per semester if you factor in room and board.

Yes, Mary Hardin Baylor's tuition plus room and board and incidentals runs about 17,000 per year. Compare that to SMU or TCU at 34,000 per year. UT runs about 15,000 per year. Trinity costs $29,000, making it more expensive than MHBU or UT. As for financial aid, eligibility is based on the same criteria for all schools, FAFSA. Trinity has plenty of federal, and private funding sources for students. As for student loans, a degree at a private school may require more indebtedness than a public one but you get what you pay for IMHO. I went to large public universities as an undergrad UC Berkeley and UC Santa Barbara and graduate school at UCLA and Texas State. I would have definately preferred Trinity over any one of these behemoth institutions.

DaRaiders, if you compare the class size, individual attention paid by profs to undergrads, community atmosphere, overall intellectual environment, Trinity is way ahead of Texas State. How many lower division classes at Texas State have 15 students? Most have 200+. Now if you don't value these things and only look at the bottom line then sure Texas State is cheaper, but so is a Hyundai over a BMW. That doesn't make the Hyundai better, just cheaper. As for the politics, sure Trinity has liberal profs and liberal students but they do not dominate the intellectual landscape. They have conservatives as well, making the atmosphere more balanced than Texas State. If you were in the hard sciences or business school perhaps you might have missed what is going on there in the liberal arts and education departments . Texas State has little tolerance for a conservative student's point of view. I have experienced this first hand so I know what I'm talking about.

FbCoachB40
02-14-2005, 10:28 AM
I had a partial academic scholarship to TAMU that would have allowed me to attend for less than $1,000 a year. However, I passed on it to play ball at a DIII in Iowa.

I payed out the Whazzoo, and acumulated more than $20,000 in student loans. All of that being said......

I WOULDN'T HAVE MISSED IT FOR THE WORLD

When I went back to my HS 10 Yr reunion all the guys were reliving HS football memories. I couldn't remember much of them, because none of those memories can compare to what you will take with you from college ball. GOOD LUCK GUYS!! Don't pass up an opportunity to play!!!

Panther Ross
02-14-2005, 11:34 AM
I still have another year but am thinking about ACU. Mostly because my dad played there and he wants me to go there. Also because I would not mind playing for Coach Gaines.

Panther Ross
02-14-2005, 11:36 AM
The head coach at Mary Hardin Baylor, his parents go to my church so I am also trying to get close with them also.

Pudlugger
02-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
I had a partial academic scholarship to TAMU that would have allowed me to attend for less than $1,000 a year. However, I passed on it to play ball at a DIII in Iowa.

I payed out the Whazzoo, and acumulated more than $20,000 in student loans. All of that being said......

I WOULDN'T HAVE MISSED IT FOR THE WORLD

When I went back to my HS 10 Yr reunion all the guys were reliving HS football memories. I couldn't remember much of them, because none of those memories can compare to what you will take with you from college ball. GOOD LUCK GUYS!! Don't pass up an opportunity to play!!!

Awesome!!! This sums it all up. Playing at the next level is worth the fare of extra tuition. The memories are priceless. Also, for those interested in coaching, DIII footballoffers an athlete the opportunity to really learn the game and it is an entre into coaching. That is one reason my son plays for Trinity as he wants to coach someday. Thanks for the great post.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Everyone agress that playing ball at the college level is a chance of a lifetime, no matter where.

FYI
Southeastern OSU where my son plays the total tuition, books, dorm and board is $5,000 per year (state school). Not semester but per year. It is a small regional university like most in the Lone Star Conference. It is a bit cheaper than average but nontheless. At HSU it will cost $12,000 per year, but yes indeed, you probably get a better education and the profs are more consertative being that it is a Christian University. I teach at Cameron Univ in Lawton and we do have our share of libs. I balance them out though!

Doesn't really matter though.....if there is a will to go then you can find a way. Congrats on all of the 3A players that do go on to play for HSU, MHBU and the such.

Pudlugger
02-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Everyone agress that playing ball at the college level is a chance of a lifetime, no matter where.

FYI
Southeastern OSU where my son plays the total tuition, books, dorm and board is $5,000 per year (state school). Not semester but per year. It is a small regional university like most in the Lone Star Conference. It is a bit cheaper than average but nontheless. At HSU it will cost $12,000 per year, but yes indeed, you probably get a better education and the profs are more consertative being that it is a Christian University. I teach at Cameron Univ in Lawton and we do have our share of libs. I balance them out though!

Doesn't really matter though.....if there is a will to go then you can find a way. Congrats on all of the 3A players that do go on to play for HSU, MHBU and the such.

I've heard about SE Oklahoma State. They are DII right? How'd they do this year? Did they go to the playoffs? Nice to hear your son is playing college ball. It is a tremendous experience and I'm sure he will carry the memories with him for life. Is he paying out of state tuition? Sounds pretty inexpensive and he gets to play football too. Great deal for him and you. LOL

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I've heard about SE Oklahoma State. They are DII right? How'd they do this year? Did they go to the playoffs? Nice to hear your son is playing college ball. It is a tremendous experience and I'm sure he will carry the memories with him for life. Is he paying out of state tuition? Sounds pretty inexpensive and he gets to play football too. Great deal for him and you. LOL

Thanks, yes SE Oklahoma is a DII school that plays in the Lone Star Conference. The past three years they have gone 7-3 each year and last year they went 8-2 and were the conference champions of the North. They made the playoffs and were defeated in the first round by TAMU Kingsville (should have won that game but had 4 turnovers in one quarter--all turned into points).

What they do for the out of state kids is waive the out of state tuition. My son also received some outside academic scholarship money (Boys and Girls Club and LULAC) combined with student loans and some money from Mom and Dad he has been able to go to school and play ball and not have to work.

Each year the football program gives a little more in scholarship money so by the time you are a starter, your school is paid for. But you have to earn that over the years by proving yourself. Many kids qualify for Pell Grants and with that, student loans and $1,000 scholarship it is all paid for. So although $1,000 doesn't seem like much, combined with grants and any other academic scholarships and student loans, one can go to school and not have to work.

The Savages are getting a new stadium this year so it should be very nice. They also have almost the entire defense back that lead the conference last year, so they should field another good team. In DII ball the competition level is very high as half of the players are All state selections and every last one of them were at a minimum All district. They also get a lot of transfers from the OU's and Texas etc. Many players that get a scholarship to the big show don't get playing time or get home sick and transfer back closer to home and go to a DII school. So most true freshman redshirt so they can learn the system and get some more beef on the bones before they see action. (They do get plenty of action in practice like tackling dummies!) But my son told me several times that he loved practice --he never said that in high school.

Hopefully my boy can compete for some special teams play next season and then the following year he can compete for some playing time in the secondary. No pipe dream illusions, you have to give it everything you have just to earn a spot on the special teams so you can travel and just set foot on the field.

Anyway it is a good school and they get more than half of their players from Texas. Most come from the Dallas metroplex area.