PDA

View Full Version : Fort Stockton coach

panther power
02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
3-3A loses another
Fort Stockton’s Roan bound for Stamford
By Sam Waller
Odessa American
After building the Fort Stockton Panthers into a playoff team, Gary Roan is leaving to take on another challenge.
Roan, who has spent five years as head football coach and athletic director at Fort Stockton, was named to the same position Wednesday at Stamford High School.
Roan was expected to submit his resignation today to the Fort Stockton Independent School District.
“I kind of enjoy being able to build programs,” Roan said. “Stamford has a very good tradition as far as winning goes.
“Fort Stockton has been very good to me and my family. We’re sad to leave Fort Stockton because it’s been very good to us. It’s going to be a hard move, but I think it’s a move we need to take.”
Fort Stockton becomes the third member of District 3-3A to lose its head coach this offseason. Bob Purser resigned at Greenwood in December, while Larry Hanna was told last month that he would be replaced at Monahans. Both of those positions remain open.
Fort Stockton superintendent Leonard Kent said the process of finding a replacement won’t begin until Roan formally submits his resignation.
“Until I see something in writing, it has not officially happened,” Kent said.
Roan said at least one Fort Stockton assistant — offensive coordinator Kevin Hall — would eventually join him at Stamford. According to Roan, Hall — also the Panthers track and field coach — will stay at Fort Stockton through the end of the school year.
Stamford, located north of Abilene, won four state championships in the late 1950s and has made 30 playoff appearances since 1936. But the Bulldogs are just 4-26 since their last trip to the postseason in 2001, winning just one game over the last two seasons.
“Stamford has had, in the past, a great reputation of competing in athletics,” Roan said. “I want to try to get it back to where it was at.”
Stamford competes in District 4-2A with Anson, Coahoma, Colorado City, Hawley and Stanton. Colorado City advanced to the Class 2A Division I quarterfinals in 2004.
“It’s going to definitely be a challenge,” Roan said of the district. “By no means is it going to be a cakewalk. But I think, looking at the (Stamford) kids and their work ethic, it’s something you can possibly build on.”
Roan said Stamford’s proximity to family was another factor in his decision.
“There was quite a bit of it being a geographical fit,” he said. “My wife’s family lives at Anson, which is about 15 miles away. And my two kids are in the Dallas area and it gets me closer to them, also.”
Roan has a 93-38-2 career head coaching record with stints at Baird and Aspermont, which are also in the Abilene area. He had a 23-28 record at Fort Stockton.
When Roan was tabbed to head the Fort Stockton program in 2000, the Panthers had just seven postseason appearances in their history and had been to the playoffs only once — 1978 — in the previous 47 years.
The Panthers ended that drought in Roan’s second season, going 6-4 and finishing third in District 4-3A.
This past season saw Fort Stockton finish in a three-way tie for the District 3-3A championship. A 6-5 campaign included three losses by two points or less. The season ended with a 31-7 loss to eventual state champion Abilene Wylie in the Class 3A Division I bi-district round in a game the Panthers trailed 14-7 at halftime.
Roan said he believes the program is now established enough to continue contending for the playoffs.
“I visited with the kids (Thursday) and I believe they understand what it takes to be a winner now,” he said. “They’re working hard and I think they’re ready to step out and keep things going the way they are.”

Bubba-Joe
02-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Bubba Joe has found out that Hall was not even considering staying, he was with Roan for all interviews...was a package deal!!!

he was there too make sure they all had one of them there drive thru Red barn where ya could buy a six pack of two in the middle of June and July to take with ya fishin out on Lake Stamford.
Bubba's sources tell him that a seldom used boat out towards Mesquite Springs will be makin an floating apperance on Lake Stamford as soon as the crappie start to bitin good.

panther power
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Bubba, your a little late on the news buddy, good info. though!