PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Question?

PhiI C
02-12-2005, 11:26 AM
This could probably apply to some other sports as well. For example if Aransas Pass beats Mathis Tuesday night they will be tied with Goliad for First Place or Co-District Champions during the regular district games season. Unless they have a coin flip they will probably play a game to see who represents the district as district champions. My question is this: Is the winner considered the district champions and the loser runner rup or is the game just considered an extra game just to see who gets to represent the district as champion or runner up? I guess the latter case with history showing that the two teams are co-champions.

Gobbla2001
02-12-2005, 11:29 AM
On paper they are co-champs, but the co-champ with the win over the co-champ are the real champs in hearts and minds...

PhiI C
02-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
On paper they are co-champs, but the co-champ with the win over the co-champ are the real champs in hearts and minds...

Thanks Gob! That is the way I think it is too.

NHSRattler60
02-12-2005, 01:49 PM
According to UIL, theres no such thing as a 3 way tie. Navasota, Bellville, and Rice Consolidated tied for district champs for 20-3a in football. We got our medals, and we aren't 1st place. Which is bull.

Buccaneer
02-14-2005, 03:33 AM
In football you have a points system to break ties. In basketball you play it off because for your position in the brackets and byes!

raider red 2000
02-14-2005, 08:36 AM
as far as who is considered first....i have seen it both ways. two teams as co-champs and the play-off to decide seeding and champs.

i am not sure if it is up to the coaches the ADs or the district.

WOS1
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
We have the same situation here this year. The WO-S girls and Orangefield tied for first, they had a playoff Saturday which WO-S won. They are co-champs with WO-S going as the first seed. Strong possibility these 2 could meet again in the region finals.