PDA

View Full Version : Two Great Football Movies You May not have heard of

Phil C
02-11-2005, 03:32 PM
One was All-American which starred Tony Curtis. It was a good movie that I once saw on television years ago. Frank Gifford the great football player and sports announcer also had a part in the movie in the role of Stan.
Another one was The Rose Bowl Story starring Marshall Thompson. Another good football movie. Thompson is best known as the doctor in the tv series Daktari. He also starred as the assassin the movie The Tall Target based on a true event in Baltimore in 1861 before the Civil War when some conspirators tried to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. Dick Powell plays the agent that protects the President and ironically his character was named John Kennedy. Also appearing himself in the Rose Bowl movie was Tom Harmon the great Heisman Trophy winner from Michigan who later was the broadcaster for the UCLA football games. Harmon played great football for Michigan for three years but Michigan could never beat Minnesota who were national champions two years while Harmon was at Michigan and also ironically Harmon was not popular with his teammates who insulted him when he was a senior by not electing him captain of the football team.

These two movies as I remember are great movies and I think they are not very long and were filmed in black and white which may be why you don't see them on the ESPN classics.

Phil C
02-11-2005, 03:45 PM
These two movies were made in 1953-54 I think.

Another good football movie is called Father was a Fullback with Fred Macmurray as a football coach. This movie emphasis humor and college football recruiting. Macmurray made many great movies and is probably best known as the father in the television series My Three Sons. The movie also featured Natalie Wood as Macmurray's young daughter. I saw this movie a long time ago but from what I remember it was a good movie.

Another great movie I would like to see was called Hold That Coed but I am not sure it was about football too much and it has been many years since I have seen it and would like to see it again. I do remember it was a great movie. It was made in about 1937 and starred John Barrymore who does a magnificient job of playing the college president.

Bullaholic
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
How bout' "Jim Thorpe" with Burt Lancaster, Phil?

Phil C
02-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How bout' "Jim Thorpe" with Burt Lancaster, Phil?

That is a great movie too Bull. I have seen it on ESPN Classics. I think they show it fairly regularly but those other movies I haven't seen on tv for years. :(