PDA

View Full Version : Texas Lawmaker Seeks End To College Bowl System

CHS_Grad '85
02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Texas Lawmaker Seeks End To College Bowl System
Feb 10, 2005 7:13 pm US/Central

A legislator and University of Texas graduate is getting serious about his plan to bust up the Bowl Championship Series. Representative Corbin Van Arsdale of Tomball last week filed a non-binding House resolution urging the abolition of the BCS. He also wants the BCS formula that picks teams for college footballs biggest bowl games and crowns a national champion to be thrown out. Texas on January first played in the Rose Bowl and beat Michigan 38-37. That was UT's first appearance in a BCS bowl. On Thursday, Van Arsdale filed a bill that would prevent any state-supported school from Texas from participating in a BCS game. Van Arsdale thinks the NCAA should institute a playoff for Division 1-A football. His bill banning a Texas school from the BCS would only take effect if four other states pass similar laws.

http://keyetv.com/localnews/local_story_041201815.html

Gobbla2001
02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Wow, that's a very interesting subject...

I think it could be a very good thing... just depends on who the other four states are...

If they are:

New Mexico
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming

then I say the NCAA will go ahead and say "Okay, so we lose really only one state that looks to produce a BcS caliber team within the next few years, just one isn't bad..."

However, if it is:

Alabama (Auburn didn't get a chance this year, wouldn't surprise me if they are on the list)
Florida
OK (why would the Sooners want to do it though, they have really enjoyed it the last two years)
Cali (and why would they, the BcS lets them 'share' titles and 'win' titles)

(not saying either OU or USC didn't deserve them BTW, hopefully you get my drift)

then I'd say the NCAA better do something before the schools push not to drop the BcS only, but the NCAA in a whole... if that is possible...

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-13-2005, 03:28 PM
BCS and the bowl system is a bunch of crap. Division I is the only football division in the NCAA that uses bowls. DI A, DII, and DIII along with the NAIA all use a playoff system.

There is no excuse why one can't use a playoff system when all the other divisions use it.