PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Head Coach----John Odell

BigTime
11-25-2002, 07:34 PM
I heard last Thursday night at the Giddings school board meeting....the board voted 4 to 3 to investigate the schools options in firing or reassigning John Odell, Giddings Head football Coach and Athletic Director......I heard several parents went to the board meeting requesting that Odell be removed as football coach.....Has anybody else heard anything????

BigTime
11-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Remember Giddings has reached the playoffs 5 years in a role...but, posted its worst record (3-8) in the last 10 to 15 years of the Giddings program....
1992---Tri District Champs
1993---Undefeated District Champions, Lost in first round to Columbus
1994---2nd runner up in district, 7-5, beat Llano in first round and lost to Bandera by 1 point in 2nd round
1995---9-2-1, Co-Champs, Beat Llano, lost to Cuero
1996---Warricks last season in Giddings
1997---5-5
1998---10-4 Semifinals, Lost to Cuero
1999---5-6, lost to Rockdale in first round
2000---6-5, lost to China Springs
2001---13-2, lost to La Grange in Semi's

2001GiddingsLB
11-25-2002, 08:40 PM
I've heard the same thing don't know, but i doubt anything will happen. Giddings will drag its feet and probably be stuck with Odell or some other hapless coach or maybe a good coach who will stay on for 2 yrs. and then leave cuz AD at Giddings doesn't pay well enough. Nothing like being a stepping stone.

2001GiddingsLB
11-25-2002, 08:41 PM
Hey big time we were undefeated district champs in 2001 as well.

BigTime
11-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Yeah....I know Giddings was undefeated last season in district...I also know Forestry is a great career....at ole' SFA.....

Jacket2000
11-26-2002, 12:21 AM
Sorry, but I had to step in here.
Guess what? A coach cannot make, or break, a program in one season without doing something very drastic(ie Baca at Pilot Point). Hell, Odell hasnt had time to impliment ANY of his own systems.Besides, Ivey didnt exactly leave the cupboard full. I think he may have seen the writing on the wall. Odell is a good coach. He did a good job at Grandview and, if the community will support him like they did at Grandview, he'll do a good job at Giddings too. But, ya gotta give the man more than 10 weeks to do it.
J2K

oldbuff78
11-26-2002, 04:20 AM
He may as well look for a different job, from what I hear. I am on the road and still heard about it.

INOUNVME
11-26-2002, 07:43 AM
2001GiddingsLB - stepping stone? Come on now, you got to be kidding me. Leave for more money? WOW, where does that come from? Hey, just giving you a hard time. Good to see you the other night. Your old LB coach was upset that he did not get to spend more time with you. You need to find time to come over here and visit and do some fishing. I have plans to head to Buffalo land one weekend and get some angling in myself. Deer hunting this week at my parents. Looks like things are stirred up again in G-Town. Who is BigTime anyway? Do I know him? Holler at me and hope you have a good thanksgiving. By the way, wrestling is a ball. Wish I knew what I was doing. Learning something new everyday.

INOUNVME
11-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Jacket, maybe you know some things that I don't, but there was still some quality things left in that cubboard. There was still some talent left there. Speed and smart football players that I know of. I am saying nothing other than giving the kids on that team some credit. I realize that graduation hurt, but I would have taken a dozen of those kids on my team this year. Lastly, you made the statement about a coach not being able to make or break a program in one year - I beg to differ. I am not pointing fingers at the Giddings staff, I think they did a good job during difficult times. Changing of the guard there was difficult. BUT, I do think that a staff can ruin a program and ruin one quickly. Not saying that this happened there, just disagreeing with your statement.

2001GiddingsLB
11-26-2002, 10:09 AM
INOUNVME- I wasn't referring to Ivey as using Giddings as a stepping stone but alot of people have. Warrick, McCaig maybe others I don't know all I know is I saw 3 athletic directors in my 6 year stint in GISD athlethics. I plan on getting some hunting done too this weekend. I'll come down and get some fishing in too. I might try to stop in before my christmas break I'll give you a holler. Also Jacket I think Odell also did a good job at Grandview but Giddings is too stuck in its ways. If its not an I-Formation power running game the town ain't happy. although maybe I don't have the pulse of the town anymore but I think I do. Hey Big Time how is weather out there in west Texas.

buffalo booster
11-26-2002, 10:20 AM
There's a lot of frustration in the land of the Buffalo. True, graduation hurt. But, there was enough talent left behind to continue the winning tradition. This team was much better than it's 3-8 record, and it's record should've been much better.

Some, but not all, of the responsibility has to be assumed by the coaching staff. The "new offense" started 0-3 before it was scrapped. The "rotating QBs" was 1-2. Seems like we finally got the kids in their right positions and in the right formations down the stretch, but the play-calling was poor. If you're a Buffalo fan, and went to a game or a two, then I don't need to elaborate...

But, I'm still proud of the Buffs. I can live with 3-8. I can't, however, live with the reported brow-beating and negative attitudes of some of the coaches. I don't believe in leading through intimidation and threatening kids.

This, more than a losing record, is what is upsetting a lot of folks and this is also what needs to change. If not, then there will be other changes...

INOUNVME
11-26-2002, 10:34 AM
2001GiddingsLB - I have to head to Lee County to get my fishing done. This present county I am in is not quite doing the deal for me. Making me look like a piss poor fisherman. We both know that isn't true (well, maybe it is). Is BigTime one of the boys I know in ElPaso City? Be careful going home and give me a shout. I will get in touch with you as well. How did the trip and game go this weekend for you?

BullBacker
11-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Jacket I have to disagree. Bport went 0-10 in 1993 and the next year they brought in Henson and his staff and they went to area.

2001GiddingsLB
11-26-2002, 11:18 AM
INOUNVME- ok I'll give you a call and see whats happening. we won this weekend 17-12 it was a good game they were at our 5 meter line with time expired and they had a play cuz we got a penalty. I hammered the guy with the ball and jarred it loose and one of our guys picked it up and kicked it out of bounds to win the game. so we're 4-0 in conference and we're in the playoffs. we still have 3 conference games left next semester. I'll be sure to get in touch with ya and yeah I think big time is from out west, but it ternt Big D. Thank you bull backer for addressing Jacket with a case in point.

2001GiddingsLB
11-26-2002, 03:05 PM
just putting this back to the top

Jacket2000
11-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Wow, I didnt know everyone in the town of Giddings had gone to college, gotten a teaching certificate, and had been coaching football for 20+ years! Hell, he's been there for one year! Of course, Im not suprised. People never wanna believe that it's THEIR boys' fault that the team isn't winning. It couldn't be a simple lack of talent of even just a down year. It's always easier to blame the new guy from outta town.
In response to Bullbacker's post, I didn't say that it never happens, but it's very rare. Besides, there are usually many factors involved. Joey Florence at Denton Ryan is a great example.
Not to take anything away from Joey, he is a great coach who is excellent at getting the most from his players. But, it wasnt his expertise alone that has caused the turnaround. It also involved a change to the spread offense(much like Henson did at Bridgeport, I believe), and a sudden influx of talent(amazing how many D1 products Ryan is producing nowadays, huh?). So basicly, what Im saying, is lay of Coach O'dell unless you can do better. In 4 years, if there still is no improvement, then there's something to talk about.
J2K

gobraves
11-26-2002, 04:35 PM
I have sat on my hands and just been reading the posts all day long on this thread. It is very disappointing to hear the lack of support for a new coach. I fully agree with Jacket. Let's give this coach a little time to get his system in place. Yes there are exceptions to the rule but in many cases it takes a year or two for a coach to get a feel for the new town that he is in. In the offseason he will have the opportunity to work with the kids in Giddings and be prepared for next year. The problem that I see is that if the people of Giddings are not patient with Odell then the glass is always going to be half empty. It does not matter what he does you guys are going to always see it as a negative. I suggest everyone just step back and support the staff and players. I guess I see it as a positive that his players did not quit on him when they were 0-5 and they made the playoffs. I have seen other teams quit on a coach if they didn't support him, but that did not happen in Giddings this year.
What is next are we going to fire the staff in Celina because they did not win state this year? That is what happened in previous years. I guess the coach there is not up to the task!
It might be best for all of the coaches from the past move on to their new positions and instead of tearing down the new staff support the kids that you seem to love so much!
As for me, I support the BUFFALO NATION!

<small>[ November 26, 2002, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: gobraves ]</small>

2001GiddingsLB
11-26-2002, 08:58 PM
I believe that Odell could do some good things and yes it might have been a down year as well but why wait 4 years when you know your going to waste time. You know what the Buffs did last year in offseason played DODGEBALL! Theres a frikin winning tradition! I normally wouldn't be one to jump on a new coach, but since I know many of the players and heard many of their dissentions its easy for me to know the situation. Thats why I have a problem personally I don't know the guy so its no big deal. However someone told me that Odell had cancelled the Fall Sports Banquet because the team hadn't earned it. I don't know if it is but if it is true that is piss poor. That is a great way to support your players saying that there effort isn't worth a damn. That is the problem I have that and a 3-8 record. Peace Out!And I support THE HERD not the Buffalo Nation!

Chucky Rules
11-26-2002, 09:58 PM
2001GiddingsLB:
I believe that Odell could do some good things and yes it might have been a down year as well but why wait 4 years when you know your going to waste time. You know what the Buffs did last year in offseason played DODGEBALL! Theres a frikin winning tradition! I normally wouldn't be one to jump on a new coach, but since I know many of the players and heard many of their dissentions its easy for me to know the situation. Thats why I have a problem personally I don't know the guy so its no big deal. However someone told me that Odell had cancelled the Fall Sports Banquet because the team hadn't earned it. I don't know if it is but if it is true that is piss poor. That is a great way to support your players saying that there effort isn't worth a damn. That is the problem I have that and a 3-8 record. Peace Out!And I support THE HERD not the Buffalo Nation!You see, this is how rumors get started. Yes, I am new to this board it was brought to my attention by a friend of mine whom I used to coach with and is a current member of the Giddings staff. I have been reading with interest and felt like I needed to find out what was going on. Maybe this can clear up a few things.
First your comment on last years offseason. Let's take a look at what happened. Odell was hired in the spring, he only had two members of the staff that were staying. He was also only there four days a week (it is very hard to get out of these contract things as he taught a class in Grandview). There was much more than dodge ball going on. Weights and 7 on 7 were done on a regular basis also. Was it a good and complete offseason? Probably not, but where was that previous staff that cared so much for those kids? Were they helping out, that may help your answer some. It is hard to run a good offseason with only two or three coaches. Now I know what you are going to say, Odell told them he didn't need them. That may be true or may not be I don't know the answer to that. But as a head coach myself I can tell you that sometimes you work in good situations that way and sometime you don't. I'm sure that he made a decision based on his feelings for the guys who were there which is his job. Not to say they aren't good coaches but sometimes when you are leaving your heart is just not in it. While they were going through off-season in Giddings my friend was running the offseason program for his new coach at his old school (who is by the way in the playoffs this year) partially because of the offseason program they had.
As for the sports banquet here is another rumor. Now to be put to rest. The plan is to have an all-sports banquet at the end of the year that celebrates all sports. Why is it being done this way? Not because the team didn't earn it just because that is how Odell has always done it. This was seconded by whoever helps put it on. It is done this way in a lot of places because basically all you honor at a fall sports banquet is the football and volleyball teams.
In conclusion let me say this. Odell may not be perfect of course none of us are. He is however a good coach and will get the job done if everyone will give him a chance. Blast him if you will about some things you don't like but make sure of your facts before you post them on the internet. Posting rumors just makes you look bad in the long run.

2001GiddingsLB
11-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Nicely put!

Chucky Rules
11-26-2002, 10:45 PM
2001GiddingsLB:
Nicely put!Thanks for taking the time to read my response. I say get on board, give the team and coaches full support, and enjoy winning (because it will happen Giddings has too much talent to stay down long).

INOUNVME
11-27-2002, 12:04 AM
I for one have heard all kinds of rumors and have kept them off of this posting site. As a coach, we need to stick together. As a person that cared for Giddings, I will stick with them and support the kids, community, and school. I am sure that I have come off as negative from time to time or even partial to some folks, but you have to understand that some of us care about what happens to those kids. In terms of work done last Spring, I was there. I KNOW what went on and how it went on. I did not bring it up and I will not continue it. I also know what went on this Summer. I did bring that up, and I will let it drop right there. In terms of where one's heart was last Spring, most would agree that the coaches in Giddings at the time bled black and gold. PERIOD. Coach Odell is a good man and has put together a solid staff. I support them as much as anyone as a fan of Giddings Football. Good luck to the Buffs and coaching staff.

Chucky Rules
11-27-2002, 09:47 AM
Sorry Inou,
After rereading my post I hope you didn't take that as an attack on the former staff. I was just speculating why the offseason program last year may not have been up to par. You are right, I wasn't there so it is just speculation. Being a head coach I know that those situations can be touchy but I wasn't meaning any harm. I don't know Odell that well but I do know that the only bad thing I have ever heard on him is that parents sometimes think he is pushing their kids too hard in offseason. Imagine that huh? Keep supporting the staff, I am sure they appreciate it, they have my full backing as well.

mindy
11-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Lombardi, sad to put that quote at the end of a message that is defending the HC in giddings.
Dodgeball, closing the wt.room in the month of June, dew rags\earrings at 7 on 7 or so i am told. which i believe dodgeball has already been played again since the end of their season, wow, that sounds like a man with discipline and a strong offseason program, all kids run track=LAZY, all kids to one athletic period=LAZY
YOU BETTER FIELD A TEAM IN LEE COUNTY, Also the kids there now, even the young kids, know what a real offseason is like, so you can't fool them, they know if they are working or not, Look forward not behind you, it's hard to coach in Lee county (THE IVEY ERA WILL CONTINUE)

BUFFALO PRIDE
11-27-2002, 11:33 AM
I would just like to chime in here with a few words. After reading everyone's posts, I would just like to verify that yes, dodgeball seems to be a rising trend in Giddings Athletics recently. Have they proposed this as a new U.I.L. sport yet? I don't intend on spreading any new rumours, I was just curious.

oldbuff78
11-27-2002, 12:03 PM
I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that O'dell should never have been hired in Giddings to begin with. And from close ties in Giddings, he is not right for kids and did not hire a staff which kids would benefit from. Let's give the people in Giddings a break on this one. They have a right to gripe. This issue would be of great concern in Forney or in Sinton, and I would agree with them also.Good luck to all teams this weekend, I will be at the Sinton- Burnet game. Go Pirates!!!

gochargers!!
11-27-2002, 12:16 PM
UNBELIEVABLE. 8 months on the job....5.5 - 6 months full-time. Made the play-offs. Played TOUGH teams in pre-season..(Cameron-2nd Round...Rockdale-2nd Round...Columbus-Dftd. by La Grange[9-1] 10-0) Good showing in virtually every game played. I want to see what happens after a full year w/ the next bunch of players.

GO BUFFS!!

bc 76
11-27-2002, 12:36 PM
OldBuff78 was the current wharton head coach ever a coach at giddings and if he was how did he do?

oldbuff78
11-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Yes, Russell was at Giddings. He had a great year in 1986, would have been in the state final game if both running backs would have not been injured against Hebbronville. He is a good christian man. I think he was to conserative in big games.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-27-2002, 05:41 PM
Doesnt dodge ball improve ur quickness and quick thinking? Theres more than one way to run a successful program! I saw giddings play last year early in the season and they had a very good team, but it wasnt all coaching it takes players, coaching and a supportive community to make it successfull. good luck next year

mindy
11-27-2002, 06:24 PM
SintonFan_inAustin:
Doesnt dodge ball improve ur quickness and quick thinking? Theres more than one way to run a successful program! I saw giddings play last year early in the season and they had a very good team, but it wasnt all coaching it takes players, coaching and a supportive community to make it successfull. good luck next yeareek! eek! you sound like a coach that the HC in giddings may need to hire, you two can knock heads on the best throwing techniques in dodgeball or the best way to dodge your opponents throw at you after they catch the football on you in a football game. Sounds like a good offseason to me, very game like on friday nights eek! eek! eek!

You would think he may leave after all that has happened but i think he may be one those guys that will ruin things just to prove that he's the man in charge.. Boy thats great for kids isn't it, get him out,,, BRING BACK THE MAN ,, COACH IVEY

gochargers!!
11-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Somebody's drawers are in a wad. Odell is not that kind of guy.