View Full Version : is duke vs north carolina basketball

jason
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
the best rivalry in college sports ??

i think so

they square off tonight on espn.....

HighSchool Fan
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
florida, florida state and miami are pretty big rivalries. don't forget michigan and michigan st. or michigan and ohio st.

Bullaholic
02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by jason

i think so

Don't hold a candle to football rivalries UT-OU, UT -aTm, ND- MICH, FLA-FLA ST., LSU-Auburn, or even Army-Navy. Don't count as a sport if you can't "run" with the ball and knock somebody down legally.

pirate44
02-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Don't count as a sport if you can't "run" with the ball and knock somebody down legally.
according to whom?

Bullaholic
02-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
according to whom?

That's right, P44---In Texas, all those "other" seasons are known as "non-football" season. :D

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm a bigger football fan than basketball fan, a bigger ut football fan than a unc basketball fan (tar-heel hoops runs a close second), however, it IS a bigger rivalry in my eyes...

Number 1: Up until this year, they've played atleast twice every season (3 at times depending on the way the ACC tourney turns out), so you only have to wait a few weeks to get revenge if you lose...

Number 2: Two of the best programs year in year out...

Number 3: Only 12 miles apart...

plently more where those came from...

They are 'the' programs in college basketball...

In college football, there are no 'the' programs, you have atLEAST one team from EVERY confrence who is a 'the' type program, there are just too many...

In college basketball you basically have a small handfull of 'the' programs (Duke, UNC, Kansas maybe, Michigan State until Izzo leaves, Kentucky until Smith leaves and Indiana before Knight left...)...

This rivalry IS the REAL deal...

Go Tar-Heels...

pirate44
02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
That's right, P44---In Texas, all those "other" seasons are known as "non-football" season. :D
you get a list of names of people in texas who agree with you and ill get a list who disagree and i'll bet mine is longer

Bullaholic
02-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
you get a list of names of people in texas who agree with you and ill get a list who disagree and i'll bet mine is longer

How much paper and time have we got?

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 05:58 PM
How much paper? Well, you'd need a lot if most of Texas and most of the posters here thought outside of football and opened up their mind to circumstances, but there's no way that would happen, I'm an unusual case...

The only REAL arguement I can think of is that football has been around longer... To YOU, UT/OU may be a bigger rivalry, it actually is to me, but only on a PERSONAL level... But when opening up my mind to other things, and looking and all situations etc..., Duke/UNC is obvious...

pirate44
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
How much paper and time have we got?
hehe, all id have to do is sit outside a single nascar event and jot down names and id have ya beat. and i dont even like nascar.:D

HighSchool Fan
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

They are 'the' programs in college basketball...

if a program wants to be called 'the program' they need to compete for a championship each and every year. unc hasn't done that in a few years. they are on the way back up. but give them a couple of more years before you call them 'the program'.

Bullaholic
02-09-2005, 06:01 PM
How much paper? Well, you'd need a lot if most of Texas and most of the posters here thought outside of football and opened up their mind to circumstances, but there's no way that would happen, I'm an unusual case...

The only REAL arguement I can think of is that football has been around longer... To YOU, UT/OU may be a bigger rivalry, it actually is to me, but only on a PERSONAL level... But when opening up my mind to other things, and looking and all situations etc..., Duke/UNC is obvious...

You sure are getting serious in your old age, Gobbla. Where you been all this time---communing with the Dali Lama?

TheDOCTORdre
02-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Hands down the greatest college sports rivalry takes place between those two teams seperated by that 12 mile stretch known as Tobacco Road. Duke and UNC, IMO is the greatest rivalry in college sports and the 2nd greatest rivalry in all of sports only 2nd to MLB's Red Sox and Yankees

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
if a program wants to be called 'the program' they need to compete for a championship each and every year. unc hasn't done that in a few years. they are on the way back up. but give them a couple of more years before you call them 'the program'.

They compete for a championship every time they reach March Madness, unlike college football where you lose one game and your competition is over...

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Hands down the greatest college sports rivalry takes place between those two teams that 12 mile stretch known as Tobacco Road. Duke and UNC, IMO is the greatest rivalry in college sports and the 2nd greatest rivalry in all of sports only 2nd to MLB's Red Sox and Yankees

HINT HINT: Tabacco Road... Didn't even mention that... The road had been named Tabacco Road long before the UNC/Duke rivalry if I am not mistaken... But that's another example of while this rivalry is the greatest in college sports, we folks in Texas can tell you the road's nickname...

PLUS, Dick Vitale calls the games every year (well has every time I've watched the game), he's the numbre uno guy for espn college round-ball coverage, you don't see the tops of college football called UT/OU each year...

HighSchool Fan
02-09-2005, 06:10 PM
They compete for a championship every time they reach March Madness, unlike college football where you lose one game and your competition is over...

1 and out isn't competing for a championship. let them get to the final 8 or better, then you can say they are competing for a championship

Bullaholic
02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Gobbla.....I've got to make one serious reply on this thread. You said it correctly when you said that the biggest rivalry is the one that matters most to you PERSONALLY. Now what benchmark you would use to decide which rivalry is indeed the biggest in sports, I will leave that open to debate among those that truly want to be "open-minded" on the topic. I don't think you can arrive at a prohibitive, definitve answer on this one. And I think you knew I was "tugging" on P44's "chain" when I was talking about the sport of football vs. other sports. It does happen to my personal favorite, but that doesn't make it "king" in everyone else's heart and mind.

sahen
02-09-2005, 06:56 PM
personally i think Michigan/Ohio State is teh biggest rivalry...however football is different you get one chance per year and if you dont win taht is it....in bball you get a 2nd chance...that said, im not a Michigan or Ohio State fan but manage to watch that game yearly along w/ millions of others but most notably teh 120,000+ that jam into that moshpit of a stadium.....

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Gobbla.....I've got to make one serious reply on this thread. You said it correctly when you said that the biggest rivalry is the one that matters most to you PERSONALLY. Now what benchmark you would use to decide which rivalry is indeed the biggest in sports, I will leave that open to debate among those that truly want to be "open-minded" on the topic. I don't think you can arrive at a prohibitive, definitve answer on this one. And I think you knew I was "tugging" on P44's "chain" when I was talking about the sport of football vs. other sports. It does happen to my personal favorite, but that doesn't make it "king" in everyone else's heart and mind.

What benchmark would I use? A bunch of benchmarks, you can't just have one...

I've mentioned a bunch of them, location, how they're top teams year in year out (High School Fan, name any other rivalry that involves a team that contends for the championship EVERY year, there isn't one, not even UNC/Duke, you know what I meant), the last time I checked UNC had 14 players in the NBA (on top) and Duke 12 (2nd or 3rd)... Duke can say they produced Grant Hill, UNC can say they produced M.J... The tradition is great at these two schools, they have more retired numbers hanging from the ceiling than college has rivalries...

What other 'hot' rivalry can you think of that presents the situation:

UNC star takes a six minute trip to get a bite to eat after practice, so does a Duke star, they leave their practices at the same time, both travel six minutes and end up eating at the same place, wow, that would be a stressful meal...

During the offseason these guys do pick-up games with friends and end up running into each other like it was nothing...

I can think of a million more... Don't take my tone too seriously btw, I'm not being that serious, but I am being serious :)

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Also, if you look at it, we're talking about college basketball out of North Carolina on a Texas high school football website... 130 views...

I know BC and Illinois sparked a college round-ball discussion last night, but the thread turned into a discussion about the #2 and #7 team, not the #1 and soon to be former #4 team...

HighSchool Fan
02-09-2005, 07:35 PM

UNC star takes a six minute trip to get a bite to eat after practice, so does a Duke star, they leave their practices at the same time, both travel six minutes and end up eating at the same place, wow, that would be a stressful meal...

i didn't realize that where you ate at would have anything to do with a rivalry. i learned something new today

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
i didn't realize that where you ate at would have anything to do with a rivalry. i learned something new today

I'd take that into consideration most of the time, however you swore up and down and knocked down all doors about how bad the G'Ville would be last year, can't take your view on sports too seriously now...;)

Good point though... but, yet again, 'you know what I meant'...

big daddy russ
02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Duke/UNC is a huge rivalry on a national scale. People in Alaska look forward to that one. Carlos Boozer and Trajan Langdon came to Duke from Alaska because they just knew.

College football rivalries are local deals. If you look at the landscape of college football and the importance of specific games to their demographic, either Auburn/Alabama or Army/Navy are the the biggest, truest rivalries. Those teams hate, and I mean hate each other. These UT/A&M threads would look silly compared to Auburn/Bama or Army/Navy debates. Heck, those Iron Bowl arguments usually turn into fistfights, even in the "politically correct 2000's."

If you were lucky enough to go to a school that looked forward to beating one particular other school year-in, year-out for the last 50 years or so then you can understand what that rivalry is like. Ingleside looked forward to beating Aransas Pass and vice versa, Corpus Christi Calallen looks forward to beating Gregory-Portland and vice versa. My freshman year in HS our teams (ING and AP) met out at a pasture after the game for a huge brawl. Every year there were little ones leading up to the game. We hated each other that much.Those are some of the best examples from South Texas. If UT/OU or Michigan/Ohio State could spark that kind of passion in Maine, in Florida or in Washington I'd give it to them. But they don't. UNC/Duke does and that's why they're the bigger rivalry.

HighSchool Fan
02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I'd take that into consideration most of the time, however you swore up and down and knocked down all doors about how bad the G'Ville would be last year, can't take your view on sports too seriously now...;)

go back and look at what i said about Gainesville, let me refresh you, i said IF they get average qb play then they will have a shot at the championship. turns out their qb stunk.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 07:58 PM
go back and look at what i said about Gainesville, let me refresh you, i said IF they get average qb play then they will have a shot at the championship. turns out their qb stunk.

Yah, I do remember you saying that...

And as proof, this is what you said:

"Before last season I was over in Gainesville talking to Coach Cordell, he was hoping that last years team would go a few games deep in the playoffs. He was banking on this years team as being alot better. They are bigger, stronger and faster. 2 of their top 3 defensive players were Soph. The only question that I have about Gainesville is at QB. If they get solid QB play, don't be surprised if they repeat."

He doesn't lie...

HighSchool Fan
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
He doesn't lie...

nuff said :p

Bullaholic
02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
. If UT/OU or Michigan/Ohio State could spark that kind of passion in Maine, in Florida or in Washington I'd give it to them. But they don't. UNC/Duke does and that's why they're the bigger rivalry.

Russ.....I still just don't think that UNC/Duke is the bigger rivalry than the Ohio State/Michigan football game, or maybe some of the others because:

1. UNC/Duke doesn't draw 103,000 attendance.

2. National media audience is not as large. (Undocumented)

3. Passion- This is an unfortunate point---I don't know of many college towns that have had to have the riot police quell riots after basketball loses/wins.

4. I still believe that more sports fans could tell you the final score of one of the major football rivalry games than the Duke/UNC game.

pirate44
02-09-2005, 11:08 PM
oh sure, youre serious about it at first but when i bring up nascar, your tugging my chain.:D yeehaaaw. i got a hankerin for some dukes of hazzard

jason
02-09-2005, 11:21 PM
GREAT game tonight...

duke wins by 1....

setex
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM

Who won this rivalry game?

I guess I missed your post Jason, my mouse doesn't
go to basketball, but sound like a great game.

Gobbla2001
02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Russ.....I still just don't think that UNC/Duke is the bigger rivalry than the Ohio State/Michigan football game, or maybe some of the others because:

1. UNC/Duke doesn't draw 103,000 attendance.

2. National media audience is not as large. (Undocumented)

3. Passion- This is an unfortunate point---I don't know of many college towns that have had to have the riot police quell riots after basketball loses/wins.

4. I still believe that more sports fans could tell you the final score of one of the major football rivalry games than the Duke/UNC game.

In response to your statements...

1. Neither Cameron Indoor Stadium or the Dean Dome hold over 15,000

2. The games are played during the week, the game just ended, this late, most sporting events get the bigger ratings on weekends, this is Wed....

3. Passion? Have you not seen the Cameron Crazy's? Did you watch the game? Theses are two of the top universities in the nation, these kids are going home to study, no need for a riot on a Wed... maybe the weekend, after a national championship (the last college riot I heard of in relation to a college sport was in East Lansing Michigan... after Michigan State won the NCAA basketball tourney...

4. Of course they could... There is no football rivalry that spans close to 300 games as the UNC/Duke rivalry does...

Another point, this win by Duke makes the record Duke 30 UNC-28 in the last 58 meeting... sounds like a rivalry's record if I ever heard of one...

jason
02-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by setex
Who won this rivalary game? duke by 1

PhiI C
02-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Duke 71 UNC 70. It don't get any closer than that. It must have been a great game.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Duke 71 UNC 70. It don't get any closer than that. It must have been a great game.

Actually, the game still isn't over, ball went out of bounds with .9 tics left on the clock (rewinded it like 50 times thanks to dish net), I just feel the refs didn't wanna deal with whose ball it was, would have been a very close call...

No excuses though, Duke stopped any penatration from Felton and they held on to the ball too long...

We'll get 'em next time, they needed another loss I feel... Win out Heels!

District303aPastPlayer
02-10-2005, 01:14 AM
In response to your statements...

3. Passion? Have you not seen the Cameron Crazy's? Did you watch the game? Theses are two of the top universities in the nation, these kids are going home to study, no need for a riot on a Wed... maybe the weekend, after a national championship (the last college riot I heard of in relation to a college sport was in East Lansing Michigan... after Michigan State won the NCAA basketball tourney...

4. Of course they could... There is no football rivalry that spans close to 300 games as the UNC/Duke rivalry does...

Another point, this win by Duke makes the record Duke 30 UNC-28 in the last 58 meeting... sounds like a rivalry's record if I ever heard of one...

3. The Cameron Crazy's NEVER sit down during the game. If you will sit and watch, they are ALWAYS standing, chanting something at the opposition. i look forward to this game every year... for 2 days out of the year... nothing else matters in basketball except which color of blue is more dominant.

4. The UNC-Duke rivalry has produced some of the great college basketball players and games in recent history. I can name more players from these 2 schools than i can from any other university in the nation.

AggieJohn
02-10-2005, 01:39 AM

i think so

football, no....

basketball, most definately

District303aPastPlayer
02-10-2005, 02:08 AM
college rivalry... yes... everything else is just secondary... IMHO...

KTJ
02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Whoever said the UT/A&M rivalry ranks right up there is kidding themselves. ESPN did a "top rivals" countdown in college sports and UT/A&M wasn't even in the top 15. (Texas/OU was, however, either 5th or 6th.)

Dook/NC is clearly #1 followed closely by Michigan/Ohio State.

Bellville22
02-10-2005, 01:51 PM
I think Duke/UNC is the most "intense" rivalry in college sports. Hard to call it the "biggest" since basketball is on a much smaller media scale than football. The biggest rivalry in my mind is Michigan/Ohio State.

But, IMHO, Duke/UNC is the best, and most intense rivalry in college sports. More body paint, screaming, and pure madness per person than anywhere in the world. When you talk about college football rankings, many games are mentioned....Mich/OSU, 3 Florida Schools, ND/USC, UT/OU, Oregon/Oregon State, Bama/Auburn, and so on, but when you talk about college basketball, UNC/Duke is the unquestionable winner. So in my opinion, I think it's definately the best in college sports. As Dicky V. would say, "It's the Dukies, it's the Heels, Durham, Chappel Hill, Tobacco Road, Cameron, the Crazies, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Coach K, ohhh Baby! It doesn't get any better!"

As far as all sports, nothing compares to Red Sox vs. Yankees. No where else do entire lives and generation upon generation of families center their lives around pure hate for another team. And where else has a team been cursed by another team for 86 years?

District303aPastPlayer
02-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Bellville22
As Dicky V. would say, "It's the Dukies, it's the Heels, Durham, Chappel Hill, Tobacco Road, Cameron, the Crazies, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Coach K, ohhh Baby! It doesn't get any better!"

is it bad that i could hear dick vitale sayin that in my head when i read those lines? what are the carolina faithful called?

TheDOCTORdre
02-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
is it bad that i could hear dick vitale sayin that in my head when i read those lines?
no its not that bad, what is bad is when you do something good in life and you can here about 5 or 6 sports announcers in your head giving their praise with their catch phrases.

District303aPastPlayer
02-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
no its not that bad, what is bad is when you do something good in life and you can here about 5 or 6 sports announcers in your head giving their praise with their catch phrases.

that would seem kind of weird...

back back back back gone....
he's a diaper dandy! A PTPer, a prime time poster babyyy!!!!