PDA

View Full Version : 02-08-05 HS Basketball Results!

PhiI C
02-09-2005, 12:16 AM
In a rematch of the district leaders tonight Aransas Pass beat Goliad in a close one 54 - 52 and they now tie for the district lead.
The AP girls also won.

I don't know how Sinton did against Mathis but hopefully someone will post it later.

AP Panther Fan
02-09-2005, 09:17 AM
It was a good game! My apologies for not posting last night, but dinner, homework, baths blah, blah, blah took priority.

Goliad really has a good team, they do however have a nasty little traveling habit that caused them some problems.

Aransas Pass will now have a non-district game this Friday against Orange Grove and finish up district competition next Tuesday in Mathis.

As we discussed yesterday, it will be interesting to see how the tie situation is played out (if we remain tied).:)

pirate4state
02-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
In a rematch of the district leaders tonight Aransas Pass beat Goliad in a close one 54 - 52 and they now tie for the district lead.
The AP girls also won.

I don't know how Sinton did against Mathis but hopefully someone will post it later. Girls: Mathis 89 Sinton 41 :eek: Boys: Mathis 79 Sinton 61

Phil C
02-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Girls: Mathis 89 Sinton 41 :eek: Boys: Mathis 79 Sinton 61

Thank you for the update pirate. Unfortunately our girls season is over but at least some of the softball players that play basketball can start softball practice now. Our boys still actually have an outside chance to get it into a three way tie for third if they beat Ingleside Friday. Mathis still has to play Goliad I think. Ironically Mathis has to hope Sinton beats Ingleside to have a better shot in the playoffs. It might be wise for Mathis to send some fans over to cheer for Sinton. Their fate could be in Sinton's hands now. If Ingleside wins they will have the third place spot unless Mathis wins against Goliad which could happen but Goliad will be favored. Mathis best chance is for Sinton to beat Ingleside.

Right now Aransas Pass is 7 - 1 and their district season is over but they have cinched at least a tie for first place and are in the playoffs for sure. Goliad is 6 - 1 but has a final game (Friday I think) in Mathis. Goliad is also in the playoffs for sure. Ingleside is 2 - 5 with a final game this Friday in Sinton. Sinton is 1 - 6 yet still may force a playoff tournament for the third spot. Mathis is 2 - 5 also. The final district games are Goliad vs Mathis in Mathis and Ingleside vs Sinton in Sinton. Aransas Pass is finished.

If Goliad wins then Goliad and Aransas Pass are tied for first place and will probably have a playoff game to determine who gets to represent the district as district champions (This would be a first round bye for the winner). Of course they may decide by a coin flip. If Goliad loses then Goliad is second and Aransas Pass is the district champion outright.

The problem is for third place. If Ingleside wins and Mathis wins then both tie for third place with 3 - 5 records and a playoff for the third spot would happen. If Mathis wins and Ingleside loses then Mathis wins the third place spot with a 3 - 5 record over Ingleside's record at 2 - 6. If Mathis loses and Ingleside loses then then Mathis, Sinton, and Ingleside are tied with 2 - 6 records and probably a three way tournament will decide the representative for third place. It is ironic but going into the last game of the season all five teams in the district have a shot at the third playoff spot if things happen right for each of them.

pirate44
02-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Thank you for the update pirate. Unfortunately our girls season is over but at least some of the softball players that play basketball can start softball practice now. Our boys still actually have an outside chance to get it into a three way tie for third if they beat Ingleside Friday. Mathis still has to play Goliad I think. Ironically Mathis has to hope Sinton beats Ingleside to have a better shot in the playoffs. It might be wise for Mathis to send some fans over to cheer for Sinton. Their fate could be in Sinton's hands now. If Ingleside wins they will have the third place spot unless Mathis wins against Goliad which could happen but Goliad will be favored. Mathis best chance is for Sinton to beat Ingleside.

Right now Aransas Pass is 7 - 1 and their district season is over but they have cinched at least a tie for first place and are in the playoffs for sure. Goliad is 6 - 1 but has a final game (Friday I think) in Mathis. Goliad is also in the playoffs for sure. Ingleside is 2 - 5 with a final game this Friday in Sinton. Sinton is 1 - 6 yet still may force a playoff tournament for the third spot. Mathis is 2 - 5 also. The final district games are Goliad vs Mathis in Mathis and Ingleside vs Sinton in Sinton. Aransas Pass is finished.

If Goliad wins then Goliad and Aransas Pass are tied for first place and will probably have a playoff game to determine who gets to represent the district as district champions (This would be a first round bye for the winner). Of course they may decide by a coin flip. If Goliad loses then Goliad is second and Aransas Pass is the district champion outright.

The problem is for third place. If Ingleside wins and Mathis wins then both tie for third place with 3 - 5 records and a playoff for the third spot would happen. If Mathis wins and Ingleside loses then Mathis wins the third place spot with a 3 - 5 record over Ingleside's record at 2 - 6. If Mathis loses and Ingleside loses then then Mathis, Sinton, and Ingleside are tied with 2 - 6 records and probably a three way tournament will decide the representative for third place. It is ironic but going into the last game of the season all five teams in the district have a shot at the third playoff spot if things happen right for each of them.
i know this may be off subject, but i am so against having 3 teams in the playoffs, especially when those teams have losing seasons. i love the Pirates, but i just cant see myself going to a playoff game featuring my team being a 3rd place playoff team. in my opinion it diminishes what the playoffs really mean.

AP Panther Fan
02-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks Phil....WOW, that is really confusing. I have a question though, my schedule still shows that Aransas Pass has a district game in Mathis next Tuesday the 15th???

AP Panther Fan
02-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i know this may be off subject, but i am so against having 3 teams in the playoffs, especially when those teams have losing seasons. i love the Pirates, but i just cant see myself going to a playoff game featuring my team being a 3rd place playoff team. in my opinion it diminishes what the playoffs really mean.

We faced this very situation in football ... where our fate for third depended on some very strange "so and so has got to beat so and so, by so many points".....

anyway, as you know, Goliad took 3rd and it was just as well.....we wouldn't have gone far in the playoffs.:(

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
did anyone read the letter to the editor in the san pat county news last week... about the girls basketball team?

Macarthur
02-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Iowa Park beat Graham last night and Breck beat Vernon. That really throws 5-3A into a quagmire.

AP Panther Fan
02-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
did anyone read the letter to the editor in the san pat county news last week... about the girls basketball team?

Aaron, do you know if they have an online version?

Phil C
02-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Thanks Phil....WOW, that is really confusing. I have a question though, my schedule still shows that Aransas Pass has a district game in Mathis next Tuesday the 15th???

You could be right and probably are. It is so difficult to get correct and current information on boy's basketball unlike football. The Corpus Christi Caller/Times just doesn't keep it updated even though it probably isn't completely their fault. Either way there are still possibilities left.

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Aaron, do you know if they have an online version?

no but i have the paper right here with me, let me post it as a post in this thread

AP Panther Fan
02-09-2005, 11:49 AM
no but i have the paper right here with me, let me post it as a post in this thread

Phil C said he would fax it to me, if you don't want to go to the trouble......:)

pirate4state
02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
did anyone read the letter to the editor in the san pat county news last week... about the girls basketball team? i did. talk about a "BURN!" :D

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 11:53 AM
im typing it up right now, it will be posted shortly

pirate44
02-09-2005, 11:56 AM
i did. talk about a "BURN!" :D
i wouldnt want my name signed to the bottom of that letter

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Dear Editor,
Has anyone noticed the state of the girl's basketball program lately? Does anyone realize that during the past few years we have had a losing program? Does anyone care?
I am a parent of a growing number of athletes that have defected the current program that AD Parsons/Coach Lopez has to offer. My daughter recently, reluctantly quit the junior varsity after being involved in organized basketball since the third grade. She has attended numerous summer basketball camps. Basketball not only is her passion, but i can honestly say she is probably one of the top players at our school(ask peers, opposing players, referees, and poll the school). With that said, i can offer you a legitimate inside perspective of our girl's basketball program.
First of all, baltant favoritism rules. There is a logical rule in the program that absences at practice equals decreased playing time. Decreased playing time for my daughter and the other disgruntled defectees was whole quarters at a time, while other absentees(favorites) was only minutes. My daughter, up until her decreased playing time, was averaging double digits per game. In two other games, she shot the game winning shot with time running out. The other girls that defected were also contributors.
Since the beginning of the season, the "coach" insisted on playing shorthanded(seven to eight players on varsity). She could have been carrying a team of ten to twelve girls because at the start of the season, there were enough bodies to have a full freshman, JV, and Varsity team. This would have allowed the girls to gain game experience and have courage in case of unexpected injuries and/or defections.
The coach has persistently told everyone in the program that she doesn't care if "she is not liked." She has told them on many occasions that "she doesn't care what anyone thinks." Why would one, especially a coach, want to alienate themselves from the team. The concept of a team begins and ends with unity.
Recently, major personnel changes were made. Freshmen were promoted to varsity after the "coach" stated last year that she didn't believe in freshman being on varsity. She told everyone that she need "height instead of skill." This is equivalent to saying you prefer to use a pen with no ink. I have no problem with freshman being promoted but not in such a contradictory manner. What kind of message is she sending to players that have been practicing hard since the first day of practice? Can you blame them if they feel insulted and humiliated?
I know you're probably thinking that this "sound off" is from another angry "bleacher mom." I would not have taken the time to write this if i didnt feel an injustice was being done not only to my daughter and the other defectors, but this involves the community as a wholle. Its embarrassing to lose, but it should be a felony to not try and win when the talent is available.
Thank You,
(The Parents name withheld)

pirate44
02-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Dear Editor,
Has anyone noticed the state of the girl's basketball program lately? Does anyone realize that during the past few years we have had a losing program? Does anyone care?
I am a parent of a growing number of athletes that have defected the current program that AD Parsons/Coach Lopez has to offer. My daughter recently, reluctantly quit the junior varsity after being involved in organized basketball since the third grade. She has attended numerous summer basketball camps. Basketball not only is her passion, but i can honestly say she is probably one of the top players at our school(ask peers, opposing players, referees, and poll the school). With that said, i can offer you a legitimate inside perspective of our girl's basketball program.
First of all, baltant favoritism rules. There is a logical rule in the program that absences at practice equals decreased playing time. Decreased playing time for my daughter and the other disgruntled defectees was whole quarters at a time, while other absentees(favorites) was only minutes. My daughter, up until her decreased playing time, was averaging double digits per game. In two other games, she shot the game winning shot with time running out. The other girls that defected were also contributors.
Since the beginning of the season, the "coach" insisted on playing shorthanded(seven to eight players on varsity). She could have been carrying a team of ten to twelve girls because at the start of the season, there were enough bodies to have a full freshman, JV, and Varsity team. This would have allowed the girls to gain game experience and have courage in case of unexpected injuries and/or defections.
The coach has persistently told everyone in the program that she doesn't care if "she is not liked." She has told them on many occasions that "she doesn't care what anyone thinks." Why would one, especially a coach, want to alienate themselves from the team. The concept of a team begins and ends with unity.
Recently, major personnel changes were made. Freshmen were promoted to varsity after the "coach" stated last year that she didn't believe in freshman being on varsity. She told everyone that she need "height instead of skill." This is equivalent to saying you prefer to use a pen with no ink. I have no problem with freshman being promoted but not in such a contradictory manner. What kind of message is she sending to players that have been practicing hard since the first day of practice? Can you blame them if they feel insulted and humiliated?
I know you're probably thinking that this "sound off" is from another angry "bleacher mom." I would not have taken the time to write this if i didnt feel an injustice was being done not only to my daughter and the other defectors, but this involves the community as a wholle. Its embarrassing to lose, but it should be a felony to not try and win when the talent is available.
Thank You,
(The Parents name withheld)
typing that shows your dedication to the dlow, but you are censoring what is already public knowledge. go ahead and add the name. what would it hurt?

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
i know her personally... so im not gonna do that...

pirate44
02-09-2005, 12:16 PM
i know her personally... so im not gonna do that...
fair enough. but she already made it public herself. im sure if she didnt want it public, she wouldnt have put it in the paper

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
fair enough. but she already made it public herself. im sure if she didnt want it public, she wouldnt have put it in the paper

thats very true... but in any event... about its content... WOW!

pirate44
02-09-2005, 12:19 PM
thats very true... but in any event... about its content... WOW!
agreed

LH Panther Mom
02-09-2005, 12:23 PM
If I didn't know better, I would think this was the same basketball coach I had in high school. :eek: :eek: I thought that certainly someone would've done her in by now. ;)

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 12:24 PM
agreed

i can see her point though... look at the record this year:
8-16 on the season
0-7 in district

Phil C
02-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Just remember that just in December this team won a tournament in Yorktown and was third in the Sinton tournament. Bad luck with injuries happened this year to several starters who got hurt and one of them had to leave for a week during district to cheerlead in the hula bowl. This team was hit this year with bad luck and injuries. Look at what happened to the Texas Men's basketball team lately. This was a team that barely lost to a top ranked team in Wake Forest and now is not the same team.

pirate44
02-09-2005, 12:28 PM
i can see her point though... look at the record this year:
8-16 on the season
0-7 in district
true or not, i think the powers that be would have enough pressure to do something about it. but it wasnt very couth to call the coach out like that in a small town newspaper.

and it doesnt do much for the author of the letter. true or not it makes her look like a crazy mom.

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If I didn't know better, I would think this was the same basketball coach I had in high school. :eek: :eek: I thought that certainly someone would've done her in by now. ;)

when i graduated just 4 years ago.... we had GREAT talent. The following year, great talent. Coach Walter Smith was at the helm. He did a great job with what we had here. We have 3 VERY talented players... and we cant pull out a double digit win season? you tell me whats wrong here. Its talent at the same level.... and they havent won a single district game... ill leave it at that...

District303aPastPlayer
02-09-2005, 12:48 PM
true or not, i think the powers that be would have enough pressure to do something about it. but it wasnt very couth to call the coach out like that in a small town newspaper.

and it doesnt do much for the author of the letter. true or not it makes her look like a crazy mom.

It needed to be brought to the attention of everyone. Our team was good... the talent level is there..

pirate44
02-09-2005, 12:54 PM
It needed to be brought to the attention of everyone. Our team was good... the talent level is there..
the people who dont know their record or situation probably dont care. like Phil C said, there are other circumstances that people who read this are not knowledgable of. maybe Phil C will write a rebuttle to the newspaper explaining this.

Phil C
02-09-2005, 02:57 PM
the people who dont know their record or situation probably dont care. like Phil C said, there are other circumstances that people who read this are not knowledgable of. maybe Phil C will write a rebuttle to the newspaper explaining this.

Thanks for the VOC Pirate but this is one thing I am going to leave alone. I am caught in the middle here because I am friends with both parents and coaches so I will stay neutral. I have heard that today's paper will have a rebuttle.

Phil C
02-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Regarding 30AAA girls basketball last night the Aransas Pass win over Goliad 50 to 43 was big in that it was for the third spot in the playoffs which goes to AP. Be sure to watch out in the next two years for Jess Morris of Goliad. She is only a sophomore but is great and scored 17 points for Goliad in the losing cause last night. Aransas Pass ends the year at 4 - 4 while Goliad is 3 - 5. Mathis is in second place with a 5 - 3 record. Ingleside girls win the district I think with an 8 - 0 record. The Sinton girls are last with a 0 - 8 record. :( Please remember that what happened to the Sinton girls is what happened to the Aransas Pass girls in volleyball.

pirate44
02-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the VOC Pirate but this is one thing I am going to leave alone. I am caught in the middle here because I am friends with both parents and coaches so I will stay neutral. I have heard that today's paper will have a rebuttle.
good. its hard for me to form an opinion being on the outside looking in.im sure she had good intentions, but my point is that she is making herself look bad by chosing that forum to voice her complaints. i hope things work out and Sinton gets back on top of things. everybody has fluke seasons, good or bad, every once on a while.

Phil C
02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
The Sinton ISD Superintendent responded in today's paper.

pirate44
02-09-2005, 04:46 PM
i'll pick up a paper as soon as i get home

Phil C
02-09-2005, 05:39 PM
The local paper has helped clear things up regarding 30 AAA boys basketball even though they say AP and Goliad are tied at 5 - 1 each which I think is wrong because I think they each only have one game to play looking at the math point of view.
I think they are actually both 7 - 1 and both play Mathis in Mathis their last game. Goliad plays Mathis this Friday and then Aransas Pass plays Mathis on Tuesday. Both games are in Mathis and Goliad's season ends this Friday in district play since they have a bye on Tueday and Aransas Pass has a bye this Friday and plays Goliad on Tuesday.
Sinton plays Ingleside this Friday and both Ingleside's and Sinton's season ends this Friday. If Sinton wins and Mathis loses to both Goliad and Aransas Pass then Sinton, Mathis and Ingleside are tied for the third playoff spot with 2 - 6 records. If Mathis wins against both Aransas Pass and Goliad then Mathis is in the playoffs regardless of what happens between Sinton and Ingleside. If Sinton wins and Mathis wins one game against Goliad or AP Mathis still makes the playoffs. If Ingleside wins then Mathis must win at least one game against either Goliad or Aransas Pass to be tied with Ingleside for the third playoff spot and a playoff game between the two will probably be used to determine the third spot which is what Sinton and Tafts did last year. Due to the byes Mathis has two games left to play instead of one like the other teams.
The key thing for Mathis is to beat either Goliad and Aransas Pass and that is not an easy task even though they have the home advantage which is big.
If Mathis upsets either Aransas Pass or Goliad then the district winner will be the team that beats Mathis. If Mathis upsets them both then it is still a tie for the district championship. Mathis has control of it's destiny and that is simply to beat both AP and Goliad but that will be as I said a most difficult task even with the home advantage.

pirate4state
02-09-2005, 05:39 PM
The Sinton ISD Superintendent responded in today's paper. :rolleyes: great can't wait to see what he has to say! :hand: good thing i'm not a fan of the basketball program. :D

Phil C
02-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Another factor in high school athletics is that kids that were great in several sports in junior high have to pick the one they like the best or are better at because of the academic pressures. It is hard for some to play more than one sports because of that reason.

OnceABuc
02-09-2005, 08:05 PM
BPhill? In years past, most of the top 10% graduating class at SHS have been multiple sport athletes (I hope that is continuing). "Participation" at the lower UIL levels (3A, 2A, 1A, etc) is one of the secrets of successful programs (look at the numbers in Sinton Football & Baseball as examples of this). I would hope that SHS athletes would continue to be multiple sport athletes because if they go the route of higher UIL level schools (where they have a lot more participants) and choose to "specialize" in one or two sports, I think you will see the beginning of the end of the great Sinton athletics you have seen over the years. All of this is just my opinion - of course!

PhiI C
02-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by OnceABuc
BPhill? In years past, most of the top 10% graduating class at SHS have been multiple sport athletes (I hope that is continuing). "Participation" at the lower UIL levels (3A, 2A, 1A, etc) is one of the secrets of successful programs (look at the numbers in Sinton Football & Baseball as examples of this). I would hope that SHS athletes would continue to be multiple sport athletes because if they go the route of higher UIL level schools (where they have a lot more participants) and choose to "specialize" in one or two sports, I think you will see the beginning of the end of the great Sinton athletics you have seen over the years. All of this is just my opinion - of course!

What I met Once (and I know I probably messed it up) is that there are some athletes that have to specialize because they can't keep up their grades if they go out for more than one sport. Of course these are probably rare but it does happen. If students can go out for multiple sports and keep up their grades the cheers are on me of course. Go Sinton!

District303aPastPlayer
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
i havent read the paper today.. but ive been told its a fun soap opera to keep up with . i have also informed people of this.

on a side note... i was told today, that at parents night, for some reason not relayed to me... or just because of the coaches choice... she didnt play one senior... which was a TOTAL SHOCk (no sarcasm) to me...

AP Panther Fan
02-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks Godfather for faxing both articles to me and thank you Aaron for taking the time to post the letter from the parent. I thought they were both extremely well-written letters.

While I do not agree with the way the parent handled her complaint (by putting it in the newspaper) I do believe her views were well-founded and will more than likely cause others to take a closer look at the program .... so she did accomplish something.

I was particularly impressed with the Superintendent's response when he gave the qualifications of being a coach and then went on to state that the only qualification needed to criticize that coach or a school program was a pencil and an opinion.

While there is no clear cut "he's right, she's wrong or vice versa" it will put the coach and the program under a microscope ... if there are problems, a big if.....someone else will recognize them as well and corrective measures will probably be taken.

Just my opinion, but it rings "all too familiar" to recent happenings in Aransas Pass.:(

pirate44
02-10-2005, 10:10 AM
i feel if he was backing the coach, he could have made a stronger argument. but then again, i guess he is trying not to make enemies in his position.

AP, did Phil C also fax you the photo of the baseball scoreboard? it was on the front page. i liked the other one better.:(

AP Panther Fan
02-10-2005, 10:21 AM
AP, did Phil C also fax you the photo of the baseball scoreboard? it was on the front page. i liked the other one better.:(

No, I haven't seen the scoreboard yet, but I am sure it is nice! It is amazing how much those things cost ... even the small ones! :eek:

District303aPastPlayer
02-10-2005, 11:11 AM
i like the new one. it sorta resembles the new one odem got when their new stadium was built.. but ours is nicer :D

pirate4state
02-10-2005, 11:40 AM
but then again, i guess he is trying not to make enemies in his position.

to late :p

District303aPastPlayer
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
to late :p

he did a while back..