PDA

View Full Version : Worthy National Champions in College Football

PhiI C
02-08-2005, 10:07 PM
The purpose of this thread is to get thoughts on college teams in college football that didn't win the national championships but MAY have been deserving. It is not to get in a debate on whether they were better than other teams or even better than the one that won it. Also remember that until the later 60s the national championship was awarded on the regular season which meant that a team that had a perfect record had a better shot than the team that may have lost a game but had a rougher schedule. This was even the case after bowl games started to count because many teams were locked in bowls and the best teams couldn't always meet. The BCS is better in that it tries to get the top two teams to play but even that isn't perfect. Of course a playoff system is needed but in history we just have work with what was in place. In fact it could even be that there were several teams in one year that were worthy. This is an opinion thread so feel free to state your thoughts. We all have different opinions so let's keep the discussion friendly.

Bullaholic
02-08-2005, 10:21 PM
My only thought on this, Phil, is that I wish I could have seen Utah play one of the "big" boys anytime, anywhere. I think it might have gotten very interesting for some of the "major" powers. I fell "in love" with their offense after watching them, and I think most of the top-ranked teams would have had their hands full trying to stop them.

big daddy russ
02-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Auburn Tigers 1993... 11-0

Auburn Tigers 2004... 13-0

PhiI C
02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I agree with both of you in your comments. Also I forgot to point out that unfortunately before the 70s as Darrell Royal pointed out and it was true that if Notre Dame or any Big Ten Team were undefeted and untied no one else had a chance at the National Championship. Even then there was a recognition although maybe vaugue to have a playoff system. Also it was unfortunate but a tie or loss eliminated you from the national champions in all but a few rare exceptions.

I am going to pick some SWC teams from the 1960s.

The 1961 Texas Longhorns were great with great defense and Jimmy Saxton at running back and Mike Cotton at quarterback. They whipped everyone easily during and even though they got upset by TCU who was playing above their heads that day plus Saxon was hurt the second half they were a great team. They beat #5 Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl 12 to 7 in a game more one sided than the score indicated. Texas lead 12 to 0 before Mississippi did have one drive for a td but the rest of the day Mississippi could not do anything on offense and had a frustrating day. Remember defenses basically ruled during the 60s.

1964 two teams Arkansas or Texas would have been worthy. Alabama was voted No. 1 but bowls didn't count. Texas beat Alabama and Joe Namath in the Orange Bowl 21 to 17. Arkansas should have claimed it since they beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl 10 to 7 and Texas during the season 14 to 13 as Texas scored late and went for the two point win but failed. My argument for Texas is that even though they lost to Arkansas their schedule was tougher and had more games to have to get up for. Arkansas had dropped Mississippi from its schedule and was playing teams like Wichita State. :) Texas beat Alabama and Joe Namath and ironically four Texas players were starters on the Jets team with Namath that won the famous Super Bowl game over Baltimore. They were John Elliott, defensive tackler, Joe Dixon, defensive halfback (he was the UT qb in 1964), Pete Lammons, tight end, and George Sauer Jr., wide receiver. I don't think any of the Arkansas players made it in the pros from that team which is a surprise.

1968 Texas was a team we will never really know how good they were. They started out bad losing to Texas Tech and tied Houston but after that they put James Street at qb and when they came from behind to beat Oklahoma in the last minute they were a changed team and at the end of the year I think they had the best team in the country. They were unable to play a top team in the cotton bowl and whipped Tennessee bad.

1969 Ohio State. Yes I know they got upset and put Arkansas vs Texas in the big shootout and opened it up for Joe Paterno and Penn State to whine but even though this team got ambushed by Michigan I still think to this day they would have beaten Texas or Penn State in any bowl game. They played a brutal schedule and just got ambushed. Not that Texas didn't deserve the national championship and of course I could be wrong about them being able to beat Texas even though I am sure they would have beat Penn State. :)

Of all the teams above I feel had they had playoffs that Texas in 1961 and Texas in 1968 would have won the national championship if there had been a playoff system like Division 2 has now. In fact I think the Texas Team of 1968 at the end of the year was the best team of the decade.