PDA

View Full Version : Steroid information:

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Go to www.taylorhooton.org and get some good facts on steroids, warnig signs, effects, etc. This site was started in honor of Tayor Hooton, their son who committed suicide while on steroids. Take a look......read the story of Taylor Hooton, "read more", under his picture on the left side. Truly a horrible, sad and tragic, true story.

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 11:27 AM
ttt

AP Panther Fan
02-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks Ya Ya. Very good website, I printed a portion to take home and discuss with my son.

I think what amazes me is this portion:

A school district like Plano, which has built a $15 million stadium and indoor practice facilities for its three high school football teams, could surely afford drug testing, Don Hooton said.
But school district officials say they cannot afford to test students for drugs. "We've all said drug testing is good," Cliff Odenwald, athletic director for the Plano district, said. "At this point, with the financial situation we're in, we can't do that."
School officials said that the football facilities were built through bond issues approved by voters and that money for drug testing would have to come out of an annual district budget that is stretched to the limit. This year, the district sent $130 million, or 32 percent of its budget, to the state for use by less affluent school districts, officials said, and next year Plano faces a $15 million budget cut.

You know, it seems that SOMEONE should be able to make it a priority and come up with a solution! Aransas Pass is a "poor" district and a receiver of funds, but still manages to budget for testing. I will certainly be checking to see if steroids are among the items being tested for. :(

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Glad you are going to discuss with your son...you are a good parent. Taylor's parents seemed to be good parents, too. I saw them on the Jane Pauley Show today and thought their story was worth mentioning on here, in light of what we have been posting. It's a tragic situation. They said they saw their bright child turn into a depressed, out of control kid....doing things totally out of character. What is scarey is that they thought since he was always at the gym working out, that he really was into being healthy.....not knowing it was just the addiciton to the steroids driving him to be like that. Apparently the warnng signs are hard to see. I was aghast to hear that one of his coaches had told him he needed to get bigger. The pressure to be the best and to please.... Sad indeed.

big daddy russ
02-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Four percent of high school seniors said in 2002 that had used steroids, according to a survey by the University of Michigan. Other surveys indicate that 3 percent to 11 percent of high school students said they had used steroids... As many as 3 percent of eighth graders said they had used steroids, according to the Michigan survey. Found this on that website. I'd be willing to bet that you could look at just about any given HS football team in the state and be looking at anywhere from two to ten players who had used steroids at some point.

BTW, YaYa, great website.

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 02:57 PM
ttt ( don't want this info to get lost)

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
ttt