PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood, Monahans AD/HC Positions

justlikesports
02-08-2005, 07:50 AM
What is the latest in Greenwood? Any time table about when someone might be named to the position. Newspaper here in Monahans says the district is taking applications until the 11th, then will conduct interviews. The rumor mill is running rampant. Heard that the district is not releasing the names of the applicants. Still no front runner for the job. Here is what is being said. Reliable source says Cherry is definitely not coming; that a couple of men on the present staff have applied; Doege won't leave Crane (but I also heard that people in Crane have said that they think he is leaving there to come to Monahans); and that Owens is still in the picture. Of course it is all rumor. The saga continues!

one&gone
02-08-2005, 10:56 AM
HEAR THAT JONES IS THE MAN.

vet93
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
It should be interesting. Could cause a dominoe effect of west texas coaches changing jobs if these two places take current west texas coaches.

lobo12
02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
has purser or hanna applied for the other ones job. that would make things interesting. also if you are talking about jones from kermit that would make absolutely no sense. hanna was released for not winning, and then for them to go out and hire a coach that has never beat hanna would be a stupid move in my opinion, i still think that owens from ballinger would be the best man for the job, sorry vet

vet93
02-08-2005, 02:30 PM
I understand your logic lobo, but I don't think that you can compare Monahans and Kermit in an apples to apples fashion. Kermit's enrollment was around half the enrollment of Monahans....therefore, Hanna was playing with a considerbly bigger stick than Jones. I am not trying to say that the high enrollment team will always win but if all other things are even....enrollment does make a difference. If you take your logic.....Coach Owens has never beaten, Purser or Sandifer at Ballinger.....does that make him a worse coach.....Maybe....but not necessarily. I think that Coach Owens is a great coach and if the talent level is even....I would take his team more often than not. Coach Jones could also be thought of in that manner.

Originally posted by lobo12
has purser or hanna applied for the other ones job. that would make things interesting. also if you are talking about jones from kermit that would make absolutely no sense. hanna was released for not winning, and then for them to go out and hire a coach that has never beat hanna would be a stupid move in my opinion, i still think that owens from ballinger would be the best man for the job, sorry vet

lobo12
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
thats a great point i never really thought about it that way. thanks for the different perspective. i still dont think you can get rid of a proven coach like hanna with a state ring and deep playoff appearances and replace him with jones, who hasnt really done a whole lot at kermit, and dont get me wrong i played against them and i know for a fact that he is a good coach, but kermit did have talent the past couple of years. looking at it in that way, hanna beat pecos and other schools with bigger enrollments, look at borger and snyder....i understand what your saying, but do you kinda get what i am saying??? jones is a great coach i just dont think you can get rid of hanna who is a proven winner and bring him in...make any sense?

vet93
02-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I am with you Lobo....I was just playing the devils advocate! Some people could use similar logic and say that how could they replace Coach Hanna with a Ballinger coach that went 3-7 last year. Now, what they don't know is that Ballinger lost virtually every starter from the previous year's playoff team and played a tough predistrict schedule. I am actually doing all of this just to talk you out of taking Coach Owens;) Also, I know that Coach Jones is a pretty good coach in his own right....he did quite well at Ballinger and had favorable records against coaches Sandifer and Purser. He took a Ballinger team to the quarterfinals and was about 6 inches away from making the semi-finals.

Originally posted by lobo12
thats a great point i never really thought about it that way. thanks for the different perspective. i still dont think you can get rid of a proven coach like hanna with a state ring and deep playoff appearances and replace him with jones, who hasnt really done a whole lot at kermit, and dont get me wrong i played against them and i know for a fact that he is a good coach, but kermit did have talent the past couple of years. looking at it in that way, hanna beat pecos and other schools with bigger enrollments, look at borger and snyder....i understand what your saying, but do you kinda get what i am saying??? jones is a great coach i just dont think you can get rid of hanna who is a proven winner and bring him in...make any sense?

GreenMonster
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I was under the impression that the Monahans Program was a very strong program all around. If so, then why in the world would you ditch your AD? Other coaches see this too and many top notch coaches may not even apply simply because the small town politics that appear to be involved in this job coming open.

lobo12
02-08-2005, 08:36 PM
exactly green monster, exactly

fball_gal310
02-09-2005, 12:04 AM
I agree with ya Green Monster...the politics in this town is horrible! The school board won't even release the names of the applicants and that is ILLEGAL...so who knows what is going to happen here. I just wish this would end for the athletes' sake.

Wtx_coach
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
I wish it would end too, Monahans made a bad mistake by getting rid of Coach Hanna, bit on the other hand, if they land Coach Owens or Coach Roark they would get a hell of of a coach. Vet this might make you more relaxed but I dont know for sure, I hear that Coach Owens did not apply after all due to one of good buddies Mitchell applying for the job, could be just a rumor, on the other hand I hear he is in the running for the Greenwood job.

lobo12
02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
i heard the same thing about him being a front runner for the gwood job