PDA

View Full Version : La Grange folks...

Crow22
02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
With Valastro in the running for the East Chambers job, what can you tell me about the kids that are there at LG? What were the underclassmen like? Any info is appreciated....

La Grange
02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
In my mind I personaly think that La Grange will be down agian next year. Going into the off-season the Leps had roughly 16 soon to be seniors...now they have maybe 6. La Grange did so poorly this year because they had a small athletic senior class with talent, but no one to fill in the open holes.

Next year I don't know...there might be 22 underclassmen starting. Next years junior class is big in size and numbers, hopefully they can turn around a once proud program. This year was hard on the town, the players, and the coaches. If Coach V. does leave I am sure the School Board will hire another equally qualified or better coach.

Hey and there is always baseball and softball...LG seems to always have that.

lepfan
02-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
I am sure the School Board will hire another equally qualified or better coach.

I agree T! :D

ILS1
02-07-2005, 10:29 PM
This is an outsiders view on this situation. I don't understand why he would wanna leave 3A La Grange for 2A Winnie. Sure,they may be down this year but I believe they still have talent there. The talent will be there and not only in football. He is the AD as well,right? They won State in baseball last year. They girls softball team is very salty as well. Plus,he won a State Football title in 2000. It just doesn't add up. BTW,I'm not saying Winnie is a bad job. I just think La Grange has more to offer.

:)

Old Tiger
02-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I don't understand why he would wanna leave 3A La Grange for 2A Winnie.
:) Winnie, lol

cdlvj
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
In my mind I personaly think that La Grange will be down agian next year. Going into the off-season the Leps had roughly 16 soon to be seniors...now they have maybe 6. La Grange did so poorly this year because they had a small athletic senior class with talent, but no one to fill in the open holes.

Next year I don't know...there might be 22 underclassmen starting. Next years junior class is big in size and numbers, hopefully they can turn around a once proud program. This year was hard on the town, the players, and the coaches. If Coach V. does leave I am sure the School Board will hire another equally qualified or better coach.

Hey and there is always baseball and softball...LG seems to always have that.

What do you mean 16 to 6 seniors?

Much of the poor season should also be blamed on the coaching staff. I think they did a horrible job.

Crow22
02-08-2005, 11:24 AM
What about the years where they won the State Championship? Did they do a horrible job then?

Coaches don't FORGET how to coach.

No wonder Tony's looking to get out.....fickle fans.

Remember, we just coach'em.....we DON'T breed'em....

chugbug
02-08-2005, 11:29 AM
A wise old Coach once told me " It isn't the x's and the o's it's the Jimmy and the Joes." I am postitve that Coach Valastro has not forgotten how to coach. LaGrange fans have always been like that. They have more excuses than Carter has liver pills.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :hairpunk: :hairpunk: :hairpunk:

cdlvj
02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
The better coaches adjust to the talent pool that they are dealt with, and are at least competitive. La Grange was not competitve at all last year.

Coach V. has been looking since the state season, and IMHO it does make a difference.

Crow22
02-08-2005, 11:43 AM
cdlvj..........I think you did a crappy job this year at your job.

La Grange
02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
The fans from La Grange are very fickle. But can you blame them? They have had outstanding seasons for the past upteen years and then now they had a 2-8 season. I am not justifying their actions, but I can see were they are coming from.

Coach V. has been looking to leave since 2001, and that was after two state championships. His daughter is a graduating this year and he probably thinks this is a nice time to leave.

The talent pool in LG is way down and with the sceems we have it just isn't going to happen. IF Coach V. leaves I am sure everyone is going to say what a good job he has done and just forget about this last season.

During the season there were a few seniors who quit because they were not acustomed to losing. Now during a hellish millateristic offseason, that I won't describe on the board, pretty much all of the soon to be seniors have quit. Mainly kids who mad an impact on the team have quit. There are promising soon to be juniors and sophmores...but we will see.

lepfan
02-08-2005, 07:06 PM

During the season there were a few seniors who quit because they were not acustomed to losing. Now during a hellish millateristic offseason, that I won't describe on the board, pretty much all of the soon to be seniors have quit. Mainly kids who mad an impact on the team have quit. There are promising soon to be juniors and sophmores...but we will see.

From what I have heard several want to come back, but will not do so unless there is a change in leadership (if that is what you would call what is going on now).

Like you said he has been trying to go for some time now...it seems he is setting his sights a little lower now...it used to be the larger schools he was looking at...now it is 2A. But then that beach house is in the area he is showing interest in. If he does leave...good luck to him or THEM (both will need it). I wish I could be there to tell him goodbye:rolleyes:

Haunta Yo
02-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't know anything about the situation, except for what I've read, but this is crazy.

Offseason is hellish so they quit. What school out there doesn’t have a hellish offseason? If those kids quit during offseason, I know how they lost 8 games this year.

Let's make offseason funner and we'll just ask some of those 8 teams that beat us last year to feel sorry for us...Wrong !!!! Get after it as HELLISHLY as possible. At least that tells me the coaches didn’t like losing 8. They’re trying to fix the problem by being extremely demanding.

Ain't no one gonna feel sorry for LaGrange. What are you gonna do, ask Cameron not to be so hellish on 4th and goal???? Better yet, tell Cameron if they don’t ease up, LaGrange is gonna quit and leave before the game is over.

I'd be excited for all the kids that haven't quit. That's who I'd build the team around. If a new coach does come in, I hope he lets those guys that quit back in! Trying to win with quitters doesn't happen. It'll just be losses and excuses.

If a senior won’t lead, then an underclassman will eventually step up. Don’t beg a senior for anything.

lepfan
02-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
I don't know anything about the situation, except for what I've read, but this is crazy.

Offseason is hellish so they quit. What school out there doesn’t have a hellish offseason? If those kids quit during offseason, I know how they lost 8 games this year.

Let's make offseason funner and we'll just ask some of those 8 teams that beat us last year to feel sorry for us...Wrong !!!! Get after it as HELLISHLY as possible. At least that tells me the coaches didn’t like losing 8. They’re trying to fix the problem by being extremely demanding.

Ain't no one gonna feel sorry for LaGrange. What are you gonna do, ask Cameron not to be so hellish on 4th and goal???? Better yet, tell Cameron if they don’t ease up, LaGrange is gonna quit and leave before the game is over.

I'd be excited for all the kids that haven't quit. That's who I'd build the team around. If a new coach does come in, I hope he lets those guys that quit back in! Trying to win with quitters doesn't happen. It'll just be losses and excuses.

If a senior won’t lead, then an underclassman will eventually step up. Don’t beg a senior for anything.

I really don't think anyone wants pity. None is needed. You are quick to critisize but really need to become informed of all the "situations". It might surprise you! :)

La Grange
02-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo

... Offseason is hellish so they quit. What school out there doesn’t have a hellish offseason? If those kids quit during offseason, I know how they lost 8 games this year.

Let's make offseason funner and we'll just ask some of those 8 teams that beat us last year to feel sorry for us...Wrong !!!! Get after it as HELLISHLY as possible. At least that tells me the coaches didn’t like losing 8. They’re trying to fix the problem by being extremely demanding...

I am not saying that these young men quit just because of the offseason. Most are just tierd of playing...or playing for someone. In La Grange there is a lot of pressure on athletes, and these young men have had enough. All have went agianst parents will and have quit. I am not on either side in this situation, but I can see certain aspects of both sides that make sense.

I agree with you 100% about how offseason should be hard after a losing season. I just feel that you need to give them some reason to play for and a 2-8, 1-9, or 0-10 season is not a nice thing to look forward to.

cdlvj
02-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Got the same situation in Basketball, bunch did not play this year. Does the AD hire the sports coaches?

Old Cardinal
02-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I can see any Coach wanting to go to Winnie. There is a lot of harmony and good folks in that town. Winnie is growing-- it's right on I-10 and is fairly close to the beach. I think that Coaches today are starting to seek out towns that are not stagnate and are growing at a healthy clip. Good luck to the new Coach at Winnie(East Chambers); he will be surrounded by a very encouraging and positive group of townfolk.

chugbug
02-09-2005, 09:46 AM
I cannot believe what I am reading. La Grange use to have a lot of pride. Now the players are quitting because they are not use to losing? They are quitting because offseason is hellish? This does not sound like the La Grange that I Know. I am losing so I just think that I will take my marbles and go home. How childish. The team is better off without these people anyway. You need people who want to win and who are willing to pay the price. Now stop crying and get to work.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Pudlugger
02-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by chugbug
I cannot believe what I am reading. La Grange use to have a lot of pride. Now the players are quitting because they are not use to losing? They are quitting because offseason is hellish? This does not sound like the La Grange that I Know. I am losing so I just think that I will take my marbles and go home. How childish. The team is better off without these people anyway. You need people who want to win and who are willing to pay the price. Now stop crying and get to work.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Amen! It was tough for everyone to go 2-8 last year but for all those seniors who quit is a very sad thing. Look at what Cameron did going 1-9 in 2003 and coming back to go 12-2. The kids who quit have made a big mistake but as a parent of a player I understand the temptation to do so is always there. The difference between quitting and hanging in to overcome an adversity is the difference between a success and failure. That is true in sports and in life. I loved the theme of the movie Seabiscuit. A small horse that despite the odds never would quit and went on to become a champion. I would like to see the same spiriit in the kids at La Grange who have to step up now and fill some big shoes as many fine athletes and young men have put on the pads in LG.

As for Coach V, I have only to say that the town owes you a lot for what you have accomplished in the past eleven years. You built a tremendous program, took the team to two State Championships winning one and just missing another. The Leps went to the playoffs 5 years straight from 1999-2003 with a 16-4 playoff record and 57-13 overall for that period. Sure the Leps went 2-8 last year and lost some games they very well might have won if things had gone just a litle more their way. So what? Blame the Coach? Blame the players? No I think not. Sometimes you just lose no matter what you do. It just comes with the game...ask the Eagles if you doubt me.

I certainly wish Coach V and the others the best of luck and if they go to Winnie that program will rise to the level of a state contender in a few seasons. So good luck in your new position and thanks for the great memories Coach.

alias
02-20-2005, 07:30 PM
when i heard that so many people were quiting athletics, i was ashamed. i played for coach valastro and the people who were trying to find the easy way out because they werent winning is such crap. he is out there to put the best possible team together, and the kids were complaining that he was too hard. well kids, if that was too hard, i hope you open your eyes soon because it only gets worse. sooner or later mommy wont be around to complain to the school board because coach v was being mean to her little son. coach v was one of the best things to happen to la grange athletics. he instilled disipline into the program. so i hope that now that all these one time quitters that are now getting back in the program take time to look at the back of the three little words on the back of your shirt...disipline, desire, dedication...those words are coach valastro. he is going to be missed greatly in la grange and it will be hard to find a better man to replace him. east chambers is getting a great coach and i think they will be at the top very soon.

lepfan
02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Those 3 words----- DESIRE, DISCIPLINE, DEDICATION----- are what kept many from quitting for years. (some went deep to find that--while others came by it easy) Because of the circumstances many were bull headed enough to live those words. If I must say something nice there it is....:)

DISCLAIMER: No trashing intended...if you must take it that way I owe no apologies.

La Grange
02-21-2005, 11:13 PM
La Grange is still going to field a team next year...it might not be a championship quality team, but those players who stuck with it through the good and the bad will have discipline, desire, and dedication. Coach V. did wonders for our program and our community and I think everyone is greatly pleased with his accomplishments, BUT he was also in a situation where you either loved him or hated him. I am quite certain that even the anti-tonys were happy with all of the wins and championships.

I hope some people don't think that the town of La Grange forced Coach Vallastro to leave due to one off year. Coach V. holds his family very dear and coaching at East Chambers, where he and his wife are from, is a dream come true for him. He grew upa nd played football at High Island and his wife was from Beaumont. I am sure that there is no one in La Grange that wishes him not to do well in his new endevor.

scotty
02-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Someone told me that he talent pool in La Grange was running a bit low and it goes all the way back to the sixth and seventh grades. If that is the case, whoever takes over as head coach and Ad won't have an easy road ahead.
All schools go through lulls like this Schulenburg, Sealy and Columbus are examples.
The first coach who inherits such a situation usually has rough sledding and many times doesn't have enough time to turn it around.
It will be interesting to see what will happen in La Grange.
Valastro did a great job in La Grange and the 2003 team was an example. You could already see that there wasn't as much talent as it had been during the previous years, yet he and his staff took the Leopards well into the playoffs and held a great Marlin team to only four first downs in their final playoff game.