PDA

View Full Version : Talk About Different Times

Phil C
02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Doak Walker the great football player at Detroit from 1950 to 1955 was a great back for the Lions along with his teammate Bobby Layne the great qb. He was elected to the hall of fame even though many thought he would never made it because of his relatively short NFL career. While with the Lions they made the championship game four times and won two of them. The players then didn't make the money they make now and many players had to work during the off season from January to the middle of July (the NFL season was over for most in early December except for the NFL championship game about the middle of December). He retired early because he got a job working in Colorado and liked Colorado and was actually making more money by staying with that job than if he had kept playing for the Lions!! :eek:

Bandera YaYa
02-07-2005, 02:39 PM
That's for sure.....now we have grossly over paid players who delight in shaking their a$$ in the faces of those who pay to watch him play! :mad:

Phil C
02-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
That's for sure.....now we have grossly over paid players who delight in shaking their a$$ in the faces of those who pay to watch him play! :mad:

And now some of them (this include basketball and baseball players) won't even sign an autograph for a fan or kid unless they have $30 or more for it. I remember reading about a kid wanting an autograph from a baseball player and the player told him if he didn't have $30 he wouldn't get an autograph. I wish the kid had said he only had 30 cents and that was all the autograph was really worth lol. Me if I had been there and had $30 to spare I would have paid for it and notified the IRS to be alert to it for unreported income. :D

But how unlike Elvis Presley who once was going to a concert and his chauffeur (spelling?) thought he wanted to avoid the crowd turned down and went there a back way to avoid the fans. Elvis told him (and this according to the Chauffeu) to never do that again because he said it is because of those people that we get to live good like we do and must never disappoint them like that again.

Cameronbystander
02-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I used to work with a guy that grew up with Don Maynard in West Texas. In the off season Don was a plumber. He said that learning the weekly playbook was an extremely demanding job and he wanted something simple to do in the off season. With plumbing you only had to remember two things:

1) Pipe don't stretch!

2) Crap don't run uphill!

Bandera YaYa
02-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Cameronbystander
I used to work with a guy that grew up with Don Maynard in West Texas. In the off season Don was a plumber. He said that learning the weekly playbook was an extremely demanding job and he wanted something simple to do in the off season. With plumbing you only had to remember two things:

1) Pipe don't stretch!

2) Crap don't run uphill! hahahahahaha..... :clap:

Bullaholic
02-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Phil......We had Norm Bulaich as a guest at our Lions Club afew month's back. He played for Baltimore during the late 70's and early 80's. He said that most modern pro football players are "prima donnas" who care only about the money and nothing for the team. Said it wasn't all like that in the NFL during his years. Really good guy and great speaker with lots of NFL stories. I'll name drop a little while I'm at it, too---Norm and I were in the same fraternity pledge class at TCU in 66'. Good to see him again after all those years.

Old Dog
02-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Man, I remember Norm, he was rather fleet of foot was he not?

Bullaholic
02-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Man, I remember Norm, he was rather fleet of foot was he not?

Yes he was, Old Dog. Norm looked to be still in great shape when he was up here.