PDA

View Full Version : Post Super Bowl Views

Bullaholic
02-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Pretty good defensive game showcasing 2 great defensive units. Philly needs to learn a lot more about clock management under 2 mins. McNabb would be a lot better QB if he threw more accurately under pressure and didn't overthrow open receivers. I got no complaints on T.O.'s game behavior--he did the job without running his mouth that much. I think Westbrook is as good of an all-purpose back as Marshall Faulk. Glad Freddie Mitchell was held to 1 catch late in the game---justice was served. Deion Branch caught everything that was thrown his way and had a great game for the Pats. Light ate Kearse's "lunch" all day in their matchup on the line. The 2 young Pat safeties did a good overall job in a big pressure game. I still don't understand why they left them alone in coverage on some plays. Teddy Bruschi is as good of a linebacker as there is in the NFL right now---fast, smart, and very motivated. I'm happy for Corey Dillion--he's got a place in the sun, finally, and he's played his heart out during the playoffs--and it showed.

No question in my mind that the Pats and Belichick deserve the title "dynasty" right now---they are the best in the NFL.

The commercials this year were "o.k.", but not as good as in some years past.

The halftime show by Paul McCartney was something that everyone could enjoy.

FOX was very wise in using the "patriotic" theme all during the pre-game. I thought the patriotic pieces were well done, and certainly deserving. Just goes to show that there are still more good, family-oriented, and patriotic Americans out there than most of the entertainment world wants to acknowledge. I hope this example will be picked up by other networks.

Phil C
02-07-2005, 11:10 AM
The final score New England 24 Philadelphia 21. Hindsite is always more accurate but I wonder if the Eagles should have boomed the kickoff down the field. If the defense had held them they would have probably been in a better position to throw bombs to the end zone. As it was once the Patriots had that good field position on the kickoff the game was basically won.
Also one wonders if a 100% T.O. would have been a big enough factor. I know he played but still after a month's layoff you are still rusty no matter how good you look. Maybe Dallas won the game for the Patriots when they injured T.O. (on a clean legal play I might add).

Phil C
02-07-2005, 11:19 AM
New England has the dynasty but Jaws inplies as a putdown to the Cowboys as usual that because of salary caps and free agency it is all more remarkable. Time for discention here with Jaws. The Cowboys won two super bowls under Jimmy Johnson and it was total domination. If you don't believe me just look at the scores of those games. Right away when the salary cap came into play other teams began to grab their free agents. In other words if you can't beat them get their free agents. The other teams also grabbed their assistant coaches (New England is starting to experience that). It also didn't help that Irwin, Aidman and Smith (and later Dion) got most of the money - not that you can't blame them and they were worth it but it cost Dallas some great players such as Grogan and Russell Maryland and Ken Norton Jr. to just name three. Still with these loses the Cowboys still had enough talent for one more super bowl win by 10 points before the dynasty ended. One wonders if there had been no free agency and salary caps if Dallas would have won more super bowls. Of course losing Jimmy Johnson because of a silly drink snub was foolish.
New England on the other hand if you check has had three very close super bowl wins. Hence other teams were not as alarmed as they are now because they just barely won their games so teams haven't been after their free agents as much. Of course now they have started after their assistant coaches and the players are next. Brady makes much less than Manning so look for him to want more of the pie. Hey rings are nice but once you get them you want to have the money for financial security. Not that $5M a year ain't bad but more is better. It is starting. Patriot may win another super bowl this decade but look for other teams to do some invasion. It used to be you had to look to the draft or shrewd trades to get what you needed to catch up with the winning team. Now you can invade the other teams talent thanks to free agency and salary cap. The NFL hates dynasties and when one comes they try to end it.

Keith7
02-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I think T.O.'s comeback was one of the most couragous things i've ever seen

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
I think T.O.'s comeback was one of the most couragous things i've ever seen

come on keith. the day he broke it they said he would be back for the super bowl if they made it that far. couragous goes to Kellen Winslow and Willis Reed.

TheDOCTORdre
02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Courageous - Curt Schilling

Keith7
02-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Just seven weeks ago, Owens broke his leg and tore a critical ligament in his right ankle. He needed surgery and his surgeon wouldn't clear him to play against the Patriots. The medical world thought he was crazy. Owens fooled them all by playing 62 of 72 offensive snaps and catching nine passes for 122 yards.

It might have been the most courageous performance in Super Bowl history.

tigers05
02-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Everyone is calling TO courageous because he had a good game, would we not all be calling him an idiot if he would have suffered a career ending injury because he thinks he knows more than his doctor? He took a risk and it paid off, that's it. If he would have suffered a career ending injury people would think him to be almost as big of a moron as Freddie Mitchell.

TheDOCTORdre
02-07-2005, 12:19 PM
T.O. took a risk and thats what life is all about. After the game he made a valid point about if Brett Farve would have done the same thing the media would be making him out to be a warrior, while some columnist were calling T.O. selfish

Bullaholic
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Just seven weeks ago, Owens broke his leg and tore a critical ligament in his right ankle. He needed surgery and his surgeon wouldn't clear him to play against the Patriots. The medical world thought he was crazy. Owens fooled them all by playing 62 of 72 offensive snaps and catching nine passes for 122 yards.

It might have been the most courageous performance in Super Bowl history.

"Gutsy", maybe Keith---courageous?, no. My respect for T.O. went up some because of his willingness to play injured, and his game performance. I don't think it was in the courageous category like when Emmitt Smith carried the ball 7 or 8 times during a game winning drive for Dallas when he had a shoulder injury.

tigers05
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
i would call neither a warrior or courageous for ignoring what the doctor, remember he is the one with the medical degree, said. I mean, it may be the super bowl, but it's one game. If he would have suffered that injury, there goes those millions of dollars he's making. In my opinion, ONE GAME, is not worth it, super bowl or not.

AggieJohn
02-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I have beef with the whole dynasty thing. the Pats have won all three super bowls by a combined score of 9, does that not strike anyone as just lucky

TheDOCTORdre
02-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
I have beef with the whole dynasty thing. the Pats have won all three super bowls by a combined score of 9, does that not strike anyone as just lucky
Dont worry, I have me a thread in the works coming about this so called "dynasty"

tigers05
02-07-2005, 12:37 PM
does anyone know how many the pats are losin to free agency?

Bellville22
02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

The key word in that statement is "won", which is also the only word that matters. You play to win Superbowls. The Patriots have won 3 of the past 4. If they win next year's SB by 1 point, they'll probably be regarded as the best team ever.

Bandera YaYa
02-07-2005, 02:05 PM
This was only a football game.....I, for one, will reserve the term " courageous" for those fighting on the enemy line.....

Phil C
02-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
This was only a football game.....I, for one, will reserve the term " courageous" for those fighting on the enemy line.....

Good Point there Bandera!:clap:

tigers05
02-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa

very well put

spiveyrat
02-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by tigers05
Everyone is calling TO courageous because he had a good game, would we not all be calling him an idiot if he would have suffered a career ending injury because he thinks he knows more than his doctor? He took a risk and it paid off, that's it. If he would have suffered a career ending injury people would think him to be almost as big of a moron as Freddie Mitchell.

I agree. In this case, there is a fine line between gutsy and foolish. (And I say gutsy because I don't think it was "courageous")

Keith7
02-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm sure if bret farve or peyton manning did the same thing everybody would be talking about how couragous those guys are.. but when TO goes out with a career threatning injury to play in the biggest game of his life, he is considered an idiot?? come on guys be fair

Bulldog_12
02-07-2005, 06:48 PM
He talked about that last night in his post-game interview. He said that "If Farve would have done this, everyone would be hailing him a hero. But since it is T.O., it was a selfish decision." I agree with this. I think for him to come out and play the way he did was not in the LEAST bit selfish. But that is just my 2 cents.

PhiI C
02-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I remember years ago in the last game of the NBA championship that Willie Reed of the Knicks had hurt his leg and it wasn't certain he would even play or not against the Lakers. He did play and did well enough so that the Knicks won the game and the championship. He sparked the team and the crowd. He was held as being very corageous and inspiring. However when one looks back he could have been hurt bad in that game and perhaps have suffered a career injury but no one remarked on that.