PDA

View Full Version : Bandera not even ranked? HAHA!!!

bulldawg89
06-23-2003, 10:35 AM
As i was looking over Daves Mag, i realised that Bandera(the Div. II state champions) were not even ranked! HAHAHAHA!!! And to hear them say they can beat Burnet! I just think its funny that teams that lost in the first round are ranked above them.Anyway post comments.

Phil C
06-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey Bulldog it just goes to show that Dave's mag isn't always right on doesn't it? :)

Matthew328
06-23-2003, 11:27 AM
I think statewide consensus was that Bandera wouldn't be ranked....it was no surprise to anyone...they lost everyone...

hornsfootball
06-23-2003, 01:12 PM
I found it hard to believe as well that bandera was not ranked in the top 25. Bellville on the other hand was not ranked last year as well and finished 13-2 and look at Fairfield. Bandera did lose ALOT of starters

BULLDOGFAN
06-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Being unranked has it's benefit's. Last year Bandera wasn't picked to win a single playoff game, yet we won all of them. Being an underdog is an awsome feeling when you then go out and win.

As far as Bandera goes.... New coaches, new players, and a change of times. I think for the next couple of years you will see a rebuilding program going on. We have a few good returners coming back, but nothing of the caliber of last years team. Their will be a lot of empty spots to fill.

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Well, Bulldawg89....laugh all you want to. WE may not be ranked by DC...this year or last, but we got a State Championship trophey sitting in our case at school and each of our players are sporting a hell of a ring (bling bling)........
Do you? So, who got the last laugh?????????

And on a side note, there were no better fans of Burnet, than Bandera. We cheered for you all thoughout the playoffs. I think what was said was that we were not at full strength when we played you, and if we had been, it would have been a better game, and yes we MIGHT have won.
But we didn't and it really didn't matter, now did it? WELL, DID It????????????????????????

And a note to all you other Bandera bashers....he started this, not me!! :D :D :D

....89? That explains your lack of maturity and grace.....grow up!

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

espn1
06-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Bandera fans have always been considerate and I was glad you guys are sporting you're rings. But I have to call things as I see them. Burnet could have easily scored 60 points on you guys. But I know how you feel when your team isn't firing on all eight. If Burnet would have gone into their State Game healthy it for sure could have been a different story. That's just football.

PPHSfan
06-23-2003, 08:32 PM
I would only point out that those are the 2003 pre-season rankings, not the 2002 end of season rankings. Bandera graduated about 80 percent of their starters, AND the Head Coach is gone. Looks to me like this year is a whole new ballgame. Of course I am probably wrong, just ask Old Card. :D

<small>[ June 23, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I agree with you, injuries are just a part of the game. It is always a factor for sure!! But they did not beat us by 60 points when we played them. I was at that game, were you? Anyway it didn't matter in the end. But I will say again, we all were cheering loudly for Burnet to go all the way!! We were sure they would do it, and were totally suprised that we did it! It's like someone said on another thread here...sometimes there comes along a group of guys that are just destined for greatness. We had alot of talent, not the best out there, but it was just meant to be, plain and simple. You had to live it to understand what I mean.

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2003, 08:38 PM
I cannot disagree with what you said , PPHSfan, we did lose the majority of our championship team. But that's change and life. Many of them are going on to play in college and I am so happy that they will be going, knowing what they accomplished, onto another phase of their lives. They were such a rare group of young men...I'm sure we have not heard the last of them!

Ya Ya!!

espn1
06-23-2003, 08:57 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention in my last post. Why would you say Ha Ha? They might be saying that about Burnet next year. Try to sport Green, and not Yellow.

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I would never say "HAHAHA" to anyone. That was just plain rude.

BULLDOGFAN
06-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Last year was a magical year for bandera. So many huge moment's went into that unbelievable season. Bandera, as a town, came together like no other year.

We were never believed in, even by the Coaches because we had no stars as the years before. But the parent's of these men never doubted for a second their abilities. And they never let us down.

When we came into Burnets district we were not prepared for the step up in quality players. They were incredible. We totaly respected their prgram and fan base after that and rooted for them every chance we could.

And then State came. For 2 teams from the same district to win both Div. 1 and Div. 2 would have been incredible. 9 parents hauled butt down tio the dome after our win against Bellville to watch Burnet play.

No one was in more shock then us. Everman was the team for the night. Burnet should have played better but the injuries had taken their toll.

THis year is theirs, for sure.

Old Tiger
06-23-2003, 11:09 PM
The could end up being a suprising team.

BigChamp05
06-23-2003, 11:33 PM
To Bulldog89, your an idiot. I played on last years state championship team. And the team that won the championship and the team that lost to Burnet were two totally different teams. We had players injured and out of postion when we played ya'll. Ya'll had some hellacious players, and damn good athletes, but if we had the team we had at the end of the season (when we won the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP), it would have been a darn good game. And if i can recall right, weren't we tied at half. I thought that it was a pretty close game, no matter what the score was.

BigChamp05
06-23-2003, 11:34 PM
And as my fellow Bandera followers said, we have the ring and the trophy! And bragging rights come included.

espn1
06-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Once Again, no disrespect but the game wasn't even close at halftime. Burnet struggled on the last possession of the game to keep it at 49. Like I said earlier, the score could have easily been 60.
Burnet had 35 at halftime.

BigChamp05
06-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Actually, it was like 21-14. And we could have easily been up bye that same score, but we had a stupid penalty called and we had to punt (with no punter because he was injured) and gave Burnet good field postion. And in the second half, Burnet had a few big plays that broke it open.

BigChamp05
06-24-2003, 12:08 AM
And Burnet struggled the last possesion to keep it at 49? Well even if they scored, it wouldn't have been sixty. But thats good math anyway.

espn1
06-24-2003, 01:45 AM
I wasn't trying to challenge your math skills you idiot. I said Burnet could have scored 60+. If you were there you would know that.

<small>[ June 24, 2003, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
06-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Oh he was there ESPN.

For the record:

Burnet scored with 12 seconds left in the second quarter making it a 20-14 game. Bandera was in scoring position until two penalties in a row forced a turnover giving up bad field position. The second half was a disastor. Penalties, injuries, and bad field position had our day.

The biggest mistake was trying to play a 5'8" defensive halfback on Shipley. Other then McGee passing for 313 yards, it was a fairly even game.

Phil C
06-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Other than Rice being able to score 14 runs on Stanford last night in the college world series game last night it was a close game.

espn1
06-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Shipley, was in double and triple coverage all night. I have a clip, I will dig up of him scoring in triple coverage.

Phil C
06-24-2003, 09:17 AM
I can understand Bandera losing a few games during the season because of key injuries because it can make a difference. You can lose an All State half back but if you have a good back on the bench who can come in and do a good job for you is great but at the same time if you lose a good defensive lineman and don't have a good one to replace him that can be a big thorn. And if it is the wrong player it can make a big difference. A little history lesson. In 1963 pro football season Pittsburgh beat the Giants 31 to 0 early in the year but the Giants star QB Y.A. Tittle was out with an injury. They met again in the last game of the year with the Eastern Division Championship on the line. Y.A. Tittle was healthy. One of the Pittsburgh linemen when asked if the QB would make a difference said "He doesn't play defense. We scored 31 points on them." Well with Tittle playing it made a 47 point difference as the Giants won 34 to 17. And this is with the pros so how much so with high school and college. Yes one key injury can make a difference. So I can understand where Bandera is coming from.

Bandera YaYa
06-24-2003, 10:04 AM
Hey espn....BigChamp05 was on the playing field, WERE YOU?? Enough of you guys who coach from the stands...thinking you know FOR SURE how things would have turned out. We are just saying that if the team that won State had played you, it would have been a different game than what it was. Not saying who would have won, but it would have been different. We were at full strength and we were hanging tough. You of all people should know that injuries can totally affect a team and a game. (your game against Everman?) But that's football. So enough about how you COULD have scored 60+ on us. I dont'care what you think, you weren't down on the field playing. Anything can happen, something we learned well last season.

Again, Good Luck to Burnet next season. I hope their dreams come true.

Bandera YaYa
06-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Also, thanks Phil C for understanding what we are saying and for your maturity. Only a jerk would say "HAHA" to someone who won State. Go figure.

PS: I do not judge the rest of Burnet by this one person. I know the rest of ya'll are a class act.

espn1
06-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize I was posting to children.

Bandera YaYa
06-24-2003, 01:27 PM
espn, what is your problem?????????

BigChamp05
06-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Espn, i was on the field, i had a sack and a couple of tackles. But apparently not enough. But hey, we lost, could have been different, but wasn't. I think it would have been fun to play again at the end of the season. Who knows what would have happened. But don't talk about what you don't know. Everybody who watched the game sees one thing, but those who play see something totally different. Burnet overwhelmed us. End of story. But we got better, and won a state championship. AHHHHHH, a state championship, nothing like it.

bulldawg89
06-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Bandera Yaya, i would like to apologize for posting a rude write up...I guess Just because yall lost against us (Burnet) and arent ranked, i shoold have been nice, and congrat yall on the mighty D2 championship... So I am sorry...

PS Hell Just Froze Over...

Also we still got the bragging rights since we beat yall by a pretty good amount; Oh yea, so does Liberty Hill :D

Bandera YaYa
06-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Again, I say Good Luck to Burnet next season!!

espn1
06-24-2003, 04:56 PM
There's no problem with me I'm merely talking football. When Burnet wins or loses a game I call it like I see it. I'm not here to make enemies and wish Bandera all the best. But I also can't stand sugar coating things either. I've played and watched football for thirty plus years. I know it and follow it. If you need season tickets let me know? The deadlines almost up. Don't be upset with me because I tell the truth. I'M HAPPY YOU WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP! Don't try to tell me the difference in the game was a 5'8" man covering Shipley. You know he was in double coverage most of the night and somtimes tripled. He scored on triple coverage. Go back and review the film. Why are you in denial about Burnet scoring at will. These posts are nothing personal, just business. Why are you offended by the truth?

BULLDAWGS707
06-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Okay, I was on the field that night. And I must say... Bandera played one heck of a game. The players and team, as a whole, came out fired up ready to win. I was proud of both teams. And yes, Bandera's Defense did a pretty good job holding Burnet's offense. There was an injury during the game... can't remember who though. Bandera's fans were very classy and very nice to the Burnet fans. I'm not sure if I can say the same back, since I was on the field and elsewhere. Bandera came back completely fired up... but Burnet came back with the fire and desire to win and kill. Bandera and the team, you have my respect and honor. I am proud of all you guys did this season. Good Luck Next year... I will be routing for y'all!!! :)

BULLDAWGS707
06-25-2003, 10:17 PM
and also... just something I forgot to add... I am ashamed of Burnet right now. I thought there was more class within the community. Bandera NOT being ranked is not FUNNY at all... it makes them want to show all other teams they DESERVE to be number 1!!!

espn1
06-25-2003, 10:59 PM
Can't pull a fast one on you, you figured it out. Burnet as a whole drafted a resolution and gave permission for that post. That was the Mayor of Burnet, that posted that. Hang your head in shame. What a pin head!

BULLDAWGS707
06-25-2003, 11:07 PM
espn1, is that directed toward me: "Can't pull a fast one on you, you figured it out. Burnet as a whole drafted a resolution and gave permission for that post. That was the Mayor of Burnet, that posted that. Hang your head in shame. What a pin head!"

Do I need to be the one "hanging" my head in shame?

Orisis
06-25-2003, 11:27 PM
BULLDAWGS707:

Do I need to be the one "hanging" my head in shame?Only if you were in the band that night.

MARLINFAN
06-26-2003, 12:24 AM
well i know i will here about this but i give bandera all the respect they got the job done. but i really feel that bandera could not beat marlin. WHY BECAUSE BANDERA WAS A POWER RUNNING TEAM. MARLIN D COMPLETY SHUT DOWN THE RUN AS LAGRANGE. i talked to bandera fans the day they played their state game and fans their self said they did not want to play us because it was too much speed. i know u are about ready to go wild on me but listen. i think the winner out of the marlin bellvile game should have won state. why bellville didt beat bandera was this. after they beat us they felt like they could be stopped. so they slacked off feeling like it was going to be a walkthroug. the week before when we played bellville we were in the locker room in marlin watching film. a lot of people felt like we couldt lose. it seem like it was a fairy tale. we were beating everone by and avg of 14 points in the playoffs. we felt that since bellville barely beat fairfield ,we were going to blow them out like lagrange. really we praticed harder for lagrange than we did for burnet. so since we beat lagrange we thought it was going to be a cake walk into the state game but it wasnt. i think that if we had the chance to play bellville over we would have praticed harder. i remember when we were loading buses to leave marlin and we heard bandera was leading yoakum i think 24-7 in the early fourth quater we were already scouting bandera talking about what they got. i know some people on this board will not agree with this but this is what really happened. pratice makes perfect and we along with the rest of the town got bigheaded. but it was our mistake. people was saying that it would be a falls county day at the waco isd. rosebud-lott about 12 miles down the road playing for the 2a state championship. and marlin playing for the 3a championship. and if you really think about it if we had won that bellville game would our lost classmate be living now. because insted of going to the pre game party at rosebud lott that friday night he would have been at the pre game party in marlin. think about it,how stuff works out in strange ways.

Jimbotex40
06-26-2003, 01:19 AM
did Y.A. Tittle go to LSU?

BULLDOGFAN
06-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the comments Bulldawg707, we have no problem with ESPN1 and his comments, there are people in Bandera that I wish lived elsewhere also. Your analogies of the game are pretty accurate though. The Bandera people, even though we lost, had a heck of a TIME in Burnet and you guys should be commended for your hospitalities and your athletic abilities.

I will say this, if we had kept the lineup we had against Burnet for the entire season, we most likely would have had started Basketball and Soccer season a lot sooner.

As to MarlinFan, we fully expected to have played you in that one game and were shocked that you guys lost. I beleive we caught Bellville on an off week as well as Yoakem, but the rest of the games were full solid ball games.

The one thing about Bandera and it's efforts, was after we beat La Vernia we really just hit it on all cylinders. People were in their right positions, the play's went our way and we became very methodical about our attitude and time of possesion. We never felt like we were out of control in any game. The defense believed in the offense and the Offense vice versa. They were each others biggest cheerleaders and it was addictive. I mean when Greenwood ran their opening handoff 90 yards for a touchdown, most teams would have panicked. Instead, the boys shrugged, the offensive high fived the defense and we went on with the game. The maturity level was incredible.

As to Bandera being a running team, each game in the finals was won by a different element of our team including the defense. We never won the same way each week and never considered ourselves a running team.

Bandera YaYa
06-26-2003, 09:49 AM
Yep, thinking that you are unbeatable is a certain death. Maybe that's why we kept winning....no one thought we would win another game, but on we went. :) I do not think any ill of Burnet, at all...espn is just talking to hear himself spew...Burnet is a great community and team. We always wished them luck, we wanted nothing more in the world, at that time, for both of us to take State home.

ANYWAY, good luck to Burnet this next season!!

(How did I know you would respond to this one, BUILLDOGFAN!! wink )

<small>[ June 26, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
06-26-2003, 10:00 AM
OH yeah....I have been meaning to tell you, Bulldawg89, that you can bragg all you want, you can get Liberty Hill with you and both of you can bragg till the sun don't shine....have at it, go for it, whoop it up...come on, I can't hear you .....meanwhile we'll quietly shine up our little trophey and put our rings in their cases each night...HAVE FUN!!

(Translation: there is NOTHING you can say or do or imply or call us or shout to the world that can diminish what we did or what we have to show for it...NOTHING, you can't reverse history and we did make history that day. So, you can be a small person and keep digging away at us or you can be a big person and forget it. We do not want "well wishes" from anyone that doesn't truly mean it. So if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. You cannot hurt us, but you can make yourself look foolish.)