PDA

View Full Version : Canseco desperite for attention??

Keith7
02-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I thought this was interesting, and somewhat short of believable.. but I was curious what you guys thought about it.. this story was posted on http://www.espn.com

---------------------------------------------

After months of talking about naming names in a tell-all book, retired slugger Jose Canseco is about to do just that.

The New York Daily News published details of the former slugger's book, which is still in the editing stages, in Sunday's editions.

Canseco writes that he personally injected Mark McGwire with the drug and that he saw McGwire and Jason Giambi inject each other, according to the paper.

McGwire, who has long denied steroid use, said in a statement to the paper: "I have always told the truth and I am saddened that I continue to face this line of questioning. With regard to this book, I am reserving comment until I have the chance to review its contents myself."

Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, took issue with Canseco's credibility.

"This book, which attacks baseball and many of its players, was written to make a quick buck by a guy desperate for attention, who has appeared on more police blotters then lineup cards in recent years, has no runs, no hits and is all errors," Tellem told the Daily News.

Canseco writes that President Bush "had to have been aware" of rampant steroid use on the Texas Rangers when he owned the club in the early 1990s, the Daily News reported.

Canseco also claims he introduced the performance enhancers to Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez, and Juan Gonzalez when he joined the Rangers in 1992.

The White House had no comment on Canseco's specific allegation, but did say the President called on leagues and players unions to eradicate steroid use in his 2004 State of the Union address.

The book is due in bookstores Feb. 21.

big daddy russ
02-07-2005, 12:07 PM
You know, I think he's telling the truth but he's still a piece of work. I won't buy the book or read it. All the "juicy" stuff will be shared with the world on ESPN.

pirate44
02-07-2005, 12:09 PM
it just seems to me those guys didnt "bulk up" until long after he played with those guys. i may be wrong:thinking:

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You know, I think he's telling the truth but he's still a piece of work. I won't buy the book or read it. All the "juicy" stuff will be shared with the world on ESPN.

That's right. I'll just wait to hear it too.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
i think its totally believable! Im glad to hear people like Canseco speak out. Sure is entertaining.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
it just seems to me those guys didnt "bulk up" until long after he played with those guys. i may be wrong:thinking:

when using steroids, its not an overnight miracle. It takes months and months of hard physical training in order to se the effects of the drug.

pirate44
02-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i think its totally believable! Im glad to hear people like Canseco speak out. Sure is entertaining.
i agree its believable, i just think Canseco may be making up details as to sell books. i just think of the fact he sold (or is selling) one of his world series rings (yankees). not to mention a few other easy money making schemes

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
i dont doubt hes doing this to make money. But why cant people make money telling the truth? Does everyone have to lie in order to make money?

pirate44
02-07-2005, 02:38 PM
i dont doubt hes doing this to make money. But why cant people make money telling the truth? Does everyone have to lie in order to make money?
not at all. he may be telling the gosh honest truth. it just seems to me that the guys he's mentioning didnt bulk up until long after he played with them. like i mentioned before, i may be wrong on that one.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
also be aware that there are 100's of different kind of steroids and not all result in highly increased muscle mass. They can get much stronger but still not grow that much.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:59 PM
i dont want this to sound like im totally supporting Jose Canseco...if hes lying then one day he'll be judged, if hes telling the truth, then good for him. The sad part is....we will never know the truth because if these guys didnt do it then they will deny it. If they did do it, then they will deny it

pirate44
02-07-2005, 03:01 PM
also be aware that there are 100's of different kind of steroids and not all result in highly increased muscle mass. They can get much stronger but still not grow that much.
very true.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 03:03 PM
wouldnt a polygraph machine be fun in a major league clubhouse?

pirate44
02-07-2005, 03:04 PM
wouldnt a polygraph machine be fun in a major league clubhouse?
only if they would sell tickets and conduct the tests at major stadiums throughout the country. id buy season tickets.

Old Tiger
02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
I think he is desperate for $$$

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 07:52 PM
once again...i dont doubt that he is desperate for money but does that automatically mean that he is lying?

GreenMonster
02-07-2005, 08:19 PM

I disagree with this statement. I have a degree in kinesiology (the study of human movements) and my studies tell me that is not possible. To gain tremendous amounts of strength a muscle MUST grow or add bulk. Besides, steroids alone do not make you bigger, work must be put in to get bigger. Steroids allow your muscles to recover more quickly. Normally to bulk up athletes lift very very heavy weight not more than 2 times a week and use few repetitions. The high weight forces the body to stress itself to the maximum and it takes the body 2 to 3 days to fully recover. If you work a particular muscle really hard before it is fully recovered you are not going to get the results you desire because the lactic acid build up in the muscle will actually tear down any gains faster than the gains are being made. This is where steroids come into play. Steroids help the body flush the acids out of the system at a higher rate than what is natural. Thus allowing the athlete to work his muscles at a tremendous intensity day after day shortening the amount of time it takes to get stronger/bigger. Your view here goes entirely and completely against human physilogy.

P.S. Everyone laughed at Canseco the last time he pointed fingers and lo and behold a year later the dudes he was pointing at found themselves in the middle of the BALCO trial. I think maybe we should listen to him this time. He was right the first time. I believe he is more motivated by his anger at baseball than by money. The dude is a handful of HR's away from 500 and was once considered the greatest player in the game and no-one is willing to give him a chance to reach that plateau. In his mind 500 HR's equals automatic induction into the Hall of Fame. He thinks that MLB as a whole is conspiring to keep him out of the Hall of Fame. Poor guy is too dumb to realize that he just physically cannot perform at Major League levels.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Besides, steroids alone do not make you bigger, work must be put in to get bigger.

my point exactly...just because someone is taking the steroids doesn't automatically mean the person is going to get bigger. They do have to work at it. On the other hand, an individual CAN get stronger without showing signs of steroid use (size). Strength can come before obvious growth due to drug use.

dont throw out this I got a degree in this BS to try to discredit someone.

big daddy russ
02-07-2005, 09:05 PM
i dont want this to sound like im totally supporting Jose Canseco...if hes lying then one day he'll be judged, if hes telling the truth, then good for him. The sad part is....we will never know the truth because if these guys didnt do it then they will deny it. If they did do it, then they will deny it I agree with you 100%, he's telling the truth. I have no doubts about that. McGwire was a rager and there are tons of journalists out there who can attest to it. But like Keith said, Canseco's desperate for attention and for money. He was THE GUY back in the day... before Griffey Jr., before A-Rod, and he's a me-first character. I hate selfish people in general, and it extends to athletes. I'd only support Canseco if he was actually doing this for the good of the game or to help out his former teammates, not just trying to help out Jose.

GreenMonster
02-07-2005, 09:46 PM

dont throw out this I got a degree in this BS to try to discredit someone.

I'm not trying to discredit you I'm just saying that I disagree and my education backs me up. I also agree that it is possible to gain some strength without adding obvious bulk but it is impossible to gain tremendous amounts of strength without the bulk that comes with that strength. Besides, can you point out someone on the roids that wasn't trying to bulk up? That is the point of steroids. Bigger = Stronger and Faster.

big daddy russ
02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
You know, I believe just about everything Canseco's said. This article was the icing on the cake. Read about halfway down. They quote Dave Stewart as saying, "...one thing I can't say about him is he's a liar." This is coming from a guy who said there was no love lost between himself and Canseco after Stewart went to the Blue Jays.

America in general doesn't want to believe it because these are their heroes, but I believe with everything in me that it's true.

Palmeiro, McGwire deny rumors (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1986479)

GreenMonster
02-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I believe with everything in me that it's true.

Palmeiro, McGwire deny rumors (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1986479)

i think you hit the nail on the head Big Daddy.