PDA

View Full Version : From PI to the Super Bowl

footballgal
02-06-2005, 03:02 AM
http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/CastilloJuan020605.jpg
NFL Photos
Philiadelphia Eagles offensive line coach Juan Castillo talks with his linemen during a 2002 game.

From PI to the Super Bowl
Juan Castillo takes unique path to Jacksonville

By MIGUEL A. CASTRO
The Brownsville Herald

BROWNSVILLE — Juan Castillo’s determination and success was built on the back of a hard-working migrant mother pressed to support him and his two sisters after his father died when he was in the sixth grade.

Those were values the housekeeper from Mexico didn’t teach, but rather demonstrated through working 50-plus hour weeks.

Castillo, a Rio Grande Valley native and offensive line coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, has passed them on to his team, which will face the New England Patriots at 5:30 p.m. today in Super Bowl XXXIX in Jacksonville, Fla.

"That’s why I have the opportunity I have, because of the things (my mother) showed me as a child," said Castillo, a 1977 graduate of Port Isabel High School. "To be able to do anything, you have to believe in yourself first, and then you make your plan on how you’re going to get there. When I watched her survive, I realized anything is possible."

Castillo, 45, is in his 10th season with the Eagles and seventh as the team’s offensive line coach. He is one of four Hispanic coaches in the NFL.

His dream of reaching the professional level began more than 28 years ago at Port Isabel High School when he was an outside linebacker for the Tarpons.

Like many young athletes, Castillo aspired to make it big — to one day play in the NFL. Yet to many, the dream seemed far-fetched.

"He would be picked on and made fun of," said Handell Woods, an all-state running back who played and was best friends with Castillo at Port Isabel. "He would get punched in the face in the school locker room, but his mother taught him never to fight. Juan would never fight, because he knew it would disappoint his mom."

Instead, he fought back in the arena he knew best — the football field.

During his four years with Port Isabel, Castillo received sophomore of the year and all-state honors as the Tarpons won two district titles and made one appearance in the regional round of the playoffs.

And despite the droves of students and players that have crossed his path, Castillo’s actions on the field weren’t forgotten and details are as vivid as yesterday’s news.

"One of the games I remember he stood out in was (in 1976) when Port Isabel played Lyford in Lyford," said Gualberto Gonzalez, who has announced Port Isabel football games for the last 27 years. "They were the team to beat that year, and (Castillo) single-handedly stopped Lyford with his three interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns."

Gonzalez added that while Castillo was full of heart and desire, his 6-foot-1, 185-pound frame prevented him from signing with a Division I school.

Still, Castillo wasn’t deterred and went on to play college football, joining Texas A&I University, now known as Texas A&M University-Kingsville.

He didn’t leave the school empty-handed either as the Javelinas won an NAIA national championship his senior year.

Following his years in Kingsville, Castillo took his skills to the USFL, where he played for the San Antonio Gunslingers.

His dream of one day playing in the NFL then changed gears when he realized he wanted to become something more challenging than being a player — a coach.

"I don’t have to be fast and big to coach in the NFL," Castillo said. "It’s a different deal. I was not big enough to play as a player, but as a coach all I had to do was work hard and do whatever I had to do to get an opportunity to coach in the NFL."

Having played at a small university like A&I, Castillo knew he didn’t have the kind of connections to become an NFL coach.

To help him get to the professional level, he traveled across the nation, sometimes sleeping in his car, just to get an opportunity to learn from coaches at the collegiate and professional levels.

Among them was Tony Wise, who at the time was the offensive line coach for the Dallas Cowboys.

"I used to take two weeks just to travel to meet some coaches," Castillo said. "I did this every year for four or five straight years to get knowledge. I would visit, learn and study from them. It was because of this that I was able to get better."

Castillo’s newfound wisdom led him back to his alma mater in Kingsville, where he helped five linemen develop into Division II All-Americans.

Four of them (Jermane Mayberry, Jorge Diaz, Kevin Dogins, and Earl Dotson) went on to play in the NFL.

"He’ll do anything to help you out," said Mayberry, now a guard/tackle with the Eagles. "He’ll go over things with you, spend extra time with you and do whatever he needs to help you succeed."

Castillo’s mastery at A&M–Kingsville didn’t go unnoticed as then Eagles head coach Ray Rhodes offered him a job as an offensive assistant. Castillo accepted, joining Philadelphia on March 1, 1995.

"It was a great feeling," said Castillo, one of four members of Rhodes’ staff to be retained by current head coach Andy Reid in 1999.

"The position I got was the bottom position. I was a helper," Castillo added. "I wasn’t making a lot of money, so (my wife and I) had to sacrifice. But, I knew it was an opportunity."

Three years later, Castillo was promoted to offensive line coach and has since created a unit so strong in the last four seasons that it has laid the foundation for a high-powered offense, led by Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb.

In 2003, Philadelphia averaged 4.8 yards per carry, the fourth best in the league. A year earlier, Castillo’s crew was the first Eagles squad in 20 years to give up the least amount of sacks (36).

Because of the feat, Mayberry and left tackle Tra Thomas started on offense for the NFC squad in the 2003 Pro Bowl.

"Juan is a hard working man," said Thomas, one of three Eagles linemen to receive their first Pro Bowl selections under Castillo’s direction. "He expects us to work hard and he pushes us. As a coach, he’s made us the best that we can be as a line. I think he’s the top offensive line coach in the league right now."

Castillo hopes to prove that today as the Eagles were 7-point underdogs through Friday.

And carrying him through what might seem like four long quarters of grueling action will be the one thing that got him to where he is at now.

"I believe in what my mom taught," Castillo said. "I had a plan and no matter what happened, I stayed on track. It’s possible for anybody. You just have to believe in yourself. Sometimes, all you need is hope."

As far as his future plans are concerned, Castillo has only one in mind — "to win the Super Bowl," he said.

“That’s all I’m worried about. Everything else will take care of itself.”

http://www.valleystar.com/sports_more.php?id=56654_0_12_0_C

sinton66
02-06-2005, 09:23 AM
I wish him well . Just shows what a little determination can accomplish. Thanks for the article, footballgal.

44INAROW
02-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Nice article footballgal. :clap:

footballgal
02-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks! Look out for him in the sidelines, I have seen him a few times there.
:) Grew up in my hubby's neighborhood where they played street football. Hubby's says he was a great guy, very humble and determined.

footballgal
02-06-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=5542&Section=Sports

footballgal
02-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Hard work pays off for PI’s Castillo
February 04,2005
Wade Baker
The Monitor

Juan Castillo hasn’t forgotten where he came from.

The 45-year-old offensive line coach for the Super Bowl-bound Philadelphia Eagles graduated from Port Isabel High School during the mid 1970s, played linebacker for Texas A&M-Kingsville, played in the United States Football League for the San Antonio Gunslingers, coached at Kingsville High School, coached at A&M-Kingsville and then the break of his life landed into his lap.

That offer, however, didn’t come without years of sacrifice.

"I may coach the offensive line in the NFL, but it didn’t come easy," Castillo said. "That’s what I want everyone in the (Rio Grande) Valley to know, that nothing comes easy. I’m just as Mexican as they are. Just because you’re Hispanic and you don’t fit the mold of the average football player, the average coach in the NFL, doesn’t mean you can’t do it. You have to push yourself to the limit.

"When you hit that limit, do a little extra. That’s what it takes."

That work ethic, without a doubt, is what has driven Castillo to where he is today.

When former A&M-Kingsville football coach Ron Harms promoted Castillo to offensive line coach after he had been roaming the sidelines as an assistant at Kingsville High School, Castillo became obsessed with finding out who the best offensive line coaches were throughout the country. Once Castillo created his list, he then made a trip once a year where he further educated himself on becoming one the best offensive line coaches in the country.

"We were limited in the trips we could go on since we were Division II," Castillo said. "We were allowed one trip per year to go to seminars, coaching clinics or whatever we needed to better prepare ourselves. I’d study up and find the best line coaches around."

Castillo would then have Harms purchase the plane ticket, and he would spend his Spring Break traveling from football field to football field, scouting the best line coaches on his list. With limited funds, A&M-Kingsville coaches were only given three to four days on the road, but Castillo planned his trip around the Spring Break week, extending his travel time to two weeks.

"I’d take all the money they gave me, fly into a place, get a rental car and that would be my home, my office and my bed for the next two weeks," Castillo said. "I traveled from Michigan, to Notre Dame, to see the Chicago Bears, out to Buffalo. I did this every year for about five or six years. That’s how I thought you got better — by seeing how the best did it.

"After the coaches kept seeing me come by year after year, they started inviting me to stay at their house instead of sleeping in the car. I honestly believe that’s how I got my foot in the door. Either that, or they got tired of seeing me.":D

And that’s exactly how Castillo made it to the NFL.

Castillo’s work on the offensive line at A&M-Kingsville began producing NFL talent (Jorge Diaz, Earl Dotson, Jermane Mayberry, Kevin Dogins), and that opened the eyes of coaches around the league. Castillo also completed three summer internships with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills (1992), Seattle Seahawks (1993) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1994).

Castillo finally received the break he had been hoping for when then Philadelphia Eagles coach Ray Rhodes offered him a job as offensive assistant March 1, 1995. He was later promoted to tight ends coach in 1997, and the former PI standout earned his current position with the Eagles in 1998.

"He’s a workaholic," said C.J. Cavazos, a Valley high school football coach who has completed two NFL internships with the Arizona Cardinals and the Cleveland Browns. "I’d love to follow in his footsteps, because Juan Castillo is a guy that gets it done. I don’t know if I would spend a week or two sleeping in a car, but that just shows how dedicated he is.

"Juan Castillo’s dedication is why he’s a coach in the NFL."

That dedication is why Castillo, the son of two immigrant parents, is one of four Hispanic coaches in the NFL.

"Some people think I’m crazy because I’m working all the time," said Castillo, who is married and has four sons. "But that’s just how I am. Knowledge is everything to me. I mean, I started from the bottom and worked my way up. My parents came across (the border) when they were 15. I lost my dad at age 6. My mom worked two jobs just to support us, but we got through it.

"I’m ready for the Super Bowl. We’re underdogs, but I’ve been fighting that battle all my life."