PDA

View Full Version : Who should be allowed to play football?

Old Cardinal
02-05-2005, 09:50 PM
It always amazes me the difference in school policy on what qualifies a youth to play sports. I know of schools that have never kept a Jr Hi and older football player of the team because of poor academics. The kids know they can goof off with no consequences for poor classroom performance. Even gross personal actions cannot disqualify a kid from sports.
On the other hand other schools hold a strict academic standard on all athletes including football players of all ages and ability. There are schools in trouble with-- No Child Left Behind Act--that points out that their academics are not acceptable; yet they NEVER disqualify ANY athlete from playing football. TAKS test prove many are deeply deficient!
There ought to be a more level playing field between various HS schools and it should be an awarded honor to be able to step on a playing field. Academically deficient and gross troublemakers should not be playing sports-- but instead hitting the books....Any comments??

Bandera YaYa
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
It always amazes me the difference in school policy on what qualifies a youth to play sports. I know of schools that have never kept a Jr Hi and older football player of the team because of poor academics. The kids know they can goof off with no consequences for poor classroom performance. Even gross pesonal actions cannot disqualify a kid from sports.
On the other hand other schools hold a strict academic standard on all athletes including football players of all ages and ability. There are schools in trouble with-- No Child Left Behind Act--that points out that their academics is not acceptable; yet they NEVER disqualify ANY athlete from playing football. TAKS test prove many are deeply deficient!
There ought to be a more level playing field between various HS schools and it should be an awarded honor to be able to step on a playing field. Academically deficient and gross troublemakers should not be playing sports-- but instead hitting the books....Any comments??
My thoughts on this is that if coaches want someone on their team, they will play on the team.......and too many are led to believe that sports is EVERYTHING.....and then after they graduate, they all too often find out it wasn't.

LH Panther Mom
02-05-2005, 11:16 PM
I am a firm believer in No Pass, No Play. Our school enforces this at every grade level for extracurricular activities, not just athletics. In addition, the policy is enforced regarding behavior. A student in ISS on game day is not allowed to suit up that week. :clap: :clap:

44INAROW
02-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I am a firm believer in No Pass, No Play. Our school enforces this at every grade level for extracurricular activities, not just athletics. In addition, the policy is enforced regarding behavior. A student in ISS on game day is not allowed to suit up that week. :clap: :clap:

Same here in Cuero LHP Mom. :clap:

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-06-2005, 03:14 PM
thats how lake worth is too, LHPM.

Leopards,class of 75
02-06-2005, 05:34 PM
No pass, no play should have always been a rule in all schools. That should include all activities, not sports only. The main reason we send our children to school is to learn.

Holmes_Fans
02-06-2005, 05:39 PM
The no pass no play rule is a state law. If a player has ISS the day of the game they can't play in forney. If they get a personal foul in a football game they have extracuricular running to do after practice, if they keep acting up in a game they even have to run more or sit out part of the next game.

exbccards76'smom
02-07-2005, 06:40 AM
We practiced "no pass no play" at our household BEFORE the school system picked it up. It is like Coach Roberts from Northwestern told our son"one percent of all college players make it to the NFL...we're gonna make you one of the 99% that make it on a degree.

AP Panther Fan
02-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Same in Aransas Pass....thankfully, they do make some exceptions for the advanced classes ....i.e. pre-calculus. We seem to be having some issues with that class in our household! :rolleyes:

Phil C
02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Same in Aransas Pass....thankfully, they do make some exceptions for the advanced classes ....i.e. pre-calculus. We seem to be having some issues with that class in our household! :rolleyes:

Back in my day you were eligible if you didn't flunk more than 2 classes and P.E. didn't count but no one hardly ever flunked P.E. unless they didn't show up for classes. So basically since P.E. didn't count you took 5 classes and had to pass three out five to stay in athletics. I don't think they had restrictions on other extra curricula activity. The No Pass No Play rule is an extreme point in the other direction. I think they should have had a medium and allowed one class failture even though I know most want agree with me but I have known as AP has mentioned that some of the smartest students have flunked one class because of one bad test. One of our smartest students made an F in of all things typing when he was a sophomore but still could play since it was only one course. He made a turn around in the class and got an A in the course by the end of the year and was the saluditorian of his class and he did very well at Texas A&M University. But my point is that anyone can flunk a class anytime and I don't think one bad apple should spoil it for everyone. Two or more is another thing though but one and done isn't right. That is just MHO and I know most of you will disagree with me but hey we all have our opinions and you are entitled to your opinions also - no matter how rediculous they are. :D