PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton not scoring in the Super Bowl!

Phil C
02-04-2005, 05:21 PM
When the Chicago Bears were ahead 39 to 3 late in the game and had it won and were on the one yard Coach Ditka let the Refegerator score (which was an insult to the other team as well as Walter Payton) instead of Walter Payton who had a great rushing career. It was a decision that Ditka said he regreted. It not only denied one of the greatest players ever to score in the Super Bowl but was an insult to the other team adding insult to injury. Anyway someone "corrected" me by saying the main thing is they scored and it didn't matter who scored. Well guess what. A Sports network listed this as one of the top ten super bowl tragedies. So it looks like that as usual the GodFather was right on. Not that I am one to toot my own horn of course.

:)

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-04-2005, 05:32 PM
it does deserve to be ranked in the top ten all time greatest tradgedies, but im still standing by my opinion that its the team that scores not just the player. i hope this doesnt cause any friction between you, the sinton God father, and myself.

AP Panther Fan
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
LOL...I think you might be sleeping with the fishes!:D

Phil C
02-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
LOL...I think you might be sleeping with the fishes!:D

:D

No problem Bull! We all have different opinions.

JasperDog94
02-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I gotta go with the Godfather on this one. Walter should have got the call. Just my 2 cents.:)

Phil C
02-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Of course I admit I don't agree with everything on the list. In third place they said Leon Lett's famous fumble was a tragedy (in third place!:D ) Dallas won that game easily for crying out loud so the play wasn't even a factor. If it had cost Dallas the game maybe.

One that they didn't list was Craig Morton's intercetion in the last minute at Super Bowl V between the Baltimore Colts and Dallas Cowboys. The score was tied and Dallas had third and twenty at about the 30. The game was a defensive game with many mistakes. I remember even thinking there isn't but about a minute left - don't take a chance - run the ball and let the clock run out and try to win it in overtime. But sure enough Dallas tried a pass that was intercepted and ran back to about the Dallas 32 and the Colts ran the clock down and then kicked the winning field goal. That was one Dallas threw away.

TheDOCTORdre
02-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Perry got the TD in the 3rd quarter, you got to believe that at the rate the Bears were scoring Ditka had to think that he would have another chance to call Paytons #, nonetheless it is a great injustice that Payton did not score

PhiI C
02-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Perry got the TD in the 3rd quarter, wou got to believe that at the rate the Bears were scoring Ditka had to think that he would have another chance to call Paytons #, nonetheless it is a great injustice that Payton did not score

Good Point The!