PDA

View Full Version : Colleyville Heritage students admit using banned steroids

KTJ
02-04-2005, 11:35 AM
9 students admit to using steroids

Exclusive: Colleyville Heritage High football coach had denied athletes involved

10:31 AM CST on Friday, February 4, 2005

By GREGG JONES and GARY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News

COLLEYVILLE – Nine Colleyville Heritage High School students have admitted using banned steroids, one of the largest cases of confirmed steroid use at a U.S. high school, The Dallas Morning News has learned.

BRAD LOPER/DMN
Heritage football coach Chris Cunningham had denied steroid use among his players. In response to questions submitted this week by The News, a Grapevine-Colleyville ISD spokeswoman said Thursday that eight seniors and one junior confessed to using the muscle-building drugs "for a short period of time in the spring of 2004."

The students "also provided information about an adult source who sold them steroids," Robin McClure, director of public information for the school district, said in a written response to the questions.

She said that the district is still considering whether to discipline the students and that its investigation is continuing.

A Heritage athlete interviewed by The News twice in the last four months said he bought steroids last spring from a senior starter on the school's football team. The athlete said a dozen or more football players had used steroids, including at least three juniors.

The athlete said he injected the steroid nandrolone decanoate – known as Deca – for six weeks last spring.

"Nobody's afraid of getting tested because they know the school can't afford it right now," the athlete told the newspaper.

Heritage doesn't test students for steroid use. Possession or sale of steroids without a doctor's prescription is a federal offense, punishable by up to one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.

The News interviewed the athlete and his mother after she discovered the steroids in his bedroom closet. They agreed to tell their story on the condition that their names not be disclosed.

Steroids disclosure no surprise to some

In an interview with The News in November, Heritage head football coach Chris Cunningham vehemently denied steroid use among his players.

"In the nine years that I've been here, I do not know of a single case," he said. "And I'm talking about our entire athletic program."

He also denounced the mother, who a few weeks earlier had reported to school administrators that athletes were using steroids.

"This lady is a liar," Mr. Cunningham told The News during the interview. "She's got a son she caught taking steroids, and she just wants someone to blame."

The coach said he did not know her identity.

Over the last week, The News has made several attempts to contact Mr. Cunningham. On Monday, he sent an e-mail saying he would only respond to written questions because of the subject's sensitivity.

In its response to those questions, the school district said it began investigating the possibility of steroid use after an "anonymous parent" called the school last fall and alleged steroid use by Heritage athletes.

"Campus officials made repeated inquiries through multiple individual and group meetings with athletes during the fall 2004 semester," the school district said. "In every instance, the student response was to deny steroid use."

Eventually, nine students came forward and admitted to using steroids last spring, the school official said.

Ms. McClure said the information about the adult steroid dealer has been provided to law enforcement authorities. She did not indicate which agency.

The only other known instance in which several high school students admitted using steroids occurred in Buckeye, Ariz., in fall 2003, a search of news databases shows.

In that case, the mother of a Buckeye Union High School football player found steroids in her son's room and called police. Under orders from school officials to get answers, football coach Bobby Barnes questioned his players one by one over several hours. Ten admitted using steroids and were suspended for the remainder of the season. Another player implicated had already quit the team.

"The best advice I could give him [Mr. Cunningham] is to communicate with the parents of the kids and make them understand that any discipline that is doled out is for their own good," Mr. Barnes said Thursday evening.

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD hasn't taken action against the nine Colleyville students because their admitted steroid use occurred "within the 2003-2004 school year," Ms. McClure said in her statement to The News.

"District officials are currently conducting a review to determine whether disciplinary action is appropriate," said Ms. McClure. "An investigation as to whether any other students are using steroids is ongoing."

Heritage football players contacted Thursday evening by The News refused to speak with reporters.

"I have no comment about that," said one football player after answering the door of his home in Colleyville, an affluent Northeast Tarrant County suburb. "Our coach – we're just not talking about it. I don't want to get into any of that."

"I have nothing to say to you guys; thanks a lot," the father of another athlete said as he slammed the door.

In mid-December, Mr. Cunningham contacted the Plano-based Taylor Hooton Foundation, which conducts school seminars on teen steroid abuse. He asked about holding a steroid seminar at Heritage, said Don Hooton, foundation chairman.

Mr. Hooton blames the July 2003 suicide of his 17-year-old son – a Plano West baseball player – on steroid-related depression.

The Heritage admission of steroid use is "not necessarily the tip of the iceberg, but there is probably a lot more going on there than they have uncovered yet," said Mr. Hooton. "I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it wasn't happening right now."

Mr. Hooton said he received another phone call from Mr. Cunningham on Thursday about hosting a seminar – just hours before the school district released its statement to The News. "The solution to this problem begins with admitting you have one," Mr. Hooton said. "It's a giant hurdle to get over."

District303aPastPlayer
02-04-2005, 11:40 AM
pretty much all i can say is WOW!:eek:

WOS1
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
"The Heritage admission of steroid use is "not necessarily the tip of the iceberg, but there is probably a lot more going on there than they have uncovered yet," said Mr. Hooton. "I think we'd be kidding ourselves if we said it wasn't happening right now."

... yes, I think it IS the tip of the berg... I think this is a lot bigger problem than people will admit. I also think that a coach has a responsibility to monitor this and not turn a blind eye. If a kid gains 20-25 pounds in an offseason, it needs to be looked into.

BullFrog Dad
02-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Sad thing about this is that it happened in Colleyville 90210. These parents have the money to keep the school from doing anything to discipline the kids. In fact their spokesman even said they are considering whether or not to discipline the kids. Doesn't the UIL have a say in this?

BullFrog Dad
02-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Funny that everyone was ready to hang the girl from Permian over the alcohol incident but this thread went virtually unnoticed.

Phil C
02-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Funny that everyone was ready to hang the girl from Permian over the alcohol incident but this thread went virtually unnoticed.

Bull, plus it was instigated by one of the schools own representative - a teacher/coach.

Rabbit'93
02-07-2005, 11:59 AM
I'll have to agree that steroid use is way up among high schools. With college tuition the way it is now, most kids see athletics as a way to get into school, as well as, into the pros. Unfortunately we as a society place priorities and "bigger, faster, stronger" has become 3 of them.

big daddy russ
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
You know, I can guarantee that the steroid problem is worse than anyone cares to admit. I'm surprised that nine players is the most ever caught from a single school... and that it made national headlines. I know of at least three kids from my little 3A HS class who took them, and we were one of the "well-behaved" classes. When they said tip of the iceberg, I wonder if they have any idea what's really out there.

KTJ
02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You know, I can guarantee that the steroid problem is worse than anyone cares to admit.

Agreed.

Bandera YaYa
02-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Nine players admit to using them, but the coach says nothing was happening.......And, he calls some lady he says he doen't know, a liar......does this bring up red flags with anyone else???? He should be fired.

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad

Do we know what the school policy is at Colleyville regarding substance abuse? It saddens me to know that kids are so uninformed about the dangers of substance abuse of any kind; if they are informed & just choose to ignore the information, that is a travesty for which the repercussions could be deadly. :(

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:24 PM
it shouldnt matter what the school policy is. The fact is they have admitted to using an ILLEGAL substance. Possession or sale of steroids without a doctor's prescription is a federal offense, punishable by up to one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.

How can people say that this isnt a problem in the schools. Nine students admit to using it at ONE school and it isnt a big problem?

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
How can people say that this isnt a problem in the schools.

who said that it isn't a problem?

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
it shouldnt matter what the school policy is. The fact is they have admitted to using an ILLEGAL substance. Possession or sale of steroids without a doctor's prescription is a federal offense, punishable by up to one year in prison and a minimum $1,000 fine.

How can people say that this isnt a problem in the schools. Nine students admit to using it at ONE school and it isnt a big problem?

I'll agree with that & thanks for the reminder. I agree that it is a problem in many schools & should be addressed. The coach doesn't look very conscientious is denying the allegations; admission on his part would be worse for him. However, the coach "looking bad" is the least of his problems.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:33 PM
the UIL, who year after year says that they are "investigating" implementing a drug testing program and still to tthis day has not....

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:35 PM
and to back the coach....

the quote he gave makes him look stupid. The woman has accused the school and coaching staff of knowing that the atheltes were using the steroids and having proof that they were using the steroids. that is what he is saying she is lying about. He knows that the kid was caught with steroids in his closet but he was denying that the staff knew about the problem.

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2005, 02:36 PM
the UIL, who year after year says that they are "investigating" implementing a drug testing program and still to tthis day has not....

go to you local school and have then implement one. they don't have to wait.

kaorder1999
02-07-2005, 02:36 PM
quote from forney's head coach about the steroid issue:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forney athletic director and football coach Kevin Rush reminded his players of the district's policy when he discussed steroids with them Friday, reacting to the news about Colleyville Heritage.

"I told them that if I saw any of the signs [of steroids] on them, I do have the option to drug test them when the random tests come out," Mr. Rush said. "I get to pick some of those. And if I think that you're taking steroids, I'm going to hammer you. I'm going to have you tested."

Bandera YaYa
02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
the UIL, who year after year says that they are "investigating" implementing a drug testing program and still to tthis day has not.... ...because it's not their priority!!!! Too busy drawing up playoff brackets and posting schedules.... :rolleyes:

big daddy russ
02-07-2005, 09:36 PM
the UIL, who year after year says that they are "investigating" implementing a drug testing program and still to tthis day has not.... You know, kaorder, I usually agree with just about everything you post but I have to back Breithaupt on this one. The responsibility for financing a drug testing program lies within the district and many districts don't have the money for something like that. Granted, there are a few that have already started doing it, but cooperation has been the biggest issue with the UIL.

Bandera YaYa
02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
quote from forney's head coach about the steroid issue:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forney athletic director and football coach Kevin Rush reminded his players of the district's policy when he discussed steroids with them Friday, reacting to the news about Colleyville Heritage.

"I told them that if I saw any of the signs [of steroids] on them, I do have the option to drug test them when the random tests come out," Mr. Rush said. "I get to pick some of those. And if I think that you're taking steroids, I'm going to hammer you. I'm going to have you tested." I believe that's called .."covering his a$$!" :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 09:41 AM
You know, kaorder, I usually agree with just about everything you post but I have to back Breithaupt on this one. The responsibility for financing a drug testing program lies within the district and many districts don't have the money for something like that. Granted, there are a few that have already started doing it, but cooperation has been the biggest issue with the UIL.

you know...I may be wrong here but I dont know of one High School that tests for steroid use. I know that there are many schools that have alcohol and drug tests but none that I know of specifically test for steroids.

My point is this. We hear from Breithaupt and the UIL every time something big like this Colleyville story takes place. Then after it all blows over and the story dies we don't hear from them again about this issue until the next story comes out. Thats what I'm tired of.

--------------------------------------------------------
from DMN Article

The cost of testing, particularly for steroids, is perhaps the biggest obstacle. The NCAA tests, conducted by the National Center for Drug Free Sport, are conducted randomly almost year-round on campuses and at championship events. Dr. Breithaupt said a steroid-testing policy similar to the one used by the NCAA, which tests roughly 3 percent of its athletes, would cost about $3 million annually if only boys were tested.

---------------------------------------

Sounds to me like the UIL would be responsible for the costs of the tests, not the schools. I may be wrong but that is what it sounds like to me. Now, it may be different with the random drug and alcohol tests that exist today but this is a totally different thing

Rutledge has said it best....

"When it comes down to it, how can you put a price on kids' lives?" said D.W. Rutledge, executive vice president of the Texas High School Coaches Association.

big daddy russ
02-08-2005, 09:50 AM
you know...I may be wrong here but I dont know of one High School that tests for steroid use. I know that there are many schools that have alcohol and drug tests but none that I know of specifically test for steroids... I can see where you're coming from, but the school down in South Texas that started the random drug testing actually started out by targeting student-athletes for any drugs, steroids included. AP PantherMom could probably tell you more about it, but I think on your first offense you get suspended for a game and drug counseling, your second you win everything stated previously and you lose out on a few more games, your third you get suspended from extracurriculars for a year and you have to go to drug counseling. (I think those are the terms) They've targeted athletes down there, but the cost to the district for just random testing is staggering. Whenever I was down there it was in the $100's of thousands.

Rutledge has said it best....

"When it comes down to it, how can you put a price on kids' lives?" said D.W. Rutledge, executive vice president of the Texas High School Coaches Association. That's one point that's hard to argue, but for some districts (like my hometown of Ingleside) that can barely afford a coaching staff and still stay afloat, drug testing is out of the question.

AP Panther Fan
02-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I can see where you're coming from, but the school down in South Texas that started the random drug testing actually started out by targeting student-athletes for any drugs, steroids included. AP PantherMom could probably tell you more about it, but I think on your first offense you get suspended for a game and drug counseling, your second you win everything stated previously and you lose out on a few more games, your third you get suspended from extracurriculars for a year and you have to go to drug counseling. (I think those are the terms) They've targeted athletes down there, but the cost to the district for just random testing is staggering. Whenever I was down there it was in the $100's of thousands.

That's one point that's hard to argue, but for some districts (like my hometown of Ingleside) that can barely afford a coaching staff and still stay afloat, drug testing is out of the question.

Hey Russ, yes we still drug-test...I am uncertain as to which illegal substances they are testing for though. I looked at the school website and my 04-05 Handbook. The website doesn't have policies on it and the handbook simply states, "all students wishing to participate in extracurricular activities in Aransas Pass Middle School and High School will be subject to drug testing. It is the belief of the Aransas Pass Board of Trustees that students who use illegal drugs pose a threat to their own health and safety, as well as to that of other students. This program is academically non-punitive and it is designed to create a safe, drug free environment for students and assist them in getting help when needed. Those individuals interested in receiving more information about this policy will need to contact the AP Athletic Director or the District Extra-Curricular Drug Testing Coordinator."

The interesting thing is that while AP started this program and targeted athletes initially, they expanded it to include academics and other extra-curricular activities. Basically, anything subject to UIL rules.

I know I signed a form consenting to the program, but don't have a copy of it unfortunately.

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I am watching the Jane Pauley show..subject: use of steroids by teenagers. PArents of children are on to tell what happened when their teenage boys took them....boys are not on...they are dead.

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 12:35 PM
i still don't think there is a school in Texas that tests for Steroids at this time. In a grad school Kines. class i was in, we got into this discussion and our professor told us that the test for Performance Enhancing drugs is VERY complex. It's a test that is much different then a regular random drug/alcohol test that many schools administer already.

If there is a school that does test for steroids, I'd like to contact them and get info about it

AP Panther Fan
02-08-2005, 12:38 PM
i still don't think there is a school in Texas that tests for Steroids at this time. In a grad school Kines. class i was in, we got into this discussion and our professor told us that the test for Performance Enhancing drugs is VERY complex. It's a test that is much different then a regular random drug/alcohol test that many schools administer already.

If there is a school that does test for steroids, I'd like to contact them and get info about it

If you read the thread that HSF posted regarding the drug testing policy in Collinsville, it states that they CAN test for performance enhancing drugs...doesn't necessarily mean that they do though. :thinking:

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
If you read the thread that HSF posted regarding the drug testing policy in Collinsville, it states that they CAN test for performance enhancing drugs...doesn't necessarily mean that they do though. :thinking:

true

big daddy russ
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey AP, I don't know if you still talk to any of the coaches up there or if Coach Whitehead is still around, but if you run across someone in the know could you find out what kind of steroid tests they have up there?

HighSchool Fan
02-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
..doesn't necessarily mean that they do though. :thinking:

trust me they do, one of the kids on our block tested positive for steroids.

superslyguy06
02-08-2005, 02:55 PM
this is most def. the tip of the iceberg. administrations all over are saying so, so does that mean they know about it but aren't doing anything? it would seem like some schools that care more about winning wouldn't do anything for fear of losing top players. does anybody else feel the same?

KTJ
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
That's the problem. There is more "under-the-cover" use than people want to admit. So naturally a school district isn't going to want testing if the majority of their athletes are using the drug.

And also, there are some LEGAL performance enhancing drugs out there. Whether folks are using them or not, I don't know. But I'll say this--I've seen some folks that are in high school who are bigger than college athletes. It's really crazy. I don't know if this is due to hormones or what. But it does make you wonder.

:eek: :D

Black_Magic
02-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I think they should first (test) get the folks who use mind altering drugs... coke, Pot, speed, etc. before they think about spending that kind of money to test for steroids. after all those are the big problems in society . to spend millions of bucks to test for steroids( very expensive ) when the real problem in the schools is ilegal drugs would be stupid. if your going to test, start with ilegal drugs in the whole UIL population . testing for those is not nearly as expensive and the problems steming from ilegal drugs are way more clear in society . lets take on the problems that are most important first.

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
do you not consider Steroids an illegal drug?

WOS1
02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I think they should first (test) get the folks who use mind altering drugs... coke, Pot, speed, etc. before they think about spending that kind of money to test for steroids. after all those are the big problems in society . to spend millions of bucks to test for steroids( very expensive ) when the real problem in the schools is ilegal drugs would be stupid. if your going to test, start with ilegal drugs in the whole UIL population . testing for those is not nearly as expensive and the problems steming from ilegal drugs are way more clear in society . lets take on the problems that are most important first.

Anabolic steroids are just as illegal and deadly as cocaine, and just as wide spread.

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 04:05 PM

Before you so easily dismiss steroids as being less important, take a look at www.taylorhooton.org and try telling that to his parents.

big daddy russ
02-08-2005, 04:20 PM
I can see where he's coming from. It's like asking which is more deadly: a .300 Win-mag or a .243? They're both deadly, but that .243 will put a nice, two-inch hole in you while that .300 magnum might leave an arm, a couple of knees and your eyes intact. Same thing with drugs. Something like heroin will knock you out cold and quick and is a much larger problem than, say, marijuana.

Black_Magic
02-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Anabolic steroids are just as illegal and deadly as cocaine, and just as wide spread. Come on now. A steroid is prescribed and is a legal drug. Cocaine is NOT LEGAL in any form. Cocaine and the related sales kills more people than just about anything in the us. the ilegal sales of the stuff is what drives crime. Please... you dont hear about the Columbian Steriod cartel.:rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
02-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Come on now. A steroid is prescribed and is a legal drug. Cocaine is NOT LEGAL in any form. Cocaine and the related sales kills more people than just about anything in the us. the ilegal sales of the stuff is what drives crime. Please... you dont hear about the Columbian Steriod cartel.:rolleyes:

I don't really think it matters what is legal or illegal....it is still killing teenagers....that is the point now isn't it.:rolleyes:

AND, just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean the problem doesnt exist or how big of a problem it is......

(I'm curious....you state your occupation as : DR, is that
as in doctor?? Are you kidding??)

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Come on now. A steroid is prescribed and is a legal drug.

there is not one LEGAL anabolic steroid......wake up

TheDOCTORdre
02-08-2005, 11:00 PM
asthmatic inhalers have small amounts of steroids in them

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

NOT ANABOLIC STEROIDS

TheDOCTORdre
02-08-2005, 11:05 PM
NOT ANABOLIC STEROIDS
trueness

kaorder1999
02-08-2005, 11:10 PM
if they tested for the steroids that are in inhalers then there would be a lot of guilty people

TheDOCTORdre
02-08-2005, 11:11 PM
if they tested for the steroids that are in inhalers then there would be a lot of guilty people
true that, when the drug dogs came to school tho they were always all over my inhaler

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
there is not one LEGAL anabolic steroid......wake up NO I believe YOU need to wake up. Anabolic Steroids are Precribed every day in every state around the country. They are completely Legal when prescribed by a Doctor . Where in the world do you get that they are ilegal Drugs???? It is ilegal to sell them (without a prescrition ) but the drugs them selves are produced by companies right here in the US and the Government knows they produce them because they have a legal right to according to the Government. Cocaine is ilegal...:rolleyes:

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 09:51 AM
"Anabolic steroids are classified as controlled substances under U.S. federal law and the laws of many states. In most states, both state and federal laws prohibit anabolic steroids, and a person can be prosecuted under either. In which court the case is brought often depends on the agency responsible for your arrest, and on the seriousness of the charges. If you are arrested by local police for simple possession (as in a car stop), you are more likely to be charged in state court. If your arrest arises out of an investigation by federal authorities (such as the DEA or U.S. Postal Inspector) or you are stopped by U.S. Customs at an international airport, you are more likely to be charged with federal crimes."

"Since the non-medical possession or sale of anabolic steroids is illegal, strength athletes must not only consider the possible health risks but also the potential legal consequences of involvement."

----------------------------

Its LEGAL to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Texas if you are licensed to do so. If a kid walks into school carrying a gun in his backpack then he is breaking the law. It doesn't matter if the guns are made in his own freaking neighborhood, it is still illegal.

Your attempt to make it sound like Steroid use isn't a problem is laughable. The next thing you are going to say is these athletes that have been busted for steroids and the kids that are admitting to steroid use all had prescriptions. give me a break. People, even kids, are dying because of effects of their steroid use and anybody who doesn't see that as a problem has a problem themself.

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 11:02 AM
"Since the non-medical possession or sale of anabolic steroids is illegal, strength athletes must not only consider the possible health risks but also the potential legal consequences of involvement."

----------------------------

Its LEGAL to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Texas if you are licensed to do so. If a kid walks into school carrying a gun in his backpack then he is breaking the law. It doesn't matter if the guns are made in his own freaking neighborhood, it is still illegal.

Your attempt to make it sound like Steroid use isn't a problem is laughable. The next thing you are going to say is these athletes that have been busted for steroids and the kids that are admitting to steroid use all had prescriptions. give me a break. People, even kids, are dying because of effects of their steroid use and anybody who doesn't see that as a problem has a problem themself. [/B][/QUOTE]

1) you proved my point that Anabolic steroids are not ilegal drugs because you point out that they are legal with a persciption.:D
2) no where did I say Steroid use is not a problem. Poit it out if i did.... cant do it can you because it didnt happen. I pointed out that the REAL problem with the society we have stems from ILEGAL DRUGS like cocaine and those made in meth labs. people die from those drugs sometimes the first time they use. People get killed ( shot ) in gang wars and trafficing wars. I said lets go after the Ilegal stuff first if money is the issue. To test athletes for Steroids while you have pot heads walking the halls in 20 times the numbers of the people who may use steroids is stupid.

3) You mentioned the boy who commited suicide. Look people take thier own lives for many reasons. Yes Im sure his use of Steroids may have contributed to his mental state. but to say it is the one cause for him to take his life is crazy. people get married and break up and sometimes are so emotionaly broken up that they kill them selves. we dont say getting married killed him do we? when someone kills them self it is because of several factors and an inability to cope with those things. Its not the things them selves.

4) your point about the hand gun is also full of holes:D ( get it ) Yes handguns are LEGAL, but doing somethings with handguns are ILLEGAL. BUT GUNS ARE LEGAL like Anabolic Steroids. if you have a persciption its as legal as can be. hence its a LEGAL Drug. COCAINE IS ILLEGAL . CANT GET A PERSCRIPTION FOR IT. hence that makes it an ILLEGAL DRUG.

Bottom line if money is the issue in testing student then we should go the route of testing and stoping the ILLEGAL DRUG use. then if money is available after that test for Performance drugs. Who believes a policeman should chase down someone who ran a red light when he is chasing someone down who just shot a person?:doh:

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Man, are you just trying to agrue for the sake of arguing?? Camparing these steroids to pot is like comparing apples to oranges. And you know nothing about the young man who killed himself while on steroids, so please refrain from talking like you do. You are defending the use of steroids so vehemently, why?????

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Man, are you just trying to agrue for the sake of arguing?? Camparing these steroids to pot is like comparing apples to oranges. And you know nothing about the young man who killed himself while on steroids, so please refrain from talking like you do. You are defending the use of steroids so vehemently, why????? You saying Im defending the use of Steroids? please find a statement that I have made "Defending the use of Steroids".

ONE. I said Steroids are not ILLEGAL Drugs. Perscription are given for them every day in every state.

TWO. I said there are bigger fish to fry than Steroid testing as far as state fund spending. There has got to be 20 times the number of students taking ILLEGAL drugs in school than there are taking Steroids. Im just saying lets go after the WHALE and get the gupie if there are funds left after the whale.

now put some more words into my mouth.

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
OK !! ""blah blah blah" :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 01:00 PM
i love arguing with people who's sole purpose in life is to argue....

---------------------

carrying a gun with a license is legal.

carrying a gun without a license is illegal

using anaolic steroids with a prescription (at least i guess that is what you mean when you say perscription) is legal

using anabolic steroids and possessing anabolic steroids without a written prescription is Illegal and a federal offense.

-----------------------

these nine students that have admitted to steroid use at this school do not have prescriptions for the anabolic steroids they injected into their body. People also die every day the first time they inject steroids into their body because they do not know how to administer the drug. One cc of an oil based steroid injected into your blood stream by accident can kill you. There was a case I read about that talked about a 17-year old Maine student that injected the steroid Deca-Durabolin directly into a vein because he didn't know any better. He died twenty minutes later.

All drug use in high school is a problem that needs to be fixed now. No sin is greater then the next and all need to be taken care of.

Your argument makes no sense what-so-ever and I'm okay with the fact of knowing that no matter what anybody else says you will continue to try to make yourself sound right...and that's okay. That's what messsage boards are all about right?

Go to a school board meeting and let your voice be heard. Go tell the parents of the ones who have died that their son/daughter died due to the steroid use but the State doesn't need to worry about that drug because there are other drugs out there that are "worse" and "more of a problem".

Concerned citizens aren't wanting these steroid tests because they think athletes are getting unfair advantages because of the steroid use. Myself could care less about that. I'm worried about the well-being of the students and worried about the long-term effects of the drug on their lives. Steroids are an addicting drug just like any other illegal drug. Once you use them you want more and more and more.

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Amen.

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 01:47 PM
i love arguing with people who's sole purpose in life is to argue....

---------------------

carrying a gun with a license is legal.

carrying a gun without a license is illegal

using anaolic steroids with a prescription (at least i guess that is what you mean when you say perscription) is legal

using anabolic steroids and possessing anabolic steroids without a written prescription is Illegal and a federal offense.

-----------------------

these nine students that have admitted to steroid use at this school do not have prescriptions for the anabolic steroids they injected into their body. People also die every day the first time they inject steroids into their body because they do not know how to administer the drug. One cc of an oil based steroid injected into your blood stream by accident can kill you. There was a case I read about that talked about a 17-year old Maine student that injected the steroid Deca-Durabolin directly into a vein because he didn't know any better. He died twenty minutes later.

All drug use in high school is a problem that needs to be fixed now. No sin is greater then the next and all need to be taken care of.

Your argument makes no sense what-so-ever and I'm okay with the fact of knowing that no matter what anybody else says you will continue to try to make yourself sound right...and that's okay. That's what messsage boards are all about right?

Go to a school board meeting and let your voice be heard. Go tell the parents of the ones who have died that their son/daughter died due to the steroid use but the State doesn't need to worry about that drug because there are other drugs out there that are "worse" and "more of a problem".

Concerned citizens aren't wanting these steroid tests because they think athletes are getting unfair advantages because of the steroid use. Myself could care less about that. I'm worried about the well-being of the students and worried about the long-term effects of the drug on their lives. Steroids are an addicting drug just like any other illegal drug. Once you use them you want more and more and more. Its Clear you are treating this issue more from an emotional stand point than from a rational one.

Steroid use is at the end of a long list of abuse in society. You really dont get it do you. I have a right to speak out as to how funds are spend in my state and district. IN MY OPPINION it is laughable for you to call for testing athletes for illegal us of a LEGAL drug when you have 20-50 times the amount of pot heads and drug users and dealers walking the halls of our schools using ILLEGAL DRUGS . but you want the state or district to fund testing for Steroids???? HECK! there is more of a problem with the misuse of Diet Pills than there is of Steroid use. Want to test kids for Diet pills??? Its more of a impending problem and much more wide spread than steroid use. Your example of a kid who died from injecting a steroid directly into the vien is tragic. You can also die from injesting one pound of salt in an hours time. lets out law salt now... HECK you can sit here and argue that Steroid use even compairs to how severe the problem of ILLEGAL drug use is in our schools?? If you can then you would urge the police officer to stop chasing the murderer and go get that speeder.:rolleyes: AGAIN I SAY sure test for steroids.... But ONLY if you have the money to first and more importantly go get the potheads and drug dealers FIRST. If there is money left over... Test for the Steroids. But please first things first.:rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
:hand:

WOS1
02-09-2005, 01:51 PM

I can't believe you are serious with this... the steroids you are talking about are for inflamation and other allergy related problems, THEY ARE NOT the same as anabolic steroids, 2 completely different things.

Anabolic steroids ARE illegal and ARE smuggled into this country from Mexico just like cocaine is, it's just not as publicized.

TheDOCTORdre
02-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
I can't believe you are serious with this... the steroids you are talking about are for inflamation and other allergy related problems, THEY ARE NOT the same as anabolic steroids, 2 completely different things.

Anabolic steroids ARE illegal and ARE smuggled into this country from Mexico just like cocaine is, it's just not as publicized.
I cant believe you took that as a serious comment:doh:

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, he's on our side!!

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Its Clear you are treating this issue more from an imotional stand point than from a rational one.

i refuse to further argue with someone who spells emotional (imotional)[

TheDOCTORdre
02-09-2005, 02:08 PM
i refuse to further ague with someone who spells emotional (imotional)
I think when making a post like this you should spell aRgue right:doh:

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
i refuse to further ague with someone who spells emotional (imotional) oops I did spell it that way. Oh well .. typing fast I make mistakes and then again dont spell that great anyway. BUT, feel free to give any EXCUSE to bow out. Spelling or not what is inacurate about what I typed?????

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I think when making a post like this you should spell aRgue right:doh: And he hammers me for my spelling? LOL

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:12 PM
I think when making a post like this you should spell aRgue right:doh:

thanks...that kind of you. But there is a difference between typos and simply not knowing how to spell something

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 02:13 PM
your full of excuses today:rolleyes:

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
the I and E are on totally different sides of the keyboard so that wasn't a type you made. Sorry. Maybe it was a typo the first time you spelled prescription (perscription) That E and R are side by side. But its not a typo when you do it over and over again.

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 02:15 PM
you have done a great job of diverting the topic. LOL BUT why dont you answer my question?

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
your full of excuses today:rolleyes:

I'll accept the fact that I'm full of excuses if you'll accept the fact that you are full of ignorance.

WOS1
02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Its Clear you are treating this issue more from an imotional stand point than from a rational one.

Steroid use is at the end of a long list of abuse in society. You really dont get it do you. I have a right to speak out as to how funds are spend in my state and district. IN MY OPPINION it is laughable for you to call for testing athletes for illegal us of a LEGAL drug when you have 20-50 times the amount of pot heads and drug users and dealers walking the halls of our schools using ILLEGAL DRUGS . but you want the state or district to fund testing for Steroids???? HECK! there is more of a problem with the misuse of Diet Pills than there is of Steroid use. Want to test kids for Diet pills??? Its more of a impending problem and much more wide spread than steroid use. Your example of a kid who died from injecting a steroid directly into the vien is tragic. You can also die from injesting one pound of salt in an hours time. lets out law salt now... HECK you can sit here and argue that Steroid use even compairs to how severe the problem of ILLEGAL drug use is in our schools?? If you can then you would urge the police officer to stop chasing the murderer and go get that speeder.:rolleyes: AGAIN I SAY sure test for steroids.... But ONLY if you have the money to first and more importantly go get the potheads and drug dealers FIRST. If there is money left over... Test for the Steroids. But please first things first.:rolleyes:

You keep calling it a "legal" drug because you can get a prescription for it. It is still a controlled substance and any use without a prescription is illegal. Further, you keep refferencing "potheads", well, Marajuana is prescribed by Doctors every day in the US. I guess these potheads are using "legal drugs", right? I also guess that Xanax, Vicadin and Somas are "legal drugs" and their abuse should not be monitored, in your line of thinking. In fact, there are drugs out there that have a cocaine base that are prescribed by doctors, what about those?

It's very simple, all controlled substances are illegal if you are taking them without a prescription, whether it's anabolic steroids, pot, pain killers or cocaine. All conrtolled substances are also extremely deadly when used outside of a physicians care and they are all worthy of attention and monitoring and they are ALL a detriment to our society.

TheDOCTORdre
02-09-2005, 02:18 PM
the I and E are on totally different sides of the keyboard so that wasn't a type you made.
disclaimer: I have nothing against you kaorder and I am not supporting black_magic
the o and e are also on different sides of the keyboard so when you spelled typo as type, whats up with that

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:21 PM
whats inaccurate? The fact that someone at school says that they bought steroids from a senior in the highschool makes that senior a drug dealer. They aren't just drug dealers because they are selling marijuana, ecstacy, etc. If you are caught with Anabolic Steroids in your possession (even if you have a prescription on you) you WILL be arrested and taken to jail pending furthur investigation of the prescription. If the prescription is legit, they tell you to have a nice day and sorry for the confusion. I have friends in law enforcement and have been witness to this.

Schools are already testing for illegal drugs in schools, just not steroids. So your argument that schools should test for other drugs besides steroids is null and void. Schools already do! Our argument, since you haven't figured it out yet, is that schools need to test for ALL illegal substances, Steroids included

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
yeah....i go around in life saying type instead of typo. im sure nobody in the world would have seen that as a typo.

big daddy russ
02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey, I support black magic on this one. I've smoked pot a time or two back in the day but I still realize that pot and steroids are nowhere near the problem that drugs like cocaine and extasy are. I'll just simply agree to disagree on this one, guys.

WOS1
02-09-2005, 02:26 PM
whats inaccurate? The fact that someone at school says that they bought steroids from a senior in the highschool makes that senior a drug dealer. They aren't just drug dealers because they are selling marijuana, ecstacy, etc. If you are caught with Anabolic Steroids in your possession (even if you have a prescription on you) you WILL be arrested and taken to jail pending furthur investigation of the prescription. If the prescription is legit, they tell you to have a nice day and sorry for the confusion. I have friends in law enforcement and have been witness to this.

Schools are already testing for illegal drugs in schools, just not steroids. So your argument that schools should test for other drugs besides steroids is null and void. Schools already do! Our argument, since you haven't figured it out yet, is that schools need to test for ALL illegal substances, Steroids included

And to take his point further, the law does not see the use of steroids any different than it sees the use of cocaine or pot. They are the same, I'm not sure that Magic is getting that.

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:29 PM
great point that sadly has to be made

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Hey, I support black magic on this one. I've smoked pot a time or two back in the day but I still realize that pot and steroids are nowhere near the problem that drugs like cocaine and extasy are. I'll just simply agree to disagree on this one, guys.

Physically, maybe so. But morally, not. If something is illegal, then it shouldnt happen. If something is happening that is illegal then action needs to be taken on the matter. Sitting back and turning a cheek to it does nothing to help the problem. A kid that was quoted said it best. " I know we arent going to be tested because its too expensive." That is sad.

jason
02-09-2005, 02:44 PM
your full of excuses today:rolleyes: its YOU'RE full of excuses :D

i got your back KA....

WOS1
02-09-2005, 02:45 PM
I'd bet the number of drug caused deaths each year related to steroids would be comparable to that of cocaine. I also think that steroid abuse is a much larger problem with kids in high school than people realize due to the fact that kids aren't tested. I've lifted wieghts for a long time and I'm telling you right now, you can tell when a kid has been taking them. I see them every day around this area and even more so in the more affluent areas. Just because it's not a well publicized problem does not mean it isn't a serious problem, IMO. To me, that makes it even more serious.

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Headline in the Forth Worth Star-Telegram:

Tarrant County Narcotics Unit Investigating Steroid Use

Man, why would a Narcotics Unit investigate something that isn't illegal? Thats weird.

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
found another article....

----------------

"Steroids affect psychology as well. Aggressive behavior and increased violence are common because the drugs affect the ability to control feelings of rage.

Steroids are ILLEGAL and are most often purchased through older weightlifters in a black-market system centered in gyms. "

SOURCE: Journal of the American Medical Association (1996;276(19):1555-1562)

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 03:09 PM
another one....its funny how they are using the word illegal in the articles

-----------------
Some surveys suggest that 2.5% of high school pupils in the US will have taken illegal steroids at some time. This is particularly worrying considering the very high risks of steroid abuse in those under the age of 18.

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
well Darn! Ya got me. I just wonder why all of these US Drug manufacturers are Making these ILLEGAL Drugs that Doctors are Prescribing and then letting people pick them up in the drug store????? I guess they Need to have a Drug bust at the Wal mart pharmacys because you will find Anabolic Steroids on just about every Pharmacy shelf..... I have a co worker who has a son that was prescribed one of these ILLEGAL anabolic steroids because he was way behind the growth curve and the Doctor believed he needed it to get him kicked off.... Sure hope the police dont come arest this poor undersized Teen for possesing an ILLEGAL substance or the poor doctor who is under the impression it is ok to prescribe it to him.:rolleyes: Gees You really are very un informed.... Selling and Buying them without a prescription is what is Illegal. Not the Drugs ( Anabolic Steroids ) them selves....:rolleyes: Duh... Can I pet the rabbits George ?:doh:

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 06:07 PM
You guys sure are defensive of me saying we should test for Cocane and Pot first.. funny. maybe it says something:rolleyes:

WOS1
02-09-2005, 06:50 PM
You guys sure are defensive of me saying we should test for Cocane and Pot first.. funny. maybe it says something:rolleyes:

We're not defensive, you're just not making a very good case for your stance. I also feel like your underestimating the impact that "roids" have.

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 07:47 PM
You talking about that I think that the biggest problem we have to deal with in schools is DRUG use ( Cocaine, MJ, Speed, ect...).?? My stance is if your planing to test anyone then test the entire population for it ALL.. If you cant aford to do that then just test for Drug use (Cocaine ect..) in the population of the entire school. the last priority should be to catch the least of the problem. FIRST THINGS FIRST. Dont put the least of the problems first:rolleyes:

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 09:01 PM
well Darn! Ya got me. I just wonder why all of these US Drug manufacturers are Making these ILLEGAL Drugs that Doctors are Prescribing and then letting people pick them up in the drug store????? I guess they Need to have a Drug bust at the Wal mart pharmacys because you will find Anabolic Steroids on just about every Pharmacy shelf..... I have a co worker who has a son that was prescribed one of these ILLEGAL anabolic steroids because he was way behind the growth curve and the Doctor believed he needed it to get him kicked off.... Sure hope the police dont come arest this poor undersized Teen for possesing an ILLEGAL substance or the poor doctor who is under the impression it is ok to prescribe it to him.:rolleyes: Gees You really are very un informed.... Selling and Buying them without a prescription is what is Illegal. Not the Drugs ( Anabolic Steroids ) them selves....:rolleyes: Duh... Can I pet the rabbits George ?:doh:

After you finish high school and finish college,( and if you have already done the both of these please ask for your money back) you will realize that when a controlled substance (Anabolic Steroids) is not controlled (used for its purpose -- which is where the prescription comes to play) then that substance is considered Illegal at that point. The Growth Hormones or the testosterone that this young man that you are talking about received via prescription from a Medical Doctor is not the same "stuff" that kids and adults are getting on the streets, which is usually manufactured in Mexico or other countires or Vet. clinics. You do not walk into Walmart with a prescription for Winstrol, D-Bol, or Deca.

kaorder1999
02-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Selling and Buying them without a prescription is what is Illegal. Not the Drugs ( Anabolic Steroids ) them selves....:rolleyes: Duh... Can I pet the rabbits George ?:doh:

wrong again.....you dont have to buy or sell the anabolic steroids for them to be illegal. Simple possession of the controlled substance is illegal, which in turn makes the drug itself illegal.

Someone could give you the drug free of charge and guess what....it is illegal. The act of buying and selling the drug is illegal....possession of it is illegal too.

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey Black Magic...are you still in HS??

Black_Magic
02-09-2005, 09:34 PM
wrong again.....you dont have to buy or sell the anabolic steroids for them to be illegal. Simple possession of the controlled substance is illegal, which in turn makes the drug itself illegal.

Someone could give you the drug free of charge and guess what....it is illegal. The act of buying and selling the drug is illegal....possession of it is illegal too. Wrong Lenny!! ( Duh can I pet the rabbits george? ) If you have a prescription for a Drug with your name on it and the Pharmacy name and Number on it with the doctor who prescribed it along with an ID of your own to prove it is yours, you can have it in your possesion.. MY GOD HOW CAN YOU NOT BE SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW AT LEAST THAT????? IT IS A LEGAL DRUG MADE RIGHT HERE IN THE US PRESCRIBED BY DOCTORS RIGHT HERE IN THE US. YOU CANT BE THIS DENCE!!! IT IS NOT AN ILLEGAL DRUG IF IT IS A DRUG PRESCRIBED BY A DOCTOR AND MADE IN THE GOOD OLD USA AND OVERSEEN BY THE FDA........ AN ILLEGAL DRUG IS ILLEGALY PRODUCED AND ILLEGALY USED AND ILLEGALY SOLD IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES........

If an officer arested you with all that info then you would be able to own half the city after a law suit. did you even graduate high school?:rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
02-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes I did....but i wasn't trying to be a smart$$$, i was just wondering how old you were.....sorry

Ranger Mom
02-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Yall are just going to have to agree to disagree.

How many different ways can you possibly say the same thing??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/ttidead.bmp