TheDOCTORdre
02-03-2005, 10:31 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6907811/

Hupernikomen
02-04-2005, 01:15 AM
saw it on TV it was ugly.

ILS1
02-04-2005, 01:18 AM
I saw it too!!!! It was crazy and ugly!!!

:eek:

BullFrog Dad
02-04-2005, 08:26 AM
That was a very bad situation. What made it worse was the cheerleader's comment that some girls lost their cell phones.

VERNONLION#1
02-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

The Vernon/Graham game last night could have and almost got ugly. It's a shame that the parents of these kids have brought there kids up to be this way. One of our players was fouled and then kicked while on the floor and a few minutes later one of our posts was fouled and pushed to the ground and then they both got physical. People from the stands and the benchs had to be calmed by the police and school officals. Graham WAS ranked #1 and were beat fair and square. Final score V-64 G-52.

Astrosdawg07
02-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

This is scary, fans need to understand the games ONLY involve the PLAYERS! We the fans are only there to enjoy the game. Not overtake the game.

gobbler grad
02-05-2005, 05:32 PM
:eek: guess this could happen any where...enjoy the game and encourage kids to do their best...:clap:

PhiI C
02-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Some critics get very critical in a most unfriendly way.

superslyguy06
02-05-2005, 06:09 PM
well i suppose that vernonfan1 and i were watching separate games. it was a dirty game on BOTH sides, elbows were going both ways, but from what i saw both times it was the vernon players instigating the shoving. that is why the 2nd time when coach chamness held back one of our players was because a vernon player was swinging at one of ours. this is not to say that the graham players weren't playing just as physically, but that's JMO. i just wish that it wasnt all so ugly sometimes.

superslyguy06
02-05-2005, 06:56 PM
this isnt superslyguy this is just another G-town fan. At the game last night it was a very physical game both ways refs called it great for being such a physical game. Yea the #1 Graham Steers got beat on there home court fair and square, but Vernon was on fire last night there post was even hitting threes. The Steers missed alot of shots and free throws and turned the ball over more then usual the Vernon D was good but those were unforced T.O. A great game it was and we will probably meet again and the Steers will be on top of there game and it won't be close. Everyone knows the Lions can't hang in the Gym with the Steers. Great game and hope we see yall again in the playoffs. It will just be that much sweeter knocking vernon out of the playoffs again (i do recall them failing to make the postseason in football) thats off the subject anyway.

Now for the little incidents with the players on the court. THe first time it was just a foul under the basket and the vernon kid got up shoving b/c i guess he can't take a hard foul. ( we should have known this from football b/c favors and hall were always limping to the sidelines after being hit). As for the second incident yalls post took #24 down and shoved him into the ground and being the agressive hard nosed playa he is he got up and just got him off. and the classless Vernon players cleared the bench and some BIG MOMMA came out of the stands from Vernon. ANd you saying that you feel sorry for the mothers who raised there kids in Graham i would want to take that back. b/c we all know that Graham is way classier then Vernon ever will be. SO both ways last night but Vernon was the instigator last night and is always cocky and think they are better than everyone. Now for #5 and #40 (or Hall nice hair looked like a girl) ANd for you #5 aka: sleepy what a lukcy game you had and dont be so cocky about yourself you wont ever have a great game again. AND ALL I GOTTA SAY IS IT IS ABOUT TIME VERNON !!!!!!!!!!!!! G-town is Austin bound and vernon is Huntsville bound:)

LH Panther Mom
02-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Good grief, you Graham folks are awfully cocky.

Bandera YaYa
02-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I know alot of teams that ended up eating crow, talking like that...remember LHPantherMom??? :p

LH Panther Mom
02-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I know alot of teams that ended up eating crow, talking like that...remember LHPantherMom??? :p

Yes, I believe I do remember. :D

sahen
02-05-2005, 11:56 PM
people that act like that should not be allowed to breed.....
however that is just my opinion....

LH Panther Mom
02-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by sahen
people that act like that should not be allowed to breed.....
however that is just my opinion....

:clap: :clap:

VERNONLION#1
02-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by superslyguy06
this isnt superslyguy this is just another G-town fan. At the game last night it was a very physical game both ways refs called it great for being such a physical game. Yea the #1 Graham Steers got beat on there home court fair and square, but Vernon was on fire last night there post was even hitting threes. The Steers missed alot of shots and free throws and turned the ball over more then usual the Vernon D was good but those were unforced T.O. A great game it was and we will probably meet again and the Steers will be on top of there game and it won't be close. Everyone knows the Lions can't hang in the Gym with the Steers. Great game and hope we see yall again in the playoffs. It will just be that much sweeter knocking vernon out of the playoffs again (i do recall them failing to make the postseason in football) thats off the subject anyway.

Now for the little incidents with the players on the court. THe first time it was just a foul under the basket and the vernon kid got up shoving b/c i guess he can't take a hard foul. ( we should have known this from football b/c favors and hall were always limping to the sidelines after being hit). As for the second incident yalls post took #24 down and shoved him into the ground and being the agressive hard nosed playa he is he got up and just got him off. and the classless Vernon players cleared the bench and some BIG MOMMA came out of the stands from Vernon. ANd you saying that you feel sorry for the mothers who raised there kids in Graham i would want to take that back. b/c we all know that Graham is way classier then Vernon ever will be. SO both ways last night but Vernon was the instigator last night and is always cocky and think they are better than everyone. Now for #5 and #40 (or Hall nice hair looked like a girl) ANd for you #5 aka: sleepy what a lukcy game you had and dont be so cocky about yourself you wont ever have a great game again. AND ALL I GOTTA SAY IS IT IS ABOUT TIME VERNON !!!!!!!!!!!!! G-town is Austin bound and vernon is Huntsville bound:)

Your probably one of those kids that wore a white t-shirt to the game and just running at the mouth. Yes, your school and town should be prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed by law after the incident with Hirschi. Your school officials and your Parents mostly in my opinion are to blame for raising such racist children. Ok I will finish by saying I guess Coach Bourquin decided he needed to leave because I think for several years now you guys have not made it out of the first round. That's gotta stink. :o

superslyguy06
02-06-2005, 07:28 PM
first and foremost, the whole white shirt thing was in response to a ruling by our principals saying that some OTHER shirts that we made could not be worn. and just to clarify, those shirts we made said, and i quote,"we love everyone," and it had all the district mascots holding hands. where they got that those were offensive im not sure, but they said no, so about 2 hours before game time, some of the students got the idea to make the white ones. and just FYI, the white shirts said, and i quote: "we wore these shirts because we couldn't wear the others." and no, we didn't think like everyone else that the whole white/black thing would be brought up because sometimes we forget that we're a bunch of "racists."

oh, and BTW, id LOVE to know what law(s) we have broken in practicing our 1st amendment rights. cuz i GUARANTEE YOU THAT YOU CAN'T NAME A SINGLE ONE. i'm not quite sure what kind of laws they have up there in vernon, but in graham, we abide by the constitution.

p.s. and just so everyone knows, the only reason all of this got so blown out of proportion is because we've been beating eveyone in everything for the past 5 years and EVIDENTLY SOME PEOPLE just have to have something to complain about. it's always been like this and it always will be.

Adidas410s
02-06-2005, 08:26 PM
first and foremost, the whole white shirt thing was in response to a ruling by our principals saying that some OTHER shirts that we made could not be worn. and just to clarify, those shirts we made said, and i quote,"we love everyone," and it had all the district mascots holding hands. where they got that those were offensive im not sure, but they said no, so about 2 hours before game time, some of the students got the idea to make the white ones. and just FYI, the white shirts said, and i quote: "we wore these shirts because we couldn't wear the others." and no, we didn't think like everyone else that the whole white/black thing would be brought up because sometimes we forget that we're a bunch of "racists."

oh, and BTW, id LOVE to know what law(s) we have broken in practicing our 1st amendment rights. cuz i GUARANTEE YOU THAT YOU CAN'T NAME A SINGLE ONE. i'm not quite sure what kind of laws they have up there in vernon, but in graham, we abide by the constitution.

p.s. and just so everyone knows, the only reason all of this got so blown out of proportion is because we've been beating eveyone in everything for the past 5 years and EVIDENTLY SOME PEOPLE just have to have something to complain about. it's always been like this and it always will be.

What is right is not always legal and (in Graham's case) what is legal is not always right. Just because making racist marks isn't against the law doesn't mean that its ethical or ok to do so. Think about this before you go running your mouth so much...and for the record, big brother is always watching so don't let him down!

This thread is the epitomy of what goes in our society. We are a faultless, blameless society that is always looking to lay the blame on somebody else when something goes wrong...regardless of who was at fault. Let's look at the situation objectively:

Vernon kids are evidently a bunch of panzies because they don't like having people hitting them in a way that goes against the rules of the game. Yeah...something really wrong with that. Now I'm not going to take away from the parent who came onto the court because that is just plain ignorant and showing a lack of common sense on the part of the individual, NOT the town.

Graham kids are "cool, tough guys" because they win district (yet very little else) so its ok to act like an idiot when some commits a flagrant foul...regardless of its possible intent. They can't grasp the idea of "being the bigger person" and blowing it off and getting back to playing the game. Instead, they have a student fan base who all but encourages them to (and I know this will get edited) "make an ass" of themselves and the school by retalitating in a childish manner.

All in all, the entire incidient is quite ridiculous, as have the other things going on in Graham these days. Now to the charge of Graham parents being racists, that is just plain ridiclous for one, whether a student or parent, to come out and make this charge without any type of facts to back it up. Oh well, again it doesnt say anything about the people of Vernon, it just shows that another village idiot figured out how to get on the internet and post his/her thoughts and have a good laugh about it that he made derogatory comments about people that he/she knows nothing about.

Kids....let's please grow up and have objective discussions about 3a football and sports in general. However, this public forum is not a place for your junior high arguments over ridiculous, pointless, mindless crap. I'm glad this halftime show isn't overly exciting so that I had a few minutes to get on here and get my thoughts out...that being said, getting to hear some old James Bond theme music on the Super Bowl is more appealing than this childish argument so I will return to it now...

PS - Where did this thread say "Vernon/Graham basketball fight" in the thread or original post? K just checking...

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2005, 12:23 AM

Of course, I'll admit that we have a few cocky folks here as well. ;)

VWG
02-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Of course, I'll admit that we have a few cocky folks here as well. ;)

As I went through this post I was thinking the same thing.
No town in Texas can say they don't have their bad seeds.
There are idiots across the state.
When you win... be humble. When you lose, show respect and know the fact that you played hard and to the best of your ability.
I think basketball is the only sport where the fans and players are so close together that emotions spill on and off the court.
I see idiots in the stands at football games, basketball games, baseball games, etc.... and they are in EVERY TOWN.
Great win for the Lions. Congrats.
Let's all remember..... don't let the actions of a few condemn a whole community, because I haven't seen a town yet that doesn't have a few a-holes following their team.

TheDOCTORdre
02-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
PS - Where did this thread say "Vernon/Graham basketball fight" in the thread or original post? K just checking...
Nice point, I'm sure the guy who started this post didnt want to hear about the Graham and Vernon game. In fact I know this for a fact I started the thread:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Well I guess I'm just one of those village idiots and I feel obliged to give my 2 cents. (Sorry its a long one, trying to cover everyone's posts)

I wasn't at the game but I did listen to it on the radio. It did not surprise me one bit that the two teams got into a fight. What did surprise me was that Vernon was beating Graham. That may have led to the tension on Graham's part. May have-- I wasn't there so I don't know. But being the #1 team in the state and down to your rival that you always beat can heat up the most passive person.

On another front, the Graham fans have been terrible over the recent past. Terrible that is to the other team and the other teams fans. See the Times Record News article about the Hirschi incident. It was totally out of control last year at the area round when Vernon and Graham met. It has been fueled by the fact that Graham has dominated the district in most every sport for as long as the senior class has been in high school. The Steers just don't lose period. That is until the Football playoffs where the Steers have been about as unlucky as they have been lucky in district play.

Graham beat Vernon in basketball last year 3 times. Two of those wins came on buzzer beaters. So with that said, Vernon could have beat Graham just the same. Just the ball fell for the Steers as it has for 5 years running. That also resonates with those players two of which a poster pointed out (Favors and Hall). Both of those kids although may be a bit big headed are talented athletes. They both have UIL medals like the one in my signature that they earned while playing in the semi-final football game in 2003. Although they didn't make the playoffs this year, which was sad and a bit humbling I may add, they are proud athletes nonetheless. Then to be beaten up by Graham every year and in every sport and have the fans chanting at them well, you can see how this blew up.

I have complained about the Graham fans in the past and I know the only way to shut them up is to beat their team. That is what happened the other night. Vernon soundly beat the #1 team in the state in the Graham Steers. I was told after the game that the Graham fans were quiet. That is what has to happen to stop all the bad sportsmanship from Graham fans and players for that matter. But I'm not talking about 1 win. If Vernon, Hirschi, IP and Breck want to shut the Graham fans up then they have to not only compete with the Steers but regularly beat them.

I know my Graham friends (Yes I do have a few) may not think that the Graham fans are that bad, but they are. Of course there will always be the few knuckleheads that are poor sports. True class is winning tastefully. Graham's Fans have not done that in a while. (Snyder High School did that well this year in football). Also by not being a sore loser. I'm sure that IP and Vernon have both been sore losers over the recent past.

I would love to see another Graham / Vernon rematch in the playoffs like last year. It would be an opportunity to show each other that indeed both teams do have class.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2005, 10:15 PM

That would be Disorderly Conduct superslyguy.

Ok I named one even though you guaranteed that someone couldn't. And yes Disorderly Conduct is a crime in both Vernon and Graham. You may think you know your rights but I guess you don't.

Since I busted your balls like that so easy I won't even consider your posts worthy of serious reading from now on.

Spaceman_Spiff
02-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Z...it was a hotly contested game, and the Vernon kids just flat outplayed the Graham kids. It was a miracle that things didnt get crazier because of the way that both teams were going at it. It was an emotional win for the Lions, and an disappointing loss for the Steers.

I did get to see Matthew at the game, and it was great to talk to him for a few minutes. He seems to really be doing great up in Weatherford, OK. I asked him if you were there, but he said you werent able to make it, but that you were probably listening.

I second just about everything else you said in your post, and only have a couple of slight disagreements, but there is no need to say anything about those. Bottom line, congrats to the Lions, they played very well, with lots of intensity, and will be hard to ever beat playing at that level.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Yes Matt told me that he saw you at the game and you guys swaped war stories. He had a friend from school with him and his friend asked him if the atmosphere was like this at all the games and Matt said, no just Graham. Anyway, rivalries what can you say about them?

Both teams should do well in the playoffs. Of course I saw Graham take it to Vernon at home. Seemed like the Steers just out hustled Vernon the entire game that time. Basketball is so funny, sometimes the shots just fall and sometimes they don't.

That is why I like football much better!

Especially grind it out run over the other team style. I remember when Matt was a senior and we played Graham. I was on the sidelines taking pictures and the Steers were just driving the field. Those O-line guys were in the huddle and telling each other we got em...they can't stop us. Graham scored on that drive. I believe it was the first drive of the second half. Just good ol fashion smash mouth football that the other team couldn't do anything about.