PDA

View Full Version : I need the Godfather

AggieJohn
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey Phil...

as the sinton godfather i wanted to ask you a question. this is not riding the A&M/Texas Bandwagon. But has texas allways been as good at baseball as they currently our, and how do they match up against the aggies, how did bevo & co. do back during the SWC days. Give me a history if you would please.

AJ

SintonFan
02-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Hey Phil...

as the sinton godfather i wanted to ask you a question. this is not riding the A&M/Texas Bandwagon. But has texas allways been as good at baseball as they currently our, and how do they match up against the aggies, how did bevo & co. do back during the SWC days. Give me a history if you would please.

AJ
umm it's Sinton Godfather!:hairpunk:

PhiI C
02-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
umm it's Sinton Godfather!:hairpunk:

Actually I also capatalize the F. :)

SintonFan
02-03-2005, 10:22 PM
"GodFather"...
:)
sorry... i have sinned...

Bullaholic
02-03-2005, 10:38 PM
"GodFather"...
:)
sorry... i have sinned...

Don't stop the confessional there, SFan....let us know some of the "good" stuff. :D

PhiI C
02-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I had to do a little research and job my memory on the baseball question AggieJohn. Yes Texas has always done very well in baseball and ruled the Aggies in that sport as well as most teams. They reached the final national championships rounds for 18 straight years until 1996. They have won five national champions in baseball. I think the years are 1949, 1950, 1976 (I think), 1983 and 2002. They have been runner ups many times. They have had consistently top teams nearly every year even though in the 60s they had off years. I will have to do research on Bevo.

AggieJohn
02-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Disclaimer: The Bevo was a joke, not a jab

PhiI C
02-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Sorry about the misunderstanding. Bevo and company did very well in the SWC days in both football and baseball.

PhiI C
02-04-2005, 12:30 AM
A great game for the Aggies in football occurred in 1967. The Aggies hadn't beaten Texas since 1956. A Freer (my home town) Aggie Player named Buster Adami figured prominately on that team. He was a major surprise as a linebacker that year as a sophomore and was a starter for the Aggies for three years and became a successful lawyer. Anyway the Aggies made the big plays and were ahead 10 to 7 with Texas driving at the end of the game. Buster made a big interception which preserved the win. He was modest as he said "If I hadn't made the interception to stop them someone else would have done the job." He had also made a big interception that year against Texas Tech which helped the Aggies win the game. The Aggies were SWC champions that year and went on to the cotton bowl to beat Alabama. The Aggie Coach Gene Stallings had played under the Alabama Coach Bear Bryant. After the game Bryant hosted Stallings on his shoulders and carried him off the field.

Bandera YaYa
02-04-2005, 12:36 AM
Darn...I opened this thread,thinking it was about the movie! :p

PhiI C
02-04-2005, 12:47 AM
In 1963 Texas won the National Championship in football. Surprisedly their expected two toughest challengers was Oklahoma who was no. 1 when they played but Texas won 28 to 7 and also Navy was No. 2 when they played in the Cotton Bowl that Texas won 28 to 6. There toughest competition was with Southwest Conference schools with a 17 to 13 win over Arkansas, 10 to 6 over Rice, 17 to 12 over SMU and then the 7 to 0 win over Baylor that was saved when Texas made a last minute interception in it's end zone to perserve the win. But in all those games Texas never trailed and defenses dominated games in those days especially Texas who always seemed to have top defensive teams in the country. Their biggest scare ironically came against the Aggies in the last game of the season. The Aggies had not had a good year but came out ready to play. The game was in College Station and the field was sloopy because of a big rain the day before. Texas scored first to lead 3 to 0 but the Aggies scored on two big td passes and lead 13 to 3. Texas finally scored a td in the fouth quarter to narrow the lead 13 to 9. As the game neared the end Texas had to put in Tommy Wade at quarterback - Texas' best passer. He started throwing the ball and completing the passes. The Aggies three times had chances to intercept and probably put the game away. One time the Aggie defender had the ball in his hands but was unable to hold on and the ball fell incomplete. Another time an Aggie actually intercepted the ball but unwisely tried to lateral to another Aggie as he was hit and the ball feel to the ground enabling the Horns to recover the ball for a ten yard gain at about the twenty. Another pass was intercepted by an Aggie in his end zone but he juggled it and he ran out of bounds before he had control of the ball and an official right there on the play ruled it was incomplete. I had some friends that reviewed the films and confirmed that it was very close but that he was out of bounds when he finally controled the ball making it an incomplete pass. Wade completed another pass that went to the Aggie one with first and goal. The regular quarterback (Duke Carlisle) went into the game and scored the winning td with 79 seconds left in the game to give Texas a 15 to 13 win. A great comeback by Texas against a determined Aggie team that gave the National Champions every thing they had and almost pulled off the upset.

SintonFan
02-04-2005, 01:03 AM
You don't disappoint anyone with your answers do you GodFather?:)

PhiI C
02-04-2005, 01:08 AM
You don't disappoint anyone with your answers do you GodFather?:)

;)

SintonFan
02-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks!:cool:

PhiI C
02-04-2005, 01:23 AM
Thanks!:cool:

You are welcome! :)

AggieJohn
02-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Amazing

Phil C
05-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Buster Adami's younger brother played for Texas Tech in the early 1970s as Quarterback.

Phil C
05-31-2005, 11:00 AM
In 1969 Texas had three challenges in their quest for the National Championship in football which they won. The first was against Oklahoma in a hard fought game. Oklahoma made a late fumble and Texas used it to win 27 to 17. Oklahoma was undefeated at the time but after this game they collapsed and lost three more games. The second challenge was against Arkansas in which Texas came from behind to win 15 to 14. Arkansas lost an opportunity to put Texas in deep trouble by trying a pass from the Texas 10 which was intercepted. A field goal would have put Texas in trouble. The last challenge was in the Cotten Bowl against Notre Dame. Penn State was first choice but they chose to have fun in the sun and it was a costly decision because after their choice Michigan pulled a big upset on Ohio State which put Texas as No. 1 and Penn State could have chosen the cotten bowl to play for no. 1. Then they did they whinning act but they messed up. They were the cotton bowl's first choice but the Penn State Coach who did the whinning let his players choose the bowl. One time the coach messed up when he should have put his foot down but they had to live with it. Notre Dame was ahead 17 to 14 in the fourth quarter late. Texas got down to the Notre Dame 20 and had fourth and two and ran for it and by inches made the first down. Then on another fourth and 2 at about the 4 they went for it again and this time Street threw a pass to Cotton Spryer (spelling?) that got the first down at the two. Cotton had to made a diving catch to get it. From there Billy Dale ran it in and gave Texas the win 21 to 17 even though ND did make a drive at the end but Texas intercepted the ball and the game was won. Penn State also won their bowl game but had to live with No. 2 and even though the whole state whinned they got little sympathy from the rest of the country or polls since they had the option to play Texas but wanted that good old Miami sun. Tst Tst!

Old Green
05-31-2005, 12:35 PM
That's very good Phil.:clap:
I remember the 1969 season especially the win over Arkansas.

LH Panther Mom
05-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
That's very good Phil.:clap:
I remember the 1969 season especially the win over Arkansas.

I don't remember the whole season, mainly because I'm not a huge Horn fan. I do remember watching the Cotton Bowl at my grandfather's. Aunts and Uncles were there with their children. One aunt (the outlaw) had the gall to root for Notre Dame. I think I remember the 40 lashes more than the actual game. :D

Old Green
05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't remember the whole season, mainly because I'm not a huge Horn fan. I do remember watching the Cotton Bowl at my grandfather's. Aunts and Uncles were there with their children. One aunt (the outlaw) had the gall to root for Notre Dame. I think I remember the 40 lashes more than the actual game. :D :D :clap: :clap:

You Guys should have made her sit outside.:D

Phil C
05-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't remember the whole season, mainly because I'm not a huge Horn fan. I do remember watching the Cotton Bowl at my grandfather's. Aunts and Uncles were there with their children. One aunt (the outlaw) had the gall to root for Notre Dame. I think I remember the 40 lashes more than the actual game. :D

But you had the last laugh when Texas won! :)

Phil C
06-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Regarding the 1969 National Champion Texas Longhorns that caused many heads to turn was what Quarterback James Street did which was perfectly legal at the time under the NCAA rules. Still many people were upset. Back then the fall semester did not end until about two weeks after the Christmas and New Year's Day holidays. After the holiday break colleges returned to campus for about a week and half of studies and then final exams. Street played in the cotton bowl game and then a few days after the game withdrew from school. He enrolled in the spring and played on the UT baseball team. Many people howled but it was legal under the NCAA rules at the time. Of course now I think all the schools have it where the fall semester ends before the holiday breaks.

Phil C
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
In the 1960s the one thing that all the great teams besides Texas had was they had outstanding defenses and most teams that had outstanding defenses had success even with mediocre offenses. Defenses really dominated that decade and Texas had great success because of outstanding defenses in nearly all of the years in that decade. Defenses kept the other teams from scoring and also made turnovers and got their offenses in good field position many times. One team that Texas had was all defense in 1962. This team finished the season undefeated with only a tie with Rice blemishing their record (they did lose to LSU in the Cotton Bowl). This team was probably the most criticised undefeated team that ever played because they couldn't move the ball or get points on offense. They got just enough points to win games. The most that team gave up in a game was two tds. Two of the games that year were close with a 6 - 0 win over SMU and a 9 to 6 win over Oklahoma. The win over Oklahoma was obtained when Texas scored a td because of an OU fumble in it's end zone that Texas recovered. Texas also got a field goal because of a fumble by OU deep in OU territory. In fact OU made it close when they got a fumble in Texas territory and made a field goal. Both teams missed extra points. It was a great defensive struggle even though in the last three minutes Texas got its offense going and got deep into OU territory and may have made a td but Coach Royal had the team run the clock out to close the game out near the OU goal. The third game was a classic against Arkansas who was highly ranked. Arkansas was ahead 3 - 0 in the third quarter and had the ball deep in Texas territory. The running back got near the Texas goal and he was hit hard by two linebackers Pat Culpepper and Johnny Threadwell (two seniors) and fumbled the ball in the Texas endzone which Joe Dixon (who later won the Super Bowl with the Jets and Joe Namath) recovered. Late in the fouth quarter the Texas qbs started passing and moving the ball and with 39 seconds Tommy Ford made it over for the UT winning score 7 to 3. Everyone knew Texas would have a great team in 1963 (which they did winning the National Championship) and would have a shot at the national championship. The only concern was we had a sophomore coming up (freshmen couldn't play back then) at linebacker and everyone was concerned how he would do. We needn't have worred because he did just find. His name was Tommy Nobis who became one of the greatest linebackers for UT ever.

Phil C
01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
In 1963 Texas won the National Championship in football. Surprisedly their expected two toughest challengers was Oklahoma who was no. 1 when they played but Texas won 28 to 7 and also Navy was No. 2 when they played in the Cotton Bowl that Texas won 28 to 6. There toughest competition was with Southwest Conference schools with a 17 to 13 win over Arkansas, 10 to 6 over Rice, 17 to 12 over SMU and then the 7 to 0 win over Baylor that was saved when Texas made a last minute interception in it's end zone to perserve the win. But in all those games Texas never trailed and defenses dominated games in those days especially Texas who always seemed to have top defensive teams in the country. Their biggest scare ironically came against the Aggies in the last game of the season. The Aggies had not had a good year but came out ready to play. The game was in College Station and the field was sloopy because of a big rain the day before. Texas scored first to lead 3 to 0 but the Aggies scored on two big td passes and lead 13 to 3. Texas finally scored a td in the fouth quarter to narrow the lead 13 to 9. As the game neared the end Texas had to put in Tommy Wade at quarterback - Texas' best passer. He started throwing the ball and completing the passes. The Aggies three times had chances to intercept and probably put the game away. One time the Aggie defender had the ball in his hands but was unable to hold on and the ball fell incomplete. Another time an Aggie actually intercepted the ball but unwisely tried to lateral to another Aggie as he was hit and the ball feel to the ground enabling the Horns to recover the ball for a ten yard gain at about the twenty. Another pass was intercepted by an Aggie in his end zone but he juggled it and he ran out of bounds before he had control of the ball and an official right there on the play ruled it was incomplete. I had some friends that reviewed the films and confirmed that it was very close but that he was out of bounds when he finally controled the ball making it an incomplete pass. Wade completed another pass that went to the Aggie one with first and goal. The regular quarterback (Duke Carlisle) went into the game and scored the winning td with 79 seconds left in the game to give Texas a 15 to 13 win. A great comeback by Texas against a determined Aggie team that gave the National Champions every thing they had and almost pulled off the upset.

I had forgotten that there was also another unsung hero that came off the bench to help in this game. His name was Hix Green and he was a backup FB from 1962 to 1964. I think he played quite a bit in 1964. Even though he was a fb he was also a good receiver and he came off the bench with Tommy Wade and caught several key passes on that last drive.

Phil C
03-03-2006, 04:50 PM
ttt for my good friend Eagle6Fan.

Eagle6Man
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Duly noted. And thanks for the history lesson Phil.

Phil C
03-21-2006, 04:15 PM
In the 1963 game John Brotherton was the one that made the interception for the Aggies on UT's last drive with about 2 1/2 minutes left in the game. He lateraled the ball to Jim Willenborg who didn't expect it and was unable to hold the ball which hit the ground and took a crazy bounce that UT recovered to keep the drive alive. Many condemn him for making the pitchout but he has a point. If Willenborg had been able to get the ball he would have had a good chance to make the td and put it our of reached for the Aggies. The Aggies had a four point lead and with this td it would have put the game out of reach. Sometimes split decisions work and sometimes no. This was one of the no times.

The same thing happened with the Bush bumble in the Rose Bowl. If the person he lateraled too had hung on to the ball it would have been a sure td and given USC a 14 point lead.