PDA

View Full Version : I just realized that I am getting older

TheDOCTORdre
02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Let me clarify for those who are thinking "You're not old" I didnt say that I was old I just said that I was getting older. And for those of you who are thinking "You're just now realizing that you're getting older" thats not what I mean either. What I do mean is that I was sitting around watching ESPN and they were talking about Emmitt Smith retiring and such and the realization hit me that the players that I loved to watch as a child are alll nearly gone from the game, yes there are still a few, but before I know it all the players that were there when I was first introduced to football around the age of 5 or 6 will all be gone from the game. Its fun to watch the players that play now, but its not that same feeling of when I used to watch Dallas's big three, although I enjoy the players that are up and coming, I don not get that same childhood joy that I did when I watched Emmitt and thought of the days when I wanted to be like him. It is kind of sad, but a natural part of life and the game. Also, on a note that doesnt involve football, they are starting to shows like Full House on Nick @ Nite, now that makes me feel old, when shows I grew up watching are being put on Nick @ Nite

big daddy russ
02-02-2005, 04:09 PM
When I saw Dan Marino, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton and the Miami Dolphins going up against Derrick Thomas, Christian Okoye "The Nigerian Nightmare" and the rest of the Kansas City Chiefs... on ESPN Classic... I thought the same thing.

Snyder_TigerFan
02-02-2005, 04:21 PM
I guess the next step in the realization that you are getting older is when they most of the guys in the NFL are either around the same age as you or younger.

ej2525
02-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Please, you guys are just mere pups... I still remember my Dad mad about trading Dan Pastorini from the Oilers to the Raiders for Ken Stabler. :rolleyes: :D

Phil C
02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the club! :)

JasperDog94
02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
It's definitely an end of an era.:(

HighSchool Fan
02-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by ej2525
Please, you guys are just mere pups... I still remember my Dad mad about trading Dan Pastorini from the Oilers to the Raiders for Ken Stabler. :rolleyes: :D

i still remember roger staubach trying to hold back tears when he announced his retirement. does that make me old? :(

LH Panther Mom
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i still remember roger staubach trying to hold back tears when he announced his retirement. does that make me old? :(

Not as old as it makes me for remembering when Don Meredith retired. :(

LH Panther Mom
02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Let me clarify for those who are thinking "You're not old" I didnt say that I was old I just said that I was getting older. And for those of you who are thinking "You're just now realizing that you're getting older" thats not what I mean either. What I do mean is that I was sitting around watching ESPN and they were talking about Emmitt Smith retiring and such and the realization hit me that the players that I loved to watch as a child are alll nearly gone from the game, yes there are still a few, but before I know it all the players that were there when I was first introduced to football around the age of 5 or 6 will all be gone from the game. Its fun to watch the players that play now, but its not that same feeling of when I used to watch Dallas's big three, although I enjoy the players that are up and coming, I don not get that same childhood joy that I did when I watched Emmitt and thought of the days when I wanted to be like him. It is kind of sad, but a natural part of life and the game. Also, on a note that doesnt involve football, they are starting to shows like Full House on Nick @ Nite, now that makes me feel old, when shows I grew up watching are being put on Nick @ Nite

:crying: I have a son older than you, but this made me feel old. I'd be excited to have the shows I watched growing up being on Nick @ Nite.....the ones I grew up with are all on TVLand. :( As far as pro players I grew up with, many of the names wouldn't be recognizable to the younger crowd. I watched Testaverde play when he was still in college & I was grown at the time.

Bullaholic
02-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

Wait til' you get to the age when you know more people "Up yonder" than you do "down here", Dre.

lobo12
02-02-2005, 05:03 PM
i know what you mean, the fresh prince of bel air is also on there and that makes me feel old. used to watch that show all the time growing up

ej2525
02-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

That's the same year I am talking about... so, we may be in about the same boat as far as age is concerned. :eek:

setex
02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Am I old because I road my bike to practice, used wooden bats, had to stomach my sister as the team sweetheart, watch Mr Jordan blow many calls at the plate in his work clothes with name tag on the front, or some dad from our team at 1st if we were in that dugout and the opposing team's dad at 3rd on there dug out side, blow just as many.

Am I old, when the team was picked as what class you were in at elementary, Mrs Smith's class on the Reds, Mrs Jones class on the Dodgers. The uniforms were tee shirts, the pants were levis, am I old.

LH Panther Mom
02-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by setex
Am I old because I road my bike to practice, used wooden bats, had to stomach my sister as the team sweetheart, watch Mr Jordan blow many calls at the plate in his work clothes with name tag on the front, or some dad from our team at 1st if we were in that dugout and the opposing team's dad at 3rd on there dug out side, blow just as many.

Am I old, when the team was picked as what class you were in at elementary, Mrs Smith's class on the Reds, Mrs Jones class on the Dodgers. The uniforms were tee shirts, the pants were levis, am I old.

Yes, you are. :D (Don't worry....so am I.)

big daddy russ
02-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I guess the next step in the realization that you are getting older is when they most of the guys in the NFL are either around the same age as you or younger. Not exactly the same, but about two or three years ago I realized that I was older than all of the Los Angeles Clippers by at least two months. Dang we're old.;)

Black_Magic
02-02-2005, 06:16 PM
I remember Tony Dorsett, Danny White, Randy White,as my childhood heros of the cowboys when I was 10-12 ish.... those were the days. And I remember when The TE for the 49ers caught the ball in the endzone to beat my team:( I didnt know it was the event than would mean an end to one dynasty and the begining to another.

Ranger Mom
02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
After the retirement news came out yesterday, my husband was in deep mourning for the rest of day!!

HighSchool Fan
02-02-2005, 06:42 PM
i can't wait to announce my retirement :D