PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&I vs Hawaii in football history.

Phil C
02-01-2005, 12:36 PM
The teams met twice and this was when the Texas A&I Hogs were not Texas A&M University at Kingsville. One of the Hawaii faculty members was from UT (and this was when Texas and Darrell Royal were having glory years in the 60s). Texas A&I went to Hawaii for two years and beat Hawaii by one sided margins. When the faculty member from UT heard about the schedule he is quoted as telling the Hawaii Athletic Director "Why did you schedule that school (Texas A&I)? Darrell Royal wouldn't play those guys for anything in the world!"

pirate44
02-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The teams met twice and this was when the Texas A&I Hogs were not Texas A&M University at Kingsville. One of the Hawaii faculty members was from UT (and this was when Texas and Darrell Royal were having glory years in the 60s). Texas A&I went to Hawaii for two years and beat Hawaii by one sided margins. When the faculty member from UT heard about the schedule he is quoted as telling the Hawaii Athletic Director "Why did you schedule that school (Texas A&I)? Darrell Royal wouldn't play those guys for anything in the world!"
:clap: the great Gil Steinke was coach back then, Phil. He started coaching in 1954 and by 1959 he claimed the first of six national NAIA championships, three of them consecutively, for A&I. In 1977, his final year the team completed a 39 game winning streak which was the longest active one in the nation, at that time.

Phil C
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
:clap: the great Gil Steinke was coach back then, Phil. He started coaching in 1954 and by 1959 he claimed the first of six national NAIA championships, three of them consecutively, for A&I. In 1977, his final year the team completed a 39 game winning streak which was the longest active one in the nation, at that time.

I was working on my master's degree at that time Pirate. In fact he retired in 1976 when the team had won 39 straight games. Coach Jonas took over in 1977 and the streak got up to 44 games before a 25 to 25 tie with Abilene Christian stopped the streak and next week East Texas State beat the Hogs 7 to 6. This was the closest that any team came to Oklahoma's 47 game win streak.

pirate44
02-01-2005, 02:45 PM
i know of Coach Steinke a little, but i wonder if people who havent gone to A&I are familiar with this man. i may be biased, but in my opinion he was one of the greatest college football coaches. He was also a great college player as well as a pretty good pro player. desgregation was going on at that time, and he would never let his team seperate. even when the black athletes were refused stay in certain hotels, he would leave and only stay where his team could be together.

pirate44
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I was working on my master's degree at that time Pirate. In fact he retired in 1976 when the team had won 39 straight games. Coach Jonas took over in 1977 and the streak got up to 44 games before a 25 to 25 tie with Abilene Christian stopped the streak and next week East Texas State beat the Hogs 7 to 6. This was the closest that any team came to Oklahoma's 47 game win streak.
what a great time to be a hoggie. definately the glory years!!

Phil C
02-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Pirate it was a great time. I had went to work for a few years before working on my masters but I caught the last full year of the win streak in 1976. Steinke was one of the finest small town coaches I think there ever was. I was always surprised that none of the bigger schools ever got him but I have heard that he liked being at the small school at Texas A&I. He went to Ganado High School and then Texas A&I so maybe it was easy to just stay at his alma mater when he went into coaching. He also played a few years for Philadelphia. I have heard that he was approached that he could have at one had the Baylor and the Texas A&M jobs and probably others but he liked being at the smaller school. He was great at recruiting - especially the Houston area.

PurpleFreddy
02-01-2005, 03:11 PM
East Texas also broke Pittsburg (Kan.) State's 56-game regular-season winning streak back in 1991 in a great game at Commerce.

Don't let the powers-that-be know that you called it Texas A&M at Kingsville. They'll have a cow. FYI, it's Texas A&M-Kingsville (and Texas A&M-Commerce).

They asked if I wanted to change my diploma from ETSU. I could only laugh.

pirate44
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
East Texas also broke Pittsburg (Kan.) State's 56-game regular-season winning streak back in 1991 in a great game at Commerce.

Don't let the powers-that-be know that you called it Texas A&M at Kingsville. They'll have a cow. FYI, it's Texas A&M-Kingsville (and Texas A&M-Commerce).

A&I till i die:D

Phil C
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM

Mine still says Texas A&I. :)

PurpleFreddy
02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
True story:

Our old offensive line coach, C.W. "Boley" Crawford, who also coached golf at ETSU, retired from football and became the "color" guy on the football broadcasts.

Well, sometime in the late 80s, during a break in the action of a Javelina-Lion game, Boley turned to play-by-play man Rich Reneau and asked, "Rich, you ever wonder what that A&I stands for in Texas A&I?"
"Yeah, coach, I have," Reneau unwittingly replied.
"Apes and idiots, Rich!" Boley laughed. Old Boley wasn't too PC.

pirate44
02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
True story:

Our old offensive line coach, C.W. "Boley" Crawford, who also coached golf at ETSU, retired from football and became the "color" guy on the football broadcasts.

Well, sometime in the late 80s, during a break in the action of a Javelina-Lion game, Boley turned to play-by-play man Rich Reneau and asked, "Rich, you ever wonder what that A&I stands for in Texas A&I?"
"Yeah, coach, I have," Reneau unwittingly replied.
"Apes and idiots, Rich!" Boley laughed. Old Boley wasn't too PC.
pretty colorful:mad: :D
musta been after Johnny Baily scored another TD. :D

PurpleFreddy
02-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah, or Heath Sherman.

But, you have to admit, A&I did have a reputation for recruiting a certain element.

pirate44
02-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, or Heath Sherman.

But, you have to admit, A&I did have a reputation for recruiting a certain element.
no comment.

Vrabird
02-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Does anybody remember Coach Steinke coaching the game from the press box. He stated he could see the plays develop better from that angle. Only head coach that I've ever heard of doing that. Had him for an instructor in several classes when I was attending A&I. He had a very sharp mind and put it to great use on the field. By the way Bailey and Sherman played at A&I in the late 70's and early 80's.

pirate44
02-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Vrabird
By the way Bailey and Sherman played at A&I in the late 70's and early 80's.
'fraid not Vrabird. mid-late '80s. in fact Johnny was drafted in 1990 and Heath in 1989.
you sure your not thinking of the great Darrell Green?

mikecheck
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Saying from back in those days. "Go to UT and go to the Cotton Bowl, Go to A&I and go to the Pro Bowl".

pirate44
02-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by mikecheck
Saying from back in those days. "Go to UT and go to the Cotton Bowl, Go to A&I and go to the Pro Bowl".
:thumbsup:

Phil C
02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Does anybody remember Coach Steinke coaching the game from the press box. He stated he could see the plays develop better from that angle. Only head coach that I've ever heard of doing that. Had him for an instructor in several classes when I was attending A&I. He had a very sharp mind and put it to great use on the field. By the way Bailey and Sherman played at A&I in the late 70's and early 80's.

I never saw it Vra but he was known to once in a while go up to the press box and even once in a while sit in the stands. He claimed he could see more of what was going on the field up there. But I never saw him go up in the stands or press box but others have said they have seen him do it.

PurpleFreddy
02-02-2005, 10:53 AM
The best thing about the press box were the fajitas the SID supplied to all of us ... wrapped and stored in a large warming box. Mmmmmmm.

mikecheck
02-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Our Superintendent just started that this year in our Press box. They furnish fajita wraps, sausage wraps, ice-chest of sodas and water. The opposing coaches sure get a treat while they are up there with us, since there is only three of us that work up there. Win or lose it was always, "Thanks for the grub". Oh yeah and at half time the Maintenance Director always shows up with Popcorn. Also asks us to put a plug in for the concession stand. I think I am spoiled.

big daddy russ
02-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Does anybody remember Coach Steinke coaching the game from the press box. He stated he could see the plays develop better from that angle. Only head coach that I've ever heard of doing that.... I agree completely. When I was a sports reporter down there I'd always sit in the press box. I could get a better feel for where the play was going and I could also see the other side of the field. I know most head coaches like the field, but quite a few OC's and DC's have started sitting up in the crow's nest.

Ray_BearKat
02-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Its Texas A&M University - Kingsville...

PurpleFreddy
02-02-2005, 03:51 PM
well, I think the "University" is understood ...
I guess I was trying to convey that it wasn't Texas A&M at Kingsville.

I miss the old Lone Star Conference, with SFA, SWT and SHSU.

Phil C
02-02-2005, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
[B]I guess I was trying to convey that it wasn't Texas A&M at Kingsville.

But Kingsville is where it is at!!! :D