PDA

View Full Version : Enough of the college football

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
someone has to have something else to talk about.

Bulldog_12
02-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Well, I dont know if you heard, but Martellus Bennet signed with the Aggies. :D Well, its Tuesday. Illinois plays Michigan St. tonight. I predict that Mich. st. pulls out the win.

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2005, 12:39 PM
i'm gonna try and make this my college post for awhile...it's sad that people think that just a tight end is gonna lead someone to greatness.

District303aPastPlayer
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i'm gonna try and make this my college post for awhile...it's sad that people think that just a tight end is gonna lead someone to greatness.
the point of my earlier post

big daddy russ
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
i'm gonna try and make this my college post for awhile...it's sad that people think that just a tight end is gonna lead someone to greatness. Kellen Winslow did nothing for Dan Fouts.:D :D :D

Bulldog_12
02-01-2005, 12:46 PM
So hows the weather everywhere? It sucks here.

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Kellen Winslow did nothing for Dan Fouts.:D :D :D

and they won what.

big daddy russ
02-01-2005, 01:05 PM
and they won what. The greatest game ever, duh. Well, they didn't make it so a Superbowl, but they came darn close twice and were considered one of the elite teams in the NFL during the early 80's after being the joke of the League through most of the 70's. Dan Fouts was just a good QB back in the early- to late-70's, but became a true HOFer when Winslow hopped aboard during the 79 season. After all, that's the season that the Chargers turned the corner and since we're not talking about championships, just elite teams, I think that counts.

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
The greatest game ever, duh. Well, they didn't make it so a Superbowl, but they came darn close twice and were considered one of the elite teams in the NFL during the early 80's after being the joke of the League through most of the 70's. Dan Fouts was just a good QB back in the early- to late-70's, but became a true HOFer when Winslow hopped aboard during the 79 season.

the greatest game ever? so they won the greatest game ever, how did that help them win a championship? oh, it didn't. dang close? are ya playing horseshoes or football?

big daddy russ
02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
...it's sad that people think that just a tight end is gonna lead someone to greatness. I'd classify greatness as winning the Rose Bowl. Wouldn't you? Did this year's Rose Bowl champion win a National Championship? How about a conference championship?

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I'd classify greatness as winning the Rose Bowl. Wouldn't you? Did this year's Rose Bowl champion win a National Championship? How about a conference championship?

greatness is going undefeated and winnnig the national championship. being better than average is what texas was last year.

big daddy russ
02-01-2005, 01:21 PM
greatness is going undefeated and winnnig the national championship. being better than average is what texas was last year. Auburn went undefeated, had as good a year as USC (and in a tougher conference) but didn't win a National Championship. Still, they won the Sugar Bowl and were the team Norm Chow was quoted as saying "he didn't want to play." Were they great?

HighSchool Fan
02-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Auburn went undefeated, had as good a year as USC (and in a tougher conference) but didn't win a National Championship. Still, they won the Sugar Bowl and were the team Norm Chow was quoted as saying "he didn't want to play." Were they great?

ok, any team that goes undefeated should be classified as a great team.

big daddy russ
02-01-2005, 01:39 PM
ok, any team that goes undefeated should be classified as a great team. Fair enough. I think most A&M fans just like the fact that the pieces are in place. They haven't had top-10 recruiting classes the past four years, but have brought in star recruits at different positions to make it a solid team. Three years ago, it was Reggie, Jaxson Appel, the core of today's O-Line, and the core of the receivers. Then two years ago, it was the Jasper bunch (Jorrie Adams and Red Bryant... both linemen), D-Lineman Chris Harrington, their DBs, Courtney Lewis (RB), and Justin Warren (LB) from Tyler. Last year, they again focused on the O-Line, picked up an awesome JUCO receiver along with a couple of stud JUCO LBs, and got McGee to be their QB of the future. Now that they have Bennett, the pieces are in place. Not that Bennett alone can get them over the hump, he just gives them that last weapon to make the Ags legitimate. But having the weapons and having them perform are two different monsters. Moral victories don't add up to wins, but it's still nice to look at what you have and think that your team is a legitimate contender for the conference title. And when your conference is the Big XII a shot at the conference title typically means a shot at the National Title.

Jody
02-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Well, I dont know if you heard, but Martellus Bennet signed with the Aggies. :D Well, its Tuesday. Illinois plays Michigan St. tonight. I predict that Mich. st. pulls out the win.

That was funny! :clap:

whereugo
02-01-2005, 08:35 PM
college football is the next step - why not talk about it - it's the eve of a huge college/football day ... and it's all about football. Well, I guess maybe signing day is not a big deal at some high schools ... oh, well ... it's a huge deal in some parts of the world - trust me

LH Panther Mom
02-01-2005, 11:32 PM
But having the weapons and having them perform are two different monsters.

This, in a nutshell, I believe is the point of all the non-Aggies. ;)

GreenMonster
02-02-2005, 01:53 AM

Troy Aikman might have been just another QB without Jay Novacek. Did you happen to notice that as soon as ole Jay retired the Cowboys stopped winning Super Bowls?

big daddy russ
02-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
This, in a nutshell, I believe is the point of all the non-Aggies. ;) And it would be a good point if A&M had all those weapons. Let's see how they do next year.

LH Panther Mom
02-02-2005, 07:17 AM
And it would be a good point if A&M had all those weapons. Let's see how they do next year.

Most definitely.... My point was the impression I get from some of the fans is that the signing of one or two blue-chip recruits means 100% turn-around of the program, enough to win the championship & be national contender. Sure they had a good recuiting class & have every right to whoop it up (jeez, I can't believe I just said that), but Bennet is ONE player. If his speaking ability is indicative of his academic standard, he may just be ineligible for bofe sports.

When they're beating the big boys consistently, and having winning seasons year in & year out, that will be a sign that the hoopla over ONE guy was worth it.

big daddy russ
02-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I concur.

WOS1
02-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Fair enough. I think most A&M fans just like the fact that the pieces are in place. They haven't had top-10 recruiting classes the past four years, but have brought in star recruits at different positions to make it a solid team. Three years ago, it was Reggie, Jaxson Appel, the core of today's O-Line, and the core of the receivers. Then two years ago, it was the Jasper bunch (Jorrie Adams and Red Bryant... both linemen), D-Lineman Chris Harrington, their DBs, Courtney Lewis (RB), and Justin Warren (LB) from Tyler. Last year, they again focused on the O-Line, picked up an awesome JUCO receiver along with a couple of stud JUCO LBs, and got McGee to be their QB of the future. Now that they have Bennett, the pieces are in place. Not that Bennett alone can get them over the hump, he just gives them that last weapon to make the Ags legitimate. But having the weapons and having them perform are two different monsters. Moral victories don't add up to wins, but it's still nice to look at what you have and think that your team is a legitimate contender for the conference title. And when your conference is the Big XII a shot at the conference title typically means a shot at the National Title.

Don't forget about Kerry Franks last year who scored 3 TD's as a true freshman, the fastest player on the Aggie roster. He will be tough to defend next year.

I, also, agree that school is still out on the Aggie recruits and whether they will be able to make an immediate impact. However, I can also see where the Aggie faithful would be excited. The building of a program is done one player at a time and getting the best in the country at his particular position ain't bad.

LH Panther Mom
02-02-2005, 05:22 PM
I concur.

My sadness is that I have no one to crow about. :(