PDA

View Full Version : A little 3A baseball talk

Old Cardinal
01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
ACE PITCHERS: The Texas High School Coaches Association has one 2004 All State Sophomore Pitcher-- Kevin Angelle-- so that makes him the only "Junior" All-Stater taking the mound this year. He is good but is backed by a good rotation at Bridge City. I think that maybe folks are overlooking another great pitcher in Nick Ayers another Star National high-bracket Select team pitcher who will be a Junior at West Orange-Stark this season. Nick has a whole list of great accomplishments in his young career.
OTHER THOUGHTS:
WO-S will make noise in 3A having dropped down from an incredible 4A winning district; where they hung pretty tight. At WO-S, Brad Becker will be a Senior next year , he was an All-State infielder as a 4A Junior last year.
The raw fact is that in Region III 4A Little Cypress-Mauriceville and Port Neches-Groves(from the same District) vanquishers the self-touted coastal 4A schools and ended up playing each other on up the Regional Bracket ladder. The only real competitions that they faced in their quest: were the warmups with SE TX 3As and the stout other teams in their own District.
I look for the possibility that the Region III playoff games in both 3A and 4A will be comprised of teams from the overall general SE Texas area.
I look for the State Championship 3A team to again this year be from Region III but which of these great teams it will be is surely a toss-up at this time.

HighSchool Fan
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
WO-S will make noise in 3A having dropped down

oh no, just when my ears quit ringing from all the noise they made in football :D

Rabbit'93
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
OC you need to rename your title: "A little Reg. III baseball talk";) :D

Old Cardinal
01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
To HS Fan: I thing you would like the Mustang baseball team. They are not the tawding, arrogant, bragging types that the other WO-S folks has been accursed of sometimes fielding in other sports. Their girls softball team have great sportsmanship also, Randy Ragsdale sees to that.
That must be hard to take in football to be rated as #1 in many post season polls and finding themselves fighting for their lives in overtime to win the District crown and then being bopped out of the playoffs by an unheralded Huffman-Hargraves Div. I team. It was bad enough that they shut down their website the night they were tied in overtime by Bridge City.

Astrosdawg07
01-31-2005, 08:25 PM
It was bad enough that they shut down their website the night they were tied in overtime by Bridge City.

What...

setex
01-31-2005, 08:39 PM
I look for the possibility that the Region III playoff games in both 3A and 4A will be comprised of teams from the overall general SE Texas area.

Old Card

What's your opinion of the 2 teams that went the farthest in the play offs last year in Reg III, Jasper and Hamshire Fannett?

football4life
01-31-2005, 08:54 PM
im not sure about region I, the only teams i know of are perryton, who i think is pre-season #1, and we should be stout here in canyon as in the past couple years. havent heard anything from graham or the snyders of the region.

Old Cardinal
01-31-2005, 09:12 PM
To SETX: As you know it ended up Lorena(2003 State Champion), LaGrange, Jasper, Columbus as the final 4. Anyone of the final 8 would have been the Champ, I would guess. Jasper had a lot of key losses. I saw them play last year they were very good! I think they are definately in the hunt but not nearly as strong as last year at several positions. H-F is quite interesting, I saw them play a lot of tournment games and was not impressed that much. They lost the District and most would have predicted an early exit but somehow they began to get a very stable club in the post season. Chris Clothworth is one of the best utility players in 3A and a great team leader. I don't see them as a District winner this year but they can put a good Houdini act together sometimes in post season.
I think Perryton being #1 is just wishful thinking. When it shakes out it will again be either Region III or possibly Region IV just like a lot of other years.

XMan
01-31-2005, 10:17 PM
I for one vote that Bridge City is the #1 most hyped, over rated team not only in their region but also in the whole of the state class A thru 5A. Im so tired of hearing about them and Kevin Angelle and all his strikeouts. How bout lets give Bridge City a rest until they win a playoff series or two. I dont want to hear anything else about how Sam Moore has got them all throwing 90 plus. Sam Moore was a freakin lineman at McNeese State, what made him a baseball expert??? I love baseball more than 99% of the people on here and love talking about it, but lets give Bridge City a rest. One last thing, no one that has anything to do with High School Baseball cares about select ball. Select ball is pay to play daddy ball that doesnt count for anything. Now that the season has started lets let the teams and players do their talking on the field. Just my opinion.

X

Old Cardinal
01-31-2005, 10:56 PM
X Man: That has got to be one of the most inaccurate post ever placed on this board! HS means almost nothing in girls softball and now boys BB when it comes to schlorship searches. I have sat, at say, the Girls 18 & U Nationals several years in Beaumont and was surrounded by scouts from many colleges from many states. YOU CAN"T WIN H.S. GAMES without a percentage of these dedicated near year round players--period.
All the teams winning the Districts year in an year out have more than their share! As for BC, since 1992 they have had a very good record each year.

WOS#74
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
XMAN
Sam Moore was never a lineman for McNeese. You have your facts all wrong.
And to ask what he knows about baseball, shows everybody on here that you know NOTHING!!!!

Old Cardinal
02-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Right on #74! Sam Moore is a baseballer deluxe. Line for line that post is a bunch of hooey!

CRHSeagle
02-01-2005, 02:22 AM
First day of practice!!! Man, our team is lookin really good this year.

Jody
02-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
oh no, just when my ears quit ringing from all the noise they made in football :D

"Now I don't care who your are, that there is funny"......:D :clap:

AP Panther Fan
02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Woo Hoo....just looked at thsbmag.com and my son is listed as a soph/jr player to watch!:eek: :D :D

Aransas Pass isn't listed as a team to keep your eye on, but Sinton is up there as well as Matt Trujillo being a Senior player to watch!:thumbsup:

District303aPastPlayer
02-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Woo Hoo....just looked at thsbmag.com and my son is listed as a soph/jr player to watch!:eek: :D :D

Aransas Pass isn't listed as a team to keep your eye on, but Sinton is up there as well as Matt Trujillo being a Senior player to watch!:thumbsup:

isnt a sinton pitcher always up there :rolleyes:

too muhc pressure if ya ask me

jason
02-01-2005, 10:15 AM
geez, who's gonna represent region 2 now that forney is gone...

AP Panther Fan
02-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I think some recognition is nice since we get so little of it in South Texas.;)

District303aPastPlayer
02-01-2005, 10:18 AM
I think some recognition is nice since we get so little of it in South Texas.;)

i blame the caler times...

and nowthat i think about it we have had a great string of pitchers... Hartung, Cortez, Alaniz, G, Trujillo, and that goes back to about 96 i believe

AP Panther Fan
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i blame the caler times...

and nowthat i think about it we have had a great string of pitchers... Hartung, Cortez, Alaniz, G, Trujillo, and that goes back to about 96 i believe

I agree....Sinton ALWAYS has a good team! ;)

VWG
02-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Region I will have a strong Lubbock Cooper squad. They've won district something like the past 9-10 years in a row. Most of their dist. wins are by 10 run rule. They lost a good pitcher last year who signed with Texas Tech. They should be able to hit the ball out of the park with a potent offense, but they will need to find some kids to replace what they lost on the mound.
Perryton is in my opinion overrated. They lost a really, really good catcher who was drafted, think his name was Creswell. He had super numbers and was a key to their offense. With him out of the lineup I don't see who can replace those numbers, so the ratings they are getting are a little overblown.
Canyon is good year in and year out. Just plug in new faces and they will get the job done.
Iowa Park could be a sleeper team to watch. They've got a strong program, and are always in the playoffs. They have some good kids coming back (Swenson and Fulfer) and a good pitcher as well.
Graham will only be middle of the road. Lost too many seniors from last year, and their pitching will be suspect. Should be in the playoffs though.
I really like Decatur to make some noise. They were a young group last year, even had a freshman starting. If they can get good pitching to go along with their "seasoned youth" in the field they can make a run to Austin this year.

XMan
02-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Hmmmmmm, I could be all wrong, and that has happened before (back in the 70s) but the Sam Moore that used to be the baseball coach at Bridge City and is the cousin of Kevin Angelle himself was at McNeese State in the early 90s as a football player. Now Im sure there is more than one Sam Moore out there and I could have the wrong one but I dont think so. The guy im talking about is a big man, 6'3 or so, with blonde hair, bout 35. Is this the guy or not?

setex
02-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Hmmmmmm, I could be all wrong, and that has happened before (back in the 70s) but the Sam Moore that used to be the baseball coach at Bridge City and is the cousin of Kevin Angelle himself was at McNeese State in the early 90s as a football player. Now Im sure there is more than one Sam Moore out there and I could have the wrong one but I dont think so. The guy im talking about is a big man, 6'3 or so, with blonde hair, bout 35. Is this the guy or not?

Xman, being from SETEX everyone knows Sam Moore never set foot in uniform on college football field. Now, his brother did at McNeese.

SinTon_Boi_32
02-01-2005, 08:43 PM
I READ MOODY IS 2ND IN THE NATION THIS YR.

XMan
02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Well, my bad. Evidently I have the wrong Moore brother in mind. What was the name of the one that played football at McNeese?

WOS1
02-10-2005, 04:26 PM
To HS Fan: I thing you would like the Mustang baseball team. They are not the tawding, arrogant, bragging types that the other WO-S folks has been accursed of sometimes fielding in other sports. Their girls softball team have great sportsmanship also, Randy Ragsdale sees to that.
That must be hard to take in football to be rated as #1 in many post season polls and finding themselves fighting for their lives in overtime to win the District crown and then being bopped out of the playoffs by an unheralded Huffman-Hargraves Div. I team. It was bad enough that they shut down their website the night they were tied in overtime by Bridge City.

OC that is Waaaay to funny....

WOS1
02-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Well, my bad. Evidently I have the wrong Moore brother in mind. What was the name of the one that played football at McNeese?

X, I grew up with the Moore brothers so you can bet the house that I know what I'm talking about. Mike Moore played defensive tackle for McNeese until he got hurt. Sam Moore never put a college football Jersey on, nor did he ever go to McNeese until he completed his degree in the late 90's. Sam played baseball and football in highschool, but was damn good at one of them and that was baseball. Sam played baseball for 4 years at Louisiana Tech and had an outstanding career with them. He took his first coaching job at Iowa LA and got that program turned around before leaving for a couple of other small LA highschools before coming to LCM as an asst coach under Griff. He then got the head job at WO-S then BC before becoming a "professional" coach.

I'm not telling you all this as a history lesson, but I'm really offended by your questioning his coaching ability. I grew up playing ball with him and know of his knowledge of this game. He may not know a lot, but he knows plenty about the game of baseball. Don't ever doubt that.

44INAROW
02-10-2005, 04:57 PM

woohoo.. Gives you goose bumps doesn't it :D

My son's bout to have a fit waiting for Weds the 16th to get here so he can practice baseball. Only 2 more basketball games to go :clap:

AP Panther Fan
02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
woohoo.. Gives you goose bumps doesn't it :D

My son's bout to have a fit waiting for Weds the 16th to get here so he can practice baseball. Only 2 more basketball games to go :clap:

Sure does!:D

Our baseball team is pretty much together practicing now (as of last Monday). I think we only have one player on the basketball team that we will be waiting for.

We only had two football players that played basketball.

Strange thing is almost every baseball player played football as well. Wonder if that is common in most communities?:thinking:

Hannibal
02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Glad to hear that Junior is finally getting recognized. He should be a dominate force this year. He is much stronger than last year and has the experience to take the team quite a ways in the playoffs this year. If the other pitcher can stay out of trouble, AP will have a very potent 1-2 punch on the mound with the lefty to come in as relief if needed. I think that they are the team that Sinton will have the most respect for this year. Also, they have a damn good coach who has the experience to make them great.

AP Panther Fan
02-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Hannibal
Glad to hear that Junior is finally getting recognized. He should be a dominate force this year. He is much stronger than last year and has the experience to take the team quite a ways in the playoffs this year. If the other pitcher can stay out of trouble, AP will have a very potent 1-2 punch on the mound with the lefty to come in as relief if needed. I think that they are the team that Sinton will have the most respect for this year. Also, they have a damn good coach who has the experience to make them great.

Thanks Hannibal and I have a feeling I should thank you for that extra recognition. ;)

Jr. is weighing 205 lbs! Can you believe it? I took him to the Doc last week and thought their scales were wrong!:rolleyes: He has been kickin' butt and taking names in the off-season weight lifting.

The other pitcher is strong and doing really well so far! Our lefty was in the hospital earlier this week with pneumonia, but is on the road to recovery. We also have several other kids that are doing a great job pitching.

The entire team is looking really good and I hope that we prove to be some tough competition for Sinton and Ingleside. Should be a great season for District 30-3A!

:D

Wtx_coach
02-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by football4life
im not sure about region I, the only teams i know of are perryton, who i think is pre-season #1, and we should be stout here in canyon as in the past couple years. havent heard anything from graham or the snyders of the region.

The Snyder tournament will be able to show who is the top contender for region 1- I know Perryton, Abilene Wylie, Snyder, Pecos, Lubbock Cooper and i think you guys are going to be there, its going to be a great tournament!

pirate4state
02-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks Hannibal and I have a feeling I should thank you for that extra recognition. ;)

Jr. is weighing 205 lbs! Can you believe it? I took him to the Doc last week and thought their scales were wrong!:rolleyes: He has been kickin' butt and taking names in the off-season weight lifting.

The other pitcher is strong and doing really well so far! Our lefty was in the hospital earlier this week with pneumonia, but is on the road to recovery. We also have several other kids that are doing a great job pitching.

The entire team is looking really good and I hope that we prove to be some tough competition for Sinton and Ingleside. Should be a great season for District 30-3A!

:D
Is this the son I met in San Antonio?? Only tough competition for Sinton & Ingleside? :D Aren't there 2 other teams in the district? :thinking: :D :D I can't wait for the season to get under way. Varisty squad has a scrimmage (weather permitting) in GP this Saturday according to the San Pat News.

Phil C
02-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Shouldn't Mathis be tough in District 30AAA too? They have been in playoffs the past two years? Maybe Mike can help.

AP Panther Fan
02-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Is this the son I met in San Antonio?? Only tough competition for Sinton & Ingleside? :D Aren't there 2 other teams in the district? :thinking: :D :D I can't wait for the season to get under way. Varisty squad has a scrimmage (weather permitting) in GP this Saturday according to the San Pat News.

yes maam, same one.....yes, there are two other teams in our district..I'M SORRY!:p I think the entire District is strong, but I do have limited (make that no) knowledge regarding Goliad. Maybe 44inarow could fill us in, since they were in Cuero's district until this year.:thinking:

What time is the scrimmage supposed to be? weather permitting of course....you know it is supposed to rain all weekend!:mad: It is really starting to irritate me.:flamingma

44INAROW
02-11-2005, 12:00 PM
I'll get a report on Goliad and get back with you on that :)

I do know we won both JV games last year but have to check on what Varsity did..

pirate4state
02-11-2005, 12:02 PM
yes maam, same one.....yes, there are two other teams in our district..I'M SORRY!:p I think the entire District is strong, but I do have limited (make that no) knowledge regarding Goliad. Maybe 44inarow could fill us in, since they were in Cuero's district until this year.:thinking:

What time is the scrimmage supposed to be? weather permitting of course....you know it is supposed to rain all weekend!:mad: It is really starting to irritate me.:flamingma
Cool! Maybe you should *cough* move *cough* to Sinton. :D We have 2 banks here. :eek: All the San Pat News reported is that there was a scrimmage they didn't give us a time that would be too easy. :rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
02-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I'll get a report on Goliad and get back with you on that :)

I do know we won both JV games last year but have to check on what Varsity did..

Thanks, I have found about the only way I can find out anything about Goliad is to go to the Victoria Advocate online and it is a challenge at best even then.:D

AP Panther Fan
02-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Cool! Maybe you should *cough* move *cough* to Sinton. :D We have 2 banks here. :eek: All the San Pat News reported is that there was a scrimmage they didn't give us a time that would be too easy. :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO...and everyone says you guys only recruit from Taft.:thumbsup: :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

pirate4state
02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
ROFLMAO...and everyone says you guys only recruit from Taft.:thumbsup: :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :D Nope, we'll welcome them from anywhere in the state!! :eek: :devil: :D

Hannibal
02-11-2005, 01:53 PM
It wasn't always that way. When I played there, most move-ins were not welcome. I think we had one guy that moved in my senior year that played baseball and he didn't last halfway through district, if even that long.

AP Panther Fan
02-11-2005, 02:02 PM
It wasn't always that way. When I played there, most move-ins were not welcome. I think we had one guy that moved in my senior year that played baseball and he didn't last halfway through district, if even that long.

Hannibal, did you play on one of the teams that took Sinton to State? You guys have had numerous teams advance quite far over the years. :)

pirate4state
02-11-2005, 04:16 PM
It wasn't always that way. When I played there, most move-ins were not welcome. I think we had one guy that moved in my senior year that played baseball and he didn't last halfway through district, if even that long. :eek: "I was only kidding!" ;) :D

AP Panther Fan
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
:eek: "I was only kidding!" ;) :D

Sure... :rolleyes: :D

I thought you and Hannibal might be the same age, but it looks like he is about a year older. You're both BABIES:weeping: :weeping: :D

VWG
02-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
The Snyder tournament will be able to show who is the top contender for region 1- I know Perryton, Abilene Wylie, Snyder, Pecos, Lubbock Cooper and i think you guys are going to be there, its going to be a great tournament!

That is a strong field in Region I.
Abilene Wylie, Lubbock Cooper and the rest... man, strong field for a tournament.