PDA

View Full Version : Monahans AD position

justlikesports
01-29-2005, 10:03 AM
It is official, Monahans is looking for a new AD/Head Coach. Front page of the Odessa American this morning, Hanna is out at Monahans High. I understand the board did what they thought they needed to do, but personally I like Coach Hanna and will miss him. Contray to popular belief in this town, not everyone wanted to see him go! Good Luck to Coach Hanna and his wife wherever they go. Some Loboes and fans will miss them!!

VWG
01-29-2005, 10:04 AM
So why did he leave?

Ranger Mom
01-29-2005, 10:08 AM
I met him at the Sweetwater/Snyder playoff game in Big Spring.

He seemed like a really nice man. I feel bad for him, he was at that game wearing his Monahans cap with pride!!

LH Panther Mom
01-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by VWG
So why did he leave?

Sounds like he didn't have a choice.....school boards are funny that way.

Jet1
01-29-2005, 11:09 AM
He didn't have a choice. The supt told him he needed to be looking for another job. They will regret it next yr.

fball_gal310
01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I agree with you Jet...they will regret it next year. Coach Hanna is a great guy and coach. This year was just a bad year...but he isn't the team. He can't throw the passes, make the blocks or score the touchdowns-that has to come from the boys. I didn't always like what Larry did but I have respect for him. Good Luck to him!

vet93
01-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I want to get this in before the rumors start....Stay away....I repeat...Stay away from Coach Owens at Ballinger;) We like him just fine here at Ballinger. I think that Coach Doege at Crane would be good or Coach Jones at kermit or maybe Coach Purser or howabout R.C. Slocum....but not Coach Owens! Wildstangs warned me 2 months ago that you guys might be after Mickey...I should have known he would be right!! In all seriousness...good luck to Monahans and Coach Owens and all of the other coaches. Hope the Lobo faithful find what they want.....they already fired a dandy.

panther power
01-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Goodbye, Coach Hanna

By Sam Waller
Odessa American

After nearly eight years, Larry Hanna is out as head football coach and athletic director at Monahans.
Hanna said Friday that he was informed by Monahans-Wickett-Pyote Independent School District superintendent Keith Richardson that the school district would begin accepting applications for the position. Hanna said the first indication he received that a change was imminent came after his annual evaluation earlier this month.
“I had my evaluation on the Jan. 7, and at that time I got a good evaluation handed to me,” he said. “I asked if there were any concerns and our superintendent, Keith Richardson, said that I didn’t have any support from the board, didn’t expect any support come board meeting time.”
At that school board meeting on Jan. 18, a motion to grant Hanna a contract extension died for lack of a second. Hanna is currently under contract through June 2006, according to Richardson.
The day after the board meeting, Hanna requested a meeting with Richardson.
“He didn’t call me, I called him,” Hanna said. “At that time, I went over and said, ‘Where do we go from here?’ He said, ‘You need to look.’ I said, ‘I understand that.’
“I said, ‘I’m not just taking anything. If I don’t find anything, I expect to be here.’ He said that I would not be coaching that football team at that point.”
One week after meeting with Richardson, Hanna was told he would be replaced.
“(Richardson) called me in (Wednesday) and told me that it was opening up,” said Hanna, adding that he was given no reason for the move. “They gave me a week to find a job.”
Richardson said the decision to replace Hanna was made after the school board declined to extend the coach’s contract.
“At this time, we know that coach Hanna is not going to be coaching here next year, so we decided to go ahead and open it up,” Richardson said. “I guess it was a combination of (school board and administration input) when his contract wasn’t extended and it just kind of went from there.”
Richardson said the school district would accept applications for about two weeks before starting interviews.
Monahans finished the 2004 season with a 4-6 overall record and a 2-3 mark in District 3-3A, finishing fourth behind tri-champions Fort Stockton, Greenwood and Seminole. The Loboes missed the playoffs for the second time in four years.
A former Monahans assistant, Hanna was hired in June 1997 to replace Windy Williams, who was reassigned. Hanna, whose career head coaching record is 112-69-1, had directed Iraan to the Class 2A state championship the previous fall.
In eight seasons at Monahans, Hanna guided the Loboes to a 48-42 record and six playoff appearances. In 1998, Monahans reached the Class 3A Division I semifinals before losing to eventual state champion Aledo. The 2002 squad reached the 3A Division I quarterfinals before falling to eventual state champ Everman.
Monahans has also been successful in other sports During Hanna’s tenure. The volleyball team has reached the Class 3A state tournament each of the last two seasons, winning the school’s ninth state title in the sport in November. Last year, Monahans made the playoffs in both boys and girls basketballs, while the softball team made its first state-tournament appearance and the girls golf team finished third at the state tournament.
“For the people of Monahans, I thank the parents and community for allowing me to come and be a part of the athletic program and direct the program for the last eight years,” Hanna said. “This is my 17th year with Monahans, nine as an assistant and eight as head coach. They’ve been very enjoyable years and I’m very proud of the success we’ve had at Monahans in various programs, football included.
“Going to the playoffs six out of eight years is something I think we can be proud of. Finishing in the top five in the Lone Star Cup twice is something to be proud of. I think Monahans is a proud program and I think they will continue to do well and I wish them well.”
Hanna said he is “pursuing some opening on the 3A and 4A level,” but will remain on the job in Monahans for the time being.
“(Richardson) has mentioned reassignment,” Hanna said. “At this point in time, I’m still athletic director and head football coach, still in my office and will be until he says otherwise.”

lobo12
01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
the first person i thought of when the job was open was mickey owens. dont know if he would want to go to monahans however. i dont see why the hire jones from kermit, the got rid of hanna for not winning but jones has never beat hanna so that really doesnt make any sense. doege would also be a good one, and he has a good quarterback he would bring with him. i think they will regret this...like it was earlier said coaches can only do so much...the players have to play the game. someone is getting a great coach however and i hope he does succeed where ever he goes.

PhiI C
01-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
the first person i thought of when the job was open was mickey owens. dont know if he would want to go to monahans however. i dont see why the hire jones from kermit, the got rid of hanna for not winning but jones has never beat hanna so that really doesnt make any sense. doege would also be a good one, and he has a good quarterback he would bring with him. i think they will regret this...like it was earlier said coaches can only do so much...the players have to play the game. someone is getting a great coach however and i hope he does succeed where ever he goes.

Aransas Pass are you on the phone?

SuperFan#1
01-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Any news???????

AP Panther Fan
01-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Aransas Pass are you on the phone?

ha ha Phil C! I was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread...great minds think alike! :D