PDA

View Full Version : Dee Walker of Snyder?

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know where Dee is considering playing? FYI for Dee, Southeastern Oklahoma State is in need of running backs and I sure would like to see him there. Although it may be a little far from home.

Snyder_TigerFan
01-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Here is a little bit of info regarding his options...

High Stepping
Super Team standouts found new success in '04

By Joshua Parrott / Reporter-News Staff Writer
January 23, 2005

Before the start of this past football season, Dee Walker had two objectives - to have a good senior season and play college football.

So far, Walker is one for two.

''I'm very goal-oriented and had really two major goals coming into this season: one to have a good senior year and go out on a good note and to go to a major university to play football. I guess it's one down, one more to go,'' said Walker, the 2004 Abilene Reporter-News All-Big Country Super Team Offensive Player of the Year. ''I hope winning this award will open some doors for me.''

In his first year at Snyder High School after moving from Arizona, Walker became a dominant offensive threat, running for 2,355 yards and scoring 29 total touchdowns as the Tigers won a share of the District 4-3A title and reached the fourth round of the playoffs - the deepest of any team in school history.

Walker wasn't the only representative from District 4-3A who deserved recognition. Wylie High School coach Hugh Sandifer was named the All-Big Country Super Team Coach of the Year after leading his Bulldogs to their first state championship.

A pair of players from Abilene High School garnered the final two awards on the All-Big Country Super Team - senior linebacker Jerrod Carroll earned Super Team Defensive Player of the Year accolades, and junior quarterback Taylor Potts was named All-Big Country Super Team Newcomer of the Year.

Man on the move

During this past season, Division I coaches called looking to talk with Walker.

But Walker's focus during the season wasn't on where he might play college football. His sights were set on helping win Snyder's first state title.

He came pretty darn close.

The Tigers reached the Class 3A Division II state semifinals before losing to eventual state champion Gilmer.

By the time Snyder's season came to an end in late December, D-I coaches weren't allowed to speak with prospective recruits.

After first getting frustrated, Walker finally accepted his fate. He has scheduled upcoming visits to SMU and ACU and will continue sending out tapes hoping a D-I school will give him a chance - and a scholarship.

''It's a little depressing with the season I had that no one really knows about me, but I believe God is humbling me and trying to make me patient,'' said Walker, who added he will probably sign a letter of intent after National Signing Day on Feb. 2. ''I mean, what can I say? We had a great season. Receiving all these awards is fulfilling, but I couldn't have done anything without my coaches or teammates.''

Sandifer's reaction to Walker's breakout season?

''I wish he'd stayed in Arizona,'' Sandifer said with a laugh. ''I think he's one of the best backs to ever play in the district. He turned a good Snyder team into a really good Snyder team. He's definitely one of the best we've ever played.''

TheDOCTORdre
01-28-2005, 09:36 AM
I really like this Walker kid, not only is he a great athlete, but he has a great perspective on life. While a lot of kids with his talent would be griping and complaning about having to put their hopes of going to play D-I ball, his attitude is very good. I hope he is successful wherever he goes

Black_Magic
01-28-2005, 09:36 AM
This fella ( Dee Walker ) is a Gold Mine waiting to be taken. He can make an impact right away in just about any DII school. He has not commited to anyone yet. Abilene Christian has shown intrest as well as SMU. It may be that many DII schools think he is going big time and dont bother asking him to visit. I would say a 2,350 yard rusher that came from a school who had the 15th hardest schedule in the state of 3A schools and came from a the toughest 3A district in the state would be the Real Deal...

wildstangs
01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I wish Tech would give him a shot. He would be fun to watch in their wide open offense.

injuredinmelee
01-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I wish Tech would give him a shot. He would be fun to watch in their wide open offense.

But Tech already has Lewis from Abilene High an the stud from the EL Paso team that AHS beat in the playoffs that have already committed.

wildstangs
01-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
But Tech already has Lewis from Abilene High an the stud from the EL Paso team that AHS beat in the playoffs that have already committed.

True, didnt think about that. I just hope the guy doesnt go to ACU. Heck, go play at Hardin Simmons, they may be D3, but they win games and conference titles.

SwtwtrMstngs04
01-29-2005, 12:07 AM
In the story it said Snder made it to the 4th round of playoffs. didnt they make it to the 5th?

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-30-2005, 04:40 PM
I hope he goes to ACU so that I will be able to watch him play. he was great.

Black_Magic
01-31-2005, 09:34 AM
I understand that there Is a Strong posibility of him Signing with SMU as of late.

spiveyrat
01-31-2005, 10:00 AM
LOL! I got a little confused with the title there. At first, I thought you were talking about Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gilmer Buckeye
01-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by SwtwtrMstngs04
In the story it said Snder made it to the 4th round of playoffs. didnt they make it to the 5th?

As Ed McMahon used to say to Johnny Carson, "You are correct, sir!"

Walker had a pretty good game against the Buckeyes in what was one of the sloppiest playoff games I've ever seen. There was a combined total of 15 turnovers, with Snyder having the lead 8-7.

Had the Tigers not gotten so far behind so early and had to abandon the running game, he probably would have done even better. I wish him all the best. He sounds like a fine young man who should be successful both on and off the field in the years to come.

BTW, a Gilmer sportswriter actually slipped and referred to him as Dee Snyder in his game account.

Phil C
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
I wish he would go to Texas A&M at Kingsville.

Snyder_TigerFan
02-04-2005, 10:07 AM
For those interested...A clip from the Abilene Reporter news regarding Dee Walker...

As for Walker, Division I coaches are just starting to catch a whiff of an incredibly talented player capable of playing running back, wide receiver or defensive back. How in the world could a player who ran for 2,355 yards - second-most in Class 3A this season - and scored 29 touchdowns be ignored?

Moving from Arizona to Texas over the summer can scramble any recruiting radar.

After drawing interest during the season from various Division I schools - and politely declining to discuss his recruiting to maintain focus on his team's success - Walker found the talk had stopped by the time Snyder's season ended in December.

With his dreams of playing college football seemingly drying up, Walker continued sending out tapes but received only one serious response - from SMU.

After taking a visit to the campus two weeks ago, Walker was told he would have to walk on to play for the Mustangs.

And that's coming from a program that went 3-8 last season.

Ouch.

Holding on to what faith he had left, Walker took a visit to ACU and liked the campus but wanted to wait and see what other schools might have scholarships so late in the recruiting process.

Arkansas State University joined the Walker sweepstakes last week and could end up the winner of the state's most underrated, underpublicized and undeterred running back.

All this because a couple of 18-year-old high school seniors showed a little patience.

Black_Magic
02-04-2005, 11:08 AM
I saw where Angelo State Signed The hill kid from Seminole. Anyone who has seen both play and have seen both kids stats has to be dumfounded why walker would not even rate a call back from ASU. Maybe they droped the ball again on this one. One of the top backs in the state , Big Country Superteam Player of the year and he gets not even a response from ASU...:confused: I hope this is no Indication of the continued downward spiral of the program. I believe Arkansas State may have come across athe mother load.

oh well
02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
That is ASU for you huh Black Magic. Now we are seeing things the same way.

Black_Magic
02-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by oh well
That is ASU for you huh Black Magic. Now we are seeing things the same way. NO! we are not! ASU is a good program and Is not done yet but it is a sign thye have not recognized talent right in their own backyard.I hope it is not a sign of things to come for the Rams.

Look , If Walker and The Snyder Tigers played the same schedule as Seminole , Walker would most likely ended up with more like 2,800 to 3,000 yards Rushing and Snyder would have had 6,000 to 7,000 total yards on the season instead of the 5,000 yards of offense they did have. Remember the District Snyder Played in compared to Seminoles district . 3-3A had no team go past the first round and 4-3A had ALL THREE go to the 4th round or farther. Walkers 2,355 yards rushing came vs much tougher people than Hills. Im flabbergasted that ASU could not see that.

oh well
02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
They have got to be better then they were in the late 80's early 90's

Black_Magic
02-04-2005, 02:37 PM
They have got to be better then they were in the late 80's early 90's Wrong AGIAN . Angelo state had the states winnigest football program among all universities in the state with over .780 win precentage from 1980 until 1990. That made it the the best in the state in the 80s even counting the win/loss records of UT and A&M and even Texas A&I during the same period..:D

oh well
02-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Now you are saying ASU was better then the real schools in the State of Texas you were a greyhound @ one time I bet

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
ASU has a new coach. Maybe that has something to do with it. ASU does have a tradition of winning like Black_magic stated. Plus it is one of the top universities in the Lone Star Conf with regards to athletic facilities. They have a good program. Why these teams make decisions on personnel is like solving a magician's trick. ASU signed a great player from Ballinger (Antonio Posey). He was a heck of a running back. ASU had him listed as a corner last year in the media guide? Go figure.

Eastern New Mexico only signed 4 high school players as of yesterday. Texas A&M Commerce signed none. So Those are two places I would be calling. Especially ENMU as they have a good program and it is not as far as TAMU @ Commerce.

Also if he doesn't get an offer of money he should think about Hardin-Simmons in Abilene. Great program and he could contribute to the team early. They have a first class football program. Just DIII and they do not offer scholarships for athletics.

oh well
02-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Hardin Simmons is a great place. Not sure about ASU maybe it has to so with some of the players they signed in the late 80's Early 90's to why they do not sign players from this area.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Hardin Simmons is a great place. Not sure about ASU maybe it has to so with some of the players they signed in the late 80's Early 90's to why they do not sign players from this area.

Good point. We as fans really don't know what all they actually see.

Black_Magic
02-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Hardin Simmons is a great place. Not sure about ASU maybe it has to so with some of the players they signed in the late 80's Early 90's to why they do not sign players from this area. Now Now! You And I both Know of a few GREAT players out of this area that signed with angelo. I can remember at least one from this area. Clayton Wiseune LB for the Patriots and all pro was from Wall. Im sure there are many others.

oh well
02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Maybe the problem is with athletes from Snyder Area of the past

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Who knows why they didn't get Walker. But I can say this, if he lands in with another Lone Star Conf. school ASU will wish they did have him.

I think (just personal opinion) he is a better back than Hill, but not taking anything away from Hill either because he was also very good. (I didn't see Hill play this year, but I did see him run track last year) I just think Walker was special after seeing him play twice. ASU may run an offense that Hill will do better in. Who knows?

Tarleton would be another place that I would hit up if I were him. They haven't released their signings. Probably in part to teh fact they just got a new coach.

GreenMonster
02-04-2005, 08:50 PM
WOW! I am flabbergasted that this kid has yet to sign with anyone. I was extremely impressed with Dee Walker when I had the priveledge of watching him play. This kid is the total package. He gets the tough yards up the middle and can outrun you to the corner. He also showed that he could be a potent pass catcher out of the backfield as well. As far as where he should go play, I think he should go JuCo. Maybe one of these big schools will see the error of their ways and pick him up before next year's spring practice. Hopefully whereever he goes they will be bright enough to turn around and give him the ball a million times and not hide his talents on the defensive side of the ball. I know of a particular Lone Star Conf. team right here in my backyard (that I am an Alumnus of) that landed the Class A Player of the Year from a couple of years ago (Ross Harrison, RB/LB, Petrolia) and were too shortsighted to give him a chance to tote the mail. They hid him on defense for his entire first season and a couple of games into his second season before they had the injury bug pop up and didn't have enough RB's for a live scrimmage. The coaches looked around and asked who had experience at RB. Harrison raised his hand. Turns out he was so good in that scrimmage that he started the next game where he proceeded to run wild and win Player of the Week honors. Harrison never looked back and started the rest of the season and is the top name on the depth chart for the upcoming season. Not bad for a third-string linebacker from Class A nowhere. Good luck Dee Walker, You will make somebody look like a genius regardless where you go to school.

Black_Magic
02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Maybe the problem is with athletes from Snyder Area of the past your not talking about any All Americans out of Snyder are you? I would say that would be a good problem to have;)