PDA

View Full Version : profanity on the football field

pirate44
01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
i havent played since 1989, but back then my coaches didnt think twice before using language that would make a sailor squirm. i dont use profanity and hate to hear it, but back then we loved it and were motivated by it. with all the restrictions in todays school, are coaches still pretty vulgar??

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 10:54 AM
One of my son's favorite (and most respected) coaches does cuss quite a bit. I think it is acceptable because it is NOT directed at the kids ... if you know what I mean.

pirate44
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
One of my son's favorite (and most respected) coaches does cuss quite a bit. I think it is acceptable because it is NOT directed at the kids ... if you know what I mean.
im editting this post. even though the profanity is left out, the visual was still there. sorry.:(

onfirebball05mustang
01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
its an angering and somewhat motivating word usage, i dont condone, nor condemn it, but it should NEVER be directed at the players, and yet directed at them at the same time....a controversial thing, but hey, it happens

jason
01-27-2005, 11:02 AM
my basketball coach never cussed, and if we did....we ran...and ran....and ran...and ran....i think one kid is still running....

District303aPastPlayer
01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
its an angering and somewhat motivating word usage, i dont condone, nor condemn it, but it should NEVER be directed at the players, and yet directed at them at the same time....a controversial thing, but hey, it happens

im more confused about alot of things after reading this post

pirate44
01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
it was directed toward us all the time. i never saw any harm. we were a close knit family and knew it meant nothing. and like i said, i dont use profanity so its not like it influenced me.

onfirebball05mustang
01-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
im more confused about alot of things after reading this post

eh it's my lot in life...your confusion is my comfort zone:D

pirate44
01-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by jason
my basketball coach never cussed, and if we did....we ran...and ran....and ran...and ran....i think one kid is still running....
i always assumed the change was a sign of the times. maybe a threat by the school boards in fear of lawsuits.

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Just my guess, but I would think that kids who have an adult speak to them in an adult manner (right or wrong) somehow gain their respect.

Bullaholic
01-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Tough subject to explore without talking out of both sides of one's mouth. Like you P44, I grew up with a lot of coaches that used "salty" language to make a point, and we, or our parents didn't think much of it. IMO, times have changed and so have the "lines" when it comes to profanity useage. The terminology has evolved a lot. Back in my day a coach usually restricted his cussing to the standard 3 or 4-letter expletives. I, personally, do not condone the use of the Lord's name in vain under any circumstances, nor any of the "F" words. This is where the problem lies on this subject and many similar ones in our society when it comes to "moral" judgements and censorship . That which is offensive to one family or individual may not be offensive to others. I think the best policy for a coach to follow in today's environment would be to refrain from the use of profanity completely. Otherwise, in certain circumstances, he is going to be spending a lot more of his time defending his actions than coaching.

pirate44
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Tough subject to explore without talking out of both sides of one's mouth. Like you P44, I grew up with a lot of coaches that used "salty" language to make a point, and we, or our parents didn't think much of it. IMO, times have changed and so have the "lines" when it comes to profanity useage. The terminology has evolved a lot. Back in my day a coach usually restricted his cussing to the standard 3 or 4-letter expletives. I, personally, do not condone the use of the Lord's name in vain under any circumstances, nor any of the "F" words. This is where the problem lies on this subject and many similar ones in our society when it comes to "moral" judgements and censorship . That which is offensive to one family or individual may not be offensive to others. I think the best policy for a coach to follow in today's environment would be to refrain from the use of profanity completely. Otherwise, in certain circumstances, he is going to be spending a lot more of his time defending his actions than coaching.
back in my time a coach had no need to defend himself. even parents knew and heard it and never blinked an eye at it. but those were the times when you could see a coach paddle huge football players and make them tear up for being late to practice, and the parents would understand.

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
back in my time a coach had no need to defend himself. even parents knew and heard it and never blinked an eye at it. but those were the times when you could see a coach paddle huge football players and make them tear up for being late to practice, and the parents would understand.

The good old days!:thumbsup:

Panther Ross
01-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah earlier this season a kid quit, went off the field screaming and cursing and saying every word in the book and he had the balls to get his mom up there. It was a sight.

Phil C
01-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't know if it was common in other places at the time but when I was in high school those coaches could chew you out and really get their point accross without using any profanity at all.

pirate44
01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't know if it was common in other places at the time but when I was in high school those coaches could chew you out and really get their point accross without using any profanity at all.
I dont know if i feared my coach for his profanity or the fact he was a 6'-6" former linebacker from OU:D

big daddy russ
01-27-2005, 12:51 PM
back in my time a coach had no need to defend himself. even parents knew and heard it and never blinked an eye at it. but those were the times when you could see a coach paddle huge football players and make them tear up for being late to practice, and the parents would understand. A little off the subject, but my girlfriend (future wife) actually told me that our kids' school will never have her permission to give our kids licks. Good thing they only need permission from one parent.;)

pirate44
01-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
A little off the subject, but my girlfriend (future wife) actually told me that our kids' school will never have her permission to give our kids licks. Good thing they only need permission from one parent.;) :clap:

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
A little off the subject, but my girlfriend (future wife) actually told me that our kids' school will never have her permission to give our kids licks. Good thing they only need permission from one parent.;)

Uh oh....I see the first argument for the happy couple on the horizon.:D

JasperDog94
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Just my guess, but I would think that kids who have an adult speak to them in an adult manner (right or wrong) somehow gain their respect. So do you think that a coach can't talk to a kid in an adult manner and get his point across without using 4 letter words?

JasperDog94
01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't know if it was common in other places at the time but when I was in high school those coaches could chew you out and really get their point accross without using any profanity at all. This was also my experience Phil. You don't respect people because of the language they use. You respect them because of who they are and the character they have. (or lack there of)

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
So do you think that a coach can't talk to a kid in an adult manner and get his point across without using 4 letter words?

I didn't say that...of course "ANY" adult can talk to a kid without using four letter words.

I am not an advocate of coaches cussing, I just don't think I will be one to lose sleep over it UNLESS as I said before, it is done so in a manner that belittles the players. That...I would definitely have a problem with!

pirate44
01-27-2005, 01:55 PM
I didn't say that...of course "ANY" adult can talk to a kid without using four letter words.

I am not an advocate of coaches cussing, I just don't think I will be one to lose sleep over it UNLESS as I said before, it is done so in a manner that belittles the players. That...I would definitely have a problem with!
the relationship we had with our coaches and team-mates, were of brotherhood. we could tease each other whether it was with profanity or not. the coaches could work us to death, or belittle us. even as far as to make fun of us, but noone outside of the football team could or even better try. we would stick up for each other as brothers. so none of the cussing or belittling ever got to us. we knew deep down these people had our backs in any situation and we loved each other for it (in a totally platonic, punch in the arm kind of way of course).

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I understand what you are saying, I just don't think belittling (geez is that spelled right) is good under any circumstances. I think that positive reinforcement is much more effective.

There is most definitely nothing wrong with teasing and good-natured fun ... there is just an imaginary line that I don't believe should be crossed. That line is when it makes someone feel bad about themselves or hurts them in any way.

Just my unsolicited opinion.;) :)

KTJ
01-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Basketball coaches cuss all the time. If we hear them, we are supposed to issue a Technical foul, no questions asked. And that is even if they are directing it out of frustration or to one of their players. The reason being is that it's poor sportsmanship to display that kind of image and the National Federation wants it cleaned up....STAT!

pirate44
01-27-2005, 02:16 PM
i wonder if there are any coaches on the downlow who have been told by their school board to cut out the profanity:thinking:

Bullaholic
01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
i wonder if there are any coaches on the downlow who have been told by their school board to cut out the profanity:thinking:

I know of a couple of coaches who have been "written up" by principals for profanity. Again, it depends on the tolerance policy of the administration.

Holmes_Fans
01-27-2005, 05:00 PM
I got a lick this past season, my butt was red all weekend. Luckily I only got one.

pirate44
01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
I got a lick this past season, my butt was red all weekend. Luckily I only got one.
one of my teammates got one from a coach and he had 2 dark squares on his back side.:D

Old Tiger
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
i havent played since 1989, but back then my coaches didnt think twice before using language that would make a sailor squirm. i dont use profanity and hate to hear it, but back then we loved it and were motivated by it. with all the restrictions in todays school, are coaches still pretty vulgar?? Somewhat, it would probably depend on the situation.

Bullaholic
01-27-2005, 07:23 PM
A little off the subject, but my girlfriend (future wife) actually told me that our kids' school will never have her permission to give our kids licks. Good thing they only need permission from one parent.;)

Your future intended may not believe in corporal punishment for kids, Russ, but I think you will be finding out in a hurry that she has absolutely no restricitions on this for adults- especially husbands. Better find out if she is right or left-handed so you will at least be prepared for the first punch. Oh yea,--wearing your old football helmet may not be a bad idea either. :)

Astrosdawg07
01-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Our coaches still cuss plenty!