PDA

View Full Version : Eagles pick construction worker to replace Pro Bowler

AggieJohn
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Read this story, funny thing is that if he wins the super bowl he gets a 68,800 check from the NFL....his yearly salary was 79000...he said on sportscenter yesterday that he was using this time as his vacation time...funny how he'll make more in the next 2 weeks than in his whole year...

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Jeff Thomason put his career in construction work on hold to play in the Super Bowl.

The veteran tight end signed with the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday after being out of the NFL the last two seasons. He'll replace his friend -- injured tight end Chad Lewis -- who hurt his foot on his second touchdown catch in Philadelphia's 27-10 victory over Atlanta in the NFC title game.

``It's incredible. I'm probably the luckiest guy in the world,'' said Thomason, who played in two Super Bowls with the Packers when Eagles coach Andy Reid was an assistant under Mike Holmgren.

Lewis, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, was put on injured reserve to make space on the roster for the Eagles, who play the New England Patriots on Feb. 6.

Thomason, 35, was working as a project manager for a construction
company in New Jersey when the Eagles called Monday. Lewis actually made the first call, telling Thomason he was recommending him as a replacement.

``That just shows how unselfish Chad is to be thinking about me at that time,'' said Thomason, who said he's kept in shape by competing in triathlons.

A co-worker said Thomason asked if taking some time off would be a problem. It wasn't an issue -- but he's going to have to use his two weeks' vacation for his new gig.

ADVERTISEMENT
``When I get back, I'll have to work a year straight without vacation,'' Thomason said. ``I'll probably make more during vacation than my annual salary. Now I know how hard it is to earn a buck in the real world. I worked a lot of hours.''

At least Thomason had a job. Patriots cornerback Hank Poteat, who got a call two weeks ago to take Ty Law's roster spot, was unemployed at the time, taking classes at the University of Pittsburgh.

Poteat, who had been out of the NFL since being released by Carolina in the preseason, has played well in a reserve role in two playoff games.

Eight-time Pro Bowl tight end Shannon Sharpe, who retired last year after 14 seasons in the NFL, said on his radio show that he would have considered playing for the Eagles if they had called.

``What would happen if I went out there, played, and was the Super Bowl MVP? That wouldn't be fair, I didn't go through training camp,'' said Sharpe, who won Super Bowls with Denver and Baltimore.

Thomason spent three seasons with the Eagles, but hasn't played since 2002. Seven of his 25 catches with Philadelphia were touchdowns.

Second-year pro L.J. Smith will take Lewis' starting spot against the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl on Feb. 6. Seldom-used Mike Bartrum is the Eagles' other tight end, though he'll likely remain third-string because he's most valuable as a long snapper, and Reid doesn't want to risk him getting injured in the game.

``I've been in this offense 10 years, so I know it very well,'' Thomason said, referring to the West Coast offense. ``Little things like formations have changed, but it shouldn't be too hard to grasp.''

The Eagles might also be without All-Pro wideout Terrell Owens, whose doctor said he would not clear the All-Pro to play in the game after his weekly checkup Tuesday.

Thomason began his career with Cincinnati in 1992 and played five seasons in Green Bay before coming to Philadelphia in 2000. He has 67 receptions for 650 yards and 10 TDs in 10 seasons.

Lewis, an unrestricted free agent after the season, had 29 catches for 267 yards and three TDs this year. His role had been reduced with the emergence of Smith, a second-round draft pick from Rutgers in 2003.

Lewis emerged as quarterback Donovan McNabb's favorite target in 2000, catching 69 passes for 735 yards and three TDs to earn the first of his three consecutive trips to the Pro Bowl.

While it's sure to be a whirlwind, dream-come-true experience for Thomason, it has to be painful for Lewis, who also missed the Super Bowl when the St. Louis Rams released him midway through their championship season in 1999.

``I know what is expected of me and it's perfect,'' Thomason said. ``The fact I'm replacing Chad, who is one of my dearest friends, means a lot to me. This is a very special situation.''

Keith7
01-26-2005, 02:40 PM
this is a former player that retired 2 years ago, its not just a regular construction worker, and that pro bowl tight end got injured thats why he is being replaced..

AggieJohn
01-26-2005, 03:10 PM
well i know that...but it still sounds cool