PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Booster Clubs

Bullaholic
01-25-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm interested to know how the athletic booster clubs are organized in your town, what are their activities, when and where they meet, organizational structure, and whether they are active in all sports.

The Bridgeport Athletic Boosters meet each Mon. evening at 7:00pm in the high school commons area and hold a general business-type meeting with old business, new business, and financial reports. The officers are Pres, V.Pres, and Secretary/Treasurer. During football season, the Athletic Director previews the film of the prior week's Bulls game and does an outstanding job of analysis. Next week's opponent is also previewed. Bulls booster items such a hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. are available for sale from a trailer at each home game. I know many clubs meet for breakfast or dinner at their meetings. We have a faithful bunch, composed mainly of the player's parents, but could increase or numbers significantly. That is the purpose of my post--to try to gather some athletic booster ideas from other successful programs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Bullaholic:

Same for us in Vernon. I have been a member of the Booster club for three years now. We do about the same thing that you do there in Bridgeport. We make our big money by selling large pictures of the football team members and team pictures of all the other sports to local businesses. I think we sell them for 25 dollars and they are matted. Our costs are like 10 dollars. So we have like 60 players in football and that equates to like 900 bucks. We also sell the pictures many of them to the parents. Of course we sell T-shirts and other Football stuff too. We all have a membership drive that brings in more than the pictures. Although we only have regulars that show up for our weekly meetings. By the way they are also on Monday and we do teh same thing with the choach going over film and previewing the next weeks team.

We spend our money on our sports banquet. Our attendance drops off after football (I don't go except during football season) but we still meet and I don't know what all they do during that time. I do have a daughter running track this year, so I signed up to be the Team Dad for the booster club. Meaning that I will have to pack snacks for the buss trips and decorate their lockers and such. I have other daughters that I will assign those duties:)

LHMom
01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Our booster club is an "all sports" booster club. Majority of active members are football parents... We only meet once per month. Our top fundraisers are: football concessions, working at UT football games, and sales of t-shirts, caps, etc. We spend our money to put on 2 banquets per year (fall sports/spring sports), we typically give 5 $500 scholarships, and usually spend $5-8000 on additional equipment for athletes, as requested by our Athletic Director.

Ranger Mom
01-26-2005, 09:55 AM
All of our Athletic booster club are separate. I normally just attend football, but have been drug into baseball this year (kicking and screaming).

We have the usual T-shirts, programs, football paraphanalia, but one of our biggest fundraisers is the auction....the football helmets and footballs are the biggest money makers. I have had the honor the past 2 years of painting the footballs for auction.

I think the 2 helmets and 3 footballs combined brought in about $2,500 this season. (These are all signed by the players and coaches)

Freshman ball

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/F.jpg

J. V. Ball

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/J.jpg

Varsity Ball

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/V.jpg

crabman
01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
I hit this subject last August but I have yet to learn how to cut and paste.

First off, our booster club meetings are held off campus at a business about 5 miles outside of town. Meetings are on the first Wednesday of the month from January through July. They are held weekly from August through December as long as Cuero is in the playoffs. In Cuero it has always been this way and will always be this way. A typical meeting is from 6:30 until 9:00 or 9:30, depending on the die-hards.
We have about 50 people in the off season and 100-150 during the season. It used to be men only during the football season except for the first Wednesday of the month which was "Ladies Night". We changed that two years ago and women come to all meetings now.
3/4 of the people that come to our meetings and support our club do not have kids in any program. Some are older, some are younger. Most are old diehards that keep the traditions alive. That is the true secret to our club. We have a lot of guys that were on the state championship teams of 73, 74, and 87. There are a lot of state finalists as well. We have been in the finals 10 times since 1970, so there are a lot of those guys floating around.
We eat really well. Steak, fajitas, enchiladas, burgers, stew, whatever. All cooking is done by volunteers. Usually just a group of four guys. Sometimes the women will cook. One week the banks get together and cook. One oilfield guy I know has "pork chop night" every year. One convenience store owner has "ribeye night". Sometimes the food is donated, sometimes the club buys it. Either way, everybody pays 5 bucks to eat. Beer is allowed since it is off campus. One 16 gallon keg is the limit. A keg makes 200 10 ounce cups of beer. With 100 people at a meeting, it's not like you can do much damage.
All of the coaches give reports from the previous weeks games starting with 7th grade B team and going all of the way up to varsity. Practiaclly every coach attends. The superintendent of schools always attends as well as a few board members. We also do basketball, softball, baseball, golf, cross country, whatever the season. Starting this year we brought a PowerPoint projector and screen to the meeting and showed the game films on a 6x6 screen so we didn't have to all watch a 19" television. That worked out well.
Our booster club does the usual things for the kids. Paint dressing rooms, repair lockers, work concession stand at junior high and JV football games. We have the Gobbler RElay track meet and sell footballs, shirts, caps, etc.... all the usual stuff.

Our booster club is pretty well known around South Texas. When Coach Reeve first came, he was really reluctant to come because it was so much different than anything he had ever been around. Now he wouldn't trade it for the world.

44INAROW
01-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I never responded to this, hoping Crabman would do so. - by the way, I told you in Aug I'd show you how to cut and paste, and I never did, my bad....... we'll have to have a lesson so you can learn!!!