PDA

View Full Version : "Do Not Call"?

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head the website (if one) for signing up your phones for non-solicitation calls? We missed doing it before the end of the year. :mad:

sahen
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
:kiss: Thank you!

sahen
i just registered my cell phone in it...the email for confirmation came in on my spam mail folder though, so just a heads up for u...they send it fast so if u dont get it soon then check the junk folder..

CHS_CG
Ahh the wonderful do not call list.. gotta love it!

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i just registered my cell phone in it...the email for confirmation came in on my spam mail folder though, so just a heads up for u...they send it fast so if u dont get it soon then check the junk folder..

That was quick! I registered our home # & both cell phones. WooHoo! Unfortunately, you can only register 3, so I'm sure I'll get them on my home office #. :(

Thanks again!

AggieJohn
01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
just do it again

bccards
01-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That was quick! I registered our home # & both cell phones. WooHoo! Unfortunately, you can only register 3, so I'm sure I'll get them on my home office #. :(

Thanks again!

You can only register 3 "At a Time" but you can go back and RE-Register some more all you want :)

ILS1
01-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I registered the other day but I still get one that keeps calling!! I just hang up instead of letting my answering machine pick up. When I answer they just hang up!! They are really ticking me off!! It's the same number over and over again. They just called about 45 minutes ago.

:mad:

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I registered the other day but I still get one that keeps calling!! I just hang up instead of letting my answering machine pick up. When I answer they just hang up!! They are really ticking me off!! It's the same number over and over again. They just called about 45 minutes ago.

:mad: maybe you should report them...its what i would do. if your on the "dont call or i will have you hung" list, they really should respect your wishes and keep there irritating calls to people who for some reason like to hear from them, like those in new jersey:D

Ranger Mom
01-24-2005, 09:39 PM
I was looking at one of those "hoax" sites the other day and read that the "do not call" is a hoax.

Don't know if it's true or not.........if it is...they have all my cell phone numbers now!

j_dog
01-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by sahen
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
The above number is the National Do Not Call site.

Texas now has a Do Not Call site. I read that the National may have some holes that the Texas list plugs, and vice versa. Supposedly it takes at least six weeks for the posting to take effect. I presume the callers don't have to update their lists on a daily or weekly basis.

The Texas site is:

http://www.texasnocall.com/default.asp

RM, I do not think the No Call lists are hoaxes.

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I was looking at one of those "hoax" sites the other day and read that the "do not call" is a hoax.

Don't know if it's true or not.........if it is...they have all my cell phone numbers now!

I don't know if it's a hoax or not. I do know that the last two weeks, my cell phone & the home phone have been ringing with telemarketers; sometimes 2-3 per day from the same number. We previously had our home phone listed; once it took effect, the calls dropped drastically. I just hope I make it through the next 31 days.

j_dog
01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I registered the other day but I still get one that keeps calling!! I just hang up instead of letting my answering machine pick up. When I answer they just hang up!! They are really ticking me off!! It's the same number over and over again. They just called about 45 minutes ago. :mad:
How long have you had this number? I had the same experience. It turned out that the folks who just kept on calling and leaving messages were bill collectors for the guy who had the phone number before me. When I finally called them and told them that it was a new number for me, they took me off their call list and I have not heard from them again. Just a thougtht.

Anyway, if you take their call and ask them to take you off their calling list, the marketers are obligated by law to take you off immediately. Before the National List, that always seemed to work for me.

ILS1
01-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
How long have you had this number? I had the same experience. It turned out that the folks who just kept on calling and leaving messages were bill collectors for the guy who had the phone number before me. When I finally called them and told them that it was a new number for me, they took me off their call list and I have not heard from them again. Just a thougtht.

Anyway, if you take their call and ask them to take you off their calling list, the marketers are obligated by law to take you off immediately. Before the National List, that always seemed to work for me.

I've only had this number for about 4 months. In 2 cases,it was what you said earlier,bill collectors for some one else. In another case,they got my number for information because I had the same name and middle initial of someone they were looking for. They left a message and I called them back to clarify whom they were looking for. True story,I called and a lady answered. I gave her my name and initial. She immediately apologized and said they were looking for someone else. She said the guy they were looking for was born in 1935 and she'd recognize his voice. Plus,she said that I didn't "sound like I was 70 years old"!!! Thank goodness for that. BTW,I called that number back,the one that keeps calling. Low and behold it's the company (Gateway) that I just recently bought a new computer from. No one was there I just got a recording. I'm gonna call them tomorrow and tell them to stop calling me. I guess they didn't like my answers to the online survey that I took!!! Don't get me wrong,there's nothing wrong my new computer,I love it. I just hate taking surveys and was just fooling around and gave them all bad marks!! LOL!!! I guess they are returning the favor!!!

:p

sahen
01-25-2005, 12:37 AM
the national/state do not call lists r not hoaxes...the legislatures put them out so if the telemarketing companies call u after the do not call list takes effect on ur number then it is illegal and they can be prosecuted/fined....the list came from an actual bill signed into law, so they r not hoaxes....however im sure they r some loopholes somewhere (as always), but the lists have worked well for my home numbers since they put them out...getting one loopedholed company per month is a lot better than 2-3 per day...

spiveyrat
01-25-2005, 08:21 AM
I don't know this for a fact, but it is my belief that when you are, say, at the boat show and register to win that boat or you are at the mall and you register to win that car or ATV, you are opening yourself up to these unwanted calls.

spiveyrat
01-25-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm pretty sure if the site you visit to put yourself on one of these lists ends in ".gov", it is a legitimate list.

AP Panther Fan
01-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I don't know this for a fact, but it is my belief that when you are, say, at the boat show and register to win that boat or you are at the mall and you register to win that car or ATV, you are opening yourself up to these unwanted calls.

Not only that, I have had my long distance carrier changed because of the fine print in one of those "give away" things my son signed up for.

It didn't take me long to figure out once I got an outrageous phone bill. Luckily it was fairly easy to reverse the damage done. :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
01-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I don't know this for a fact, but it is my belief that when you are, say, at the boat show and register to win that boat or you are at the mall and you register to win that car or ATV, you are opening yourself up to these unwanted calls. Yeah! Whatever happened to having good clean fun at the boat show? :mad: :D :D