PDA

View Full Version : What industry, business or commerce feeds and supports your 3A town?

Old Cardinal
01-23-2005, 04:01 PM
I thought it might be enlighting to know a little about the jobs and industry that support the people of your town? Any comments?

CheerMom
01-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Rice farming, cattle and gravel in our area. And of course, gas and oil, don't know how I forgot that one (husband gauges wells)!!

setex
01-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Old Card, you should know this area

Oil, Lawyers, Healthcare

Oil companies build refinery, hire the workers at good pay, workers get sick and hurt. Here comes the health care workers they build more hospitals to take care of sick workers and general population that is around all the chemicals. Next come the lawyers, some workers get well some don't, lawyers sue the oil companies who pay the lawyers as just cost of doing business.

Been going on for 100 yrs.

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2005, 04:35 PM
There are a number of small businesses in Liberty Hill. I would guess that the most of the people employed locally work for LHISD. The rest work in the surrounding towns (Georgetown, Leander, Cedar Park & Austin).

big daddy russ
01-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Down in Ingleside it's the Naval Base, fabrication yards and refineries. We have three refineries right now: DuPont, Oxy and Reynolds. Also looks like we're getting another one sometime within the next six or seven years. Our yards fabricate offshore oil rigs and have built two of the tallest manmade structures in history. Those yards are littered along our coastline from the northern tip of the Corpus Christi Bay in Ingleside all the way up through the southern edge of Rockport. We (Ingleside and Aransas Pass) have three major fabrication yards (Gulf Marine Ingleside, Gulf Marine Aransas Pass and Kiewit Offshore Services) and probably 10 smaller ones. Ingleside and AP also support many families in the surrounding towns: Aransas Pass, Portland, Taft, Sinton, Rockport and the northernmost tips of Corpus Christi. Of course, we do have quite a few people who work in Corpus and some of the people in town still have ranches, but the ranches in and just outside of town have continued to shrink due to influx of people, many of which came from Naval Station Ingleside. During the past 15 years or so, the Navy families have really stabilized the local economy.

Just north of us, Aransas Pass, Rockport and Port Aransas get quite a few tourists and have a strong summertime economy due to the beaches and the fishing while just west of Ingleside in the Portland/Taft/Sinton/Mathis area you see quite a few more farms (cotton, mainly) and ranches.

AggieJohn
01-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Gossip...

NSUTrumpet08
01-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Jasper's industry is based mainly in the timber industry and tourism since Lake Sam Rayburn is to the north of the town. I know other industries are trying to take root such as airplane manufacturing.

Ranger Mom
01-23-2005, 05:56 PM
1. Oil
2. Oil
3. and more Oil

rockdale80
01-23-2005, 06:11 PM
dont know the numbers for sure, but alcoa and txu probably employ the most workers. followed by m.s.i. which does contracting work for both.

lepfan
01-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Up here in UGLY Southwestern Kansas...it is dairies and feedlots....both smell like $**t!!!!! (oh, and there is a little bit of the gas business -- the reason I am up here in the first place)

Old Green
01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Around Cuero it is Oil and gas ( 54th out of the two hundred and something counties in Texas) and Cattle Ranching. Also numerous small Businesses and a lot of people work in Victoria and the Petrochemical Industries in Victoria and Calhoun Counties.

wildstangs
01-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Up here in UGLY Southwestern Kansas...it is dairies and feedlots....both smell like $**t!!!!! (oh, and there is a little bit of the gas business -- the reason I am up here in the first place)

I have relatives who live in SW Kansas. My Uncle claims that stink is the smell of money.

Old Cardinal
01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
These responses have really been interesting------------

Down our way: Bridge City is a bedroom community supported by the Refining and Petrochemical industry in Jefferson and to a lesser extent Orange County. Since it is in the center of the Golden Triangle with Orange, Vidor, Beaumont, Nederland, Port Neches, Orangefield, West Orange, Port Arthur, and Groves somewhat surrounding it-- the town is growing. For a small town it seems to be becoming a banking and finance growth area with five "Savings & Loans/Credit Unions" either build or in the process of being built. That coupled with two banks and other financial type interest: you have a lot of financial activity for a small town. The youth of this town seem to be attending college at a very high ratio. The new home construction is brisk and folks retiring and moving north to the lakes seem to have no trouble selling their homes. The town has a tremendous Chamber of Commerce that has a large number of hard workers and are always trying to support an upgrading of per-capita-income for its constiuents.
It is interesting in that a lot of the new home construction has brought in professionally educated people that are "home schooling" their children. A lot of the school District growth are made up of middle aged folks that no longer have school age children; therefore, the BCISD is not growing proportionately to the population expansion. There is an interesting phenomenon that a lot of grandparents moving into the mega-size homes are raising grandchildren.

lepfan
01-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I have relatives who live in SW Kansas. My Uncle claims that stink is the smell of money.

What town is he in...??? They all keep trying to tell me that is the smell of $$$$, but I keep telling them I smell $h*t.

mustang04
01-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Sweetwater has the largest Gypsum plant in the U.S....it produces more sheet-rock than any other plant....most likely the room ur sitting in has walls that are made w/ sheet-rock from sweetwater, we also have the worlds largest Rattlesnake Round-up, but nobody lives here cuz of it, we also have alot of cotton farmers and cattle ranches

spiveyrat
01-24-2005, 08:01 AM

My dad used to say the same thing about the paper mill in Evadale! :D

spiveyrat
01-24-2005, 08:03 AM
In South Central Kansas (i.e. Wichita), it's aircraft manufacturing. We have 5 aircraft manufacturers here.

Astrosdawg07
01-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
In South Central Kansas (i.e. Wichita), it's aircraft manufacturing. We have 5 aircraft manufacturers here.

Ya well we got one, EXPLORER Aircraft.

spiveyrat
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Ya well we got one, EXPLORER Aircraft.

And if they would sell some planes, maybe I'd come back! :eek: But they still haven't sold a single plane of the type they "plan" to manufacture in Jasper.

big daddy russ
01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
... we also have the worlds largest Rattlesnake Round-up... You learn something new everyday. I always thought the one in Freer was the world's largest.

AggieJohn
01-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Gossip...

come on, that wasn't a tad bit funny....i quit

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2005, 03:38 PM

I didn't get it.....of course, it is MONDAY!:rolleyes:

HighSchool Fan
01-24-2005, 04:09 PM

finally :wave: :)

wildstangs
01-24-2005, 09:35 PM
They live in Dodge City. Two HUGE feedlots in that town. Cattle trucks are constantly moving down Wyatt Earp.

mustang04
01-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You learn something new everyday. I always thought the one in Freer was the world's largest.

nope my friend...the one in Sweetwater is by far the largest youll ever go to or anyone in the world would ever go to..and its where they go too!

GreenMonster
01-24-2005, 11:52 PM
up here in Iowa Park the number 1 industry is the plastic shrink wrap industry. You know the stuff, saran wrap. What is produced here is what most of the meat you find in your local grocery store comes wrapped in. Yes, those little boxy things Wal-mart uses is still covered by our shrink wrap. ( FYI- The meat in Wal-Mart is actually double covered. The meat arrives gray in color. The first layer of shrink wrap is pulled off before being placed on the shelf allowing a very small amount of oxygen into the package which changes the meat back to a pink color. Neat huh.) Next in line would be Oil and Gas, the School System, and an Air Force base just 8 miles away.

lepfan
01-25-2005, 12:22 AM
They live in Dodge City. Two HUGE feedlots in that town. Cattle trucks are constantly moving down Wyatt Earp.

OK, I am 2 hours west of Dodge....just 14 miles off the Colorado border. This little town of 1800 has 2or 3 big feedlots and at least 2 or 3 dairies...lots of trucking in and out of here too