PDA

View Full Version : Graham's coach to leave!!!

Adidas410s
01-21-2005, 02:14 PM
FINALLY...rumor around town is that Bourquin is leaving to take the Mineral Wells job. Maybe now Graham can make something of a dying program!

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-21-2005, 03:06 PM
If this is true, the new coach will have some big shoes to fill.

superslyguy06
01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
as a student at GHS, all we know for right now is that its just a rumor. but some of my buddies told me this morning that they thought they saw boxes in his office. . .

GOD SAVE THE GRAHAM STEERS!!!

Adidas410s
01-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by superslyguy06
as a student at GHS, all we know for right now is that its just a rumor. but some of my buddies told me this morning that they thought they saw boxes in his office. . .

maybe God HAS saved the Graham Steers by getting rid of Bourquin...

aforbs19
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
what does that guy coach

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by aforbs19
what does that guy coach more over, what is so bad that its a good thing he is leaving?

CRHSeagle
01-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Im thinking that its his whole offensive scheme. They run the veer offense with two split backs. It has been somewhat effective in winning games but they havent made it past the first round in a while.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-21-2005, 05:49 PM
i can understand that. having a static team isnt really good for winning games. hey did you see the top 40 games? the cb/lw game didnt make any list!! what kind of crap is that?!?! you guys and our guys played the crap out of some football that night!!!

CRHSeagle
01-21-2005, 06:33 PM
i know:mad: ! That is my most memorable moment in my highschool athletic career. That game could have gone either way. Not sure why that game wasn't top 40 material. Its not like the game wasnt important. It was a rivalry game and playoff hopes were on the line.

bullfrog_alumni_02
01-21-2005, 06:39 PM
yea, but iwhat gets me is that it wasnt even given a nod in the a-b-c columns. so that means they didnt really care. whatever.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-21-2005, 07:42 PM
I can say that I would be glad to see Graham get a coaching change. That is because in the past 5 years my Lions haven't been able to beat Bourquin's teams. Predictable or not. Heck the 2003 team was very, very good and lost 27-7 and two years before that the 2001 team had Benard Scott and about the best athletes that Vernon has put out...the result a loss to Graham at home no less. Both of those Vernon teams had great playoff success.

Bourquin has acomplished a very hard task in winning district 5 years straight with the likes of IP and Vernon in the same district.

Becareful what you wish for Graham fans. But if it is true then maybe my Lions have a chance next year!

vet93
01-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Z....I was thinking the same thing. Lets not forget that some of those first round losses were against some great teams too!! How long was it before Bobby Bowden could win the "big one" or Mack Brown etc...The man must have been doing something right. I would imagine that most of the district is like Z-motion in their relief that their tormentor is leaving. Hopefully Graham can attract a good replacement that fits the community!

Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I can say that I would be glad to see Graham get a coaching change. That is because in the past 5 years my Lions haven't been able to beat Bourquin's teams. Predictable or not. Heck the 2003 team was very, very good and lost 27-7 and two years before that the 2001 team had Benard Scott and about the best athletes that Vernon has put out...the result a loss to Graham at home no less. Both of those Vernon teams had great playoff success.

Bourquin has acomplished a very hard task in winning district 5 years straight with the likes of IP and Vernon in the same district.

Becareful what you wish for Graham fans. But if it is true then maybe my Lions have a chance next year!

superslyguy06
01-25-2005, 02:58 PM
after talking to some friends at lunch today i was told that it is now for sure. they told me one of the coaches told them that this morning.

VWG
01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Graham should not be happy that Bourquin is leaving.
Look at his overall record at Graham. Yes, the Steers haven't made it past a first round playoff game in a while but look at their games. Double OT loss to Wylie, nail biter against Ballinger, another close loss to Wylie, close game in the Mustang Bowl against Sweetwater (lost home field coin toss), etc... the only real blowout was this year against Gainesville and they were down to 2nd string then JV QB and without their workhorse dist. MVP fullback. (Not saying they would win, but it sure could have helped)

What people don't realize in some communities, that a coach that can win... with whatever offense he brings to the table.... needs to be kept. If the guy isn't a horse's behind or he does something totally stupid then why let him go? Kids are coming out for football in good numbers, wins district championships, etc... the only bad part about the whole program is the drought in the playoffs.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I would hope the next HC over in Graham will be able to win consistently year in and year out like Bourquin has.
Now... if I was hiring my short list would be to persuade Jackson from Sweetwater to come over to Graham. Or, go get the coach at 1A Windthorst, get some proven winners to keep that program strong.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by VWG

I don't know if this is true or not, but I would hope the next HC over in Graham will be able to win consistently year in and year out like Bourquin has.
Now... if I was hiring my short list would be to persuade Jackson from Sweetwater to come over to Graham. Or, go get the coach at 1A Windthorst, get some proven winners to keep that program strong.

The coach at Windthorst would probably be a good fit if he even wanted to leave. Who wouldn't leave Windthorst for Graham though? Anyway, he has I think 1 or maybe two kids that play. His son is a QB and I think he is a sophmore could be a freshman. But he is good.

I would be interested to know if Bourquin was leaving for a significant pay increase or if he was just ready for a change of scenery. He was sure a thorn in Vernon's side the past five years. He beat both our regional championship team as well as our quarterfinal champion team over the past three years. Heck things went bad (Injury to the distrist MVP) for them this year and they still beat Vernon.

someonewhoknows
01-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Mineral Wells put their money where their Mouth was! He got a significant pay raise around $10,00.00 more than he made in Graham last year plus perks and not all the headaches assoc. with being AD! Great hire for the Well. 27 years head coaching experience, 12 years in the playoffs Could easily win 7 or 8 games and make the playoffs next year! Incredible motivator and one of the most positive people you will ever meet! You can bash the veer all you want but look at the offensive totals and wins he has had with it over the years and Mineral Wells may just be a good fit for that offense. I believe that Bourquin thrashed MW when he played them in the past with that offense! Best wishes to a class act!

VWG
01-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by someonewhoknows
Mineral Wells put their money where their Mouth was! He got a significant pay raise around $10,00.00 more than he made in Graham last year plus perks and not all the headaches assoc. with being AD! Great hire for the Well. 27 years head coaching experience, 12 years in the playoffs Could easily win 7 or 8 games and make the playoffs next year! Incredible motivator and one of the most positive people you will ever meet! You can bash the veer all you want but look at the offensive totals and wins he has had with it over the years and Mineral Wells may just be a good fit for that offense. I believe that Bourquin thrashed MW when he played them in the past with that offense! Best wishes to a class act!

From an outsider looking in... Why wouldn't Graham be able to pay more $$ than Mineral Wells? Or.... Does MW, who isn't known for their athletic programs in any sport, sit on a gold mine over there? Seems to me Graham would have a better reputation of a $$$ town.

superslyguy06
01-25-2005, 11:55 PM
he was leaving for a pay increase. ive heard between an extra 15-20,000

Roll'em up
01-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Rumor has it (and it is just that right now) that Bourquin is retiring and going to MW just to be head FB coach. If so what a deal for him. Good Luck to him and MW.