PDA

View Full Version : Who & how many have played ?

footballgal
02-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Need some help with some info: (3A players only)
Who & how many have played College or Pro football from your school?

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

Old Tiger
02-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Rockdale has probably around 15 that have. The newest is Stryker Sulak who will be heading to Missouri

footballgal
02-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Old Tiger:
Rockdale has probably around 15 that have. The newest is Stryker Sulak who will be heading to MissouriCan you give me some schools to some of them they played at?

Stryker Sulak, now there is a name for you... I can see that fit right in the pros, and mentioned on ESPN Sports Center. :)

<small>[ February 25, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

footballgal
02-25-2004, 06:33 PM
<small>[ February 25, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

Old Tiger
02-25-2004, 07:21 PM
UH, Rice, Texas A&M, SHSU, and UMHB are the only ones that i've seen pictures of them in the college uniforms....

scotty
02-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Response to Football gal:

These long winter nights give us a lot of time to think of things and look forward to something to respond to.
You brought out a good subject. This is a bit lengthy and may be much more than you are looking for, but chances are readers may be impressed with the football played in Austin County.
Some of these accomplishments were made before both Sealy and Bellville became 3A schools.
A few years back they changed the classifications and instead of having a Class B it changed to Class A and all of the schools jumped up a notch.
When Sealy won its state football championship in 1978 it was 2A, but now would have been 3A.
I hope someone from this area reads this post and helps me out by adding the names of players I have surely missed.
First of all Bellville: They have a rich history of fine athletes but in football they have never been able to covet that great prize…a state championship.
Here is a list of names from Bellville that have played college football. Some went on to play pro ball.
Willie Zapalac: Played at Texas A&M in 1940's and later coached for many college and pro teams.
Nolan Luhn: Played at Tulsa and later had some years in pro football. I believe he was a receiver.
Ruben Saage and Willie Froebel: Baylor University mid 1950's. The late Saage may have been the most feared football player in the history of Austin County… a great running back/linebacker who put fear in opponent's hearts.
Daniel Brast: Wharton Junior College/Rice University.
Ernie Koy Jr.: University of Texas and New York Giants. Koy starred for Texas and had a great game in the Orange Bowl when Texas defeated Alabama and Bear Bryant's Crimson Tide along with Joe Namath.
Joe Ed Lynn and Delton Fick: Sam Houston State University. Lynn was All-Conference and may have made some All-America teams.
Harvey Aschenbeck: Texas A&M played on Gene Stallings team that defeated Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. Aschenbeck was an undersized defensive tackle who started for the Aggies several seasons.
Ted Koy: University of Texas in Austin. He was a captain on the national championship team that defeated Arkansas in the big shootout up in Arkansas. Koy later played pro ball for I believe the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders.
Ted Lamp: Texas A&M defensive lineman who earned the coveted Heart Award at A&M.
Paul Albert: SMU offensive lineman.
Hunter Goodwin: Texas A&M and Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins in the pros. He is currently with Vikings as a tight end.
There are numerous other Bellville players that are in college playing football but I'm no longer familiar with their accomplishments.
SEALY:
Ernie Koy Sr.: All-America in both football and baseball at the University of Texas. Koy later played baseball with the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers. WWII cut his career short but Koy remains a legend in Austin County. Sealy continues to claim him, but Koy has lived in Bellville for y ears and they want to claim him as well. He is in his 90's and unless you are in good shape don't try to outrun him.
Buster Babel and Melvin Preibisch: They both played with Koy at Texas.
Floyd Elkings: Played at Texas University.
Dudley Rench: All-America at WCJC and played at Lamar University.
Travis Abel: WCJC and SFA
Leroy Hauerland: Played on the same Texas A&M team with Aschenbeck.
Harvey Stuessel: Lamar University
Harry Pfeffer: Blinn Junior college and Baylor University
Eric Dickerson: Led Sealy to 1978 state football championship. Played in college at SMU and became All-America and leading rusher in SWC while sharing running time with the great Craig James. His NFL career is a legend. Dickerson has been the top ground gainer in every league he played in since the seventh grade. He rushed for more yards in less years than anyone in NFL history. Dickerson's single season rushing record continues to stand. Dickerson was a first ballot electee to the NFL Hall of Fame. His credentials make him the best athlete in Austin County history.
Sealy really surfaced in football during the 1990's when they were the winningest 3A team in the decade.
During one stretch they compiled a 63-1 record when they won the four in a row state championships. Sealy missed one season when they went out in the first round and came back to play for the state championship again in 1999 when they were defeated by Commerce 17-10 for the crown. Commerce was a three-time state finalist Sealy opponent.
Sealy had only a handful of players who went on to play Division I football from those teams but were made up of great high school players. Coach T.J. Mills put together a great staff of coaches and they coached those kids to the hilt. Only Chase Schavrada SMU and Derek Curry Notre Dame made a good splash in Division I football from those championship Sealy teams.
The rest of the team was made up of little tough kids who flew to the football on every play. Losing wasn't part of their vocabulary.
Commerce Coach Steve Lineweaver said after one of the championship games against Sealy that his kids told him they never played against a team of players that went so hard from whistle to whistle as the Sealy Tigers did. "In the future I want my kids to play that same way," he said.
If you are at a school where they have great athletes and teams…you better enjoy it because it won't last forever. scotty

scotty
02-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Response to Football gal:

These long winter nights give us a lot of time to think of things and look forward to something to respond to.
You brought out a good subject. This is a bit lengthy and may be much more than you are looking for, but chances are readers may be impressed with the football played in Austin County.
Some of these accomplishments were made before both Sealy and Bellville became 3A schools.
A few years back they changed the classifications and instead of having a Class B it changed to Class A and all of the schools jumped up a notch.
When Sealy won its state football championship in 1978 it was 2A, but now would have been 3A.
I hope someone from this area reads this post and helps me out by adding the names of players I have surely missed.
First of all Bellville: They have a rich history of fine athletes but in football they have never been able to covet that great prize…a state championship.
Here is a list of names from Bellville that have played college football. Some went on to play pro ball.
Willie Zapalac: Played at Texas A&M in 1940's and later coached for many college and pro teams.
Nolan Luhn: Played at Tulsa and later had some years in pro football. I believe he was a receiver.
Ruben Saage and Willie Froebel: Baylor University mid 1950's. The late Saage may have been the most feared football player in the history of Austin County… a great running back/linebacker who put fear in opponent's hearts.
Daniel Brast: Wharton Junior College/Rice University.
Ernie Koy Jr.: University of Texas and New York Giants. Koy starred for Texas and had a great game in the Orange Bowl when Texas defeated Alabama and Bear Bryant's Crimson Tide along with Joe Namath.
Joe Ed Lynn and Delton Fick: Sam Houston State University. Lynn was All-Conference and may have made some All-America teams.
Harvey Aschenbeck: Texas A&M played on Gene Stallings team that defeated Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. Aschenbeck was an undersized defensive tackle who started for the Aggies several seasons.
Ted Koy: University of Texas in Austin. He was a captain on the national championship team that defeated Arkansas in the big shootout up in Arkansas. Koy later played pro ball for I believe the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders.
Ted Lamp: Texas A&M defensive lineman who earned the coveted Heart Award at A&M.
Paul Albert: SMU offensive lineman.
Hunter Goodwin: Texas A&M and Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins in the pros. He is currently with Vikings as a tight end.
There are numerous other Bellville players that are in college playing football but I'm no longer familiar with their accomplishments.
SEALY:
Ernie Koy Sr.: All-America in both football and baseball at the University of Texas. Koy later played baseball with the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers. WWII cut his career short but Koy remains a legend in Austin County. Sealy continues to claim him, but Koy has lived in Bellville for y ears and they want to claim him as well. He is in his 90's and unless you are in good shape don't try to outrun him.
Buster Babel and Melvin Preibisch: They both played with Koy at Texas.
Floyd Elkings: Played at Texas University.
Dudley Rench: All-America at WCJC and played at Lamar University.
Travis Abel: WCJC and SFA
Leroy Hauerland: Played on the same Texas A&M team with Aschenbeck.
Harvey Stuessel: Lamar University
Harry Pfeffer: Blinn Junior college and Baylor University
Eric Dickerson: Led Sealy to 1978 state football championship. Played in college at SMU and became All-America and leading rusher in SWC while sharing running time with the great Craig James. His NFL career is a legend. Dickerson has been the top ground gainer in every league he played in since the seventh grade. He rushed for more yards in less years than anyone in NFL history. Dickerson's single season rushing record continues to stand. Dickerson was a first ballot electee to the NFL Hall of Fame. His credentials make him the best athlete in Austin County history.
Sealy really surfaced in football during the 1990's when they were the winningest 3A team in the decade.
During one stretch they compiled a 63-1 record when they won the four in a row state championships. Sealy missed one season when they went out in the first round and came back to play for the state championship again in 1999 when they were defeated by Commerce 17-10 for the crown. Commerce was a three-time state finalist Sealy opponent.
Sealy had only a handful of players who went on to play Division I football from those teams but were made up of great high school players. Coach T.J. Mills put together a great staff of coaches and they coached those kids to the hilt. Only Chase Schavrada SMU and Derek Curry Notre Dame made a good splash in Division I football from those championship Sealy teams.
The rest of the team was made up of little tough kids who flew to the football on every play. Losing wasn't part of their vocabulary.
Commerce Coach Steve Lineweaver said after one of the championship games against Sealy that his kids told him they never played against a team of players that went so hard from whistle to whistle as the Sealy Tigers did. "In the future I want my kids to play that same way," he said.
If you are at a school where they have great athletes and teams…you better enjoy it because it won't last forever. scotty

footballgal
02-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks, for the great info. scotty! I really enjoyed reading it, twice :D !
Nah, really thanks alot.

jykoy
02-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Scotty,
Great information. Was that off the top of your head?

scotty
02-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Yes off the top of my head with the help of a few glasses of good red win to refresh my memory.

scotty
02-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes off the top of my head with the help of a few glasses of good red wine to refresh my memory.

spiveyrat
02-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Jasper has had a bunch... I'm not even going to try. I'm sure some others could do a better job than I...

Cat22
02-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Orangefield has not had many kids go to Div. 1 schools. They have had some go to Div. 2 schools or smaller. The best to come from Orangefield was Jeff Granger. He was an outstanding QB and Baseball pitcher. He was the starting quarterback for Texas A&M in 1992 (I think that's the correct year), but concentrated more on baseball and was a first round draft pick by the Royals in 1993. He is the all time strike out leader at Texas A&M. I think he could have made it in the NFL probably as a backup QB.

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Cat22 ]</small>

footballgal
02-26-2004, 03:31 PM
spiveyrat:
Jasper has had a bunch... I'm not even going to try. I'm sure some others could do a better job than I...Well please try, at least name the ones you can remember or know of.

Tiger Turtle
02-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Nobody knows the history of Austin County HS football better than Scotty. You might add Rolf Krueger at Rice to the list. He might not have made a big splash yet, but he seems to be getting pretty regular pt. I didn't know Aschenbeck was from Sealy. Remember him well from the A&M days.

sahen
02-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Liberty has had some I remember:
Tony Bua (Arkansas) will prolly go inthe draft this year and is the all time leading tackler at Arkansas
Anthony Chambers (Purdue) alltime leading kick returner in yards at Purdue, i have heard rumors of him staying in black in gold and going to the Saints this coming year, but they r just rumors!
Reggie White (junior college and then some D-1 school i cant remember) he was supposed to be drafted last year so he left college early, for some reason he didnt get picked and is re-entering this year i think...so we will see how that happens...
John Arnold (Georgetown) O-lineman there right now
and im sure there r more that some other people from that area can help me with...

<small>[ February 27, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: sahen ]</small>

sahen
02-27-2004, 12:42 PM
I remembered another one
Donald Douglas (U of Houston) played receiver and set some records there in the early 90s...i dunno if any still stand but he played for a number of NFL teams and i think played in NFL Europe..the only team i remember seeing him playing for in the NFL though was the Giants....

hsfan
02-27-2004, 05:58 PM
scotty do you rember a rb from slendora by the name of donald moore during sealy's 1978 championship season?

Buckeye80
02-27-2004, 06:13 PM
We've had about 10 or so kids play in college, but none bigger than Red Jones '92. He got a basketball/football "full ride" to SHSU. He was being scouted by the Raiders until he tore up an ankle.
Tony Darden (same class) would have played college football, but went into the Florida Marlins system instead. He is now a high school baseball coach in Florida.
Another, my very good friend and possibly my favorite of all Gilmer athletes was DT John "Daddy" Huston '95 who went on to play one stellar season at Kilgore College before turning to life as a "half computer". He is currently in Dallas doing some heavy duty computer stuff.

Matthew328
02-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Lets see at Everman we have had 2 guys that I know of play in the NFL..

Barron Wortham who played for the Oilers, Titans and Cowboys...he also starred at UTEP....

Andre President who played TE for the Pats for a spell...he didn't even play college football he was a college basketball player..

Everman has had a number of guys play Div I football recently, including

Terrance Malone who played LB at Oklahoma in the mid 90's

Barry Browning who was a safety at TCU in the mid 90's

Terrance Cook also played safety at TCU in the mid 90's

James Polk now a coach at Kennedale played some at Hawaii in the late 90's..I think...LOL

John Turntine was a D-Lineman at TCU from 99-2002

Derrus Wilson played CB at BYU 2001-2002

Jermaine Granbury played at Temple in 2001 before transferring to Mississippi Valley St.

Corey Connally who went to Crowley his senior year but spent every other year of school K-11 at Everman played TB at TCU...

Montrell Parks is currently playing SS at North Texas..

Blaine and Johnathan Harrell are currently at New Mexico...

Nick Clark was at Navy but I beleive he transferred to Texas St.

Brian Jones will be playing at Texas Tech next year and Craig Boatwright would have been playing at TCU if not for his tragic passing..

There have been a TON of kids come through Everman and play Div 2 or 3 or 1-AA and JUCO so many I can't even begin to list them..let me give props to my boy JW Scott who played at Everman from 93-96 who was a memeber of the 1998 JUCO national championship team at Trinity Valley CC...JW went on to star at Div 2 East Central Oklahoma..

kepdawg
02-27-2004, 11:25 PM
spiveyrat:
Jasper has had a bunch... I'm not even going to try. I'm sure some others could do a better job than I...How many of Jasper's guys played 3A ball?

scotty
02-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Tiger Turtle: Please re-read the post. Harvey Aschenbeck played in Bellville. He's a great friend but if he ever read that he was from Sealy I'm afraid this site would absolutely explode. I have him posted correctly…he played in Bellville. He was between the Koys, Ernie and Ted. He played with Ted but Bellville was only a bit above average when he played for the Brahmas… can't remember them making the playoffs.
A year or so later they had a pretty good team and everyone from Bellville believed they would win the state championship. They had kids like Ted Koy, Tommy Dittmar, Mike Strauss, Bill Knolle and several West-End kids Eckermann and Rudloff and advanced to, I believe the third round of the playoffs and were defeated by a little bunch of Bohemians from Needville.
The game was played in Rosenberg. Needville had a little tough fellow named Horak who gave Bellville fits. The folks from Bellville didn't believe they had any business beating the Brahmas. It had to be their coach. (does any of that sound familiar?) But I believe Roland Conrad was the coach at Needville at the time and he was just outstanding.
Dittmar, a great young man, signed a baseball contract out of high school with Cincinnati, played a few years in the minor leagues but didn't make it big, and went to coaching. I believe he is in Albany now.
Strauss played baseball at A&M and now works offshore. Rudloff and Eckermann were both signed on to play football at A&M but I don't believe either ever played there. Knolle became an attorney.
Rolf Krueger is at Rice, but the jury is still out on him, hopefully he makes it big. Two other Austin County boys John Syptak and Garrett Dornan from Bellville are also at Rice. Syptak wasn't red shirted and played enough to letter as a freshman and started as a sophomore. Dornan re-injured his knee and is looking for a big year next season. Jordan Shoquest from Bellville and Colorado County is now at Texas-El Paso and so is Matt Siska from Sealy. I really didn't want to get into those younger guys until they proved themselves, but Tiger Turtle, you brought it up and I do know about them. If the long winter nights keep up and the red wine keeps flowing you have only scratched the surface, I assure you. And by the way, Gary Pless from Sealy played at A&M at about the same time Ted Lamp did. They are first cousins.
This is fun, keep it coming. scotty

Gasilla
02-28-2004, 04:16 PM
At WO-S:
Earnest Anderson - Okla State - NY Giants
Tony January - Houston - Canadian FB League
Kerry Franks Sr. - Baylor
Lawrence Hardin - Texas A&M
Ray Rogers - Houston
Louis Moore - Lamar
Harold Green - Okla State
George Levias - Lamar
Eric Williams - Texas
Jason Woods - Utah
Mike Moore - McNeese
Pat Arnett - Texas A&I
Rick Orebo - LSU
Ron Henson - Lamar
Bryan Cleveland - Georgia
Scotty Littleton - Texas Tech
Steven Lee - Lamar
Chris Ori - Texas Tech
Kevin Williams - Texas A&M - Dallas Cowboys
Quinton Tezeno - Houston
Donovan Gans - Prairie View A&M
Tremaine Lewis - Murray St.
Kendall Cleveland - LSU
Chris Cole - Texas A&M - Denver Broncos
Jiles Cole - Texas A&I
Paul Thomas - Texas A&I
Tim Feathers - Houston
Gary McClelland - ETBU
Jermaine Feathers - ?
Jermaine Hope - Tulsa
Jeff Thibodeaux - Tulsa
Michael Ledet - Tulsa
Vonteer Edwards - McNeese
Gayron Allen - Oklahoma
Kerry Franks Jr. - Texas A&M

I know ther are others I can't remember, any WO-S fans, help me out.

<small>[ March 01, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Gasilla ]</small>

scotty
02-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Hs-fan: Yes I remember Donald Moore. He was a small running back who gained tons of yards. The time I saw him play was against Sealy and the game was played in Tulley Stadium, I believe. Sealy was just too much for Splendora that night but Moore did make some yardage. I don't know for sure if the story is true, but he was supposed to have twisted Eric Dickerson's ankle during a pileup and it caused a pretty bad sprain. Dickerson missed most of the game against Hamshire-Fannett the next week and as a result, Sealy came very near losing to the Longhorns on their way to the state championship. Dickerson was put into the contest late and scored on a couple of long runs to help pull the Tigers out. This was Dickerson's first high school injury.
Moore has a son, but I don't remember who he played for but Sealy ran into him somewhere in the playoffs. They were good players.

hsfan
02-28-2004, 07:13 PM
jr. played for spl. also.spl.lost to bh moore's sr. year.from what i rember he went to tech got moved to rec and then quit.he held the national record for int's up until about 5 years ago.i watched him play a few times and enjoyed it.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Our biggest Star has to be James Dixon, Dallas Cowboys.

Most recent DI - Chedrick Ricks - Baylor

But we have had lots of athletes play DII.

BigChamp05
02-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Bandera doesn't have that many i don't think. i know Brett Hicks from the 2002 team plays at Sam Houston, Dustin Heep, the running back plays at the University of Debuque. Colton Sells, gaurd, plays at Texas A&M. ummm, we had alot go to littler schools. I know Andy Blount, 2001, plays fullback at North Texas. Todd Knutson plays tight end at A&M Kingsville, 2001. His brother played at Texas A&M a while back. And my brother graduated in 2000 and played tackle at The University of Oklahoma.

Old Green
02-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Cuero has had a few play Div. 1 football. I can't remember them all .

Henry Sheppard- SMU- Cleveland Browns
Alois Blackwell- UH- Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City
Arthur Whittington - SMU -Oakland Raiders- Has A superbowl ring
Dedric Mathis-UH -Indianapolis Colts
Brad Goebel- Baylor- Philadelphia Eagles
Clint Finley - Nebraska -Kansas City Chiefs
Matt Anderson- UT -Pittsburg Steelers
Melvin Barnett - Baylor - Oakland Raiders
Marion Harper - SMU
David Hill - SMU -Principal at Sealy HS
Carl "Trooper" Taylor- Baylor- Coach at LSU
Robert Strait - Baylor
Wes Kubesch- Rice
Adam Arroyo- Baylor
Don Arroyo- Baylor
Lucien Johnson- UT-El Paso
Nathaniel Johnson- UT- El Paso
Garrett Pennington-Plays at Rice
Cody Wallace - Plays at Texas A&M
Andrew Heard- Plays at Texas Tech
John Post- Baylor ? Correct me if I'm wrong
Brady Urbanovsky- Signed with Air Force
James Thornton - New Mexico State
Kevin Parma - Wyoming
Joel Sheppard- Baylor
Tommy Bluntzer- Baylor
LaVar Jenkins - UT
Brice Price - Norht Texas

<small>[ February 29, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Old Green ]</small>

Gobbla2001
02-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Yah, Garrett's pitching for the defending Nat'l Champs, that's pretty tight...

Dang, what was his name? Jenkins ?(spelling?) Played at UT with Matt...

Brice Price went to North Texas, dunno what happened there though...

Gobbla2001 played for LSU this past year, but it was just an experiment, woulda sucked without me...

Old Green
02-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Yea, I forgot about Lavar Jenkins DB went to Texas also. There were 5 Div. 1 signees off the 95 team. Seems there was one more.

jykoy
03-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Robert Koy was a back-up quarterback and play caller for the University of Texas. He is the Offensive Coordinator at Greensboro College in North Carolina now.

CS_WILDCATS
03-02-2004, 01:16 AM
In Carrizo Springs the one that comes to mind is John Ayers. He play for the University of Texas and went on to play for the S.F. 49ers. during the Montana era.

footballgal
03-02-2004, 10:19 AM
I just remembered one from Cotulla High School, yes that's right I said Cotulla High School. Mike Whitwell, (his sister was my classmate)he played for the Texas A& M Aggies had some kind ofrecords there and then when on to play with the Cleveland Browns in the early 80's.