PDA

View Full Version : Region III defending Champ Bridge City 30, Liberty 8

Old Cardinal
09-13-2002, 11:42 PM
Bridge City soared ahead 24-Zip on the kickoff of the second half. Bridge City speed-demon, Michael "The Moose" Gauthier showed his great speed on an 87 yard, kickoff, TD scamper. Gauthier, and of course, Matt Peebles ran wild. Peebles getting in TWO 61 yard TD's. He is over 400+ yards in two games and is being used Sparingly! At this rate, he can finish the regular season's games with 2000 to 3000 yards rushing. One of the biggest 3A contest of the season, pits Newton and Bridge City next Friday night for the COLLEGE SCOUT'S BOWL. Half of Newton's fans say this is the "greatest team in Newton History". While the more modest fans say, "this is the fastest most overall quick team in Newton history!" It should be a good one, with Bridge City making no preposterious claims, just merryily pointing out that Bridge City has been the District Track Champions over Newton for the last two years, in their previous District......BC dominated tonight, playing a host of players from the beginning, giving Liberty a late "courtesy" TD in the 4th Quarter and touching the knee deep in Liberty territory by the substitutes, to end the ballgame..... Don't sell Liberty short; however, they will be a Division II Playoff team again this year.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 13, 2002).]

exbccards76'smom
09-13-2002, 11:45 PM
Glad to see our Big Red Machine winning. I will finally get to be at a ballgame next week!! I was off last week to be able to go, but had to work tonight.

GO BIG RED!!!!!

EAGLEBLUE
09-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Good job Cards!! As I'm sure you have heard we got a whippin' last night by some pretty nasty gators!! But this post is about your Cards. Congratulations!

[This message has been edited by EAGLEBLUE (edited September 14, 2002).]

sinton66
09-14-2002, 08:56 AM
Congratulations Cardinals, keep up the good work!

3A Roy
09-14-2002, 11:55 AM
Old Cardinal,
The only reason Bridge City has beaten Newton in the track meets is because they win all of the long distance races and more field events. Newton beat Bridge City in all of the sprint races. Long distance doesn't have too much to do with football! See y'all in Bridge City. Could BC be the first to score against Newton? THAT WILL BE TOUGH!

Old Cardinal
09-14-2002, 12:47 PM
3A Roy, I seem to remember that Peebles alone won the 200 Meter, the Hurdles and second in the Long Jump. Yes, his time is much better than your 100 meter man, but you can only enter so many running events, that's a rule. He was not scheduled to go ahead and win the 100 meter, they are trying to prepare him to go all the way in the hurdles, as a Senior. Yes, BC did win many distance races, but that just added to the embarrassment for Newton in the point spread.

3A Roy
09-14-2002, 01:31 PM
I appologize Old Cardinal. I just got on here to correct myself by saying that Matt Peebles was able to compete with Newton in many of the races. What I meant was Newton did not have anyone to run long distance races and Bridge City won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in most of the long distance races. Overall, I think Newton has more team speed than Bridge City. It was evident on the field last year, and Newton is even quicker this year. The Cards will be seeing it this week. I would also like for you to point out one person who has said that this is the best team Newton has ever fielded. Newton, unlike Bridge City, has fielded too many great teams to say that one is "the best" this early in a season. Newton does have a great defense and a LOT of team speed. Newton will win this week!

[This message has been edited by 3A Roy (edited September 14, 2002).]

BWK/LBP
09-14-2002, 04:16 PM
Not that it matters or anything but i remember peeble getting beat in the hurdles by Kedrin Seastrunk in district but in the regional or whatever peeble won. And also newton had like 10 people on the track team and bc had probably 3 times as many people. Anyways track dont mean nothin in football if you cant get into open field.

9's Mom
09-14-2002, 05:05 PM
OLD CARDINAL...BH HAS THE WEEK OFF...WHERE ARE YOU PLAYING FRIDAY NIGHT? HOME OR AWAY? I THINK SOME EAGLES MAY BE INTERESTED TO KNOW. CONGRATS ON THE WIN AND GOOD LUCK NEXT WEEK. BY THE WAY, THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION YOU SUPPLY TO ALL US SPORTS FANS!

Old Cardinal
09-14-2002, 05:33 PM
To Nines Mom, The game is at Bridge City. It was at BC last year(then a Dist. Game), but these two teams scheduled each other for another knock-down-and-drag-out. In the last two years, each team has had an experience of being knocked down royally! They compete in different Districts now........ Like BH scheduling Dickinson; sometimes you just have to have a nose-to-nose rivalery, with good sportsmanship being displayed. Sometimes, you just have to put it all-on-the-line, against a good team. Torch the Polls! All they want is to get the big point spread, so play worthless teams-beat them bad, and the Polls just love ya!.... Newton is good, most polls are ranking them as the top Division II school in the State.

Old Cardinal
09-14-2002, 05:49 PM
To 3A Roy, Bridge City has a little speed, Jeremy Bird scooped up a fumble and went 45 yard last night with Liberty defenders having a pretty good angle on him. Those 3 year starters can make things happen! Michael "The Moose" Gauthier is a stride or so behind Peebles on the 100 meter. We have some new folks,example, Sophmore Jon Landry, caught Josh Chagerois, from LCM last game, and Liberty's fastest last night, from behind......I don't see Newton as sprint- fast overall, just a bunch of, extremely quick, for 15-20 yards, people. That's why you are the #1 team in Division II size teams in the State! Tell me about Newton's fastest guys in your opinion?

3A Roy
09-14-2002, 09:02 PM
I am not sure the exact speeds on everyone, so I really would be fibbing if I said many speeds. Lance, Coy, or Duckbutter... do you know exacts? None of these posts are to take anything away from your team Old Cardinal. Y'all have a very good football team that should be more widely respected accross the state, because BC will be there in the end again this year. It will be a close game this week!

Old Cardinal
09-14-2002, 09:36 PM
You know Roy, I really think Newton has too much going for them this year to not win it all(Div II), or at least make the finals. I can't see L. Spring Hill, Daingerfield, Atlanta, or any others touted by the polls even crowding your program. On the other hand, BC has to face probably Barber's Hill, then,it could be, the winner of Navasota and Elgin. If they progressed that far then they face Jasper, with BC trying to defend their Region III Championship. At this point, Jasper looks pretty overwhelming to me. Maybe on a good night your guy's can take them. Jasper will win their way to the Region III Championship Playoff by very lop-sided scores.....With the exception of BH, I think BC will also win by lop-sided scores. That type game is a long way off for both of us. I just hope our losing team, either BC or Newton, bounces back like Newton did two years ago and BC did last year, and go ahead and make a run for it.

DAWG 54
09-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Old card, does BC have a good passing game? From what I have seen and heard I know they have a very good running game. Also do they have much size on the lines? Just curious looks like BC will be having another great year and may meet up with us later in he year. (HOPEFULLY for both of us)

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 01:38 PM
I don't know about an all out passing game. I know Peebles caught a couple for 80 yards total, the other night. They have a host of Seniors that catch the ball well-Tristan Barnes,Thomas Hamrick, Jason Myers, Cody Breaux, and Matt Degeyter. Ballard was injured against Liberty, but(TE)Lance Spencer, a big tough Junior, went in and caught a hard-to-catch pass. I don't think they will have to rely on the passing game, like say, Bridgeport is having to do, out West. But, Senior playoff seasoned recievers are sure nice to have around if things kind of bough down. If I were Coaching that team; however, I would throw on nearly every play on the weaker District opponents, just to get the timing down. BC has three good passers, Jamie "Houdini" Knight, Trey Rhodes, both Seniors- and Ben Meyers a Sophmore that may just re-write the books on passing down here before he graduates!......At this point, Jasper would take Bridge City; however, without Jasper in the mix, Bridge City would repeat their Region III Div. I, Championship. A lot can happen between now and the Region III finals. I think these two teams will definately meet at that point in the bracketing. I cannot see where anyone is an absolute overwhelming threat to unseat either team before they meet in the semi-finals. Jasper at this point, could possibly win the 4A Championship this year had they not moved down the 3A.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 15, 2002).]

AggieJohn
09-15-2002, 02:15 PM
HAT'S OFF to BC Cardinals!!!!!

I was at the game Friday night...Peebles is an exceptional RB and is there anything that Knight can't do....i even think i saw him playing the role of a waterboy as well....TO OLD CARDINAL...that fourth quarter TD reception was not a fluke...we have a better QB in our back-up QB...anyway.... Sophmore Shane Smart's arm will make him a contender in the future...as for Newton VS Bridge City...that will be a good game...i can't wait...Liberty and Newton have met up in the playoffs three out of the four last years...with the exception of last year when they met up with BC...this will definately be a game to watch and i'm very exctied to see who take it....my money is on Newton...35-21...being if i was a betting man of course

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 03:27 PM
You are4 right Reserve QB Smart, moves around pretty good. I think Liberty will do just fine this year, outside of all those break-away plays, Liberty and BC were nose-to-nose on line play. Good luck to the Panthers, be a playoff contender!

I BLEED PURPLE
09-15-2002, 09:07 PM
All of Newton's player's run the 40 in 5 flat or lower except for about 2 of the player's.

Old Cardinal
09-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Wow, I thought Bridge City and Jasper could bring a lot of speed to the gridiron. With speeds like that, all under 5 flat, no one will challenge Newton in the Div II brackets. I would love to see Newton and Perryton hook up in the Division II finals!

duckbutter
09-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Newton has speed to burn because we have no size. We have DL and OL that can almost run step for step with our RBs. Our defense held Alphonso to 30 carries for 38 yds. Alphonso had good size, 260 lb OL, and hit harder than any team I've seen except for last yrs Sealy team. They had no coaching and were very unorganized. This weeks game with BC will be a war. On a dry field I will go with Newton's quick swarming defense by 21. On a wet field, weather calls for rain friday, special teams will decide. I don't BC meeting another team with this much overall speed until they meet Jasper in the Region 3 finals. Good luck BC and I hope both teams leave everything they have on the field of battle.

BH_146
09-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Ahh, Bridge City and Jasper are already in the regional finals. Kind of like BC was at one point in the baseball season. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif Be careful,
O C can be contagious.

Old Cardinal
09-16-2002, 08:44 PM
I was sitting here laughing when I read your reply, B_146. I am amazed that ya'll had not jumped in earlier than that...Yes, we all can be wrong, if BC were to play BH with the same baseball teams meeting, I would still take BC.....I really don't think you guys appreciate what a good team you beat in that one game shootout up at Jasper.....FOOTBALL If you read back, I always say that I think BH will be hard to beat in bi-dist., most folks have written you off- I haven't.....I do believe, BC is the stronger team, by a bit. Do you think BH is better?

BH_146
09-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Old Cardinal, I believe our players did apprecieate the type of team they bested that night in Jasper. I think they realized that they simply captured a moment in time. As far as football, BC has to be considered a much better team not only right now but probably by season's end also. We have much to do and little time to figure it out. If some players don't step it up soon, our coaches will be making some tough choices. But I have faith in our players. They may not be big and real fast but they are usually quick learners. And being in the right spot can be the difference between no gain and 6.

Old Cardinal
09-17-2002, 08:42 PM
B_146, Hope you can come over and see the Newton/BC game this Friday. I am sure that BH welcomes this open week to try to re-set their gyroscopes. I can't see you not winning the Div. I berth, so you will get the opportunity to see BC. Everyone is picking Newton, rightfully so, if they truly have the speed that all the Coaches of Newton say they have, then they are an awesome threat to ANY team that faces them.